Newcastle vs Saints - Build Up

Lighthouse

Another game I’d take a point from if offered it now. Late kick off on Saturday.

The teams around us are away to Chelsea, Wolves and Arsenal, whilst Cardiff host Liverpool. Brighton have a further game, away to Spurs in midweek. A real chance to take a leap up the table.

This is ours to win I think, we are in great form. I would love to see us persist with Sims as he was excellent today. My only change would be to drop Bednarek (who has had a couple of slightly weaker games, still been great though) and move to a four at the back. I think Newcastle will be pretty tough to break down therefore I would like to see an attacking formation. I'm thinking:

Gunn

Valery Yosh Vest Bertrand

Romeu Hoj

Jwp Sims

Ings Redmond

With Armstrong coming on for Sims if we need goals and Long and Bednarek on for Sims and Ings if we need to hold a lead

We should have a chance of victory here and then I would like to see RH put out some U23’s players for the rest of the games.

Moving forward our defence is too weak. I’m not sure if it’s Yoshi, Beddy or the big lump?

I’m pretty sure RH will go 4 at the back next season plus he would get a better covering midfielder for that role.

That means another CB, midfielder, and a fit striker for next season.

If Cardiff don't beat Brighton in midweek then the final relegation place is all but nailed on. They would need to win all 4 of their remaining games to have any chance of overtaking us.

This will be my first ever visit to SJP, and my first game since the cup final two years ago. I'm really hoping that with both teams virtually guaranteed safe from relegation now, the pressure will be off and it will be an open and entertaining game.

We should have a chance of victory here and then I would like to see RH put out some U23’s players for the rest of the games.

Moving forward our defence is too weak. I’m not sure if it’s Yoshi, Beddy or the big lump?

I’m pretty sure RH will go 4 at the back next season plus he would get a better covering midfielder for that role.

That “big lump” as you so eloquently put it had a great game against Wolves and has been pretty impressive since his error away to Cardiff last December.

Seeing as you describe the striker needing to be fit, does that mean the CB and midfielder don’t need to be?

Keep a winning team, momentum , form and the feel good factor and set us up nicely for the all important Bournemouth game, as my god did Solent have a meltdown after that 5-0 win yesterday, what on earth would they do if the were to beat us a s well!!??

Getting some difficult choices now, in a good way. I'd say Vestergaard, Romeu, JWP, Armstrong, Sims and Long are competing for places alongside a core of

Gunn

Valery (if not fit, Stephens) Maya, Bednarek, Bertrand

Hojbjerg

Redmond

Ings

depending on formation.

The exciting part of having a real manager with flexibility and intelligence is that all of the above can play a part either starting or as subs with the set-up changing as the game unfolds.

I have a hunch Sims will give way to Romeu in the starting eleven, otherwise unchanged. I feel for Armstrong as he's been impressive but is really getting squeezed out.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

If Cardiff don't beat Brighton in midweek then the final relegation place is all but nailed on. They would need to win all 4 of their remaining games to have any chance of overtaking us.

If we win this and Cardiff lose and draw against Brighton/Liverpool then we're mathematically safe.

If we get a draw and Cardiff lose then we're all but safe, baring a 21+ swing in GD I think.

Not that I'm worried about them any more, we're closer to 11th than 18th and I'd still be 90% confident of safety if we scored no points in our last 5 games.

Seeing as you describe the striker needing to be fit, does that mean the CB and midfielder don’t need to be?

Its generally known that strikers miss more games than midfielders and defenders due to CB kicking lumps out of them.

Regarding the big lump, I could not remember his name at the time but I will add that he made two shocking mistakes yesterday that could of cost us.

IMHO he switches off too much and is a tad slow.

I think before losing to Palace, Newcastle had won 5 or 6 straight at home, so they are decent.

Rondon will be a handful.

Rondon is the one player I wish we had from teams around us (and many of the others). We could do with someone so physical, and so talented. Will be a right handful.

Rondon is the one player I wish we had from teams around us (and many of the others). We could do with someone so physical, and so talented. Will be a right handful.

Wouldn't mind us going for a striker who can do better than a 1 goal in 4 strike rate in recent years.

Can see us grabbing a point at least here, Newcastle are better at sitting back and hitting on the break much like us, but the emphasis will be on them to push out being at home n all.

Looking forward to it, meant to be nice weather too!

Confident in any team we put out to get a result up there. They're decent at home, but we are in good form, should be a good game. They'll likely sit back with 11 behind the ball and look to counter on us. Sold out away end too.

Apologies.... I expect this has been asked numerous times before but this is my first ever trip to St James Park and I'm far too lazy to search for the info...! (playing my 'honesty is the best policy' card there :) )....

Q: Best pubs for away fans...?

Cheers

If it is about £2M for every league place, I would hope it is in Ralph's interest to get as high as possible to enhance the monies available for "another CB, midfielder and fit striker", rather than " put out some U23s for the rest of the games".

If it is about £2M for every league place, I would hope it is in Ralph's interest to get as high as possible to enhance the monies available for "another CB, midfielder and fit striker", rather than " put out some U23s for the rest of the games".

Agree, and Ralph has already been giving plenty of game time to those u23s who he thinks are good enough. No need to throw more in for the sake of it.

Push for as many points as possible, could make a big difference and would help us go into the summer on a high.

Apologies.... I expect this has been asked numerous times before but this is my first ever trip to St James Park and I'm far too lazy to search for the info...! (playing my 'honesty is the best policy' card there :) )....

Q: Best pubs for away fans...?

Cheers

Wish I could remember but I wasn't driving.. but I think it was The Crown Posada. Lots of good ales and lovely ceiling fanlights, friendly home fans too.

Wouldn't mind us going for a striker who can do better than a 1 goal in 4 strike rate in recent years.

Can see us grabbing a point at least here, Newcastle are better at sitting back and hitting on the break much like us, but the emphasis will be on them to push out being at home n all.

Isn't 1 in 4 way better than any of our lot?

not sure how many of you watched Newcastle beat Leicester away on Friday but I can tell you they were good and this will not be an easy game at all. I think both sides have responded well when the pressure was on and both sides are safe now barring a Cardiff/Brighton miracle. I will be happy with a draw but think Newcastle with the barmy army behind them will win this one.

I have a good feeling about this one. Newcastle are well organised and well drilled, but now they're safe I wonder if they will try and be a bit more expansive (more influenced by their home crowd than their manager!) which might work in our favour. I'm going for a 2-1 win.

not sure how many of you watched Newcastle beat Leicester away on Friday but I can tell you they were good and this will not be an easy game at all. I think both sides have responded well when the pressure was on and both sides are safe now barring a Cardiff/Brighton miracle. I will be happy with a draw but think Newcastle with the barmy army behind them will win this one.

Of course Newcastle will be hard, they're playing well at the moment and Rafa is a damn good manager, plus our record in the north east is f*cking atrocious. But we're playing well too and we've got a decent amount of confidence, plus we're not mathematically safe yet.

Personally i wouldn't be surprised at all to see us get a score draw there, though i do think the key is to start Sims.

Driving up on Friday, stopping off on the way to do a new ground. Choices are:

Mansfield v Morecambe

Burton v Pompey

S****horpe v Blackpool

Mansfield currently first choice. Not sure I want to be in the same stadium as the Pompey fans, especially if they win although it would be hilarious if they dropped points.

S****horpe would be alright but the ground is on the edge of town and it seems like an utter dump if I fancy a few beers after.

Mansfield v Morecambe

Burton v Pompey

S****horpe v Blackpool

Mansfield currently first choice. Not sure I want to be in the same stadium as the Pompey fans, especially if they win although it would be hilarious if they dropped points.

S****horpe would be alright but the ground is on the edge of town and it seems like an utter dump if I fancy a few beers after.

It’s a shame Harrogate town are away or I’d have met you for a pint, introduced you to the Harrogate Chaos Crew and let you experience the passsion of the Curva nord, Wetherby Road. However some other good games in the conference in the area, Gateshead v Chesterfield, Chesterfield will bring a few up the A1, Hartlepool v Halifax, or in the conference north Darlington v Bradford PA or York v Spennymoor.

Mansfield v Morecambe

Burton v Pompey

S****horpe v Blackpool

If that's the motivation then Burton is a brewery town. Mansfield is also good for pubs with it's location.

Mansfield v Morecambe

Burton v Pompey

S****horpe v Blackpool

Yep, avoid Scunthorpe like the plague. I've been there once or twice for work and it doesn't have a single redeeming feature.

In fairness, neither Mansfield or Burton are particularly nice places either, but both are like shining emerald cities compared to Scunny.

It’s a shame Harrogate town are away or I’d have met you for a pint, introduced you to the Harrogate Chaos Crew and let you experience the passsion of the Curva nord, Wetherby Road. However some other good games in the conference in the area, Gateshead v Chesterfield, Chesterfield will bring a few up the A1, Hartlepool v Halifax, or in the conference north Darlington v Bradford PA or York v Spennymoor.

Looked at a few of those but want to tick another of the 92 off. Lucky Harrogate are away because I don't want to get mixed up with the Chaos Crew after hearing about them chasing Steve Grant and the Sutton lads around this season.

Mansfield v Morecambe

Burton v Pompey

S****horpe v Blackpool

S****horpe is great. My ex's family were from there and I bought her Grandad a S****horpe season ticket - it's a great little ground. The town is 'interesting' - personally I'd give that a go over the rest. Just avoid pubs on the nearby estates and stick the centre, it's fine.

S****horpe is great. My ex's family were from there and I bought her Grandad a S****horpe season ticket - it's a great little ground. The town is 'interesting' - personally I'd give that a go over the rest. Just avoid pubs on the nearby estates and stick the centre, it's fine.

My first away game. The area around GP is er... cultural but it's a proper good old fashioned, tin lid ground.

Yep, avoid Scunthorpe like the plague. I've been there once or twice for work and it doesn't have a single redeeming feature.

In fairness, neither Mansfield or Burton are particularly nice places either, but both are like shining emerald cities compared to Scunny.

Steady on Bexy, Sunny Scunny is not the cultural hub of the universe for sure but it's got feelings too!

My dad was the local surgeon there for 20 years and had to operate on some of the Scunny players...I used to watch the odd game at Glanford Park and got to know a few of the people linked to the club. Good honest folks. Trying to keep a dying steel industry and suffering town alive let alone a football club. We shouldn't forget our Scunny heritage either...Kevin Keegan and Nigel Adkins...

If you want architecture it's not your place - but if you're okay with an honest pint with down-to-earth people you won't go wrong. Been centuries since I was there so can't give you a recommendation on a good pub - I'd have kept out of the town centre though. The Berkeley Hotel is a stones throw away from the ground - unpretentious red brick building with lots of space - probably still there and will welcome you i'm sure.

Flying up from Heathrow early Saturday and back Sunday. Have a rubbish record up here, except the Elia year. Looking forward to it though and think we can get a result.

Remember the Elia game well.

Didn't we also sneak a point when Long got us a 2-2 back when Dutch Schteve McClaren was in charge?