Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 151 to 177 of 177

Thread: Saints 3 Wolves 1 - Post Match

  1. #151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alpine_saint View Post
    Get your son to come to Saints
    This!

  2. #152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dusic View Post
    For me Sims is a much better sub than starter, but good work for both goals....
    Was it his 1 minute plus injury time against Brighton, or his 45 minutes against spurs this season that leads you believe he's a better sub?

    Personally seeing as we've got an average of 3 points every season for games he's started vs an average of 1.5 points for every game he's featured as a sub. surely that means he MUST be a better starter.

  3. #153

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ampshoire - where else?!
    Posts
    6,597

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Wayman View Post
    Maybe but is he worth the £20m we have to cough up for him in June? If there is an escape clause surely we can do better for the money?
    Tough question as whilst injury prone, he does seemingly have an intelligent footballing brain, whilst PEH is a good captain, watching Ings from in the stadium yesterday he does direct traffic well off the ball talks a lot to team mates with positioning etc. Actually with him on the pitch we have a decent spine Maya at the back is intelligent and Bednarek seems to be willing to soak up all his advice, the 2 of them seem to talk more than Maya to Vestergaard. PEH is still a bit raggedy but is solid presence, and as said Ings up top is intelligent too.

    Fair play to Sims he does like running and has no fear, if he nails his composure infront of goal he will easily surpass Redmond simply due to faster speed of thought. I like Boly for them, but he was getting a bit windy with Sims buzzing around him and at him. That front line yesterday if it ticks could be a bit handy.
    I did think when we went back in front that it might have been "one of those afternoons" with a silly score line.
    Substitutions were spot on Romeu to add a bit of steel to midfield, and poor old Boly must have gone "good getting rid of Sims" "oh hang on fresh speed coming on" I said to my mate after the game that it was like that Formula E where they swap cars mid race due to battery power. Shane Long after he scored that goal all of a sudden looked like a huge weight had come off his shoulders, 2 in 2, it looked like he got a fresh spring in his step.

    Bizarre observation of the afternoon, from a possible attacking position we passed it back again towards Gunny, the whole ground groaned collectively, at that moment I glanced over to the technical area, and Raplh is standing there motioning with his hands for the crowd to relax and calm down!!!

  4. #154

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Well North of the Wrekin
    Posts
    1,594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nolan View Post
    Was it his 1 minute plus injury time against Brighton, or his 45 minutes against spurs this season that leads you believe he's a better sub?

    Personally seeing as we've got an average of 3 points every season for games he's started vs an average of 1.5 points for every game he's featured as a sub. surely that means he MUST be a better starter.
    Sometimes logic defies all reason!

  5. #155

    Default

    Redmond is being accused of making a hooligan gang sign infront of Wolves fans after scoring

    Dunno if image will work, its supposedly a Z for zulu, birmingham city 80s gang

    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D4HJDSyXoAUZkyu.jpg

  6. #156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SaintsLoyal View Post
    Redmond is being accused of making a hooligan gang sign infront of Wolves fans after scoring

    Dunno if image will work, its supposedly a Z for zulu, birmingham city 80s gang

    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D4HJDSyXoAUZkyu.jpg
    Obviously didn't see it at the game but noticed him doing something with his hands in the clip on MOTD as he ran towards the Itchen corner. Pretty idiotic thing to do.

    I'm not sure the name is confined to the 80's though as the yob who attacked Grealish was sporting a logo on his jacket about this as well.

  7. #157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SaintsLoyal View Post
    Redmond is being accused of making a hooligan gang sign infront of Wolves fans after scoring

    Dunno if image will work, its supposedly a Z for zulu, birmingham city 80s gang

    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D4HJDSyXoAUZkyu.jpg
    Didn’t seem to wind wolves fans up tho. Not that I’m saying the gesture has anything to do with the Zulu warriors

  8. #158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy Saint View Post
    Bizarre observation of the afternoon, from a possible attacking position we passed it back again towards Gunny, the whole ground groaned collectively, at that moment I glanced over to the technical area, and Raplh is standing there motioning with his hands for the crowd to relax and calm down!!!
    Ralph's right. All the groaning yesterday was ridiculous. If the player isn't comfortable making a forward pass because there's no one to pick out then of course they will go sideways or back.

    At one point Vestergard was about to pass back, people groaned, he then hesitated and lost the ball putting them in a good position.

    It wasn't like we were playing a terrible team that we could pass through the middle of when we felt like it. At best a player has a couple of seconds to make a pass, if they don't do it then go back, settle and restart the move. Let the players get on with it.

  9. #159

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The metropolis of Wem
    Posts
    6,555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
    Ralph's right. All the groaning yesterday was ridiculous. If the player isn't comfortable making a forward pass because there's no one to pick out then of course they will go sideways or back.

    At one point Vestergard was about to pass back, people groaned, he then hesitated and lost the ball putting them in a good position.

    It wasn't like we were playing a terrible team that we could pass through the middle of when we felt like it. At best a player has a couple of seconds to make a pass, if they don't do it then go back, settle and restart the move. Let the players get on with it.
    I think it seems from the frustration of a few seasons where the first option always seemed to be back, followed by sideways with little inclination to try the incisive forward ball.

