Summer 19 - Off Field Restructure

Dusic

Seems certain there will be some new hires this summer in the support staff structure.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6934445/Everton-chief-scout-Martyn-Glover-frame-new-Southampton-head-recruitment.html

Recruitment link.

Sure the guy is competent, but not sure Everton and Sunderland have been known for excellent recruitment over recent years...

Seems certain there will be some new hires this summer in the support staff structure.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6934445/Everton-chief-scout-Martyn-Glover-frame-new-Southampton-head-recruitment.html

Recruitment link.

Sure the guy is competent, but not sure Everton and Sunderland have been known for excellent recruitment over recent years...

Certainly not Sunderland.

Ross seems to continually land on his feet.

Well this is thoroughly underwhelming. I hoped we would go for Webber from Norwich as DoF. It now seems we will have Ross and the guy who thought giving Theo £100k pw and spending £27m on Tosun were good ideas. Penny for Ralph’s thoughts?

Reading up more on Glover he is an Allardyce lapdog, having followed him to West Ham, Sunderland and Everton.

Hope this isn't true, he doesn't have a great record and doesn't appear to fit our style.

Surely there are better candidates for what is a decent job?

Well this is thoroughly underwhelming. I hoped we would go for Webber from Norwich as DoF. It now seems we will have Ross and the guy who thought giving Theo £100k pw and spending £27m on Tosun were good ideas. Penny for Ralph’s thoughts?

It becomes more and more apparent that the man largely responsible for our success was Paul Mitchell, not Les Reed.

damn sight better than our in the last few

Debatable, they spent like £70 million alone on Tosun, Walcott and Klassen, the year before they spend nearly £30 million on Bolasie.

Probably their best signing is Richarlison and that one is clearly because of the manager, a few this year like Digne, Bernard and Silva on loan have also been good but considering their spend over the last 3 seasons has been £350 million, and they are currently 9th, that is a poor return IMO and that is the period this guy has overseen.

Also apparently Sandro Ramirez, amongst a few others are on massive wages that they can't shift and have gone out on loan, sound familiar?

Debatable, they spent like £70 million alone on Tosun, Walcott and Klassen, the year before they spend nearly £30 million on Bolasie.

Probably their best signing is Richarlison and that one is clearly because of the manager, a few this year like Digne, Bernard and Silva on loan have also been good but considering their spend over the last 3 seasons has been £350 million, and they are currently 9th, that is a poor return IMO and that is the period this guy has overseen.

Also apparently Sandro Ramirez, amongst a few others are on massive wages that they can't shift and have gone out on loan, sound familiar?

yep, we spunked loads and lucky to be in the league

as well as selling anyone decent with a pulse

On the plus side, Everton signed Lookman under his watch.

True SS, but I think Koeman and co. would also have had a hand in that with us heavily linked the in preceding windows. Glover would be a puzzling hire and hardly a successful cv or progressive set of mentors. Hopefully a speculative story.

yep, we spunked loads and lucky to be in the league

as well as selling anyone decent with a pulse

In terms of which team has done more with their resources, its clearly us, if we win our game in hand over them then they'll be just 7 points better off than us. That is despite poor signings like Carillo and Boufal.

And most of that is down to the largely inept management of Hughes, a full season of Ralph and we'd probably be above them right now, so whilst our recruitment has hardly been great I don't think getting the guy who has overseen £350 million of spending to get 7 points above a team that has spent far far less and has been horribly managed, is a good idea.

Easy to mock in hindsight, all of the above we would have been getting excited about if we been in with a shout of signing them, just as we did with Gaston/Boufal/Hoedt. Just proves that no club has a 100% track record with transfers.

Recruitment link.

I was hoping we'd replace Ross Wilson this summer if not before - his track record at Saints hasn't exactly been good has it!?

Glover's track record at Everton and Sunderland isn't much better though.

I was hoping the rumours linking us to Julien Fournier from Nice were true - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6579583/Southampton-line-Nice-general-manager-Julien-Fournier-director-football.html - his track record at Nice is pretty good by anyone standards.

Both from the Daily Fail so who knows what is true and what is not.

I was hoping we'd replace Ross Wilson this summer if not before - his track record at Saints hasn't exactly been good has it!?

I find it hard to judge Ross Wilson at the moment. While he has been there during some shocking transfers, he has also been there while we have signed some decent players. Given that Reed and now Kruger have both lost their jobs, the part we will probably never know is where the blame should fall. Was Reed not signing the players that Wilson was keen on? Or was it Wilson pushing the shocking transfers. Given the change in management I would hope it's the former, but time will tell.

He also seemed to be one of the ones who pushed Saints towards Hasenhuttl.

I agree, Everton have had a worse recruitment record than us recently. They spent insane levels of money on players who don't even get game time anymore, whilst we have done similar, it's not been to their level of outlay.

They spent £30 on Sandro - failed. 25m on Morgan - failed. £20m on Theo - failed. Tuson - 25-30m - Failed. I mean, come on, if this bloke has been in charge of bringing in that lot, what on earth are we doing looking at him? Is he one of Ross's mates?

I agree, Everton have had a worse recruitment record than us recently. They spent insane levels of money on players who don't even get game time anymore, whilst we have done similar, it's not been to their level of outlay.

They spent £30 on Sandro - failed. 25m on Morgan - failed. £20m on Theo - failed. Tuson - 25-30m - Failed. I mean, come on, if this bloke has been in charge of bringing in that lot, what on earth are we doing looking at him? Is he one of Ross's mates?

I'm not sure where their structure puts him in the pecking order though. Gary Walsh must have had large input on those deals as well.

I'm not sure where their structure puts him in the pecking order though. Gary Walsh must have had large input on those deals as well.

Steve Walsh? the guy from Leicester? Yeah, he'd have had genuine input as well - probably more so. But it's hard to deny that this blokes hands have been all over one of the worst periods of recruitement in Evertons and Sunderlands historys.

Steve Walsh? the guy from Leicester? Yeah, he'd have had genuine input as well - probably more so. But it's hard to deny that this blokes hands have been all over one of the worst periods of recruitement in Evertons and Sunderlands historys.

Steve Walsh! That's it!

I've gone retro Man Utd reserve keeper with Gary Walsh :)

the year before they spend nearly £30 million on Bolasie.

Can't argue that the likes of Klassen were poor signings and as a result Glover's ability must be questioned, but Bolasie for £25m, was IMO a steal for a tremendous player and one we certainly could have done with. Not the fault of the scouts that he ruptured his cruciate.

Must be noted that it is hard to know who to blame with transfers as there tends to be a committee at clubs and the manager will have a major say.

Can't argue that the likes of Klassen were poor signings and as a result Glover's ability must be questioned, but Bolasie for £25m, was IMO a steal for a tremendous player and one we certainly could have done with. Not the fault of the scouts that he ruptured his cruciate.

Must be noted that it is hard to know who to blame with transfers as there tends to be a committee at clubs and the manager will have a major say.

Bolasie wasn’t exactly a secret though; he was already playing in the PL.

That’s no use to us as we won’t be signing any players with a track history in the PL, apart from the occasional jobber like Long / Austin / Romeu. We need someone who can sort the wheat from the chaff when it comes to overseas leagues and our lower leagues.

I'd take some of Evertons ambition. Recruitment less so.

They've spent alot, not always wisely.

Spent champagne money on lemonade players. Probably a bottom half prem squad quality wise just now which is poor considering the money spent.

Saying that, could our recruitment get much worse?

I'd take some of Evertons ambition. Recruitment less so.

They've spent alot, not always wisely.

Spent champagne money on lemonade players. Probably a bottom half prem squad quality wise just now which is poor considering the money spent.

Saying that, could our recruitment get much worse?

I'm sure people have been PM'ing you given your wealth of knowledge on Everton; but to what extent has Martyn Glover -rather than say Steve Walsh or RK- been responsible for their recruitment failures?

Track record at Everton is patchy to say the least with a lot of the 'big name' signings somewhat flopping. However, record when signing young up and coming players is slightly better perhaps with the people like Lookman and Calvert-Lewin and Gueye being signed for relatively small sums. As always these days though, it's hard to say who deserves credit and criticism for signings with the way clubs operate. Steve Walsh was binned off from Everton which suggests they lay the blame at his door for their poor record recently.

I'm sure people have been PM'ing you given your wealth of knowledge on Everton; but to what extent has Martyn Glover -rather than say Steve Walsh or RK- been responsible for their recruitment failures?

They should not be failure surely, we are forgetting the "Silva" factor...….. Look how it shone through against Fulham... :(

Edited by ALWAYS_SFC

Tbh mate I tend to only get flirty PMs from Always and/or the Mitchell brothers.

No idea the % blame at Everton but recruitment has been v poor.

Squad wise Talksport ranked them 12th or 13th (of memory) and given they are probably top 8 spenders last few years that says it all.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...