Just how bad was Hughes?

Mr X

Or...

just how good is Hassenhüttl?

P18 W8 D3 L8 Pts 27 (that kind of form all season would lock up 7th place)

He's really good as he's invented an extra game there! [emoji23]

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

"Just how bad was Hughes ?" - was he actually any better than MoPe ?

I would say yes. Pellegrino not only being appointed (with Les talking all sorts of guff) but being backed in the Jan window and kept on as long as he was.

Well, just plain weird

Just think, under Pellegrino, a fully rotated wolves side beat our first 11 at SMS.

terrible manager

Edited by Batman

I would say yes. Pellegrino not only being appointed (with Les talking all sorts of guff) but being backed in the Jan window and kept on as long as he was.

Well, just plain weird

Just think, under Pellegrino, a fully rotated wolves side beat our first 11 at SMS.

terrible manager

Pellegrino is comfortably one of the worst managers we've had for a long time. He did manage to unite the forum, which is a tough achievement, but fair play to him.

I think fans are being disengenuous as Hughes saved us last season. He lost us but I think you will find at this stage last season we were gone.

Give him the credit that he got us enough to stay up, we made Swansea go down with the result there. Topewsult for a manager we needed at that time,

I'd rather have sturrock or the Dutch clowns than pellegrino in charge- some of those performances during that period I've never seen us play with what appeared to be zero gameplan. I'd be happy to say that pellegrino was the worst manager we have had in my lifetime and I've been alive quite a while now!

Hughes was quite frankly rubbish this year but he did keep us up last season so he probably earnt his money imo.

Hughes was pretty poor in the end, but still deserves a little credit for saving us at the end of last season.

If we had kept Pellegrino I don’t think we would have registered the wins against Bournemouth and Swansea that kept us up. His appointment was just strange from the off, nothing in his track record suggested he was the man to take us forward. Although it looks like he has done an ok job with Leganes, so maybe lower La Liga is the right place for him.

Hasenhuttl is simply a level above Puel, Pellegrino and Hughes. A manager more in the Pochettino and Koeman league.

I think fans are being disengenuous as Hughes saved us last season. He lost us but I think you will find at this stage last season we were gone.

Give him the credit that he got us enough to stay up, we made Swansea go down with the result there. Topewsult for a manager we needed at that time,

I’d give more credit to the new manager bounce than Hughes directly. With the help of a Swansea collapse, his skill set wasn’t exposed to be completely inadequate until the new season.

I think the players have to share the responsibility of how bad they were under Hughes.

Comments made since have made it clear to me that the reason they looked like they weren’t putting any effort in, is because they weren’t, and they weren’t because we weren’t playing the type of football they wanted to be playing.

Very fine margins. If it not for wonder saves from McCarthy in both Swansea and Bournemouth games, we may well have gone down. We would definitely have gone down if we had stuck with MP so must give Hughes some credit I suppose

I think the players have to share the responsibility of how bad they were under Hughes.

Comments made since have made it clear to me that the reason they looked like they weren’t putting any effort in, is because they weren’t, and they weren’t because we weren’t playing the type of football they wanted to be playing.

I think there’s more to it than that. Perhaps they didn’t fully understand the system that they were asked to play, or perhaps it was just a crap system?

Very fine margins. If it not for wonder saves from McCarthy in both Swansea and Bournemouth games, we may well have gone down. We would definitely have gone down if we had stuck with MP so must give Hughes some credit I suppose

This. If there is anyone who deserves credit for keeping us up last season it's McCarthy.

Well tbf these sorts of arguments could be made if you take every game on an individual basis, you could find a load of 'if' moments- what if Spurs went 3-0 up in the first half at SMS last month, or what if Jimenez scored to make it 2-2 yesterday, or what if Jannik didn't make that horrible mistake against Cardiff in Ralph's first game- these examples are all from Ralph's tenure and I am sure many more can be made- depends which side of the fence you sit on if they are positive or negative.

As for Hughes, I do think he was an upgrade on Pellegrino, and tbh a breath of fresh air in terms of his press conferences when he came in, and had we kept Pellegrino we would have gone down, so Hughes did steady the ship in that sense simultaneously with a Swansea collapse.

However, in the 8 Premier League games he did manage with us, apart from the West Ham games we were more than in it for all them, including close 3-2 defeats to both Arsenal and Chelsea, and even in the City game at home remember us hitting post and knocking on the door. Then there is of course the Everton game where we should have won at Goodison, and the Swansea win was the highlight of the season.

Maybe Hughes played a blinder in getting us promoted, most likely putting a 100% effort in tactically planning every game for it, then as soon as that bumper 3 year contract came in he took his foot off the gas and then didn't give much of a cr*p, hence reports of him being disinterested etc etc... certainly can say it worked.

He was brought in to keep us up last season, and it worked. I can see why he was given a chance for this one but he was just going through the motions.

Was Ralph available at the start of the season?

Hughes did not keep us up Swansea did by going into freefall if they had won a couple of their games we would have gone down.

Hughes did not keep us up Swansea did by going into freefall if they had won a couple of their games we would have gone down.

its like saying had we not beaten bournemouth or picked up other points with hughes, we would have gone down

Hughes was awful, he had already relegated Stoke, imo just the change of manager bounce alone kept us up coupled with Swansea's collapse.

Like all relegation firefighters as well, we shouldn't have kept him on the next season, though I wonder whether Ralph would have been available in the summer, he might have been seeing if a bigger job came up so maybe it all worked out well in the end.

It's a fair point that we needed a club to go into freefall to increase our chances if survival, but we still needed to get more points than we likely would have done had we stuck with Pellegrino. I'm convinced that we got more points under Hughes than we would have done under Pellegrino, ergo Hughes contributed to us staying up.

In other words, I think we would have gone down under Pellegrino, despite Swansea's capitulation

Hughes came in to keep us up, not put in a system, and he did that. He did what he needed to quickly, with a short term fix. So I have no ill feelings with him. I think we all knew he wasn't the right fit for the long term.

Except for those who gave him a 3 year deal, right?

Enjoyed Man U at home, his last game? Good midfield that day, Lemina and Hoj disrupting everything, making Pogba look silly. Brace from Armstrong, strong and very positive.

We are better defensively now though and maybe Man U wouldn't have got 2 back under the current system. Still, it was a good draw.

He's an old school manager. Sticks 11 out on the pitch and pretty much leaves it up to them to sort it out amongst themselves.

When you have good characters, it can work, but when you've got the likes of Cedric, Boufal and Hoedt moping around the place then it won't work.

I still don't quite understand how Hughes could come in and inspire an appalling team to turn it around like he did - he kept us up.

But he followed that up by building his own team to fail in the most spectacular of ways.

Bizarre.

Rare credit must go to the board for not repeating the mistake of a year earlier when they gave a failing manager too long.

It's been an odd journey.