Newcastle (A) Match Thread

St Chalet

Whether we are in a relegation scrap or not is not the issue. The issue is that, not for the first time this season, we go out on the pitch and are way off the pace from the first minute. We normally raise our level after half time but we start so sloppy. It's frustrating.

I am going to burst a blood vessel if someone doesn't sort out what we are doing from our corners. ****ing crazy how exposed we are. We have a team of midgets that never win headers ever so why are they in the box anyway. Leave every last one of them back on our half way line.

The shape is all wrong today - no back up right back and trying to shoehorn Ward-Prowse in somewhere has meant we have been caught out time and again. Put Stephens at right back, bring Lemina into an attacking midfield role. I'd like to see Sims given more time with a different set up but maybe Long on for him - Armstrong is another attacking possibility

I am going to burst a blood vessel if someone doesn't sort out what we are doing from our corners. ****ing crazy how exposed we are. We have a team of midgets that never win headers ever so why are they in the box anyway. Leave every last one of them back on our half way line.

Bizarrely it has been the same under 4 managers now.

Got to rethink these corners. They broke again from our corner.

It's getting to the stage where us winning a corner is a reason to be fearful of conceding. Ridiculous.

As for the match generally we have looked properly ****. Weak in the tackle, slow, giving the ball away easily. One of dem days I suppose.

We were due a stinker under Ralph at some point, not been one since Cardiff. We should see a reaction in the Watford and Bournemouth games. RH does not look happy. A few players might have earned a summer move they didn’t want e.g Jack. Not going to blame JWP as he isn’t a right wing back in a million years. However, PEH and Romeu awful and Yoshi distribution of a Sunday league player today. Sims not making a strong argument for a regular start and Ings off the pace, Redmond can’t do it all.

Get those alarm clocks ready boys, Easter Sunday extra training with RH nice and early and boy are they are going to suffer for this.

For me, double sub at half time;

Sims > Targett

Ings > Long

Switch to 5-3-2, Push Bertrand into LCB and Stephens to RB. Move Ward-Prowse into the Centre and hope that Long and Redmond running at Newcastle can create some chances.

We need to solidify or this could be 4 or 5, we aren't creating much anyway.

The underlying problem is they are giving us no room in midfield and we are not sharp enough to move it through the press.

Just about every Saints player has lost the ball at some point and on every occasion they move it forward very dangerously. They are a good team playing to a very effective plan.

Hojbjerg was too slow dealing with Yoshida's pass for the first goal. Stephens gave it away for the second then Bertrand should have done better covering.

Now we see what Ralph can do to shake it up. I feel we need Armstrong on. Until the last few minutes, would have said Sims to come off. Now probably JWP. Put Stephens at RB in a four with Romeu, Hojbjerg and Armstrong in midfield.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Sims > Targett

Ings > Long

Switch to 5-3-2, Push Bertrand into LCB and Stephens to RB. Move Ward-Prowse into the Centre and hope that Long and Redmond running at Newcastle can create some chances.

Agree

Sims > Targett

Ings > Long

Not a bad plan: we need a change. But it's not over. If we get the next goal, it's not over.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Not only leaving one player back, but that was JWP. Firstly, why wasn’t he taken the corners, and secondly why are we using one of the slowest players ever as that covering player?! It’s on a level of strangeness that makes me question the calibre of everyone involved.