Watford v Saints - Build-up

SuperSAINT

It'll be a tough game. They are a big, physical side and too many refs let them get away with it.

Probably not a game for Sims to start. We could do with Vestergaard and Valery back and it sounds as if there's a good chance with both. Armstrong and Lemina both have strong cases to start but there's not room for them and JWP. At least they are still without Deeney.

Could be a game to park the bus and look to hit them on the break. In which case, Long comes into the equation.

I'd consider

Gunn

Valery (or Ramsey. Be bold) Yoshida Vestergaard (or no-one) Bednarek Bertrand

Hojbjerg Romeu

JWP Long Redmond

Subs: McCarthy (Forster), Armstrong, Ings, Lemina, Stephens, Sims, Targett

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Tough game.

Only hope is they are thinking about an up coming Cup final and ease off a bit?

You are right. If they didn't have the Cup Final in their sights we wouldn't stand a chance. They would thrash us. Probably 9 nil. Or maybe 12 nil. Maybe we wouldn't bother turning up as they would get a 3 nil win allocated by the Premier League which would be better for our goal difference. As CB would say "Jesus wept!"

I think that some of our fans need to grow a pair. Thank God this forum wasn't around for the relegation battles of the '90's when we really were c rap

On the basis that Vestergaard is still out, I'd start with the 4-2-2-2 that we finished the game with yesterday. We looked a lot more solid in the centre of the park and less shaky at the back. Romeu had a shocker and it's a close call between Ings and Long upfront as Ings was pretty terrible yesterday and Long has actually looked half decent in recent games.

Gunn

Valery

Bednarek

Yoshida

Bertrand

Hojbjerg

Lemina

Armstrong

JWP

Redmond

Ings

Subs:

Forster

Stephens

Ramsey

Romeu

Sims

Long

Austin

What? They play wonderful football at times and deserve to be fighting for 7th. After yesterday's non-show humiliation can only see one result here.

Presumably this also applies to Palace, Cardiff, Bournemouth and Fulham, who will all replicate this weekends form in their remaining games?

Edited by Lighthouse

We've only mustered 36 points in consecutive seasons - there's no "suddenly" about it.

We’d also won 4 out of 6 before this weekend and the 2 we didn’t were Liverpool and a narrow, probably underserved, loss at OT. Performances under other managers aren’t relevant now, under Ralph were a mid table team.

On the basis that Vestergaard is still out, I'd start with the 4-2-2-2 that we finished the game with yesterday. We looked a lot more solid in the centre of the park and less shaky at the back. Romeu had a shocker and it's a close call between Ings and Long upfront as Ings was pretty terrible yesterday and Long has actually looked half decent in recent games.

Gunn

Valery

Bednarek

Yoshida

Bertrand

Hojbjerg

Lemina

Armstrong

JWP

Redmond

Ings

Subs:

Forster

Stephens

Ramsey

Romeu

Sims

Long

Austin

Not a bad call....I think I’d have Romeu in for Armstrong sitting in the defensive pairing with Hojbjerg and Lemieux slightly further forward with JWP. Only reason for this is I think it gives us more muscle.......1-1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not a bad call....I think I’d have Romeu in for Armstrong sitting in the defensive pairing with Hojbjerg and Lemieux slightly further forward with JWP. Only reason for this is I think it gives us more muscle.......1-1

That should read Lemina......bloody predictive text

Unfortunately the table doesn’t lie and they are a better team than us. Deeney out will swing it slightly for us, but probably not enough. As said above, they are a brutish horrible side and at home the Ref will give them all the calls. Need to maximise our strength in midfield with Hojberg, Lemina and Armstrong...Romeu on for Armstrong later for more bite if necessary. Whether Long or Ings...not sure...it’s going to be a hard slog all day for us up top.

Result? 3-1 loss.

Gunn

Valery Bednarek Yoshida Vestegaard Bertrand

JWP Romeu PEH Redmond

Long

This is my prediction for what Ralph will play.

Personally I would prefer a 4231, with Sims and Redmond on the wings, Armstrong in the hole, and Ings/Long up top- don't want to risk Ings if it will screw him over for game against Bournemouth.

In terms of centrebacks, then definitely drop Stephens, and I'd probably start Yoshida with Bednarek tbh, haven't really liked Vestergaard in a back 4.

I am really looking forward to this one, as I do with all London away games, if you classify Watford in London that is.

We need to rectify the last two injustices we have had against Watford- we had the Austin goal disallowed start of this season, and this fixture last season they had the handball.

So, 1-0 Saints. Redmond to score.

Armstrong is essential for this game IMO. As others have pointed out, Watford are going to be very physical and his time in Scotland will help with this. Also, they're solid defensively and he's about the only player who can play a defence splitting pass against these teams.

F*ck me, we lose one game and suddenly we’re a terrible team?

Hopefully we will have at least one of Valery and Vestergaard back. If we can move JWP into midfield it should make us a bit more solid. Keep it tight for the first hour or so (unlike yesterday) then see if we can snatch something.

We've been a terrible team for about 3 years now. We just have a manager who's currently making us look better than we are. Please don't tell me you buy into this "With the players we have, we shouldn't be down here" crap?

Gunn

Valery

Vest

Yoshida

Bertrand

Rom

Hoj

Lemina

Armstrong

Ings

Redmond

I would play this with maybe Bednarek in for Yoshida.

Having said that Yoshida makes some decent runs forward and as we’ve seen contributes to some real opportunities.

One has to go in one of these days!

With Valery and Vestergaard sounding unlikely to make it, I'd go with:

Gunn

Ramsey

Bednarek

Yoshi

Bertrand

Hoj

Romeu

Lemina

Redmond

Armstrong

Long

Save JWP and Ings for Bournemouth. Lemina and Armstrong did enough 2nd half on Saturday to warrant a start here.

We'll need both muscle and tenacity for this one. They really are a very physical side. However, they can be beaten and I sincerely hope Mike Dean doesn't play as their twelf man. So many times we have been let down by bad/favourite decisions. I'll accept a draw but a win would make me happy.

Although going down is highly unlikely, 1 more point would be vital (from our remaining games) and tonight would be a good time to get it.

That would put us 6 points clear of Cardiff with a vastly superior goal difference.

They would then need to win 2 of their 3 games and then needing at least a point in the other.

That is on the basis we only gain 1 more points from the last 4 games.....you never know