Newcastle 3-1 Saints - Reaction

Lighthouse

Poor from us, the most Hughes like performance under Hasenhuttl. If you don't play with intensity then you just won't compete at PL level, especially away.

Key points:

1. Sims poor, doesn't do the basics well enough. For me not a starting player

2. JWP is poor at RB/RWB - not quick enough

3. Stephens is done

4. Lemina back the only positive - great goal and adds mobility

5. If Cardiff lose tomorrow then any points vs Bmth should keep us up. Want to get those points as soon as possible as it could get squeaky again otherwise.

Awful first half, superb second half. Wonderful to have Lemina back. We need him. Armstrong a much better bet than Sims based on what we saw today. We'll be fine. We played some sensational football second half. But we do need a top-class striker. And we do need better cover in defense. If we had two centre backs good enough for us to play 4-2-2-2 we'd be able to lock up midfield and maintain strong attack. That's the way I hope we go this summer. A bit of work to do before then. But we'll get it done.

Matches like this are still very instructive for Ralph as he works through what needs to change to get us into mid-table or better in the Premier League next season.

Problem is some play well some games and other times don’t. Everyone championing Sims recently and then plays sh1te today. Armstrong looks just what we need many times then anonymous.

Obviously need consistency and hard to know who of the current crop gives us that.

Utter pathetic trolling b0llocks.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I think if you speak to Trousers (once he gets back from the game), he'll confirm there are no trolls here.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Nothing more than a bad day at the office which Ralph will sort out. The match thread, pure comedy gold.

Is it comedy to see Saints fans frustrated at a poor performance? Not sure it's that funny really. If you're referring to the folks saying we're doomed and going down, they're here only to wind you up. Ignore them.

Damage done in the first half, but a much, much better second stanza. Lemina particularly and Armstrong added intensity and run. Redmond's second half was very good. Surely we have seen the last of Stephens - he was awful. Felt sorry for Sims - the intensity Newcastle played with overwhelmed him and having JWP behind him at RB meant the right side was very vulnerable. I know I'm a serial JWP critic - but even if he was played out of position today - what has to happen for him to be dropped or at least subbed? That's four very ordinary games in a row.

We were poor on the first half and struggled against a team pressing and giving us no time. In that scenario Sims didn't perform and JWP isn't a RB.

The positives are that Ralph made the right changes at HT. Armstrong is a much more solid, experienced complete player than Sims and we needed another body in midfield. And secondly, until their third which was a combination if a weak defensive header (should have put it out) and a lucky defection, we looked like getting a draw. We made chances. Yoshida could have had a hat trick.

Watford will be tough too, but they have less to play for. Also hope Valery and Vestergaard are back.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Edited by Shroppie

Damage done in the first half, but a much, much better second stanza. Lemina particularly and Armstrong added intensity and run. Redmond's second half was very good. Surely we have seen the last of Stephens - he was awful. Felt sorry for Sims - the intensity Newcastle played with overwhelmed him and having JWP behind him at RB meant the right side was very vulnerable. I know I'm a serial JWP critic - but even if he was played out of position today - what has to happen for him to be dropped or at least subbed? That's four very ordinary games in a row.

Can’t blame JWP today, never a right wing back. Agree on Jack sadly - not sure whether he is a RB, CB - definitely not that at top level - or a DMC. Jack of all trades but master of none, worrying in his mid 20s. Needs to drop a level and find himself. I think that goes for a few of the squad tbh.

We were due a stinker under RH, Cardiff was the last one, and there haven’t been many.

Enormous transfer window coming up - pace and power needed right through the spine and Glover/Wilson have some serious offloading duties to do from June to end of August.

The Bournemouth match is key for us to get necessary points, hopefully no shocks tomorrow Cardiff v Liverpool as then Cardiff have 2 winnable matches.

I expect the Watford game to go much like today's and after Bournemouth we have a difficult West Ham away. We don't want to go into a nervy Huddersfield game having to get a point or three, while Cardiff go for it at home against United.

I'm an 'until it's mathematically impossible type' person, unfortunately.

I never like losing. Even to much better teams but Newcastle are not a good side. We were so ordinary we made them look awesome. We are not going down. Our second half showed we do have the capability and on another day the Magpies would be the ones who didn't get the luck. Move on.

And hes ****e. Sums up our CBs.

You are so depressingly negative about everything Saints that Most people must wonder why you bother to come on here at all.

We lost a game, we can't win them all. Get over it. One or two players let us down badly today when Ralph had put his trust in them, it happens. We're already safe anyway so why worry ... be Happy!

From about 500 feet above the pitch in the away section the first half was pretty grim. Two poor goals to concede, and we just didn’t look much up for it. Was the ball out of play on half way before they scored their second - haven’t seen the replays but it should never have got to Perez anyway.

Ball was defo out before Gunn made his wonder save and after we scored I thought we’d get back to 2-2. Much better performance second half and good to see Mario back.

JWP did his best but isn’t a wing back, we need to sign another CB in the summer, and Danny Ings needs a goal.

Long journey home. Roll on Watford.