For the hell of it, the 2019/20 Kit Thread

The9

Due to unforeseen circumstances beyond the control of the Club and our sponsors,

Well that only leaves the manufacturer or the delivery company. Hopefully the contract has a huge late delivery penalty so we can up our bid for Che Adams

Why does it? Does a **** shirt really change how you feel about the team you support? Really? it's a kit, ie the uniform that the players where when they play for the club.

I get the feeling that I am in a minority of not giving a monkeys what that kit looks like - I'm only concerned about what players are wearing the kit and how they play.

I hope you are in a minority if you don't care if the home shirt looks like ****. It's about psychology. It's about pride in the way our heroes look. And how they respond on the pitch while wearing it.

Have you forgotten how Manure had to change their drab grey shirt at half time because they were being thrashed by Saints?

I wouldn't be surprised if Under Armour actually own production, using the myriad of cheap labour factories around the world that they all use, they probably have a specific factory they like that churns out the right standard of product that maximises their margin. Trouble is any other clothing manufacturer with a good buying department will have found the same factory Nike and Adidas volumes might well see them getting the whip hand in production machine time........UA getting Gazumped on sewing machine time.

Last season Goal Keeping shirts were available at the beginning of August by September sold out never to be seen again. Shop said they had no idea if they were going to come in again - they said not to hold out much hope though.

I like UA Golf Shirts but it seems that churning out 10,000+ footie shirts is a bit of a squeeze for them...............................Of course Trump v China could be chucking a spanner in the works.

I hope you are in a minority if you don't care if the home shirt looks like ****. It's about psychology. It's about pride in the way our heroes look. And how they respond on the pitch while wearing it.

Have you forgotten how Manure had to change their drab grey shirt at half time because they were being thrashed by Saints?

I'm with egg. I couldn't care less what the kit looks like as long as it's some variation of red & white.

Not sure what relevance Man Utd's grey kit has. We'd most likely have been winning whatever kit they were wearing. That was just a stupid excuse by Ferguson because he couldn't blame himself for the team's performance.

Haha that’s right! Man U changed their kit at half time because the fan base felt it wasn’t a pretty kit!

I'm with egg. I couldn't care less what the kit looks like as long as it's some variation of red & white.

Not sure what relevance Man Utd's grey kit has. We'd most likely have been winning whatever kit they were wearing. That was just a stupid excuse by Ferguson because he couldn't blame himself for the team's performance.

Saints have been renown for the quality of their design image for some years (dare I say it - since Lowe took over and we played in the new stadium) So why is it suddenly that it's ok for amateurish graphics to become our trademark to the world? Not for me.

Looks ****e....2132eabdadfa40c40ea305e7fb995173.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like a very cheap versacamm print on very, very thin vinyl. They've also messed up the angle of the cut where the part where the logo joins the text. That will split in half really quickly.

Saints have been renown for the quality of their design image for some years (dare I say it - since Lowe took over and we played in the new stadium) So why is it suddenly that it's ok for amateurish graphics to become our trademark to the world? Not for me.

Design image? You mean our own branded horrible kits that someone from this forum helped design.

Looks like a very cheap versacamm print on very, very thin vinyl. They've also messed up the angle of the cut where the part where the logo joins the text. That will split in half really quickly.

I'm assuming this isn't actually a genuine photo, as it looks like it's been done in a school art class by a 5 year old.

The plus side of this if it is genuine, is that it won't take long for the sponsor to come off. Might even be able to get it off straight away with an iron...!

Design image? You mean our own branded horrible kits that someone from this forum helped design.

Any in particular? We've all had a good laugh at forum suggestions.

Shirts, especially striped shirts, are the most difficult product to design, not least because of a clutter of logos that have to be included. But the design needs to to be kept as simple as possible to have a striking impact. Messy logos, like LD Sports, don't help at all.

My favourite Saints home shirt was the one players wore during our Cardif cup final year. Last season's was quite good too despite the size of the Virgin logo (but at least virgin's logo is a simple shape). I hated the 'bra' shirt. I would never wear that. And it doesn't look like I'll be buying this year's offering either.

Any in particular? We've all had a good laugh at forum suggestions.

