Saints 3 Wolves 1 - Post Match

St Chalet

they kind of did, 70% possession and probably much of that in our half.

we defended very well and was on the back foot for large portions of that game

They didn't. Kind of. By your logic Leicester kind of got played off the park on their way to winning the title. It's not all about who had the ball for most of the game.

They looked dangerous in possession in the first half; but looked clueless (and tired) in the second half despite seeing tons of the ball. The timing of Redmond’s second goal -so soon after they equalised- and later the subs made all the difference IMO.

I'm glad they had Neves starting, too, as he must have tried about 6 or 7 long-range shots, none of which threatened. I'd have been very frustrated if one of our players kept shooting from range and wasting chances. Is he really being talked about at 100m?! Geez.

They didn't. Kind of. By your logic Leicester kind of got played off the park on their way to winning the title. It's not all about who had the ball for most of the game.

It seemed to me that Ralph's early-game plan was to absorb pressure, try not to give up clear chances, and hit them on the break with fast movement and slick passing. I love seeing those angled passes through defences.

Phase two, if they could get a lead, was to consolidate in midfield and force everything wide.

On a side note, how snakebitten is Yoshida? He could be sitting on 10-15 goals for the club but has been denied by woodwork and crazy saves.

I'm sure didn't mean to let them have 70%, but in someways, letting a counter-attacking side have the ball isn't the worst idea.

It's indicative of the job that Ralph is doing that you could make a credible case for five or six players as MoM.

I was sitting here thinking we need Romeu->Sims and Long->Ings, and two minutes later he does it. Huge change from the WTF subs we've seen so often in the last three years.

Genius

Excellent result - better than the actual performance but we have been due some luck.

Great subs, and changing the shape worled for the goals but also made us a lot more open.

Questions about JWP in a two are still valid IMO, he wasnt very good in the first half and we missed Romeu.

Vestergaard very good I thought, he has really come on since the Cardiff mistake.

For me Sims is a much better sub than starter, but good work for both goals.

Redmomd our POTS by a country mile - hope we can keep him and extend his contract this summer.

Redmomd our POTS by a country mile - hope we can keep him and extend his contract this summer.

He's a totally different player under Ralph and a huge part of the team, and I'd probably pick him as well.

But not by a country mile. Hojberg has been excellent, and has become a real leader on the pitch - something we lacked. Beyond him, JWP has contributed a key role and not just key goals, and it's no coincidence that our backline improved significantly when Yoshida came back into the reckoning after being inexplicably omitted for so long. And it's great to see the old Romeu back.

Excellent result - better than the actual performance but we have been due some luck.

Great subs, and changing the shape worled for the goals but also made us a lot more open.

Questions about JWP in a two are still valid IMO, he wasnt very good in the first half and we missed Romeu.

Vestergaard very good I thought, he has really come on since the Cardiff mistake.

Sorry but the fact that he had a hand in 2 goals kind of makes your opinion that he's a better sub void as it would have to mean he makes more than 2 goals as a sub !?

Think we defended very well today. Good tactics from Ralph when he made the subs and changed the shape. For all Wolves’ possession they really struggled to create anything. Reminds me of us a couple of seasons ago against the lesser teams where we had all the ball and could not break them down.

Great finishes from Redmond, a player transformed. Also good contribution from Sims!

Felt the atmosphere in the crowd mirrored the team up until the third goal, very nervy as it all pointed towards a Wolves’ equaliser. Once we scored we settled down and the fans cranked it all up.

I now have an even bigger man crush on Ralph after today.

We are staying up.

We have already nailed on strategy for next season , we even have some of the new players lined up Will be announced when Krueger honourably completes his contract. Top half easy next season
Cheers for the new players insight Manji.

