Watford vs Saints - Match Thread

Hamilton Saint

Great first half, we've clearly been working on the 3 at the back formation. JWP and Redmond have both been excellent on the right, Long's finish was great and we've been unlucky not to get another 2 or 3.

I don't think Armstrong has been great, he always looks so shakey in our own half. Suspect we will rue our missed chances (Watford always seem to pull something out of their backside - or the ref's) but hopefully we can get at least a point.

He might be a crap striker most times, but of late Long is really on a run of form. But no matter how he does from now on, his name is potentially in the Football history books for that fastest goal, which is going to be as hard to beat for speed as Mane's hat trick. I was worried about the speed that Watford almost equalised and it looked for a short while that they might carve us open with the speed of their attacks. But we settled into the match fast and have been playing some very neat football, creating more chances to score. Armstrong has been immense, Ward-Prowse better at RB than at Newcastle, with Bednarek backing him up. We have been very disciplined and kept possession well.

Just an observation; when the ball came off Yoshida's arm in the box, had the ball gone in, the goal should have stood. It stood when Watford do it at St Mary's, so it should stick there too.

As a cup half full (normally) person I hate to get to half time and concentrate on the negatives, but "we will regret not taking those chances" is fresh on my mind. Still, if you'd have offered 1-0 at half time, I'd have torn your arm off.

Respect the point, if that's what it comes to - and we could use Spurs winning too!