Squad for 2019/20 Season

Saint Garrett

So almost safe...we can start thinking about next season, which could be a cracker under Ralph...I'd be looking to get rid of the ones in red.

Not sure about how many youth prospects that will need to be included in the "25" man squad, but if we did as below we'd have 19 spots taken (Vokins u-21 still?), gives us room for 6 new signings. 1xGK, 1xCB, 4xAM/ST. FWIW, I'd keep McCarthy, but I'd let him go if he wants to play first team football. Could be some clear out this summer....

Keepers

Gunn

Lewis

McCarthy

Forster

Defenders

Valery

Ramsay

Cedric

Bednarek

Yoshida

Vestergaard

Jones

Stephens

Hoedt

Bertrand

Vokins

Targett

McQueen

Midfielders

Romeu

JWP

Hojbjerg

Slattery

Clasie

Lemina

Reed

Attacking Midfielders

Sims

Redmond

Armstrong

Boufal

Johnson

Elyounoussi

Strikers

Long

Ings

Obafemi

Carrillo

Austin

Gallagher

Barnes

Edited by Saint Garrett

Because of the turn around in performances with our existing players, I reckon we could be in for a decent season as long as we get the following signings right; 1 x RB, 1 X CB, 1 x ST.

I think the following will either be sold, or out on loan; McCarthy, Stephens, Hoedt, Austin, Elyounoussi, Gallagher, Forster (if we can get rid), Cedric, Davis, Boufal (Dont see Hasenhuttl putting up with his attitude and we have better AMs now anyway), Clasie, Carillo, Austin.

So we will end up something like this;

GK

Gunn

Lewis

Rose

RB

New

Valery

Ramsey

LB

Bertrand

Targett

McQueen

CB

New

Bednarek

Vestergaard

Yoshida

Jones

CM

Hojbjerg

Romeu

Lemina

Slattery

Reed

AM

Redmond

Ward-Prowse

Armstrong

Sims

Hesketh

Johnson

FWD

New

Ings

Long

Obafemi

Barnes

We will probably see some new faces pop up from the academy too to bolster that. On paper the side looks kind of thin, but thats just an indicator of the sheer amount of expensive deadweight we've accumulated.

First XI something like this;

-----------------------Gunn------------------------

----------Bednarek--Vestergaard--New------------

--New--------Hojbjerg------Romeu------Bertrand--

---Prowse----------------------------Redmond-------

-----------------------New----------------------------

Subs; Lewis, Yoshi, Targett, Lemina, Armstrong, Sims, Ings.

Depth; Rose, Valery, Ramsey, McQueen, Jones, Slattery, Reed, Hesketh, Johnson, Obafemi, Barnes.

Because of the turn around in performances with our existing players, I reckon we could be in for a decent season as long as we get the following signings right; 1 x RB, 1 X CB, 1 x ST.

I think the following will either be sold, or out on loan; McCarthy, Stephens, Hoedt, Austin, Elyounoussi, Gallagher, Forster (if we can get rid), Cedric, Davis, Boufal (Dont see Hasenhuttl putting up with his attitude and we have better AMs now anyway), Clasie, Carillo, Austin.

So we will end up something like this;

GK

Gunn

Lewis

Rose

RB

New

Valery

Ramsey

LB

Bertrand

Targett

McQueen

CB

New

Bednarek

Vestergaard

Yoshida

Jones

CM

Hojbjerg

Romeu

Lemina

Slattery

Reed

AM

Redmond

Ward-Prowse

Armstrong

Sims

Hesketh

Johnson

FWD

New

Ings

Long

Obafemi

Barnes

We will probably see some new faces pop up from the academy too to bolster that. On paper the side looks kind of thin, but thats just an indicator of the sheer amount of expensive deadweight we've accumulated.

First XI something like this;

-----------------------Gunn------------------------

----------Bednarek--Vestergaard--New------------

--New--------Hojbjerg------Romeu------Bertrand--

---Prowse----------------------------Redmond-------

-----------------------New----------------------------

Subs; Lewis, Yoshi, Targett, Lemina, Armstrong, Sims, Ings.

Depth; Rose, Valery, Ramsey, McQueen, Jones, Slattery, Reed, Hesketh, Johnson, Obafemi, Barnes.

Agree with most of that but I think Long is a goner too. No space for him with Ings, Obafemi (who Ralph likes) and a new striker. Also would not be surprised if Armstrong left too. His playing time has dramatically eroded, and now with Sims emerging it will just get worse. He seems to be the midfield version of the "last 10 minutes with Austin if needed" role

I know the thread says squad for next season, but think this will be a 2 year operation as we won't be able to shift all of the dross this summer, not unless we're either very lucky or take a major hit on resale value. With that in mind I think we're after something like:

In

GK In Gunn McCarthy/Forster Lewis

Out McCarthy/Forster Rose

RB In (no one)

Out Cedric

Youth Valery Ramsay

Buy AN Other

LB In Bertrand Targett/McQueen

Out Targett/McQueen

Youth Vokins

CB In Bednarek Vestergaard

Out Yoshuda (*) Hoedt Stephens

Unsure Jones

Youth (there's a few)

Buy AN Other

CM In JWP PEH Romeu Slattery Lamina/Reed

Out Classie Flannigan Lamina / Reed

Youth Smallbone? Jankewitz?

AM In Sims

Out Ely

Unsure Hesketh Bouffal Armstrong

Youth Johnson

Buy AN Other 1 AN Other 2

F In Ings Redmond

Out Carillo Austin Long Barnes Gallagher

Youth Obafemi

Buy AN Other 1 AN Other 2

Couple of caveats -

- would keep Yoshida next season and let his contract run down

- the number of 'AM's we need to buy is dependant on those we have question marks over; in an ideal world they all have a part to play but I have my doubts

- would rather lose Forster than McCarthy but don't see a buyer for Forster

- depending on how good Vokins is, might lose both Targett and McQueen

- could sell both Lamina and Reed but think we'd need cover if youth not good enough?

- nobody would be stupid enough to buy Ely off us this summer, may even struggle to shift next, will probably need to loan (and subsidise wages)

- might get away with just one more forward, I'm possibly being greedy

- for squad depth might need to keep Long for next season (give Obafemi another year to develop) and release when his contract is up

Like I say, think this will take a good 2 summers to sort. Think Armstrong will get another season, may struggle to move Carillo and Classie on this summer, may also see Stephens here for one more season.

But at least we seem to be heading in the right direction, and seem to have a manager with a plan. I'm genuinely excited to see what the summer holds and how much progress we make next season. Of course, one down side is that if we do continue our trajectory under Ralph, our plans may be knackered by getting bids we can't say no to for some of those we want to keep (PEH, Redmond, maybe even Valery), but that's football I guess!

Edited by Chewy
Spacing went wrong ...

So almost safe...we can start thinking about next season, which could be a cracker under Ralph...I'd be looking to get rid of the ones in red.

Not sure about how many youth prospects that will need to be included in the "25" man squad, but if we did as below we'd have 19 spots taken (Vokins u-21 still?), gives us room for 6 new signings. 1xGK, 1xCB, 4xAM/ST. FWIW, I'd keep McCarthy, but I'd let him go if he wants to play first team football. Could be some clear out this summer....

Keepers

Gunn

Lewis

McCarthy

Forster

Defenders

Valery

Ramsay

Cedric

Bednarek

Yoshida

Vestergaard

Jones

Stephens

Hoedt

Bertrand

Vokins

Targett

McQueen

Midfielders

Romeu

JWP

Hojbjerg

Slattery

Clasie

Lemina

Reed

Attacking Midfielders

Sims

Redmond

Armstrong

Boufal

Johnson

Elyounoussi

Strikers

Long

Ings

Obafemi

Carrillo

Austin

Gallagher

Barnes

I cannot see us being that lucky in seeing all those depart for money. Perhaps most on loan which in turn will impact any players coming in.

Any players arriving will be u24 I reckon. Wages will be lower. Hope to see more academy players given a go as well.