Watford 1-1 Saints - Reaction

Lighthouse

Would have taken the point before the game but naturally disappointed to only end up with 1 point and not 3 after leading for that long, especially with the chances we spurned.

How many points is that now we’ve conceded from winning/drawing positions?

We've dropped 24 points from winning positions

I'm putting this second half of the season to Ralph doing the best he can with what he has. At least it gives him a good grounding in the PL. His record still isn't too bad.

Who knows what Brighton are going to do with their remaining games. Newcastle (H), Arsenal (A), Man City (H). 3 points behind us -5 GD on us. I cannot in all honesty see them overtaking us. Cardiff need to win 2 and draw 1 at the very minimum given they have a -18 GD on us. Fulham (A), Palace (H), Man U (A). I guess they could catch us if we don't get another win, but somehow I would be surprised if they get anything from Man U. Fulham players are in the shop window, and Palace are in a purple patch.

Entertaining game. Would've taken a point beforehand.

Drive, bite and energy throughout. Pleasing stuff.

If we can bring in a CB and ST who are a clear step up on our current lot then we could be looking at top 8 next season.

At this point of the season all that really matters is picking up points and the way this season has gone a point away to Watford is a decent point but......why can't we hold on to a ****ing lead!!! Have to say I think the Subs killed us tonight instead of giving us renewed momentum they seem to take it from us Sims wasn't an improvement on Armstrong tonight, Romeu was having a great game and Lemina isn't the same sort of player (if he replaces anyone it should be Hoj) and Valery for Long really hurt us (Long had rolled back the years tonight and given a vintage Shane display) the obvious replacement was Ings to keep the pressure up on the Watford back line rather than a defender.

Super frustrating but a good performance by the lads, certainly better than at the weekend. They have to find a way to keep these clean sheets next season and we'll be fighting for top 10.

Long again proves his worth - he is tireless; such a pity he's had such barren spells.

Good shape found by RH, just not 100% convinced by the subs... again we give the impetus to the competition by taking off our outlet and this team struggles .

A point does us OK and should be enough ... but it's been a long season and looking forward to the end of it ... 2 years of struggle doesn't do well of the old ticker.

COYS...

I'm putting this second half of the season to Ralph doing the best he can with what he has. At least it gives him a good grounding in the PL. His record still isn't too bad.

Who knows what Brighton are going to do with their remaining games. Newcastle (H), Arsenal (A), Man City (H). 3 points behind us -5 GD on us. I can in all honesty see them overtaking us. Cardiff need to win 2 and draw 1 at the very minimum given they have a -18 GD on us. Fulham (A), Palace (H), Man U (A). I guess they could catch us if we don't get another win, but somehow I would be surprised if they get anything from Man U. Fulham players are in the shop window, and Palace are in a purple patch.

Have you seen Brighton recently? They couldn’t score in a penalty shootout at the moment.

Never get anything against Watford. Ever.

Horrible sh1thouse team who are incredibly limited without ‘Mr refreshing honesty from...’ Troy Deeney: ergo frog-faces fat bully boy.

Irrespective, we only have ourselves to blame for not seeing the game out but fkkk me, Watford are sh1t. They’ll struggle next year, guaranteed. They’re not just on the beach, they’re genuinely cr4p. Horrible, niggly, limited and dull.

We’ll be ok. We’ve done magnificent really, with a patched up team of youth, ostracised pros and has-beens. Would love to see how we recruit in the summer and more importantly, if we can get rid of the cr4p like Forster, Hoedt etc.

Not so sure about that, every year I think Watford are going to struggle and they always do ok! They seem to be quite an 'effective' team, a slightly more refined version of Burnley.

What it does show though is how closely matched much of the league is, without a huge amount of genuine quality. Although I don't think Watford will necessarily struggle, there's no reason to think we shouldn't be able to do better than them.

Typical Saints. Always making things more difficult that they should be. Still not convinced we're safe. Brighton battled hard tonight and I can see them getting a result against Newcastle. Sane for Cardiff against Fulham.