Shirts, especially striped shirts, are the most difficult product to design, not least because of a clutter of logos that have to be included. But the design needs to to be kept as simple as possible to have a striking impact. Messy logos, like LD Sports, don't help at all.

My favourite Saints home shirt was the one players wore during our Cardif cup final year. Last season's was quite good too despite the size of the Virgin logo (but at least virgin's logo is a simple shape). I hated the 'bra' shirt. I would never wear that. And it doesn't look like I'll be buying this year's offering either.

Yep that was a good one - in fact that was the one that was put to a fans' vote as 1 of 5 (I think) options. I also liked the UEFA Cup shirt the following season (despite the plain red back) and the 05/06 shirt. All own-branded. Perhaps the key is having striped sleeves? That Brentford one above looks decent too! But I fear that's too complicated for UA to manage.

This year they never came below £35, and even now the price is still £35.

Apart from when Sports Direct put the away shirt for sale at £25 two weeks after launch and everyone I know bought one. And when Sport Pesa gave one away just for placing a bet with a new account...

I'm assuming this isn't actually a genuine photo, as it looks like it's been done in a school art class by a 5 year old.

The plus side of this if it is genuine, is that it won't take long for the sponsor to come off. Might even be able to get it off straight away with an iron...!

it is genuine. The one in the club shop window looks exactly like this...it probably is the one in the club shop window.

it is genuine. The one in the club shop window looks exactly like this...it probably is the one in the club shop window.

If that's true, then whoever they got to do the print is an idiot.

The outline of the backing layer should avoid any sharp angles as they create weak points that tear under stress. The outline of the vinyl should follow the red lines I've added here. It's really easy to fix, too. About a 30 second job on any cutting software.

5uguu8.jpg

I'd probably fix the nodes above the 'L' in LD Sports as well, just to be on the safe side, although they're not quite as bad as the others.

I'm still amazed that in the 21st century, when they're asking for upwards of £50 per shirt, they still can't do better than a cheap bit of glued on vinyl, which will no doubt tear, flake and peel after about three games/washes.

The Friends Provident logos were all fine, why can't we have something like that?

Isnt it entirely possible that the sponsors logo has just been ironed onto the model kit in the shop to show what it will look like and that in terms of how the logo appears that is not the finished result ?

As the logo is slapped on precisely because we didn't have a sponsor when the shirts were being produced, and the rumour about the delay is because we've had to get the sponsors attached post-production, I'm not holding my breath for a better version when they do eventually get released.

Incidentally, with that half-basketball in the LD advert, are we the first Premier League club to feature a ball from a different sport on our sponsor's logo?

Whoever is responsible for the kit at Saints, are you listening? It's not difficult. Just keep it simple. Stick to tradition and keep it classy, just like Feyenoord have done with their new shirt. Most Saints fans would kill for something like this...

https://www.footyheadlines.com/2019/03/feyenoord-19-20-home-kit.html

As the logo is slapped on precisely because we didn't have a sponsor when the shirts were being produced, and the rumour about the delay is because we've had to get the sponsors attached post-production, I'm not holding my breath for a better version when they do eventually get released.

Incidentally, with that half-basketball in the LD advert, are we the first Premier League club to feature a ball from a different sport on our sponsor's logo?

It is spurious to suggest that a sensor's logo and the design of the shirt cannot be seamlessly designed together. We are not a club that depends on charity handouts to be able to afford a professional design worthy of a top club. Aren't LD supposed to be paying to sponsor the shirt?

And since the shirts have been withheld because of whatever ball-ups, why not rethink the total design.

There is no reason why the white stripe shouldn't be wide enough to accommodate the full LD logo.

And I thought that chinese lettering was vertical. So why not have it within the white stripe so that ir doesn't cross-over stripes.

Then get a half descent designer to finish the job ffs. - Including the LD basketball.

It is spurious to suggest that a sensor's logo and the design of the shirt cannot be seamlessly designed together. We are not a club that depends on charity handouts to be able to afford a professional design worthy of a top club. Aren't LD supposed to be paying to sponsor the shirt?

And since the shirts have been withheld because of whatever ball-ups, why not rethink the total design.

