Newcastle vs Saints - Build Up

Lighthouse

Remember the Elia game well.

Didn't we also sneak a point when Long got us a 2-2 back when Dutch Schteve McClaren was in charge?

First game of the season wasn't it, few days after Arnham?

First game of the season wasn't it, few days after Arnham?

Yeah, we weren't actually managed by Ronald that day either - he was still in hospital with his broken ankle (i think). So Ewin took control on the sidelines.

It was 2-2, but we really should have won that. I remember Mane missing some absolute nightmare chances at the end.

Wish I could remember but I wasn't driving.. but I think it was The Crown Posada. Lots of good ales and lovely ceiling fanlights, friendly home fans too.

Yes great little pub... dark and narrow in a good way, can't fit mant people in there though.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186394-d3187680-Reviews-Crown_Posada-Newcastle_upon_Tyne_Tyne_and_Wear_England.html

If you want food as well you could try the Red House just round the corner towards quayside, bigger but also in historic building(s) and with a wonderful pie menu; beer tends to be more modern (e.g. Brooklyn Lager on tap).

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186394-d3730074-Reviews-The_Redhouse-Newcastle_upon_Tyne_Tyne_and_Wear_England.html

He’s got a hospital gown on under there

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cheap! Think what the poor bloke is feeling right now, still young but genuinely physically fragile it seems and quite possibly carrying a career threatening injury. He certainly isn't pulling a sickie or skiving as you seem to have implied more than once. No way anybody would do that or get away with it under this regime. Ralph cares about his players and will doing his best to help Mario through this difficult period.

Time to get off the lad's back!

Cheap! Think what the poor bloke is feeling right now, still young but genuinely physically fragile it seems and quite possibly carrying a career threatening injury. He certainly isn't pulling a sickie or skiving as you seem to have implied more than once. No way anybody would do that or get away with it under this regime. Ralph cares about his players and will doing his best to help Mario through this difficult period.

Ok. will give him benefit of doubt.

Any London Saints watching in a central London pub on Saturday at all, or any recommendations to do so? I've going to a gig at the Borderline later in the evening, so looking to find a pub to watch the game first. Cheers.

Well said - the lad has clearly suffered a complicated injury. There's no evidence that he has adopted a VVD, Lovren, Lallana etc attitude towards the Club - players do suffer genuine season ending injuries.

@SouthamptonFC

Ralph Hasenhüttl says that defender @JVestergaard7 is a doubt for this weekend's #PL meeting with #NUFC. #saintsfc

That's a shame. We needed aerial power to combat Rondon. Maybe put Bednarek on him?

Oh, that's a massive shame, for reasons Winchester mentions above.

@SouthamptonFC

Ralph Hasenhüttl says that defender @JVestergaard7 is a doubt for this weekend's #PL meeting with #NUFC. #saintsfc

Four at the back or Stephens, then.

That's a shame. We needed aerial power to combat Rondon. Maybe put Bednarek on him?

Oh, that's a massive shame, for reasons Winchester mentions above.

It's only a "niggle" so hopefully he'll make it....

@AdamBlackmore

#saintsfc defender Jannik Vestegaard is a late decision for Saturday’s game at Newcastle.

Returned to training today after 2 days away from the group with a niggle.

It's only a "niggle" so hopefully he'll make it....

@AdamBlackmore

#saintsfc defender Jannik Vestegaard is a late decision for Saturday’s game at Newcastle.

Returned to training today after 2 days away from the group with a niggle.

Echo reports we have a few small niggles.

Southampton have several injury concerns ahead of their game against Newcastle:

Jannik Vestergaard is an injury doubt for Saints’ game at Newcastle on Saturday.

The giant defender has been forced to sit out training with a minor niggle as a heavy season starts to take its toll on his body.

Vestergaard is one of several Saints players with small issues ahead of the trip to the North East, but there is good news on Mario Lemina who could be ready to figure at some point in the next few games.

“A few small injuries,” reported Ralph Hasenhuttl.

“Jannik Vestergaard has a little bit of a problem and didn’t train the last two days but today maybe he steps back in team training.

“Like in the last weeks also after intense games he had problems and needed longer for recovery, it’s a long season for a huge body and he’s struggling but we look to see if it is possible.

“Alex McCarthy problems after his training sessions and Matt Targett. Little bit problems.

“Chas has a bit of a problem with his shoulder but we have a look.”

He added: “Yan Valery is ok.

“Michael Obafmei is not training with the group. He is individual training sessions and Mario Lemina made a big step forward.

“He trained with the team and looks much better now.

“That’s good for him and good for us that we know we have an intense week with three games in a week so it will be nice if we have one more option.”

Lemina has yet to play in 2019 after an abdominal injury that required surgery but is getting nearer to figuring again.

“I spoke to say I am sure he will play more games this season,” said Hasenhuttl.

“I think the chances are big because now he’s training with the team and so maybe this injury time comes to an end.”

Source: https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/17582792.southampton-have-several-injury-concerns-ahead-of-their-game-against-newcastle/

"Hasenhüttl: Jannik Vestergaard has a little bit of a problem and didn’t train the last two days but today maybe he steps back in team training. Like in the last weeks also after intense games he had problems and needed longer for recovery, it’s a long season for a huge body and he’s struggling but we look to see if it is possible."

Hmm, he's only played in 26 games (2,330 minutes) this season. By comparison, Van Dijk has played 43 games (3,835 minutes).

Does having a "huge body" really make a player more prone to niggles, despite playing less games?

Edited by trousers

I've had a dream we lose this 1 nil , would have been 1 all but a dog ran on the pitch as we scored and the ref ruled it out !

We often lose to Newcastle by a goal, and I'll always remember the exciting defeat to Robson's team at St Mary's before we were demoted. Since then, and where we are right now under Ralph, we 're the better team.

I've a good hunch we'll surprise them with our new attacking options. Toons will dominate possession but we're sharper in front of goal on the break. 2-3 Saints. It's going to be a memorable classic.

"Hasenhüttl: Jannik Vestergaard has a little bit of a problem and didn’t train the last two days but today maybe he steps back in team training. Like in the last weeks also after intense games he had problems and needed longer for recovery, it’s a long season for a huge body and he’s struggling but we look to see if it is possible."

Hmm, he's only played in 26 games (2,330 minutes) this season. By comparison, Van Dijk has played 43 games (3,835 minutes).

Does having a "huge body" really make a player more prone to niggles?

Ralph probably knows. He's not a small chap.

Those little niggles around the squad are definitely worth thinking about with 3 games in a week coming up.

Sounds like Lemina might be on the bench at the weekend if he can be bothered?

Might go with his favourable 4-2-2-2 formation?

Gunn; Valery Bednarek Yoshida Bertrand; Romeu Hojbjerg; JWP Sims; Redmond Ings ?

What pubs are people aiming for? Been to Players Bar in the gate the last few times I've been which is good fun...!

Does having a "huge body" really make a player more prone to niggles, despite playing less games?

Body wise Van Dijk and Vestergaard have very little in common. Both are indeed tall, however Vestergaard is more what we call an ectomorph (low fat percentage, struggles to build muscle and generally skinny), whilst Van Dijk is leaning towards body type mesomorph (low/medium fat percentage and musculair). If Vestergaard and Van Dijk were both to do weights with the aim to build muscle, Van Dijk would become huge whilst Vestergaard would really struggle to put on more muscle. However if both were train for a marathon, I would put my money on Vestergaard.

That said, Van Dijk is quite a freak when talking about athletics and injuries, the guy is hardly ever injured (except when Vardy stamped on him).

He talks a good game about leaving but his family are in the north east & it suits him to be there.

It's the only reason he's still there.

Surely his family are in the North East because he works at Newcastle? It's not like he is Jimmy Nail.