Non-Saints Games

whelk

Be interesting to see the ages of folks who said they enjoyed that. As I posted yesterday once upon a time you would have been hating them with a passion in the league on Saturday, then cheering them on mid week in Europe as they were a British team against the foreign foe. Especially when you use to see the stunts pulled by the oppos when playing away both as England and a UK team in Europe. Like in the days of photographers massed behind the goal line, before digital camera photography, there would be 2-3 actual newspaper photographers the rest had cameras with no film in but pockets bulging with flashbulbs, every time a British team attacked their goal they would be snapping away in an attempt to dazzle the attack. That’s just not very British.

On the flip side - World cups of 74 and 78 no England, but Scotland were there, most England fans would have been rooting for the Scots, but like the odd comment coming up on here if England were the sole UK representation the Scots would have been cheering for whoever England would be playing.

These last 2 nights if you like Football for the game it is - it was very hard not to get caught up in the bizarre events that unfolded, then the fact that whilst the teams are peppered with foriegn players, the teams are English that won through.

Strangley in our house last night we cheered all the goals and groaned at all the misses with equal measure.

Brilliant post. I've lived through all of that (and lived in Scotland for 15 years although I be an 'Ampshire Lad' Spot on Sir.

Be interesting to see the ages of folks who said they enjoyed that. As I posted yesterday once upon a time you would have been hating them with a passion in the league on Saturday, then cheering them on mid week in Europe as they were a British team against the foreign foe. Especially when you use to see the stunts pulled by the oppos when playing away both as England and a UK team in Europe. Like in the days of photographers massed behind the goal line, before digital camera photography, there would be 2-3 actual newspaper photographers the rest had cameras with no film in but pockets bulging with flashbulbs, every time a British team attacked their goal they would be snapping away in an attempt to dazzle the attack. That’s just not very British.

On the flip side - World cups of 74 and 78 no England, but Scotland were there, most England fans would have been rooting for the Scots, but like the odd comment coming up on here if England were the sole UK representation the Scots would have been cheering for whoever England would be playing.

These last 2 nights if you like Football for the game it is - it was very hard not to get caught up in the bizarre events that unfolded, then the fact that whilst the teams are peppered with foriegn players, the teams are English that won through.

Strangley in our house last night we cheered all the goals and groaned at all the misses with equal measure.

I think you're right.

It's mostly folks of a certain age that will think Johnny Foreigner is a slippery cheat and "our boys" are fighting the good fight for Brittania.

#brexit

I think you're right.

It's mostly folks of a certain age that will think Johnny Foreigner is a slippery cheat and "our boys" are fighting the good fight for Brittania.

#brexit

Haha, a nod to a certain tweet, even down to the spelling mistake ;)

You realise UEFA have locked down 4 places so no risk whatever the coefficient may reduce to?

No actually, I didn't realise that. Must have been quite recent. Although on one hand that's disappointing, I suppose at least that removes another piece of hope - it's the hope that kills you after all. I don't really follow the European football to be honest - partly because I can't stand the big clubs but also because I don't have BT so it's totally inaccessible. Quite a few things now that I would like to see more of but don't get the chance because it's all on Sky/BT. I can just about put up with buffering streams to see Southampton play but not for anything else!

No actually, I didn't realise that. Must have been quite recent. Although on one hand that's disappointing, I suppose at least that removes another piece of hope - it's the hope that kills you after all. I don't really follow the European football to be honest - partly because I can't stand the big clubs but also because I don't have BT so it's totally inaccessible. Quite a few things now that I would like to see more of but don't get the chance because it's all on Sky/BT. I can just about put up with buffering streams to see Southampton play but not for anything else!

Was to appease clubs who were looking at breakaway talks. Think next season, or one afetr that the format changes so less knock outs. Can’t be risking that tv money can they!

https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/#/yr/2019

The game is totally f*cked isn't it? Way too much power in the hands of the rich clubs.

Tbh I had lost a fair bit of interest in CL over years but no denying this years comp has had high drama and only strengthens its appeal and riches.

The game is totally f*cked isn't it? Way too much power in the hands of the rich clubs.

Nah this is just foreplay - read this this and you will see European football could be setting the table ready to sit down an eat itself.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7012865/UEFA-consider-narrowing-path-Champions-League-small-leagues.html

Someone has a sense of humour sending our fishy friends all the way to Sunderland for a 7:30 ko on a Saturday night.

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch, but in all seriousness it is quite ridiculous. When the other matches today are Villa-WBA and Derby-Leeds. Not exactly a long way to travel for either of them. Just goes to show that fans are always the last consideration.

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch, but in all seriousness it is quite ridiculous. When the other matches today are Villa-WBA and Derby-Leeds. Not exactly a long way to travel for either of them. Just goes to show that fans are always the last consideration.

I thought it was the police who moved the game to that time.

The fixture was supposed to be tomorrow but a marathon/half marathon is on...??

No one thinks of the fans line has clearly been the case for years and no one should be surprised.

Although Portsmouth so funny.

No one thinks of the fans line has clearly been the case for years and no one should be surprised.

Although Portsmouth so funny.

True! I remember when our game at Sunderland (think it was THAT FA cup but may have been league) was moved to a Noon kick off... of all the matches they could have chosen.

True! I remember when our game at Sunderland (think it was THAT FA cup but may have been league) was moved to a Noon kick off... of all the matches they could have chosen.

That was the league 2-2, Jay Rod scored early on but we let a 2 goal lead slip (in Poch 2013-14 season)

I don’t actually see the problem with a late kick off. Longer to drive up, have a few pints, go to the game, a few more pints and stay the night.

There and back in the same day is a b*tch of a journey anyway.

no denying that!

I went to THAT league cup game, I had been working in Dumfries and drove over to Sunderland, I was due in Milton Keynes the next morning, after walking away from that steaming pile of a performance, not having booked a hotel figuring I would find a room somewhere, thought it’s late, roads would be quiet, bit piddled off, sod it drive home “only an hour and a bit to MK from home” fired up the sat navy punched in home “289 miles!! Sod that! Why knock your pipe out?!”. Holiday Inn Sheffield was enough of a chore in itself.

So today's the day, I either win a bit of cash from Brighton getting a result against Citeh...will help with the media overload on Klopp et al winning the PL, or City win and my Facebook quietens down till the Champions League final....

Congratulations to Cardiff for winning ten matches in the league this season.

Strangely, not enough to keep them in the division though. #bangonthemoney #statisticalanslysis #ceterisparibus

Edited by CB Fry

Congratulations to Cardiff for winning ten matches in the league this season.

Strangely, not enough to keep them in the division though. #bangonthemoney #statisticalanslysis #ceterisparibus

They'd have been better placed if they'd had been able to beat fellow strugglers, Burnley, Huddersfield and Fulham. Therein lies the secret of Premier League survival.

They'd have been better placed if they'd had been able to beat fellow strugglers, Burnley, Huddersfield and Fulham. Therein lies the secret of Premier League survival.

We only got 2 wins from playing those 3 home and away, plus lost both v cardiff. At one stage I thought the 6 pointer losses v cardiff would do for us tbh

Unlucky, but funny. They'll never get this close again, they'll never have a season this good again. Wouldn’t be surprised if they struggle to pick themselves up next season after this, whatever they say it will feel like an absolute gut wrench.

97 points, +57 gd, and one defeat all season, but nothing to show for it. Couldn't have happened to a better bunch.

Unlucky, but funny. They'll never get this close again, they'll never have a season this good again. Wouldn’t be surprised if they struggle to pick themselves up next season after this, whatever they say it will feel like an absolute gut wrench.

97 points, +57 gd, and one defeat all season, but nothing to show for it. Couldn't have happened to a better bunch.

Losing the CL final will be

200.gif

That’s the one they wanted. They will go nuts if they win Champions League of course but the league title is what they really want.

Edited by beatlesaint

Is anyone else really confused as to why Utd appointed Ole? Who are the idiots running that club these days? Clearly their eyes were made wide by his ''good run'' when he was caretaker, but anyone could tell he was never the right calibre to take over there.

It's quite embarrassing really, a club the size of Utd being managed by a novice who failed at Cardiff himself. That club is in a right mess, not sure what the way out for them is. Must kill them watching City lap it up! (and Liverpool to some degree) Good to see them suffer a bit...but yeah, it’s weird to see a club of that huge size turn into an also-ran.

Is anyone else really confused as to why Utd appointed Ole? Who are the idiots running that club these days? Clearly their eyes were made wide by his ''good run'' when he was caretaker, but anyone could tell he was never the right calibre to take over there.

It's quite embarrassing really, a club the size of Utd being managed by a novice who failed at Cardiff himself. That club is in a right mess, not sure what the way out for them is. Must kill them watching City lap it up! (and Liverpool to some degree) Good to see them suffer a bit...but yeah, it’s weird to see a club of that huge size turn into an also-ran.

the media fawning of OGS at the time was utterly cringeworthy. He provided some new manager bounce when they played lower ranked sides. Even when they won at Spurs, they got battered. Butt the media fawned all over him.

Even that win at PSG - when it was all the rage to say 'give him the job now - they were very lucky.

They had absolutely no need to give him the job when they did as he was hardly going to walk out.

^the Ole was appointment was clearly rushed.

They had a great chance to breakup a top 6 rival and strengthen themselves with Mopo

Two birds one stone.

They've been poorly managed at board level for a few years now and it could cost them hundreds of millions now to become competitive again. They've really dropped off the pace. Miles behind Liverpool n City now

No manager will succeed with that squad, the egos are running the show. Pogba is the worst, they need to ship him out ASAP. When he isn’t happy he just downs tools until the manager gets the boot.

No manager will succeed with that squad, the egos are running the show. Pogba is the worst, they need to ship him out ASAP. When he isn’t happy he just downs tools until the manager gets the boot.

Oh I agree with Pogba without question, he thinks he's better than he is. His 'Brand' is bigger than his footballing ability.

He'd probaby still get in at Madrid though, or somewhere like that. I'd see If i could throw that awful CB Jones in as well, but they've just offered him a new 4 year deal so that won't be happening. More crazy goal-faces for years to come.