    The huge difference now is we're always looking for the quick killer pass, but I agree it's important to recognise that there are times in the match when you cut down the risks. At 1-0 yesterday I thought we gave the ball away quite a few times.



    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

  10. #160

    Default

    Seems to me obviously Ralph wanted that, so we should be quiet. He wants to move forward for sure, but he also doesn't want mistakes. He views passing back to Gunn the same as passing sideways to Yoshi (for instance). I don't really care, as long as no one does what Big V did yesterday when he gave the ball away.

  11. #161

    Default

    Yesterday we missed numerous chances to put Sims in. He made runs as Long does but players ignored it and passed sideways for possession. We really do have to spot those runs because when we do we cut the defence to ribbons. Far better to lose the ball then than the numerous times yesterday with poor passes and dithering in our own half. Nice to see more throws going down the line although we didn't really get them close enough to the line or get a number of players together making life difficult for the defenders.

  12. #162

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The metropolis of Wem
    Posts
    6,555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by derry View Post
    Yesterday we missed numerous chances to put Sims in. He made runs as Long does but players ignored it and passed sideways for possession. We really do have to spot those runs because when we do we cut the defence to ribbons. Far better to lose the ball then than the numerous times yesterday with poor passes and dithering in our own half. Nice to see more throws going down the line although we didn't really get them close enough to the line or get a number of players together making life difficult for the defenders.
    We really didn't keep passing sideways for possession yesterday. If anything, we were almost too adventurous with the attempted forward ball.

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

  13. #163

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Hidden behind enemy lines
    Posts
    10,576

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SaintsLoyal View Post
    Redmond is being accused of making a hooligan gang sign infront of Wolves fans after scoring

    Dunno if image will work, its supposedly a Z for zulu, birmingham city 80s gang

    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D4HJDSyXoAUZkyu.jpg
    Maybe he just wants to find the continuum transfunctioner.

  14. #164

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ampshoire - where else?!
    Posts
    6,597

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
    Ralph's right. All the groaning yesterday was ridiculous. If the player isn't comfortable making a forward pass because there's no one to pick out then of course they will go sideways or back.

    At one point Vestergard was about to pass back, people groaned, he then hesitated and lost the ball putting them in a good position.

    It wasn't like we were playing a terrible team that we could pass through the middle of when we felt like it. At best a player has a couple of seconds to make a pass, if they don't do it then go back, settle and restart the move. Let the players get on with it.
    The other thing to factor in is the view of the pitch from the bulk of the seats is far better than the view on the pitch - we see the spaces they don’t have the benefit of that view.

  15. #165

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairy Oake / Block 13
    Posts
    718

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    Maybe he just wants to find the continuum transfunctioner.

  16. #166

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!
    Posts
    17,839

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by derry View Post
    Yesterday we missed numerous chances to put Sims in. He made runs as Long does but players ignored it and passed sideways for possession. We really do have to spot those runs because when we do we cut the defence to ribbons. Far better to lose the ball then than the numerous times yesterday with poor passes and dithering in our own half. Nice to see more throws going down the line although we didn't really get them close enough to the line or get a number of players together making life difficult for the defenders.
    We really didn't we where looking to get it forward about 90% of the time. If anything we were giving the ball away far to cheaply in our desire to play forward early which invited pressure on our defence. we had 30% possession at home that is not the stat of a team passing it sideways for possession.

  17. #167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doddisalegend View Post
    We really didn't we where looking to get it forward about 90% of the time. If anything we were giving the ball away far to cheaply in our desire to play forward early which invited pressure on our defence. we had 30% possession at home that is not the stat of a team passing it sideways for possession.
    I agree with derry: there were times when a quick pass would have got Sims away and he can motor. Another thing we need is to get the weight of pass right and not try little dinks that Cort could swallow up all day. It did seem that for a while in the first half as we used Sims they double and trebled-up on him quickly so he couldn't get away from them.

  18. #168

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!
    Posts
    17,839

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouth View Post
    I agree with derry: there were times when a quick pass would have got Sims away and he can motor. Another thing we need is to get the weight of pass right and not try little dinks that Cort could swallow up all day. It did seem that for a while in the first half as we used Sims they double and trebled-up on him quickly so he couldn't get away from them.
    I think its two different things we certainly weren't playing for possession we are almost always looking to go forward with the ball now days but the quality of the passing is an issue. Going for a defence splitting pass that gets intercepted is a hazard of our playing style but Hoj and JWP in particular were giving the ball away cheaply a lot yesterday.

  19. Default

    Really good day, thought we reacted so well to that set back - something we didn't do previously under previous mangers, how often would you have seen us wilt after going 1-1?

    Thought Ings as excellent as a centre forward, set the tone of the attack and was very inteligent in his use of the ball and the runs he was making. He deserved a goal to be honest!

    Redmond sharp and clinical, he's been pretty much spot on this season compared to last. One of the bright spots even in the first half of the season.

    I was a bit nervous, I didn't know what to expect from Wolves but at the same time I was also hoping we'd have enough to get over the line in this one - and we did!