There is no reason why the white stripe shouldn't be wide enough to accommodate the full LD logo.

And I thought that chinese lettering was vertical. So why not have it within the white stripe so that ir doesn't cross-over stripes.

Then get a half descent designer to finish the job ffs. - Including the LD basketball.

That should read 'sponser's logo , of course.

It's in no way spurious to suggest that a sponsor (sic) that wasn't known when the kit was designed wouldn't be involved in the design process. In fact, it would have been entirely impossible.

Training kit looks decent pretty decent, sponsor looks nice on the training kit too. Wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't how the sponsor is put on the away shirt (and maybe a navy version on the third kit). Home kit might still need the surround though.

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2019-07-01/video-southampton-squad-return-for-day-one-of-pre-season-testing

I really don't understand why they don't sublimation print the sponsor onto the kits these days. They can do some pretty great stuff with it and it would be more comfortable and breathable than a bloody great lump of vinyl, too.

custom-font-b-soccer-b-font-jersey-Football-training-suit-font-b-full-b-font-sublimation.jpg

Could easily print whatever design you want onto a shirt with it and don't have to worry about it coming off again.

full-sublimation-template-clapham-anniversary.jpg

It's in no way spurious to suggest that a sponsor (sic) that wasn't known when the kit was designed wouldn't be involved in the design process. In fact, it would have been entirely impossible.

Any internationally know organisation would rethink and act when it has created a disaster. It is never too late.

Whoever is responsible for the kit at Saints, are you listening? It's not difficult. Just keep it simple. Stick to tradition and keep it classy, just like Feyenoord have done with their new shirt. Most Saints fans would kill for something like this...

https://www.footyheadlines.com/2019/03/feyenoord-19-20-home-kit.html

Let's be honest though. There would be plenty of fans who would moan that the shirt was 'boring' or 'dull' etc. The sponsor is pretty naff, but we have had worse imho - the Flybe logo was dreadful in every guise. I do like the look of the third shirt but will reserve judgement until I see actual examples.

That works well in sky blue and white, not sure if it would be so good in red and white as the original often looked red and pink from the stands.

Away kit is also impressive, same design but yellow and navy, a far better combination than our grey and yellow.

http://www.footballshirtculture.com/19/20-Kits/coventry-city-2019-2020-hummel-away-kit.html

That works well in sky blue and white, not sure if it would be so good in red and white as the original often looked red and pink from the stands.

Away kit is also impressive, same design but yellow and navy, a far better combination than our grey and yellow.

http://www.footballshirtculture.com/19/20-Kits/coventry-city-2019-2020-hummel-away-kit.html

Yes I remember the backlash to the pink look. At the time of release it was one of the worst received kits - along with the Pony kit. Time is a great healer though and a lot of people seem to look back on both kits with nostalgia.

• 2 weeks later...
Any internationally know organisation would rethink and act when it has created a disaster. It is never too late.

Hmm, remember 2014 when Cortese left in JANUARY killing the adidas deal as he went, and we had to scramble to get a kit ready for the following season? This is not a small matter - not to mention that there's nothing actually wrong with the home kit and the away and third are epic anyway. I do expect the tacked-on sponsor to look crap though, because... well, I'm not saying it again.

Does anybody know when it may be released for sale yet? (Not that I'll buy it, I think it looks horrible, and my daughters UA shirt is 2 tones of red)

I was in the West Quay shop a couple of days ago and they had no idea when it was due !

At the margins they make, replaced, priority production and airfreight should be mandatory !

Frankly UA should be dumped after this fiasco, I know the whole process and delays such as this are simply inexcusable !

I was in the West Quay shop a couple of days ago and they had no idea when it was due !

At the margins they make, replaced, priority production and airfreight should be mandatory !

Frankly UA should be dumped after this fiasco, I know the whole process and delays such as this are simply inexcusable !

It’s a farce, I was going to buy a kids one as a birthday present (release date supposed to be 29th June, birthday was early July) so they’ve already lost one sale to me. I called the club shop they have no idea when it will be on sale and when I asked if in time for start of the season they just said “hopefully “ . When the product is so expensive and has a limited life of one year not sure how they can justify the price with such delays :mcinnes: