Watford v Saints - Build-up

SuperSAINT

Errant thought : notwithstanding Ralph's comments over the weekend, do you think he should give Austin a go, fight fire with fire, rough up their CBs??

Why are people portraying Watford as this big, bully boy, rough them up kind of team?

They're anything but. They play great football, use the width of the pitch well and attack with purpose between the lines. They've got a focal point with Denney and a strong CB with Cathcart, but they're not this 'new Wimbledon' I've seen them referred to as.

Errant thought : notwithstanding Ralph's comments over the weekend, do you think he should give Austin a go, fight fire with fire, rough up their CBs??

In a word no! He has been terrible this year and is like a statue. His time is done.

Any positive result tonight sets Saturday up quite nicely with the incentive to finish the job and also give us the opportunity to finish the season top dogs on the south coast. That didn't look very likely a few weeks back.

A few early robust challenges tonight to remind them they've got a cup final coming up may help the cause.

Heading down later, looking forward to this. Would be lovely to get the 3 points and all but guarantee safety. Still think a point could well be enough, and I'd certainly like to get it done sooner rather than later.

Bit of a selection headache for Ralph as Armstrong and Lemina both looked good when they came on. Could be tempted to go for 4 at the back if Vestergaard isn't fit.

id quite like to see a 433 with lemina hojbjerg and Armstrong together. all have the energy to get up and down, then a front three of Redmond ings and sims.

a bit harsh on jwp and romeau. but I could see this working quite well whilst also not being over run in midfield and whilst also giving plenty of options to attack

id quite like to see a 433 with lemina hojbjerg and Armstrong together. all have the energy to get up and down, then a front three of Redmond ings and sims.

a bit harsh on jwp and romeau. but I could see this working quite well whilst also not being over run in midfield and whilst also giving plenty of options to attack

Will be amazed if Ings or Sims start, albeit for different reasons.

Is it controversial to say JWP has reverted to type the last few games after an uncharacteristic bit of good form?

Nah I'm with you on that. It was great to see him play well but I still don't think he gets into our best team right now if everyone's fit, let alone next season with hopeful reinforcements.

Is it controversial to say JWP has reverted to type the last few games after an uncharacteristic bit of good form?

I think the last few games he's been played in positions which show up his weaknesses - a lack of pace and a lack of physical strength. So, I think reverted to type is a bit harsh as he’s not playing in the position he was starting to get to grips with.

Played further forward, he was actually becoming quite adept at being one of the first points of the press, by winning a tackle and playing a pass with a good weight. But further back in the team he gets exposed a lot more.

He's got better in certain area's under Ralph as he's a tactical managers sort of player, but for me he's not yet at a level where you'll have the likes of Man City and all swooning over him. The goals in his recent games have just added marks to his performances.

I think the last few games he's been played in positions which show up his weaknesses - a lack of pace and a lack of physical strength. So, I think reverted to type is a bit harsh as he’s not playing in the position he was starting to get to grips with.

Played further forward, he was actually becoming quite adept at being one of the first points of the press, by winning a tackle and playing a pass with a good weight. But further back in the team he gets exposed a lot more.

He's got better in certain area's under Ralph as he's a tactical managers sort of player, but for me he's not yet at a level where you'll have the likes of Man City and all swooning over him. The goals in his recent games have just added marks to his performances.

Yeah I agree, its not really his fault as he has been shoe horned into different positions of late. Having said that the option to revert to type has always been there with JWP, hopefully Ralph has more about him than to let that happen again.

He's slipped backwards imo. I'd take a fit and firing Lemina over JWP all day long.

To the Players:

Step up to the plate lads it is really important you deliver tonight. I know few of you are looking for a transfer to Watford but let's have a top six opponent mentality just for the fans for once.

really? who is?

Although going down is highly unlikely, 1 more point would be vital (from our remaining games) and tonight would be a good time to get it.

That would put us 6 points clear of Cardiff with a vastly superior goal difference.

They would then need to win 2 of their 3 games and then needing at least a point in the other.

That is on the basis we only gain 1 more points from the last 4 games.....you never know

Been after that elusive 1 point since and including the Liverpool game so, would be nice to get it tonight.

if we play 3/5 at the back, we will probably struggle.

when we play like that, we find it hard against compact sides who dominate the middle of the pitch and watford are probably the best at that.

Also, take JwP out of where he is decent to a place where he is not.

Ward-Prowse at RWB again and two right backs on the bench. Absolutely bizarre.

Hope Ralph has a cunning plan up his sleeve, because that XI looks suspiciously like one picked by a manager who watched the Newcastle debacle and learned not a single thing.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Not sure what to think about that. Pleased to see Armstrong and I'm assuming Ings, Lemina and Valery are not quite there in terms of fitness. Ramsay didn't look ready in the brief glimpses I've seen of him.

The main thing for me is that he has dropped Sims. As good as he has looked personally, we have been swamped as a team whenever he has been playing. He has played exactly half of the last 3 games and we've conceded 5 of the 7 goals when he was on the pitch. Not what you need away from home.

Hope I'm wrong but it looks like 3 at the back with JWP as a wing back a position he is obviously not suited to as it requires pace to get up and down the line and the ability to tackle.

if we start with the same setup as Newcastle, it would be very weird considering how appalling the 1st half display was