Krueger departs

Batman

So do we now have anyone in a leadership position, other than Ralph H, with any sort of credible sports leadership / business background, never mind football? I don't count Wee Ross as he hasn't exactly had a great record here and he was small time before he arrived.

I read this morning that psg owners (basically Qatar) want to buy a premier league club. So, knitting all this together, China has taken ownership of saints by shafting gao and lander, will sell to Qatar for a fortune to pay off some debt and we'll be in the champions league with naymar playing for us and Paul Mitchell running everything.

Alternatively they didn't want to renew the contract of a very average chairman who almost got us relegated (twice ... Actually, let's not tempt fate, we could still be) had no rapport with the fan base, talked utter corporate drivel, instead of English, and oversaw a deterioration in finances due to horrific player recruitment and contract extensions because he had zero football knowledge with which to control les reed. And they think they might somehow be able to do better.

Either way, I'm not overly concerned ...

No they are apparently looking at championship clubs Forest and Villa on their radar apparently... though if the season ends badly we might be in with a shout..

So do we now have anyone in a leadership position, other than Ralph H, with any sort of credible sports leadership / business background, never mind football? I don't count Wee Ross as he hasn't exactly had a great record here and he was small time before he arrived.

Wee Ross has been promoted to the big boy board.

Hmmm. For Krueger, dignity, loyalty, sincerity, heart in the right place and with the club...and at least the appearance of calm amidst the storm. Against Krueger, lack of a ruthless streak to get rid of the Clown waaaay earlier, not to give Hughes a long-term contract without proving himself early in the season and allowing Les Reed to stay too long.

My concern is the owner. They clearly have no money. The control of the club is not clear and I expect we will be the target of a sale / takeover in the summer. If the Chinese government have a significant stake in us (enough to have power of veto) that could make things very difficult.

Time we had our own Netflix show so us poor fans could get a better understanding of what's really going on. Any ITK's on this post?

Hmmm. For Krueger, dignity, loyalty, sincerity, heart in the right place and with the club...and at least the appearance of calm amidst the storm. Against Krueger, lack of a ruthless streak to get rid of the Clown waaaay earlier, not to give Hughes a long-term contract without proving himself early in the season and allowing Les Reed to stay too long.

My concern is the owner. They clearly have no money. The control of the club is not clear and I expect we will be the target of a sale / takeover in the summer. If the Chinese government have a significant stake in us (enough to have power of veto) that could make things very difficult.

Time we had our own Netflix show so us poor fans could get a better understanding of what's really going on. Any ITK's on this post?

I work for Netflix and no show is planned, HTH

I go along with your view of Krueger. I think we have lost sight of his initial impact arriving in the wake of the Cortese fall out, and Poch going,to help steady things. Overall I think he has been good for Saints, although the blemish on his record is allowing Reed too much room and time.

Like every departure we see, the loss is only as bad as the replacement, and it does show how KL's influence is waning. We've seen nothing of note from Gao to inspire confidence, that remains my biggest concern along with whether this effects RH's enthusiasm to stay at the club.

Do managers often up sticks and leave when a chairman goes, no. Poch went because be could see the money and control stopping, which he correctly calculated would be bad for his career. RH isn't going to walk out of a premier league job over this, some people love to worry.

Can also be the other way round, in that the new head, whether it's Chairman or DOF, wants to change direction and bring his own people in. Lowe , Pearson and Poortvliet spring to mind. Given our recent history and is it any wonder supporters see making things difficult for ourselves as 'theSouthamptonway'# ?

For what it’s worth (probably not a lot) Merson in Soccer Saturday thinks it’s a really positive move and thinks it could mean the owners bringing in their own people and actually spend some money. I guess if you’re going to invest it makes sense to have the right set up in place first.

For what it’s worth (probably not a lot) Merson in Soccer Saturday thinks it’s a really positive move and thinks it could mean the owners bringing in their own people and actually spend some money. I guess if you’re going to invest it makes sense to have the right set up in place first.

The question at the moment is why is Ralph going?. Hopefully it is just because his time is done and hopefully it is not because lack of funding is stopping him from doing his job properly.

The question at the moment is why is Ralph going?. Hopefully it is just because his time is done and hopefully it is not because lack of funding is stopping him from doing his job properly.

I can see why Les and Ralph have been nudged out. Both had gone totally stale. Just look at the state of our squad and league placings over the last couple of years.

Perhaps he was simply held accountable for the under-performance over the last 2 years?

Any hockey fans here? Wondering why Krueger would leave now rather than see out his contract but wonder if an NHL club would want him in for preseason or something.

He's extremely well regarded in the hockey world, and is solid general manager material.

With the regular season over, numerous teams are looking for coaches or GMs, including the Edmonton Oilers, who fired him as head coach some years ago. Quite a few here, me included, would like to see him back as GM.

He is a highly intelligent, deeply principled man. God knows how he ended up in sports management. :)

Thanks guys! What I'm wondering is whether he would leave now because a hockey team would want him now, and not in June when his contract at Saints would have expired anyway.

I'm still trying to figure out whether he's leaving of his own volition or being (gently) pushed.

An NHL team might want him now to prepare for the entry draft (June 21), and/or to hire a new head coach - normally the GM's job. There are several head coaching jobs open and a few really good coaches available, so it's an act-fast situation for those with vacancies.

However, it wouldn't surprise me if the Saints were thinking of combining Reed's and Kreuger's jobs, and making Hasenhüttl a more powerful force in transfers. Reed covered for Kreuger's lack of football knowledge, and Kreuger was there to protect the owners from Cortese-like excesses. In the end it didn't really work - but we seem to have survived.

If that's what they're aiming for, Kreuger is probably being pushed and they have someone lined-up for the senior role. Hasenhüttl has already shown a damn good eye for a player - by turning a number of sows' ears (under Pellegrino and Hughes) into something at least vaguely resembling silk purses.

I cannot believe anybody is taking seriously a quote from Merson on matters relating to managing a top level football club. An opinion from Mark Carney might carry more weight.

I pray that we are getting rid of Ross Wilson too! HTH can he still stay at the club with the absolute dross he has brought to the club 40 million+ of crap players, carillo, elynousi, boufal, hoedt & probably more!

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

He spoke so much waffle, so I'm incredibly happy we no longer have to hear the phrases 'First team roster' 'Deep roster' 'Soccer' again. His phrases and what he said always annoyed me, he was nothing more than a public mouth piece and a PR puppet.

Will be interesting to see what happens next and if there is a reshuffle or new appointments made. I'll be honest, the ownership situation is still one of real worry for me. I'm not comfortable with it at all.

We are looking to save money. Clearing out players is so so important for this summer.

Are the owners making this a pre-requisite of signing any new players? If so, a potentially frustrating window looms*

* © Alpine Window Woes

Are the owners making this a pre-requisite of signing any new players? If so, a potentially frustrating window looms*

* © Alpine Window Woes

Hassenhuttl has stated many times that the squad is too big.

Long, Austin, Yoshida, Clasie, Cedric and Sims are the only players out of contract in 2020.

Then you've got to figure out what happens with Reed, Boufal, Carillo and Hoedt.

Not to mention that Forster and McCarthy have contracts until 2022 (Gunn until 2023)

We are over reaching with our wage bill, which means there has always been a prerequisite to sell players.

Hassenhuttl has stated many times that the squad is too big.

Long, Austin, Yoshida, Clasie, Cedric and Sims are the only players out of contract in 2020.

Then you've got to figure out what happens with Reed, Boufal, Carillo and Hoedt.

Not to mention that Forster and McCarthy have contracts until 2022 (Gunn until 2023)

We are over reaching with our wage bill, which means there has always been a prerequisite to sell players.

Yep, agree with that. Maybe I didn't make my myelf clear. I'm wondering how strict the powers-that-be will be when it comes to the chronology of events during the window.

In other words, will they say to Hassenhuttl: "You can't buy players A, B and C until we've sold players X, Y and Z" ...or... Will they say: "Go ahead and buy players A, B and C as early as possible in the window so they get a full pre-season with us. Don't worry about selling players X, Y and Z first, we'll do all we can to ensure they've left before the start of the season"

Yep, agree with that. Maybe I didn't make my myelf clear. I'm wondering how strict the powers-that-be will be when it comes to the chronology of events during the window.

In other words, will they say to Hassenhuttl: "You can't buy players A, B and C until we've sold players X, Y and Z" ...or... Will they say: "Go ahead and buy players A, B and C as early as possible in the window so they get a full pre-season with us. Don't worry about selling players X, Y and Z first, we'll do all we can to ensure they've left before the start of the season"

It will very likely be the latter in my opinion, we've always tried to raise capital by selling first and then investing the money raised second.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of many June/July in-comings bar Redmond tbh, otherwise the early signings are usually our cheaper Juanmi/Bednarek/Gardos type purchases.

i

The company I work for are having their AGM this week.....the Chairman of the company is over and he already owns a team in the NBA. Cant tell you the amount of times I've thought about "doing a Cortese" and bringing SFC to his attention! He even has a couple of super yachts, so we could also do the "yacht spotted in Ocean village" stuff again!

There's not really a lot in this folks.

His contract was up and the club decided not to renew. Will save some wages.

Doubt we will replace as his role can easily be covered by TS and MS.

The club will restructure a bit in the summer.

My hope is that PM will return, but i think United are sniffing.

We are looking to save money. Clearing out players is so so important for this summer. We could actually raise a fair amount from them, combined.

More or less identical to what i heard, mostly around the fact that the club have a lot of high earners and managers in the ranks and they need to clear the decks a bit. Also heard PM was unlikely as he has better offers on the table so fits to the United bit.

There's not really a lot in this folks.

His contract was up and the club decided not to renew. Will save some wages.

Doubt we will replace as his role can easily be covered by TS and MS.

The club will restructure a bit in the summer.

My hope is that PM will return, but i think United are sniffing.

We are looking to save money. Clearing out players is so so important for this summer. We could actually raise a fair amount from them, combined.

Crikey. Burning ambition.

Although I get the sentiment as we are carrying so many players on big contracts.

Shifting them is going to be so difficult.

I saw the Leipzig CEO Timo Werner refused to renew and leaving maybe Ralph had a word

You never know.

Someone posted something elsewhere possibly in this thread, alluding to goings on behind the scenes. There was something said by Ralph post match on Saturday, and the way he said it was as if he was having a greater influence than just the "head of a department". Its pretty obvious that his head is screwed on properly, I'm maybe looking under totally the wrong stone, but I just wondered if by chance Gao might have found where the Rabbits to pull out of his sleeve are hidden and a route to get them out.

Who knows - the Chinese can be just as secretive through silence as the Swiss about stuff, especially business.

(the metaphorical rabbit pun was totally un-intended until it fell out of my fingers)