I'd love us to win on Saturday and it all be done and dusted. My gut feeling us that it's going to the final day. Imagine Liverpool are already champions & City field a weakened side against Brighton. Utd could also have nothing to play for so maybe a shock result for Cardiff.

Please Saints. Just finish the job at the weekend.

We'd have all settled for a point before the game but, **** me, how many times do we throw away 3 points near the death?
no kidding.

2 more points lost from a winning position. we must be leading the league in that statistic.

and yes, was thinking a point today would be a positive. Helps that Brighton didn't pick up any points either

(the odds that both Brighton and Cardiff earn 38 points or more and we stick at 37 points must be very very low)

Our subs ruined the game. .

Lemina for Romeu, who was tempting fate having been booked in the first half, then Valery for an injured Long, to strengthen the defence and try to protect the lead, and also allowing JWP to move further forward..

Who knows what Brighton are going to do with their remaining games. Newcastle (H), Arsenal (A), Man City (H). 3 points behind us -5 GD on us. I cannot in all honesty see them overtaking us. Cardiff need to win 2 and draw 1 at the very minimum given they have a -18 GD on us. Fulham (A), Palace (H), Man U (A). I guess they could catch us if we don't get another win, but somehow I would be surprised if they get anything from Man U. Fulham players are in the shop window, and Palace are in a purple patch.

Brighton's form is terrible right now - last 6 games, lost 5 and drawn 1. Can't see them getting more than 3 points out of their last 3 games. Can see us getting at least 3 points from our last 3 games - that keeps them below us.

After Wolves I thought we needed another point. Obviously it's not quite as relaxed as if we'd hung on for 3 points today, but the fact that Cardiff need 7 points AND Brighton need 3 (or probably 4) points all while we fail to pick up anything at all means that point today was massive.

Edited by mrfahaji

After Wolves I thought we needed another point. Obviously it's not quite as relaxed as if we'd hung on for 3 points today, but the fact that Cardiff need 7 points AND Brighton need 3 points all while we fail to pick up anything at all means that point today was massive.

I think Brighton need 4 more than us when taking GD into account.

Lemina for Romeu, who was tempting fate having been booked in the first half, then Valery for an injured Long, to strengthen the defence and try to protect the lead, and also allowing JWP to move further forward..

Lemina was fine. Valery's delivery was poor. But bringing off Long took away that pressure on the Watford defence, Redmond did nothing on his own. Their defenders were delighted and it invited the pressure onto us. Sims gave the ball away when we desperately needed him to keep hold of the ball.

Edited by niceandfriendly

A point we all would have taken before the game and its another on the way to safety - which was the only priority when RH came in.

Games like this show two things:

1. You need to score the second goal

2. We don't really have good sub options for various scenarios - this aspect should improve next season.

Nearly there...

That is a terrible stat and proof we lack nous, staying power, and plain old ******. Still, we're not going down and I'd back Ralph to sort the problems out ASSUMING he is given reasonable £ backing.

Overall despite the last gasp goal by Watford it was an excellent performance, Hol/JWP were superb, Stephens played much better as well. Yoshida was a rock at the back and Long/Redmond worked very hard.

Watford are a side that have shown they keep going and i felt we tired down the final stretch, i don't think Sims had the desired effect when he came on as he was a little weak, and Valery could have done better with his final ball after some good play.

Overall MOTM is Ward Prowse, he kept closing and kept Pererya quiet and defended well, good balls into the box his decision making was excellent throughout.

One thing i noticed is that when we drive at teams we're dangerous, especially when Holjberg does it. That's one thing we lack at times, the fact we rely far too much on Redmond.

Bertrand had a poor game with poor delivery into the box.

Frustrating, but Watford were always going to have a moment. They had a moment, we withheld for a bit, but they kept going and that's what happens.

I don't think we looked 13 points apart in terms of quality, so plenty to be positive for next season as we are so much better than we have been for a good couple of years at least.