    That pretty much nails it for this season, just between Brighton and Cardiff now - although I think everyone and their dog knows that Cardiff are as good as down and have been so since they came up, to be honest.

    Onto the next one - but I'm seriously excited to see what Ralph can build here, we look a top half side under him, and that's without any transfers.

  20. #170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doddisalegend View Post
    I think its two different things we certainly weren't playing for possession we are almost always looking to go forward with the ball now days but the quality of the passing is an issue. Going for a defence splitting pass that gets intercepted is a hazard of our playing style but Hoj and JWP in particular were giving the ball away cheaply a lot yesterday.
    Yes. Certain people are obsessed with possession - RH has already said (rightly), he doesn't care about that. Which I love.

    Whilst Pochettino was great for Saints, sometimes his style of "keeping the ball so the opponent doesn't has it" was infuriating to watch. Sometimes wonderful, sometimes the sideways passing of 2 yards was ridiculous.

    By forcing the opposition to pass around themselves until they're exhausted of ideas and make a mistake, when we do get the ball, we know what to do and what positions to be in. RH is a genius and sadly we all know the 'top 6' will be watching him like a hawk. I just hope he wants to see what he can do longer term with a smaller club ...

  21. #171

    Default

    I honestly think RH wants to see how far he can take us. I think he likes a project. Hope I’m right.

  22. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toadhall Saint View Post
    I honestly think RH wants to see how far he can take us. I think he likes a project. Hope I’m right.
    Sadly, the reality is that if and when one of the top 6 come calling for him, he will most likely be on his way. If anyone should know about this reality, it's us!

    At least most of the top clubs seem relatively settled with their current managers though. Probably only Chelsea that may make a change in the summer and I would hope that it may be a little early for Ralph to be in the frame for that job. So I feel reasonably confident that we will have Ralph for another season at least so let's enjoy it while it lasts!

    Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

  23. #173

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    28,971
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toadhall Saint View Post
    I honestly think RH wants to see how far he can take us. I think he likes a project. Hope I’m right.
    I doubt it let's not kid ourselves. The good news is if he leaves for a top club it will probably be because he has done great here and we will hopefully be in a good position to replace with a koeman type to keep the good times rolling.

  24. #174

    Default

    One of my all too rare visits and the most enjoyable for a long time. Northam was fantastic, voice was hoarse next day. Hats off to all you regular in there, fantastic effort.

    Redmond always dangerous, Sims a bit iffy for me, can be exciting and direct, can be a bit too easily knocked off the ball, although Boly is a bit of a beast in comparison to him. Ings looked a bit off the pace for me, but he is clearly got great awareness, brings others in, great assist for Redmond's second. Thought Long came on at right time and was threatening, and looked the player you would want Long to be. Also Romeu played well and steadied us down and bought control. Those substitutions changed course of the game.

    Wish we could cut out the tendency to play ourselves into trouble, and first half especially, Wolves played brilliant one touch football to get in behind Valery and to the side of Bednarek - they should have scored more from that as we were all over the place at that time.

    Hojberg could become my favourite player, if I am allowed one at my age!

    Hassenhutl, what a manager! Everything that we need in a manager, tactically aware, improves players, trusts youth and passionate. If he was manager somewhere else, he would get right on my tits, much like Klopp does. But for us, perfect.

  25. #175

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The metropolis of Wem
    Posts
    6,555

    Default

    Though it worth copying this from the Grauniad. Great to read positive things about Saints once more.

    Southampton have been transformed by Ralph Hassenhüttl. A team who were drifting towards relegation and were often easy to play against have become fearsome opponents and exciting to watch. Joy has returned to St Mary’s. Nathan Redmond has been one of the main beneficiaries from the change. Though he had not scored for seven matches before his brace in*this*win against Wolves, he has been in excellent form. “For me it is unbelievable that he was very much criticised last season in this stadium,” said Hassenhüttl. “He likes this kind of pressing football because he can attack and run a lot. That’s the best thing for him as he sees that if he works hard and he is doing it for the team, then the supporters will immediately support you in a completely different way. It’s a very positive thing for him and helps us a lot.”*

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

  26. #176

    Default

    1st time in ages I’ve actually felt positive going into matches

  27. #177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Obviously didn't see it at the game but noticed him doing something with his hands in the clip on MOTD as he ran towards the Itchen corner. Pretty idiotic thing to do.

    I'm not sure the name is confined to the 80's though as the yob who attacked Grealish was sporting a logo on his jacket about this as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintsLoyal View Post
    Redmond is being accused of making a hooligan gang sign infront of Wolves fans after scoring

    Dunno if image will work, its supposedly a Z for zulu, birmingham city 80s gang

    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D4HJDSyXoAUZkyu.jpg
    Yeh, I'm sure that after scoring 2 goals his immediate reaction is to do a Z for zulu sign, denoting a 80's gang.

    Me, if I had just scored 2 goals would have just found a way to indicate I had scored 2 goals.

    I am glad he didn't score a hat trick as he would have probably done a reverse 'E' sign denoting his approval of Elephant poaching. or 4 goals when he might have done a lower case 'h' for Harry Hill's TV Burp.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •