Non-Saints Games

whelk

What a joke.
To be fair we've been pretty average all game. Got a pen from their mistake, but after that, have we worked their goalkeeper, I don't think so.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Bloody awful. Had a fair amount of the ball, but showed no intent whatsoever. That was crap. You cannot play an international match camped in your own half and expect to win.

Can somebody also point out to the players that when you are losing you need to show a sense of urgency, not continue to play as though you're three goals to the good.

God we we're shyte, glorious semi final defeat again.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

All good will from the World Cup gone from me now, that was utterly abject and the worst England performance since Iceland in 2016 (cant see that ever being beaten).

Starts at the top, Southgate picked an absolute dog of a starting line up.

But Stones should never EVER play for England again, I know Maguire had a poor game but the first howler was all down to Stones, Maguire gave him the ball in acres of space and he just stood around, waited to get closed down and then tried to Cruyff turn his way out of trouble. He then proceeded to fall to the floor and stay down, when if he had got up he may well have got to the ball and supported the rebound from Pickford's (excellent) save.

Stones was also the orchestrator of the second howler with an excellent assist from Barkley.

Not to mention he actually lost the ball in a similar fashion in the first half but got away with it.

Genuinely one of the worst performances I have ever seen from an individual in one match and i've witnessed peak Jack Stephens.

Yep, a fair assessment Shandy. JWP and Redmond must be pleased not to have been too closely associated with that shower of ****e.

No doubt a few footballers on this board who have had to pay subs to play on a Sunday whether Southampton Commercial, Portsmouth Dockyard League, Meon Valley or whatever, but you'd all be absolutely embarrassed to concede goals like tonight: completely avoidable with a bit of common-sense and awareness. Laughter in the pub tonight, happy from a Dutch guy and cynical from the rest of us.They get paid for that!

Yep, a fair assessment Shandy. JWP and Redmond must be pleased not to have been too closely associated with that shower of ****e.

No doubt a few footballers on this board who have had to pay subs to play on a Sunday whether Southampton Commercial, Portsmouth Dockyard League, Meon Valley or whatever, but you'd all be absolutely embarrassed to concede goals like tonight: completely avoidable with a bit of common-sense and awareness. Laughter in the pub tonight, happy from a Dutch guy and cynical from the rest of us.They get paid for that!

All too true, sadly. They think they’re better than they are.

The number of Liverpool fans on social media proclaiming their support for the Netherlands because they are ‘scouse not English’ is weird. Strange bunch.

Plastic Red 'scouse not English' = Irish/Scandinavian/North Welsh/Asian/etc.

Poor ol' victimised Virgil, time to light some candles.

Defenders made mistakes, but then so did De Ligt, his was a howler as well.

But England lost that in midfield, just not good enough on the ball, not good enough at finding space to move the ball forward to the front players.

Compare our midfield with De Jong, just no comparison, a 21 year old that has just signed for Barca for like £80 million and we are playing Delph, bout sums it up really.

We need to find some quality midfielders from somewhere, its why I said JWP was very unlucky not to get in and if he keeps progressing he is a shoe in because that midfield is sh*t. I'll let Rice off cos hes young, but Delph and Barkley should be nowhere near an England team.

Same happened against Croatia in the World Cup, we couldn't deal with Modric and Rakitic, when we come up against top quality centre mids, we lose because our centre mid is average premier league at best.

Sad thing is all our hot prospects and success at youth levels, I am not sure who is going to come in to fill this role because most of the stand out players from those teams are not centre-mids.

Foden if he can develop into a no10, maybe.

But we need to find a De Jong type player, someone who can link and develop the play. Its a shame a Wheelchair has pretty much fallen apart because he could have been that player I reckon, he's talented enough but never really developed.

All good will from the World Cup gone from me now, that was utterly abject and the worst England performance since Iceland in 2016 (cant see that ever being beaten).

Starts at the top, Southgate picked an absolute dog of a starting line up.

But Stones should never EVER play for England again, I know Maguire had a poor game but the first howler was all down to Stones, Maguire gave him the ball in acres of space and he just stood around, waited to get closed down and then tried to Cruyff turn his way out of trouble. He then proceeded to fall to the floor and stay down, when if he had got up he may well have got to the ball and supported the rebound from Pickford's (excellent) save.

Stones was also the orchestrator of the second howler with an excellent assist from Barkley.

Not to mention he actually lost the ball in a similar fashion in the first half but got away with it.

Genuinely one of the worst performances I have ever seen from an individual in one match and i've witnessed peak Jack Stephens.

Whilst the world cup was fun, our performance was still pretty overhyped. We only beat Tunisa, Panama and Sweden. The luck of the draw and penalties enabled us to get to the semi final stage, but we were never on the level with the other teams at that stage really.

