Watford 1-1 Saints - Reaction

Lighthouse

I hope we would be seriously interested in getting Dunk if Brighton went down. Solid, has heart, and could provide a good partner for Vest or Yoshi with Stephens shipped out.

Come off it. Yoshida, Vestergaard and Bednarek as three CBs competing for a place and a new signing as first choice is what we need. Dunk is no better than those three.

I wonder if we also hold the record to be in the lead for the longest amount of time without winning the game?
Probably. We were leading for over 90 minutes of actual playing time, including added time at HT.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I hope we would be seriously interested in getting Dunk if Brighton went down. Solid, has heart, and could provide a good partner for Vest or Yoshi with Stephens shipped out.

We have already exhausted our supply of slow cumbersome centre halves, thanks.

Dunk and Duffy are getting praise now because Hughton's decided to go back to boring the living **** out of everybody in order to try to get the 0-0 draws they think will keep them in the league this season, and plonked all 5 midfielders directly in front of them, so all they'd have to do is head crosses away. It was only a week ago when they'd been torn a new arsehole in consecutive home games by us, Bournemouth and Cardiff.

Defenders who have high "throwing yourself in harm's way" and tackling stats aren't good defenders. They only make those challenges because they were so far out of position in the first place. That's why the likes of (ugh) van Dijk are so good, because they read the game so well and are always in the right place to intercept rather than rely on desperation.

Some pretty damning statistics which may shape some of Ralph's priorities over the summer:

25 points dropped from winning positions this season (by contrast, we have earned 4 points from losing positions - Palace and Spurs at home)

14 goals conceded in the last 10 minutes of games (5 goals scored)

15 points dropped as a direct result of those late goals (4 points earned, Arsenal and Spurs at home)

You're never going to be able to completely eradicate those stats, because there's always another team on the pitch, but if we can halve those numbers (rounding down for argument's sake), 12 extra points would see us 9th in terms of the raw numbers, and possibly higher because 4 of the 25 have been dropped against Watford in 7th.

Dunk and Duffy are getting praise now because Hughton's decided to go back to boring the living **** out of everybody in order to try to get the 0-0 draws they think will keep them in the league this season, and plonked all 5 midfielders directly in front of them, so all they'd have to do is head crosses away. It was only a week ago when they'd been torn a new arsehole in consecutive home games by us, Bournemouth and Cardiff.

Defenders who have high "throwing yourself in harm's way" and tackling stats aren't good defenders. They only make those challenges because they were so far out of position in the first place. That's why the likes of (ugh) van Dijk are so good, because they read the game so well and are always in the right place to intercept rather than rely on desperation.

Fair points. I've always thought Dunk a bit better than that, though, and might be a cheapish pick up, but hey. no worries.

that's a bit harsh Steve. Last ditch defending is not always due to them being out of position, but perhaps due to others not doing their job or a brilliant piece of play.

I think Leicesters back 2 pairing when they won the PL were of similar ilk. Yes its nice to have silky centre backs but sometimes its reassuring to see a centre back hump the ball and forward into the stands

i was really disappointed to see Romeu taken off last night. A few around me were calling for him to replaced because he was on a card. My view was that without his bite we would lose the midfield an ultimately the lead which i looked the correct call unfortunately. As far as I can recall OR has never had a red card for saints and been booked dozens of times.

Really enjoyed last night, thought the away end was as good as it's been in a while. Good game too, real shame we let it slip right at the end (as per) but I think most have agreed that we'd have taken a point before the game and it still feels like a pretty good one all things considered.

Watford were a pretty good side, moved the ball well and Doucore looks very decent. If he's there this time next year I'll be very surprised.

Pretty much safe now and plenty to look forward to next season, especially if we have a half decent window.

Somewhat highlighted by the fact that Mustafi has higher interceptions, tackles and blocks I think this season than Van Dijk.

But its also a lot down to how the team plays in front of them, Dunk and Duffy have to a hell of a lot more work than Van Dijk does most of the time, even if Brighton are negative they still have a lot less of the ball on average than pool and their midfielders will lose it a lot more in dangerous areas than Liverpool's will, so they are under much more constant pressure.

I think both have shown they are good defenders, if albeit fairly limited ones, but I'd also argue they are probably better than the sum of their parts and are good because they have a good partnership and understanding.

Also I seem to remember John Terry used to block and get in the way of a lot of stuff, and he was world class. Van Dijk is an amazing defender no doubt, but he is prone to lapses in concentration still and he also has the pace to recover, which often covers for his lapses, so whilst other defenders might need to do a last ditch tackle or block, Van Dijks pace probably bailed him out earlier.

I don't think 1 Dunk has enough ability on the ball for our team and 2. He's probably IMO worse than Vestergaard, who I think has got better and better with experience in the league.

Thought Stephens had a good game but i’m sure someone will blame him for the equaliser. Yoshida good as well. Prowsey very good. Lemina nice and tidy when he came on as always and two absolutely top drawer saves from Gunn. Not sure why people are criticising Valery coming on, did some good bits defensively and allowed JWP to be further forward where he was very good. Plus, Ings would’ve done **** all like normal apart from give the ball away.

Just think were buying Ings next season...........wow.........and how much of that season will he miss?.........totally ludicrious spending on an injury prone forward why?

Relegation is almost a miracle for me. The player-roster is very week. What a difficult job for my old friend Ralph. An urgent need to invest for the coming season. Would buy some players from RB Salzburg instead of Ralph. Sorry, Southampton. Sorry für the openness.

Relegation is almost a miracle for me. The player-roster is very week. What a difficult job for my old friend Ralph. An urgent need to invest for the coming season. Would buy some players from RB Salzburg instead of Ralph. Sorry, Southampton. Sorry für the openness.

No need to apologise Vienna07 pal the job Ralph has done and the (avoidance of) relegation he has achieved is pretty ****ing miraculous tbh particularly given he had zero financial backing.

No need to apologise Vienna07 pal the job Ralph has done and the (avoidance of) relegation he has achieved is pretty ****ing miraculous tbh particularly given he had zero financial backing.

Did you know what Vienna was saying? I read it twice and am still none the wiser :D

Who do you recmmend ? Austrian midfielder - Wolf ? - is meant to be agood prospect from a report I saw earlier in the season.

Don't suppose Salzburg would like to take any of Elynoussi, Hoedt, or Bouffal in part exchange would they ?

Google translated it:

"Avoiding relegation this season is virtually a miracle in my opinion. The players are ****. My old pal Ralph has done a great job. Southampton need to urgently invest in some new players and I would suggest they buy some players from RB Salzburg on the advice of Ralph. Sorry for being so frank Southampton, but you gotta be told"

I totally understand what you say there Vienna and is spot on. Please excuse the lack of class of other posters who couldn't write a paragraph in a second language. Good to get more insight from your perspective

I totally understand what you say there Vienna and is spot on. Please excuse the lack of class of other posters who couldn't write a paragraph in a second language. Good to get more insight from your perspective

Facepalm. Anyone know the Austrian for persiflage?

Ultravox? One for the over 50s...sadly.

Sheer class - cannot believe Joe Dolce with 'Shadduppa your face' kept that classic from #1. Loved Ultravox and remember Billy Currie creating a fracas in the pool at the old Polygon hotel.

Great times