Get the last few weeks out of the way and start building. We can probably start work on some targets now to be honest, probably already have. Need to have much more mental strength through the spine.

Under the circumstances I’d say it’s somewhat miraculous.

It was one of our best performances of the season. For most of the match we were the dominant team and had several chances to have won the match, but again without the deadly finishing. The table doesn't lie and Watford have been a very good team this year, as have Wolves, who we beat recenty. It seemed to me that instead of Watford improving in the second half, their tactical switch to match up our back three didn't suit their players, and taking Cathcart off left them with less height to defend corners and set pieces. His mind wasn't right having conceded the early goal to Long and he looked nervous there after.

I think that apart from obviously setting the team out to stifle Watford's play, Hasenhuttl also got the substitutions right too. It was a pity that Long went off with a knock, as he had made a nuisance of himself throughout. But he was probably tiring and Sims was a good substitute with his pace and fresh legs. Lemina for Romeu also made sense with Romeu's card and Armstrong with Valery was also sound. Good to see Valery back, as although he had done well, Ward-Prowse isn't really a full back. Valery on allowed Ward-Prowse to move up field and he played like a man possessed, one of his best games.

The defence was solid and Gunn didn't have much to do, but made a couple of outstanding saves. There was a spell in the early part of the second half where we played some outstanding possession football, and Watford were chasing shadows trying to get to the ball. Redmond was a handful for their defence, but had a couple of chances where a quicker reaction could have produced a goal, either from an early shot, or a pass to a player alone in space.

Disappointing to have conceded the equaliser in the last minute like that, but an incredible effort to have not only held our own for 90 minutes, but also to have the best chances to have put the game beyond Watford. Right at the end, their defender should have been red carded for a second yellow when he fouled Redmond, but Mike Dean bottled it having been about to blow the whistle for the foul. That might possibly have given us the advantage to score the winner, but hey ho, such is home advantage with weak referees.

As I said in the match thread, no matter that Long is not the best striker, although all of a sudden he has a purple patch of form from out of the blue, he has written his name into Premier League history books with the fastest goal of all time. This is no more likely to be beaten any sooner than Mane's fastest hat trick in PL history. It is nice to have two entries by Saints players on that list of superlatives.

Ings would have been a fine replacement for Long. Ings presses and puts defences under pressure something we lost with the introduction of Valery

Can't agree. The change was logical and tightened us up, pushing JWP further up. Redmond offered pace up front. Sensible change for me.

Which obviously is a terrible stat, but to put a positive spin on it (and why i’ve always maintained we do have quality in this squad even during Hughes’ tenure), that’s a hell of a lot of times we’ve taken the lead in games. **** players don’t go ahead against teams as regularly as that. There’s a fragility that needs serious work, rather than quality imo.

some half decent stuff from us at times, but defensively we look ragged as soon as the midfield legs started to go. We seem to lose our shape and struggle to retain possession for extended periods towards the end of games. Watford pushed brilliantly for the equaliser, throwing everything at us, but time after time we just cant see games out. It's not easy to pinpoint the reason for that, but I actually think we are terrible defensively and this is covered up by the workrate of our midfield. When they get tired, gaps open, defenders face one on ones and our frailties at the back are exposed. Players also panic hacking it anywhere. When we do pick a man out we don't then manage to keep it. Forwards make poor decisions, try to do to much or don't get support from tired midfielders.

Not easy to solve. Better quality players that retain the ball better throughout the game, this means less chasing from midfielders, who then are less tired, leave defenders less exposed towards the end of games and then hopefully it much harder for opponents to build pressure and create chances near the death.

25 points dropped from winning positions this season, 13 of which has been under RH which is surprising. Thought under Hughes would have been more
Probably an indication of how Hughes played a lower risk game where the first aim was a draw and a win was a bonus. RH's approach is more gung-ho where the primary aim is to win with the draw as a fall back position. Once he's moulded the squad to fit his system I suspect we'll start to preserve winning positions more than we have under him this season. IMHO of course.