Thread: Squad for 2019/20 Season

Default Squad for 2019/20 Season

So almost safe...we can start thinking about next season, which could be a cracker under Ralph...I'd be looking to get rid of the ones in red.

Not sure about how many youth prospects that will need to be included in the "25" man squad, but if we did as below we'd have 19 spots taken (Vokins u-21 still?), gives us room for 6 new signings. 1xGK, 1xCB, 4xAM/ST. FWIW, I'd keep McCarthy, but I'd let him go if he wants to play first team football. Could be some clear out this summer....

Keepers
    Gunn
    Lewis
    McCarthy
    Forster

Defenders
    Valery
    Ramsay
    Cedric

Bednarek
    Yoshida
    Vestergaard
    Jones
    Stephens
    Hoedt

Bertrand
    Vokins
    Targett
    McQueen

Midfielders
    Romeu
    JWP
    Hojbjerg
    Slattery
    Clasie
    Lemina
    Reed

Attacking Midfielders
    Sims
    Redmond
    Armstrong
    Boufal
    Johnson
    Elyounoussi

Strikers
    Long
    Ings
    Obafemi
    Carrillo
    Austin
    Gallagher
    Barnes
    Last edited by Saint Garrett; 15-04-2019 at 01:49 PM.

Because of the turn around in performances with our existing players, I reckon we could be in for a decent season as long as we get the following signings right; 1 x RB, 1 X CB, 1 x ST.

I think the following will either be sold, or out on loan; McCarthy, Stephens, Hoedt, Austin, Elyounoussi, Gallagher, Forster (if we can get rid), Cedric, Davis, Boufal (Dont see Hasenhuttl putting up with his attitude and we have better AMs now anyway), Clasie, Carillo, Austin.

So we will end up something like this;

GK
    Gunn
    Lewis
    Rose

RB
    New
    Valery
    Ramsey

LB
    Bertrand
    Targett
    McQueen

CB
    New
    Bednarek
    Vestergaard
    Yoshida
    Jones

CM
    Hojbjerg
    Romeu
    Lemina
    Slattery
    Reed

AM
    Redmond
    Ward-Prowse
    Armstrong
    Sims
    Hesketh
    Johnson

FWD
    New
    Ings
    Long
    Obafemi
    Barnes

We will probably see some new faces pop up from the academy too to bolster that. On paper the side looks kind of thin, but thats just an indicator of the sheer amount of expensive deadweight we've accumulated.

First XI something like this;

-----------------------Gunn------------------------
    ----------Bednarek--Vestergaard--New------------
    --New--------Hojbjerg------Romeu------Bertrand--
    ---Prowse----------------------------Redmond-------
    -----------------------New----------------------------

Subs; Lewis, Yoshi, Targett, Lemina, Armstrong, Sims, Ings.

Depth; Rose, Valery, Ramsey, McQueen, Jones, Slattery, Reed, Hesketh, Johnson, Obafemi, Barnes.

Quote Originally Posted by Shandy_Top_89 View Post
    Because of the turn around in performances with our existing players, I reckon we could be in for a decent season as long as we get the following signings right; 1 x RB, 1 X CB, 1 x ST.

I think the following will either be sold, or out on loan; McCarthy, Stephens, Hoedt, Austin, Elyounoussi, Gallagher, Forster (if we can get rid), Cedric, Davis, Boufal (Dont see Hasenhuttl putting up with his attitude and we have better AMs now anyway), Clasie, Carillo, Austin.

So we will end up something like this;

GK
    Gunn
    Lewis
    Rose

RB
    New
    Valery
    Ramsey

LB
    Bertrand
    Targett
    McQueen

CB
    New
    Bednarek
    Vestergaard
    Yoshida
    Jones

CM
    Hojbjerg
    Romeu
    Lemina
    Slattery
    Reed

AM
    Redmond
    Ward-Prowse
    Armstrong
    Sims
    Hesketh
    Johnson

FWD
    New
    Ings
    Long
    Obafemi
    Barnes

We will probably see some new faces pop up from the academy too to bolster that. On paper the side looks kind of thin, but thats just an indicator of the sheer amount of expensive deadweight we've accumulated.

First XI something like this;

-----------------------Gunn------------------------
    ----------Bednarek--Vestergaard--New------------
    --New--------Hojbjerg------Romeu------Bertrand--
    ---Prowse----------------------------Redmond-------
    -----------------------New----------------------------

Subs; Lewis, Yoshi, Targett, Lemina, Armstrong, Sims, Ings.

Depth; Rose, Valery, Ramsey, McQueen, Jones, Slattery, Reed, Hesketh, Johnson, Obafemi, Barnes.
    Agree with most of that but I think Long is a goner too. No space for him with Ings, Obafemi (who Ralph likes) and a new striker. Also would not be surprised if Armstrong left too. His playing time has dramatically eroded, and now with Sims emerging it will just get worse. He seems to be the midfield version of the "last 10 minutes with Austin if needed" role

It's exciting that we can reduce the squad size and still have a very good squad. And plenty will get better with experience. Looking forward to seeing Sims, Slattery, Valery, Obafemi and more after a summer with Ralph.

I never thought it was a relegation squad. We declined from the Koeman days clearly, but any half decent manager should have had us 11th/12th. Ralph is better than that and I'm sure we'd be about 8th if he was here all season this year.

So add 2 or 3 good signings into the mix and things should look really promising for next season. First step is reclaiming our place in the top 8 after a couple of rubbish years. Then it's keeping Ralph or making sure we don't return to awful appointments that don't fit the club.

I know the thread says squad for next season, but think this will be a 2 year operation as we won't be able to shift all of the dross this summer, not unless we're either very lucky or take a major hit on resale value. With that in mind I think we're after something like:

In
    GK In Gunn McCarthy/Forster Lewis
    Out McCarthy/Forster Rose

RB In (no one)
    Out Cedric
    Youth Valery Ramsay
    Buy AN Other

LB In Bertrand Targett/McQueen
    Out Targett/McQueen
    Youth Vokins

CB In Bednarek Vestergaard
    Out Yoshuda (*) Hoedt Stephens
    Unsure Jones
    Youth (there's a few)
    Buy AN Other

CM In JWP PEH Romeu Slattery Lamina/Reed
    Out Classie Flannigan Lamina / Reed
    Youth Smallbone? Jankewitz?

AM In Sims
    Out Ely
    Unsure Hesketh Bouffal Armstrong
    Youth Johnson
    Buy AN Other 1 AN Other 2

F In Ings Redmond
    Out Carillo Austin Long Barnes Gallagher
    Youth Obafemi
    Buy AN Other 1 AN Other 2

Couple of caveats -
    - would keep Yoshida next season and let his contract run down
    - the number of 'AM's we need to buy is dependant on those we have question marks over; in an ideal world they all have a part to play but I have my doubts
    - would rather lose Forster than McCarthy but don't see a buyer for Forster
    - depending on how good Vokins is, might lose both Targett and McQueen
    - could sell both Lamina and Reed but think we'd need cover if youth not good enough?
    - nobody would be stupid enough to buy Ely off us this summer, may even struggle to shift next, will probably need to loan (and subsidise wages)
    - might get away with just one more forward, I'm possibly being greedy
    - for squad depth might need to keep Long for next season (give Obafemi another year to develop) and release when his contract is up

Like I say, think this will take a good 2 summers to sort. Think Armstrong will get another season, may struggle to move Carillo and Classie on this summer, may also see Stephens here for one more season.

But at least we seem to be heading in the right direction, and seem to have a manager with a plan. I'm genuinely excited to see what the summer holds and how much progress we make next season. Of course, one down side is that if we do continue our trajectory under Ralph, our plans may be knackered by getting bids we can't say no to for some of those we want to keep (PEH, Redmond, maybe even Valery), but that's football I guess!
    Last edited by Chewy; 16-04-2019 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Spacing went wrong ...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Garrett View Post
    So almost safe...we can start thinking about next season, which could be a cracker under Ralph...I'd be looking to get rid of the ones in red.

Not sure about how many youth prospects that will need to be included in the "25" man squad, but if we did as below we'd have 19 spots taken (Vokins u-21 still?), gives us room for 6 new signings. 1xGK, 1xCB, 4xAM/ST. FWIW, I'd keep McCarthy, but I'd let him go if he wants to play first team football. Could be some clear out this summer....

Keepers
    Gunn
    Lewis
    McCarthy
    Forster

Defenders
    Valery
    Ramsay
    Cedric

Bednarek
    Yoshida
    Vestergaard
    Jones
    Stephens
    Hoedt

Bertrand
    Vokins
    Targett
    McQueen

Midfielders
    Romeu
    JWP
    Hojbjerg
    Slattery
    Clasie
    Lemina
    Reed

Attacking Midfielders
    Sims
    Redmond
    Armstrong
    Boufal
    Johnson
    Elyounoussi

Strikers
    Long
    Ings
    Obafemi
    Carrillo
    Austin
    Gallagher
    Barnes
    I cannot see us being that lucky in seeing all those depart for money. Perhaps most on loan which in turn will impact any players coming in.

Any players arriving will be u24 I reckon. Wages will be lower. Hope to see more academy players given a go as well.

What about that Enzo Robise lad how is he devloping? Heard good things about him