Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 154

Thread: Newcastle vs Saints - Build Up

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Hidden behind enemy lines
    Posts
    10,561

    Default Newcastle vs Saints - Build Up

    Another game Iíd take a point from if offered it now. Late kick off on Saturday.

    The teams around us are away to Chelsea, Wolves and Arsenal, whilst Cardiff host Liverpool. Brighton have a further game, away to Spurs in midweek. A real chance to take a leap up the table.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Eastleigh
    Posts
    922

    Default

    1-2 Saints

  3. #3

    Default

    This is ours to win I think, we are in great form. I would love to see us persist with Sims as he was excellent today. My only change would be to drop Bednarek (who has had a couple of slightly weaker games, still been great though) and move to a four at the back. I think Newcastle will be pretty tough to break down therefore I would like to see an attacking formation. I'm thinking:

    Gunn
    Valery Yosh Vest Bertrand
    Romeu Hoj
    Jwp Sims
    Ings Redmond

    With Armstrong coming on for Sims if we need goals and Long and Bednarek on for Sims and Ings if we need to hold a lead

  4. #4

    Default

    We should have a chance of victory here and then I would like to see RH put out some U23’s players for the rest of the games.
    Moving forward our defence is too weak. I’m not sure if it’s Yoshi, Beddy or the big lump?
    I’m pretty sure RH will go 4 at the back next season plus he would get a better covering midfielder for that role.

    That means another CB, midfielder, and a fit striker for next season.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Under The Toomers
    Posts
    5,058

    Default

    It's a game we have a good chance of winning but I would not be unhappy with a draw.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    It's grim oop north
    Posts
    7,145

    Default

    If Cardiff don't beat Brighton in midweek then the final relegation place is all but nailed on. They would need to win all 4 of their remaining games to have any chance of overtaking us.

    This will be my first ever visit to SJP, and my first game since the cup final two years ago. I'm really hoping that with both teams virtually guaranteed safe from relegation now, the pressure will be off and it will be an open and entertaining game.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Amesbury
    Posts
    13,188

    Default

    Every reason to believe we can win

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pilchards View Post
    We should have a chance of victory here and then I would like to see RH put out some U23’s players for the rest of the games.
    Moving forward our defence is too weak. I’m not sure if it’s Yoshi, Beddy or the big lump?
    I’m pretty sure RH will go 4 at the back next season plus he would get a better covering midfielder for that role.

    That means another CB, midfielder, and a fit striker for next season.
    That “big lump” as you so eloquently put it had a great game against Wolves and has been pretty impressive since his error away to Cardiff last December.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pilchards View Post
    We should have a chance of victory here and then I would like to see RH put out some U23’s players for the rest of the games.
    Moving forward our defence is too weak. I’m not sure if it’s Yoshi, Beddy or the big lump?
    I’m pretty sure RH will go 4 at the back next season plus he would get a better covering midfielder for that role.

    That means another CB, midfielder, and a fit striker for next season.
    Seeing as you describe the striker needing to be fit, does that mean the CB and midfielder don’t need to be?

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Romsey.
    Posts
    1,380

    Default

    Keep a winning team, momentum , form and the feel good factor and set us up nicely for the all important Bournemouth game, as my god did Solent have a meltdown after that 5-0 win yesterday, what on earth would they do if the were to beat us a s well!!??

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The metropolis of Wem
    Posts
    6,545

    Default

    Getting some difficult choices now, in a good way. I'd say Vestergaard, Romeu, JWP, Armstrong, Sims and Long are competing for places alongside a core of

    Gunn
    Valery (if not fit, Stephens) Maya, Bednarek, Bertrand
    Hojbjerg
    Redmond
    Ings

    depending on formation.

    The exciting part of having a real manager with flexibility and intelligence is that all of the above can play a part either starting or as subs with the set-up changing as the game unfolds.

    I have a hunch Sims will give way to Romeu in the starting eleven, otherwise unchanged. I feel for Armstrong as he's been impressive but is really getting squeezed out.

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Hidden behind enemy lines
    Posts
    10,561

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bexy View Post
    If Cardiff don't beat Brighton in midweek then the final relegation place is all but nailed on. They would need to win all 4 of their remaining games to have any chance of overtaking us.
    If we win this and Cardiff lose and draw against Brighton/Liverpool then we're mathematically safe.
    If we get a draw and Cardiff lose then we're all but safe, baring a 21+ swing in GD I think.

    Not that I'm worried about them any more, we're closer to 11th than 18th and I'd still be 90% confident of safety if we scored no points in our last 5 games.

