Worst in the league!

saintquin

If the cost of the ten most used players were to reflect our position we should be 8 places higher.

That shows you how bad Hughes was as a manager or how much over the top we paid.

Would be interesting to see how we would fair from the time RH took charge!

pic.twitter.com/OQ0Z134ICD

BARgains can be had if you look hard enough... Fabian Schar at Newcastle is testament to that for 3 million. Here’s an article on him...

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hidden-talent-making-fabian-schar-16131684

Don’t ask why I chose Schar, he’s just the first that popped into my head.

Incidentally, our own defensive bargain Bednarek gets a nod in that article for most Interceptions.

I think if you pay big money, you should expect a relatively complete player, but our transfer philosophy seems to have been to pay big money for big team back-ups like Carrillo, Hoedt, Lemina and Gabbiadini. I hope that’s an

end to that philosophy.

BARgains can be had if you look hard enough... Fabian Schar at Newcastle is testament to that for 3 million. Here’s an article on him...

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hidden-talent-making-fabian-schar-16131684

Don’t ask why I chose Schar, he’s just the first that popped into my head.

Incidentally, our own defensive bargain Bednarek gets a nod in that article for most Interceptions.

I think if you pay big money, you should expect a relatively complete player, but our transfer philosophy seems to have been to pay big money for big team back-ups like Carrillo, Hoedt, Lemina and Gabbiadini. I hope that’s an

end to that philosophy.

I actually would prefer we change our wage structure slightly- any incoming transfers should not be offered more than £40k a week- and if that reduces the pool of players we get to choose from then so be it- we have players like Elyounoussi on like £60k a week, who if I recall correctly said something during the international break about how that has set him up for life. Bednarek I think is an example on the lower end of the wage scale in comparison to his peers

That way, it gives a sense of progression and maybe a motivation to improve to get on even bigger wages, either with us or for a top 6 club, and equally, should the player not perform, then well it makes it easier to offload too.

If they do perform fairly consistently well after say 2 seasons, then yeah sure, offer them £80k-100k- I feel that is the balance we need- superstars who warrant that pay, and the rest all on £40k a week or less. I guess that might even be the agenda soon anyway- a solid 13/14 players and then the rest from the academy on £20k or less.

Stephens/Hoedt/Elyounoussi/Boufal/Austin and other players on bench/on loan should never be earning more than a starting 11 player, and as a club we have far too many of those.