We've got some good young players in the attacking third, but there are some serious holes in the side - as other's have said, midfield. Which begs the question, what in crying out loud has Delph done to get called up in the first place? He doesn't even play for City anymore, he's certainly not good enough for this level. Rice looked hideously out of his depth.

So, it's a good young squad, but the media have overhyped it based on quite an average world cup performance. We still fall short against teams of any real quality.

Whilst the world cup was fun, our performance was still pretty overhyped. We only beat Tunisa, Panama and Sweden. The luck of the draw and penalties enabled us to get to the semi final stage, but we were never on the level with the other teams at that stage really.

We've got some good young players in the attacking third, but there are some serious holes in the side - as other's have said, midfield. Which begs the question, what in crying out loud has Delph done to get called up in the first place? He doesn't even play for City anymore, he's certainly not good enough for this level. Rice looked hideously out of his depth.

So, it's a good young squad, but the media have overhyped it based on quite an average world cup performance. We still fall short against teams of any real quality.

Think Rice quickly realised that he was suddenly playing with a fire extinguisher in his hand following Delph about.

Agree with every word. The World Cup provided nothing more than a false dawn really. If we were that good then that was the time to win it, in my life time I doubt we will have a better chance, but as soon as we came up against quality we lost it. As someone above said 'they think they are better than they are', again I totally agree, the players and coaching staff need to reassess - because we aint that good.

As for 'the system', well if it don't work don't do it. Playing out from the back is all very well if you have players that are technically good enough to do it. We don't, the mistakes aside, even when Maguire tried to come forward with the ball, he invariably lost it and then had to scamper back. If we are not going to scrap the system, at least tweak it to a system that everybody is happy with and capable of playing.

Unfortunately I think that the WC Semi was the high for this England team and we are about to revert to type - it's all down hill from here.

Agree with every word. The World Cup provided nothing more than a false dawn really. If we were that good then that was the time to win it, in my life time I doubt we will have a better chance, but as soon as we came up against quality we lost it. As someone above said 'they think they are better than they are', again I totally agree, the players and coaching staff need to reassess - because we aint that good.

As for 'the system', well if it don't work don't do it. Playing out from the back is all very well if you have players that are technically good enough to do it. We don't, the mistakes aside, even when Maguire tried to come forward with the ball, he invariably lost it and then had to scamper back. If we are not going to scrap the system, at least tweak it to a system that everybody is happy with and capable of playing.

Unfortunately I think that the WC Semi was the high for this England team and we are about to revert to type - it's all down hill from here.

We massively overachieved at the WC as it showed when we played a decent side we showed how limited we are....

Not so much a false dawn, the sun didn't really come up

England need better centre backs, that's all . Why no Keane last night? Better than Calamity John Stones really.

Or for Sancho to bury the point blank, free header he had to win the match - not seen any mention of that in the aftermath.

He was very quiet but then so was Sterling neither were getting much service from midfield................also Walker behind him was having a stinker too.

Agree about Keane but our midfield is poor too.....

Can't even remember who's in our midfield actually, they were that discreet. Henderson came on at the end, didn't make much difference. That nonce Delph should be nowhere near the national side and Rice...well he's nowhere near ready at that level either.

Circumstances probably led to such a poor side last night though. Normally we'd have Henderson and Winks in midfield wouldn't we?

Can't even remember who's in our midfield actually, they were that discreet. Henderson came on at the end, didn't make much difference. That nonce Delph should be nowhere near the national side and Rice...well he's nowhere near ready at that level either.

Circumstances probably led to such a poor side last night though. Normally we'd have Henderson and Winks in midfield wouldn't we?

Nonce? Don’t try so hard.

We massively overachieved at the WC as it showed when we played a decent side we showed how limited we are....

Not so much a false dawn, the sun didn't really come up

Not so much we over achieved, we didn't really play anyone until Croatia. To be honest, we are better off not scoring til late into a second half, we are bit like our lot, just cannot keep a lead. As good as our win in Spain was, we still nearly threw that one away too and then we wouldn't have played last night anyway.

This team has a long way to go and I am still not sure Southgate is the man to deliver success. He seems to have fallen into the 'we must pay like a Pep team' trap, but we have not got those sort of players. The irony of John Stones eh.

Probably but they are nothing special so the same applies, our midfield is poor

I like Winks, he's clearly capable of controlling a game and looks a good prospect, that massively mature performance against Madrid at the Bernabeau showed that, against I believe Modric, who had schooled us at the World Cup.

But he doesn't seem to be able to stay on one piece for very long, just falls apart after a run of games.

I don't watch much football apart from Saints but was aware Delph doesn't play much; you're opinion seemed to be the general consensus in the pub last night. Presumably he's in their squad as one of the token Englishmen?