For the hell of it, the 2019/20 Kit Thread

The9

I remember many many many years ago they did at least once. Think it was a choice of 5 kits which you could vote for. The 4 losing shirts were then auctioned. One I remember was like Blackburns blue and white square kit, but obviously in red and white.

Pretty sure that was 2001 (the kit that we had from 2001-2003). Perhaps that's when we made our own kits though.

I remember many many many years ago they did at least once. Think it was a choice of 5 kits which you could vote for. The 4 losing shirts were then auctioned. One I remember was like Blackburns blue and white square kit, but obviously in red and white.

Red and White quarters,a throwback to an early Southampton St Marys kit. Would have been a good choice in my view as it was just before we moved to the new stadium.

Yeah, another one was basically the Monaco shirt. P*mpey fans tried to spoil the vote. I used to have a picture of the 5 shirts but can't seem to find it now.

Pretty sure that was 2001 (the kit that we had from 2001-2003). Perhaps that's when we made our own kits though.

Remember this. The Monaco kit was a bit of a reference to our manager at the time the vote was launced, Glenn Hoddle, who had played for Monaco. Obviously a good job we didn't choose this as GH had p!ssed off by the time we would have been wearing it at the start of the next season of course.

The skates did have a campaign to rig the vote but I don't see that as a reason to disregard the vote now. Nearly 20 years later it would be quite easy to restrict the voting to ST holders & members, or those with a recorded purchase history over however many seasons or ticket purchases (ie other than those who only attend the Liverpool or Ut fixtures) to obtain a reasonable reflection of the supporters choice.

It's not only the designers at UA. You'd have to assume that they presented the club with a few options and somebody actually decided that this was acceptable. Doesn't say much fir the people at the club, does it?

If this was the best one then I dread to think what the others were like?

There certainly seems to be a significant 'disconnect' between those running the club and any interest in what you might loosely term the club's heritage.

Fitzhugh posted on here on some years ago that the sash came about after a discussion he'd had with Andy Oldknow who was briefly part of the management before Cortese dispensed with him. At least he was prepared to consider the background of the club etc. Not sure Gao or Nelly are remotely interested in this, and the current management too timid to bring it to their attention.

Wasn't someone on here telling us last season how he'd been elected to the Supporters Talking Shop (whatever it was called). Perhaps this is an issue to bring up rather than talking about the availability of pre-match burgers.

Edited by Badger

They let us vote on the Yellow away kit too from memory.

By fate that kit would be the cup final shirt.

Will actually struggle to watch them, even on TV, if this kit is real. It is absolutely abominable. Must be the cut-price option we chose through our money laundering shell-ghost company thing.

Is this a "whoosh" moment I'm missing, or are you for real? You'll actually struggle to watch the team you've supported all your life because you don't like the kit they'll be wearing for 20 odd games?

Seriously, people really need some perspective about a sodding football kit. It lasts a season. I'd prefer a kit I liked, and don't rate this alleged one (not as badly as my personal least favourite pony number) but really don't care that much.

Its not as if I start each season deciding who to support based on who has the prettiest kit on the catwalk, is it!

Is this a "whoosh" moment I'm missing, or are you for real? You'll actually struggle to watch the team you've supported all your life because you don't like the kit they'll be wearing for 20 odd games?

Seriously, people really need some perspective about a sodding football kit. It lasts a season. I'd prefer a kit I liked, and don't rate this alleged one (not as badly as my personal least favourite pony number) but really don't care that much.

Its not as if I start each season deciding who to support based on who has the prettiest kit on the catwalk, is it!

well said. All said and done it lasts for one season, its not like the 70's/80's when a new design shirt lasted three or four seasons.

Like everything else these days its almost instantly disposable after what ? 10 months ?

You’re entitled to that view, as I am mine. I just despair at the tin pot noises that are coming from the club I love, and here it may be encapsulated in what they wear. So what? Don’t let it bother you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kit of probably about 315th on the priority list of the summer, below sorting out some ballboys who put some effort in.

It will be red and white. Most people will hate it, some will like it. The same people who always buy it will still buy it.

After its worn once nobody will mention it again.

At least they are getting it done early this year.

Not a bad launch though.

The video’s utterly cringeworthy - a confused in-joke on a minor scandal involving a few rich yank college kids that 99.9% of the population has never heard or doesn’t care about. Convoluted much?

Edited by shurlock

Wish they put as much effort into designing the kit as they did trying to be funny with their cringey marketing.

On a side note, does anyone know who selects the kit? I’d assume the club go to UA with a spec and then UA go to the club with a couple of designs for sign off...?

The video is fine, I like that our marketing people try a bit harder.

The kits are ok aside the home kit which is ruined by that black bit across the top, and the new sponsor looks just odd but not much we can do about that.

Wish they put as much effort into designing the kit as they did trying to be funny with their cringey marketing.

On a side note, does anyone know who selects the kit? I’d assume the club go to UA with a spec and then UA go to the club with a couple of designs for sign off...?

I think UA just paste the chosen colour schemes into their standard templates and then we choose one.

I don't think there is any actual "design" as far as our particular kit goes.

Might have looked slightly better if they had followed the design of the away and third kits and broken the solid black up by adding thin lines or bleeding it into the main red and white. Anyway nothing to lose any sleep over.

I'm no clothes designer and I'm not in the market for a shirt either, but what they have come up with is complete and utter gash. So basically they have taken this seasons shirt, lost a couple of stripes and reversed the black and red bits above the stripes while adding a splash of white on the sleeve. Black is harsh and ugly. Fine on shorts and socks, but not on the collar bone/upper chest. I guess like most things, we'll get used to it, but a pretty **** poor effort (and I had to turn that ghastly launch video off, but then I guess it might be aimed at youngsters).

I'm surprised they haven't launched it by having a player pose with it over a grey hoody, beer belly and whilst wearing "distressed" g-star jeans and lonsdale trainers so our supporters can see what it would look like when they wear it.