Saints 3 Wolves 1 - Post Match

St Chalet

strange game

we had by far the best chances but they looked generally dangerous without testing Gunn.

Wolves are clearly a very good footballing side and had lots of possession, corners etc

but we scored when it mattered and had a couple of very good chances.

Thought the subs worked for us, Rom was Rom and the ball stopped coming back to easily with Long up top

Incredible set of results today

Redmond my MoM

Good team effort, great to see Long playing himself back into form. Redmond really starting to shine. Why has Sims been overlooked for so long ? Hope Valery not too badly injured. Starting to feel better about Saints than I have for about 3 years. Serious summer needed on the transfer market though, and above all hope Ralph H. stays. Glad the other one has gone...

Amazing day, all scores went right. Great effort by the Saints, Ralph has really transformed this team. Next season we contend for Europe!
Steady on! We are nowhere near competing for Europe without substantial investment & I just don't see it coming in the summer from our owner

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Awesome set of results for us. Hasenhuttl has performed miracles with this squad.

Another win (Bournemouth (h) and/or Huddersfield (h) ) would be for insurance. As things stand, Cardiff need to win 3 of 5 to overtake us even if we don't pick up another point.

Watch out for Brighton though - absolutely falling apart, and probably their best player, Knockaert, facing a three game suspension. A proper six pointer with Cardiff next week.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

It was nervy stuff, as our shape was all wrong and we surrendered far too much possession to them. But our second and third goals completely sucked the wind out of them, and we won deservedly in the end. For all their possession, they didn't really create too many good chances, whereas we did and realistically should have got more than three. Both Sims and Yoshida should have scored from their chances.

Mighty relieved at FT. A perfect set of results for us today.

8 point gap with 5 to play. And Cardiff still have to play Liverpool and Man Utd. And Brighton, who will be scrapping for their lives.

There is not a chance in hell they will get 9 more points than us between now and the end of the season with the fixtures they have. They will probably beat Fulham and might get something from Brighton and Palace. But with our current form, I fully expect us to surpass 40 points now.

Get in. Really enjoyable game, we're safe and tbh ever since Ralph came in we've played like a team far too good to go down after looking like nailed on relegation certs under that inspirational man manager Hughes. Still think our squad is paper thin, need 4 more players imho it'll be a stronger league next year no cr@p like Huddersfield and Fulham giving everyone an easy ride. Oh, and LOL @ Brighton.

Steady on! We are nowhere near competing for Europe without substantial investment & I just don't see it coming in the summer from our owner

To be fair 7th gets Europe most years and the way we have performed under Ralph we are basically performing similarly with the Wolves, Evertons, Leicesters, and Watford and its one of them who is going to finish 7th.

--------

Think we are safe, if any team goes down that is not Cardiff, its Brighton, they are in freefall. 5-0 at home to a Bournemouth team that has been awful since xmas is truly shocking.

It was nervy stuff, as our shape was all wrong and we surrendered far too much possession to them. But our second and third goals completely sucked the wind out of them, and we won deservedly in the end. For all their possession, they didn't really create too many good chances, whereas we did and realistically should have got more than three. Both Sims and Yoshida should have scored from their chances.

Mighty relieved at FT. A perfect set of results for us today.

8 point gap with 5 to play. And Cardiff still have to play Liverpool and Man Utd. And Brighton, who will be scrapping for their lives.

There is not a chance in hell they will get 9 more points than us between now and the end of the season with the fixtures they have. They will probably beat Fulham and might get something from Brighton and Palace. But with our current form, I fully expect us to surpass 40 points now.

I see what you are saying, but you can never tell. A point at Newcastle could be great for both clubs. A gentlemans agreement?

Definitely agree with you about the owner, although our form since Ralph took over has been top 10 I believe, and in 2019 top 6 or 7! (ish)
That is true but form over a short period & not a full season is very hypothetical next season we will really see if we can keep up the average wins or form tails off, still say we need three quality signings to have a good team again

Excellent win. We are very lucky to have Ralph. 4 wins out of the last six games and the 2 defeats were an unlucky loss at Man Utd and Liverpool at home when we gave them a scare. Good wins against Spurs and Wolves. Ralph has the knack of giving even the big sides a game and getting good results against teams we expect to beat. He is a breath of fresh air after the dross from previous 3 managers.

strange game

we had by far the best chances but they looked generally dangerous without testing Gunn.

Wolves are clearly a very good footballing side and had lots of possession, corners etc

but we scored when it mattered and had a couple of very good chances.

Thought the subs worked for us, Rom was Rom and the ball stopped coming back to easily with Long up top

Incredible set of results today

Redmond my MoM

Great summary - we scored when it mattered even though Wolves played us off the park for much of the game. I thought Ralph should have brought Romeu on at half time but the game changed when the changes were made on the hour - Romeu steadied the midfield and Long did very well in his harrying, energetic cameo. We will play better than today and not get a result but what a big result it is! Ralph has re-energised the Club and brought us to the brink of safety.

Excellent win. We are very lucky to have Ralph. 4 wins out of the last six games and the 2 defeats were an unlucky loss at Man Utd and Liverpool at home when we gave them a scare. Good wins against Spurs and Wolves. Ralph has the knack of giving even the big sides a game and getting good results against teams we expect to beat. He is a breath of fresh air after the dross from previous 3 managers.
Totally agree.... We will do well to keep hold of him next season

Great feeling! Rarely do we get a crucial win and other results go our way, too!

Thought the back 3 all played well - lots of important headers and interceptions, minus Yoshida's weak header that dropped to Jiminez. But Yoshi had an excellent game overall.

It was clear that JWP in a deeper central role doesn't work. OR coming on was important in the 2nd half.

So pleased for Long, too. Harassed them at a time when they didn't want to be defending and won us free-kicks to relieve pressure. Deserved his goal.

Someone claiming Wolves played us off the park yet we won 3-1 and missed a couple of sitters. You can play all the nicey nicey football but the only thing that counts is putting the ball in the net. Wolves may have looked prettier at times but we were by far the more effective of the two sides. Ralph is not one for possession for possessions sake and he likes to get the ball into dangerous areas rather than fannying about.

Someone claiming Wolves played us off the park yet we won 3-1 and missed a couple of sitters. You can play all the nicey nicey football but the only thing that counts is putting the ball in the net. Wolves may have looked prettier at times but we were by far the more effective of the two sides. Ralph is not one for possession for possessions sake and he likes to get the ball into dangerous areas rather than fannying about.

Wolves did not play us off the park whatsoever and anyone who claims they did is an utter bellend. The game ebbed and flowed, they certainly had their periods of dominance, but ultimately Ralph managed the game out well and after the double substitution we never looked like losing. Played off the park :mcinnes:

Wolves did not play us off the park whatsoever and anyone who claims they did is an utter bellend. The game ebbed and flowed, they certainly had their periods of dominance, but ultimately Ralph managed the game out well and after the double substitution we never looked like losing. Played off the park :mcinnes:

they kind of did, 70% possession and probably much of that in our half.

we defended very well and was on the back foot for large portions of that game

It's indicative of the job that Ralph is doing that you could make a credible case for five or six players as MoM.

I was sitting here thinking we need Romeu->Sims and Long->Ings, and two minutes later he does it. Huge change from the WTF subs we've seen so often in the last three years.