  13. Default

    I think before losing to Palace, Newcastle had won 5 or 6 straight at home, so they are decent.

    Rondon will be a handful.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The metropolis of Wem
    Posts
    6,545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ALWAYS_SFC View Post
    Every reason to believe we can win
    Additional incentive is a win takes us above them

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    27,266

    Default

    I'm going for a 1-1

    Sims out, Romeu in

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    I'm going for a 1-1

    Sims out, Romeu in
    I agree in both counts. Would be happy with a point.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wild-saint View Post
    Seeing as you describe the striker needing to be fit, does that mean the CB and midfielder don’t need to be?
    Its generally known that strikers miss more games than midfielders and defenders due to CB kicking lumps out of them.
    Regarding the big lump, I could not remember his name at the time but I will add that he made two shocking mistakes yesterday that could of cost us.
    IMHO he switches off too much and is a tad slow.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    I'm going for a 1-1

    Sims out, Romeu in
    Thatíll do for me.

  19. #19

    Default

    Both teams in decent form, both teams safe, should be a good game. Our record up there is poor though, a point would be a good result. A win would be nice though, see how far up the table we can send the season.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bexy View Post
    This will be my first ever visit to SJP, .
    Hope you're feeling fit, there's an awful lot of stairs to get to your seat. The only away ground where I've been wary about standing!

  21. #21

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Camden, London
    Posts
    9,798

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSAINT View Post
    I think before losing to Palace, Newcastle had won 5 or 6 straight at home, so they are decent.

    Rondon will be a handful.
    Rondon is the one player I wish we had from teams around us (and many of the others). We could do with someone so physical, and so talented. Will be a right handful.

  22. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DT View Post
    Rondon is the one player I wish we had from teams around us (and many of the others). We could do with someone so physical, and so talented. Will be a right handful.
    Wouldn't mind us going for a striker who can do better than a 1 goal in 4 strike rate in recent years.

    Can see us grabbing a point at least here, Newcastle are better at sitting back and hitting on the break much like us, but the emphasis will be on them to push out being at home n all.

  23. Default

    In my predictor, I have this down as a defeat. But Saints keep exceeding my expectation lately, so even a point will be a good result.
    But Newcastle are playing well now, so this will be a tough game.

  24. #24

    Default

    Looking forward to it, meant to be nice weather too!

    Confident in any team we put out to get a result up there. They're decent at home, but we are in good form, should be a good game. They'll likely sit back with 11 behind the ball and look to counter on us. Sold out away end too.

  25. Default

    Apologies.... I expect this has been asked numerous times before but this is my first ever trip to St James Park and I'm far too lazy to search for the info...! (playing my 'honesty is the best policy' card there )....

    Q: Best pubs for away fans...?

    Cheers

  26. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pilchards View Post
    We should have a chance of victory here and then I would like to see RH put out some U23ís players for the rest of the games.
    Moving forward our defence is too weak. Iím not sure if itís Yoshi, Beddy or the big lump?
    Iím pretty sure RH will go 4 at the back next season plus he would get a better covering midfielder for that role.

    That means another CB, midfielder, and a fit striker for next season.
    If it is about £2M for every league place, I would hope it is in Ralph's interest to get as high as possible to enhance the monies available for "another CB, midfielder and fit striker", rather than " put out some U23s for the rest of the games".

  27. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingsland Red View Post
    If it is about £2M for every league place, I would hope it is in Ralph's interest to get as high as possible to enhance the monies available for "another CB, midfielder and fit striker", rather than " put out some U23s for the rest of the games".
    Agree, and Ralph has already been giving plenty of game time to those u23s who he thinks are good enough. No need to throw more in for the sake of it.
    Push for as many points as possible, could make a big difference and would help us go into the summer on a high.

  28. #28

    Default

    This has the potential to be a very exciting and even high-scoring game, with both teams now virtually safe and in good form and full of confidence. I'm thinking it could be a 3-2 scoreline for us or them!

  29. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trousers View Post
    Apologies.... I expect this has been asked numerous times before but this is my first ever trip to St James Park and I'm far too lazy to search for the info...! (playing my 'honesty is the best policy' card there )....

    Q: Best pubs for away fans...?

    Cheers
    Wish I could remember but I wasn't driving.. but I think it was The Crown Posada. Lots of good ales and lovely ceiling fanlights, friendly home fans too.

  30. #30

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Camden, London
    Posts
    9,798

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skintsaint View Post
    Wouldn't mind us going for a striker who can do better than a 1 goal in 4 strike rate in recent years.

    Can see us grabbing a point at least here, Newcastle are better at sitting back and hitting on the break much like us, but the emphasis will be on them to push out being at home n all.
    Isn't 1 in 4 way better than any of our lot?

  31. #31

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    It's grim oop north
    Posts
    7,145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DT View Post
    Isn't 1 in 4 way better than any of our lot?
    Not really. Shane Long is currently sitting on 2 in 2!

  32. #32

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Camden, London
    Posts
    9,798

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bexy View Post
    Not really. Shane Long is currently sitting on 2 in 2!
    That's his allocation for the next decade

  33. #33

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    THE NOU CAMP
    Posts
    1,599

    Default

    not sure how many of you watched Newcastle beat Leicester away on Friday but I can tell you they were good and this will not be an easy game at all. I think both sides have responded well when the pressure was on and both sides are safe now barring a Cardiff/Brighton miracle. I will be happy with a draw but think Newcastle with the barmy army behind them will win this one.

  34. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DT View Post
    Isn't 1 in 4 way better than any of our lot?
    No

    Danny Ings has 7 in 20 league games this season

  35. #35

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    22,306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SaintAndy14 View Post
    This has the potential to be a very exciting and even high-scoring game, with both teams now virtually safe and in good form and full of confidence. I'm thinking it could be a 3-2 scoreline for us or them!
    Can't imagine many Benitez games like that. They're defensive and hard to beat. We'll probably go there defensive too. Can see a 0-0.

    Draw here and a win home to Bournemouth would be great. Would just love to see us go the rest of the season unbeaten and really have some confidence to start next year.

  36. #36

    Default

    I have a good feeling about this one. Newcastle are well organised and well drilled, but now they're safe I wonder if they will try and be a bit more expansive (more influenced by their home crowd than their manager!) which might work in our favour. I'm going for a 2-1 win.

  37. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BARCELONASAINT View Post
    not sure how many of you watched Newcastle beat Leicester away on Friday but I can tell you they were good and this will not be an easy game at all. I think both sides have responded well when the pressure was on and both sides are safe now barring a Cardiff/Brighton miracle. I will be happy with a draw but think Newcastle with the barmy army behind them will win this one.
    Of course Newcastle will be hard, they're playing well at the moment and Rafa is a damn good manager, plus our record in the north east is f*cking atrocious. But we're playing well too and we've got a decent amount of confidence, plus we're not mathematically safe yet.

    Personally i wouldn't be surprised at all to see us get a score draw there, though i do think the key is to start Sims.

  38. #38

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    22,306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post
    No

    Danny Ings has 7 in 20 league games this season
    I really don't think we should be using stats that include Mark Hughes games. Not unless every club has been managed by Mark Hughes that season to make it fair.

    There's just no comparison between player use, performance and results with Hughes and without. That's as much Hughes being awful as Ralph being good.

  39. #39

    Default

    Driving up on Friday, stopping off on the way to do a new ground. Choices are:

    Mansfield v Morecambe
    Burton v Pompey
    S****horpe v Blackpool

    Mansfield currently first choice. Not sure I want to be in the same stadium as the Pompey fans, especially if they win although it would be hilarious if they dropped points.
    S****horpe would be alright but the ground is on the edge of town and it seems like an utter dump if I fancy a few beers after.

  40. #40

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    On the frontline in Locks Heath
    Posts
    6,729

    Default

    Think this could be a loss...Newcastle are a well drilled side and at home are always hard to beat...bit of a bogey team for us. Hoping for a sneaky 0-1 but head is saying more like 2-0 to the home side.

  41. #41

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    stamping on peoples dreams since 2010
    Posts
    28,114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
    Driving up on Friday, stopping off on the way to do a new ground. Choices are:

    Mansfield v Morecambe
    Burton v Pompey
    S****horpe v Blackpool

    Mansfield currently first choice. Not sure I want to be in the same stadium as the Pompey fans, especially if they win although it would be hilarious if they dropped points.
    S****horpe would be alright but the ground is on the edge of town and it seems like an utter dump if I fancy a few beers after.
    It’s a shame Harrogate town are away or I’d have met you for a pint, introduced you to the Harrogate Chaos Crew and let you experience the passsion of the Curva nord, Wetherby Road. However some other good games in the conference in the area, Gateshead v Chesterfield, Chesterfield will bring a few up the A1, Hartlepool v Halifax, or in the conference north Darlington v Bradford PA or York v Spennymoor.

  42. #42

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kings Worthy
    Posts
    19,981
    Blog Entries
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
    Driving up on Friday, stopping off on the way to do a new ground. Choices are:

    Mansfield v Morecambe
    Burton v Pompey
    S****horpe v Blackpool

    Mansfield currently first choice. Not sure I want to be in the same stadium as the Pompey fans, especially if they win although it would be hilarious if they dropped points.
    S****horpe would be alright but the ground is on the edge of town and it seems like an utter dump if I fancy a few beers after.
    If that's the motivation then Burton is a brewery town. Mansfield is also good for pubs with it's location.

  43. #43

    Default

    0-4 Saints

  44. #44

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    It's grim oop north
    Posts
    7,145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
    Driving up on Friday, stopping off on the way to do a new ground. Choices are:

    Mansfield v Morecambe
    Burton v Pompey
    S****horpe v Blackpool

    Mansfield currently first choice. Not sure I want to be in the same stadium as the Pompey fans, especially if they win although it would be hilarious if they dropped points.
    S****horpe would be alright but the ground is on the edge of town and it seems like an utter dump if I fancy a few beers after.
    Yep, avoid S****horpe like the plague. I've been there once or twice for work and it doesn't have a single redeeming feature.

    In fairness, neither Mansfield or Burton are particularly nice places either, but both are like shining emerald cities compared to Scunny.

  45. #45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
    It’s a shame Harrogate town are away or I’d have met you for a pint, introduced you to the Harrogate Chaos Crew and let you experience the passsion of the Curva nord, Wetherby Road. However some other good games in the conference in the area, Gateshead v Chesterfield, Chesterfield will bring a few up the A1, Hartlepool v Halifax, or in the conference north Darlington v Bradford PA or York v Spennymoor.
    Looked at a few of those but want to tick another of the 92 off. Lucky Harrogate are away because I don't want to get mixed up with the Chaos Crew after hearing about them chasing Steve Grant and the Sutton lads around this season.

  46. #46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
    Driving up on Friday, stopping off on the way to do a new ground. Choices are:

    Mansfield v Morecambe
    Burton v Pompey
    S****horpe v Blackpool

    Mansfield currently first choice. Not sure I want to be in the same stadium as the Pompey fans, especially if they win although it would be hilarious if they dropped points.
    S****horpe would be alright but the ground is on the edge of town and it seems like an utter dump if I fancy a few beers after.
    S****horpe is great. My ex's family were from there and I bought her Grandad a S****horpe season ticket - it's a great little ground. The town is 'interesting' - personally I'd give that a go over the rest. Just avoid pubs on the nearby estates and stick the centre, it's fine.

  47. #47

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Hidden behind enemy lines
    Posts
    10,561

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    S****horpe is great. My ex's family were from there and I bought her Grandad a S****horpe season ticket - it's a great little ground. The town is 'interesting' - personally I'd give that a go over the rest. Just avoid pubs on the nearby estates and stick the centre, it's fine.
    My first away game. The area around GP is er... cultural but it's a proper good old fashioned, tin lid ground.

  48. #48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bexy View Post
    Not really. Shane Long is currently sitting on 2 in 2!
    Years.

    Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

  49. #49

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bexy View Post
    Yep, avoid S****horpe like the plague. I've been there once or twice for work and it doesn't have a single redeeming feature.

    In fairness, neither Mansfield or Burton are particularly nice places either, but both are like shining emerald cities compared to Scunny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    S****horpe is great. My ex's family were from there and I bought her Grandad a S****horpe season ticket - it's a great little ground. The town is 'interesting' - personally I'd give that a go over the rest. Just avoid pubs on the nearby estates and stick the centre, it's fine.
    Steady on Bexy, Sunny Scunny is not the cultural hub of the universe for sure but it's got feelings too!

    My dad was the local surgeon there for 20 years and had to operate on some of the Scunny players...I used to watch the odd game at Glanford Park and got to know a few of the people linked to the club. Good honest folks. Trying to keep a dying steel industry and suffering town alive let alone a football club. We shouldn't forget our Scunny heritage either...Kevin Keegan and Nigel Adkins...

    If you want architecture it's not your place - but if you're okay with an honest pint with down-to-earth people you won't go wrong. Been centuries since I was there so can't give you a recommendation on a good pub - I'd have kept out of the town centre though. The Berkeley Hotel is a stones throw away from the ground - unpretentious red brick building with lots of space - probably still there and will welcome you i'm sure.

  50. #50

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    6,621

    Default

    Flying up from Heathrow early Saturday and back Sunday. Have a rubbish record up here, except the Elia year. Looking forward to it though and think we can get a result.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •