Thread: Glover as new head of recruitment?

Blog Entries

Default Glover as new head of recruitment?

Being reported in the Fail that we're in for him to support Wilson. Done a pretty poor job at Everton, and before that he was at now relegated Sunderland. Not inspired by this...

Martyn Glover in frame to become new Southampton head of recruitment https://mol.im/a/6934445 via http://dailym.ai/android

More or less confirmed by the Daily Echo this afternoon.

Ross Wilson to become head of football operations which he was more or less was doing anyway for the last 18months.

A reminder that at least three staff are involved in choosing players to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintsLoyal View Post
    More or less confirmed by the Daily Echo this afternoon.

Ross Wilson to become head of football operations which he was more or less was doing anyway for the last 18months.

A reminder that at least three staff are involved in choosing players to buy.
    So that's Wilson and Glover, two without a track record between them.

What about paul Mitchell? He was with Ralph before. I heard that Man U were holding out hope of appointing Pochettino and then Mitchell but that is clearly not gonna happen now.

What has Ross achieved to get a promotion like this? He should have been out of the door with Les, he's half the problem. His record is atrocious, he should not be making these sorts of calls or building a team around 'him'. He has wasted a fortune of money, which for a club like us, is like gold dust. He's flittered nearly £100m away on the likes of Elyounoussi, Boufal, Hoedt, Carrillo, Ings, Armstrong - and half of those have been shipped out on loan anyway.

Seemingly he's going to continue making the calls, so I doubt our recruitment is going to improve a great deal – unless Ralph puts his contacts into the hat and we bypass as much of Ross as we can, that's what I hope will happen!

Presumably also its Rosser that will end up having the biggest say on who is brought in, i.e Allardyce's pal Glover?

There isnt anyone ele remotely qualified in football at the club aside from the wee lad.

I suspect the manager is going to have more of a say in recruitment than previous.

Quote Originally Posted by S-Clarke View Post
    What has Ross achieved to get a promotion like this? He should have been out of the door with Les, he's half the problem. His record is atrocious, he should not be making these sorts of calls or building a team around 'him'. He has wasted a fortune of money, which for a club like us, is like gold dust. He's flittered nearly £100m away on the likes of Elyounoussi, Boufal, Hoedt, Carrillo, Ings, Armstrong - and half of those have been shipped out on loan anyway.

Seemingly he's going to continue making the calls, so I doubt our recruitment is going to improve a great deal Ė unless Ralph puts his contacts into the hat and we bypass as much of Ross as we can, that's what I hope will happen!
    I donít see the reason he is so highly rated by the club - either he was equally culpable in making insane decisions under the old duffer now at the FA or what else was he actually doing? Lesís carer?

The one glimmer of hope here is that RH isnít a weak yes man like the previous three, although I reckon Puel was only sacked when he challenged Les about Forster and other Les stalwarts he wanted to move on (allegedly according to some on this forum) and Les had a lucrative extension in mind instead for the big lump. I think everything weíve seen - including Hoedt shipped out straight away - suggests that if Ross brings him a player he doesnít want, they will be straight out on loan and RH will use the press in a way that Puel and Pellegrino werenít able to make that abundantly clear. Good upwards management at that level and will keep the club on its toes. RH holds the aces, Ross has no leverage in the situation, new title or not.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintsLoyal View Post
    I suspect the manager is going to have more of a say in recruitment than previous.
    Ditto. RH will say who he wants not just the type of player he needs.

Quote Originally Posted by S-Clarke View Post
    What has Ross achieved ......to get a promotion like this? He should have been out of the door with Les, he's half the problem. His record is atrocious, he should not be making these sorts of calls or building a team around 'him'. He has wasted a fortune of money, which for a club like us, is like gold dust. He's flittered nearly £100m away on the likes of Elyounoussi, Boufal, Hoedt, Carrillo, Ings, Armstrong - and half of those have been shipped out on loan anyway.

Seemingly he's going to continue making the calls, so I doubt our recruitment is going to improve a great deal – unless Ralph puts his contacts into the hat and we bypass as much of Ross as we can, that's what I hope will happen!
    I think the question could be left at the bit I've highlighted. I'm unaware and would welcome anyone identifying his achievements/track record for being brought to the club under Les's guidance in the first place. We were linked with the bloke at Norwich, and on reading about him he was involved in clubs who made progress under his watch. Ross Wilson was at Huddersfield and was linked with us in the press for about 18 months before he arrived. Interestingly their rise seemed to take off after he left.I don't think he was involved in bringing David Wagner to the club for example.

So what have either Wilson or this other character done to merit their roles at Saints? Genuinely interested.

Yes - hope Ralph can identify the players we need, and that we now have someone capable of securing the deals. Lets not have another summer of dither and bumbling.

It remains a massive worry, as a Ďbreak evení club our entire business is basically at the hands of this at best unproven bloke. We know he didnít get Ralph in, we do know his job was to recruit Hughes, Puel, Pelligrino, Carrillo, Moi, Boufal, Hoet etc. His responsibilities were also contract negotiations - so those thinking we have players on undeserving contracts should also worry, or if you think the Ings deal isnít great. That said you would say that Redmond, Hoijberg, Gunn and maybe Armstrong have looked solid buys.
    Personally I simply canít see how he has ended up in charge here - sadly I think weíll see a few more questionable buys and wasted tens of millions before heís replaced, just hope it doesnít do too much damage. Also after last window fiasco I canít see Ralph putting up with another poor window - heís too ambitious to allow that to tarnish his reputation, so hopefully heíll do Rossís job for him and leave him to sort the paperwork and make the tea.

Martyn Glover is being linked as Chief Scout, not had of recruitment.

13. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Nolan View Post
    The debate above is about Ross Wilson, who has become the head of recruitment/director of football type, when he doesn't even deserve to clean players boots.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nolan View Post
    Has Bear Grylls left?

Quote Originally Posted by VectisSaint View Post
    Has Bear Grylls left?
    underrated joke

I would have thought the scout at Brentford would have been a decent choice as they do seem to find some decent young players