Does "lined up" mean that deals have been agreed between players and clubs and it's just a case of rubber stamping them when the summer window opens, or is it more of an agreed wish list? Cheers

Edited by trousers

We have already nailed on strategy for next season , we even have some of the new players lined up Will be announced when Krueger honourably completes his contract. Top half easy next season

Well that's interesting considering that we haven't replaced Reed. Any idea who's compiling the list of targets and priorities, or has there been a Ralph-centric change in approach?

On a side note, how snakebitten is Yoshida? He could be sitting on 10-15 goals for the club but has been denied by woodwork and crazy saves.

I know eh? Crazy how often he gets totally robbed.

Also JV must be due a powerful headed goal from a corner, he absolutely launches himself at the ball.

JWP instantly better once he was shifted up. Poses a bit of a conundrum for RH.

If Ralph had been here at the start of the season we would now have 52 points based on his average and be sat in 7th spot 5 points ahead of Leicester. I exclude Cardiff away because he had no time to influence that game. The man has worked miracles.

They look vulnerable to me. Knockaert being suspended will be a blow for them as well.

Losing him for three games, including Tuesday against Cardiff, may be even worse than the result for Brighton.

He should have gone in the first minute of the Palace game but there was no avoiding it today.

Sims 2 assists in first half, and really should have scored also. Not a good starter???

Cracking results all around really, Brighton must be bricking it after their results against us and today.

Excellent performances from Redmond, Sims, Valery and Yoshida. Romeu was also decent when he came on, I didn’t think Hoj and JWP were having a particularly good game until he came on.

Three decent goals, three points. We could finish as high as 11th with our head to heads against BOU, WHU and NEW. Onwards and upwards.

The subs were spot on - Ings looked leggy and was chasing down shadows up top with little service; Sims had run his game; and Romeu certainly was required down the middle.

Long's goal was well deserved for the way he never let the defenders relax but from where we sit looked off-side (?)

Don’t start thinking I’m an insider . Just get reliable information occasionally. “ lined up “ was the phrase used . Clearly I asked for names.

A lot of them will be from Ralph’s contacts.

OK, Deal. I won't start thinking you are an insider or even have a clue what you are talking about. Normal forum stuff. ;)

Long's goal was well deserved for the way he never let the defenders relax but from where we sit looked off-side (?)

Not off-side, played on by a player on the other side of the box, ( Traore ? ). Whilst Long deserved, amd needed, the goal, the credit must go to Yoshida for his persistance following his attempted overhead kick.

The subs were spot on - Ings looked leggy and was chasing down shadows up top with little service; Sims had run his game; and Romeu certainly was required down the middle.

I had the same reaction to Long’s goal watching it on the telly, but it was Traore who played him on. Wasn’t that close.

They have dropped like a stone. They looked safe as houses a few weeks ago.

They may have had the points but they have looked the team most likely to fail for a long time now. The way they have been playing they have been in terminal decline, and Houghton does not have the wherewithall or the squad depth to turn it around. Said it weeks ago when people were leaving them out of the mix for the run in. With their remaining fixtures Cardiff may yet still pip them, their midweek game is the key, a Cardiff win and I suspect Brighton might well go down.

"Southampton have won eight of their 18 Premier League games under Ralph Hassenhuttl, as many as they had won in 52 games under their two previous permanent managers combined"

Says it all, really.

So great to have a manager who can play several systems, and change as needed. Starting out set up to defend strongly and hit them on the break with the speed and running of Redmond, Sims, and Ings, got us two good goals, and could easily have had two more if Sims had had a little more composure, which I think will come with more games. It did allow Wolves to control the midfield, so around the hour mark we bring on Romeu and Long, and never looked back: began to boss the midfield, got a good third goal off a Prowsey corner, and looked in no danger after that. A nervy game at times, but you always felt Ralph knew what he was doing, and a great win. Can't wait for next season, and seeing what Ralph can really do.

Wolves fans will be furious. It was Traore walking back that played him onside. As soon as he saw the ball break to Long he made a pathetic attempt to step out and play him offside but it was too late.