Saints 3-3 Bournemouth - Reaction

Lighthouse

Was there a reason Gosling and Wilson were making gestures at the crowd after they’d scored? Gosling in particular seemed pretty pleased to have silenced the mighty Chapel, was he getting a bit of stick beforehand?

Just playing up to their spacky fans.

I've met Wilson a number of times and he's a really nice bloke. Spoken at length to him about Saints, and he'd have loved to play here.

Blimey, I've never had a problem with them, they do seem a bit odd on that forum (even by SWF standards).

Apparently it is hilariously tinpot to occasionally show videos of the FA Cup winning goal. No doubt if they ever got anywhere near winning silverware, they'd just play it cool and never even mention it.

Tbh it is a BIT tinpot. 43 years ago now... Ho hum. Still enjoyed the MLT goals

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just playing up to their spacky fans.

I've met Wilson a number of times and he's a really nice bloke. Spoken at length to him about Saints, and he'd have loved to play here.

He’d be perfect for us, would love to get him but expect he’ll do better than us now and cost £30m Quick, strong, good finisher, cost c £3m FFS, they are there if you look hard enough.

Ok, so am I the only one who thought it was funny/ridiculous that when Austin came on all he started doing was run to the corner and stall. Its almost like Ralph said we need a goal, then the second Austin ran on he realized Cardiff gave up a goal so he told everyone to stall.

Ok, so am I the only one who thought it was funny/ridiculous that when Austin came on all he started doing was run to the corner and stall. Its almost like Ralph said we need a goal, then the second Austin ran on he realized Cardiff gave up a goal so he told everyone to stall.

What was noticeable, he was puffing like a steam train, after only a few minutes. Seriously unfit.

r

on another note - https://bournemouth-forum.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/well-done-southampton.8924/ :rolleyes:

They will be fighting for their premier league lives soon enough and of course, it wont be tinpot etc etc

"Their time wasting in the corner, at home, was hilariously small time. They get funnier every season"

"Surprised to see how they celebrated at the end! Tinpot."

Projection (Psychological)

1) An unconscious self-defence mechanism characterised by a person unconsciously attributing their own issues onto someone or something else as a form of delusion and denial.

2) A way to blame others for your own negative thoughts by repressing them and then attributing them to someone else. Due to the sorrowful nature of delusion and denial it is very difficult for the target to be able to clarify the reality of the situation.

3) A way to transfer guilt for your own thoughts, emotions and actions onto another as a way of not admitting your guilt to yourself.

on another note - https://bournemouth-forum.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/well-done-southampton.8924/ :rolleyes:

They will be fighting for their premier league lives soon enough and of course, it wont be tinpot etc etc

Blimey, I've never had a problem with them, they do seem a bit odd on that forum (even by SWF standards).

Apparently it is hilariously tinpot to occasionally show videos of the FA Cup winning goal. No doubt if they ever got anywhere near winning silverware, they'd just play it cool and never even mention it.

To be fair, our lovable little bumpkin cousins have a point -we were pretty tinpot today.

Still, Charlie Austin could have spent 90mins in the corner and it sill wouldn’t have beaten their que sera sera, we’re going to st.marys chant in the tinpottery stakes. Cretins.

like this?

imagine Pompey fans/players singing this? nope...

For any lurking Bournemouth fans - this is what you call tinpot!!!

[video=youtube;0q-njoDl7tE]

Edited by Batman

This was, annoyingly, one game I couldn't get to so my impressions come from brief MOTD highlights, which I know can be misleading!

However, our defending was clearly poor at times which perhaps wasn't surprising with Yoshida and Vestergaard both out. Not sure how well Stephens was overall but he nearly lost it fir us at the end. Bednarek looked shakier than usual in a two, especially with Stephens as his partner.

I think we've got used to playing a back three and it's been quite effective with the first-choice players, but is restricting as it makes it harder to fit in an extra striker or AM. A big thing for the summer is whether Ralph can find a pairing strong enough to let him move to his (we are told) preferred 4222. Would almost certainly involve Stephens moving on and a seriously better replacement.

JWP seemed influential and took his goal well. Otherwise it looked to me as if we were too easily cut open in midfield? Redmond played a part but could/should have scored with the chances he had.

From the little I saw, Valery Targett and Bertrand were ok. Targett's header was good but it was kind of Boruc to just get a touch on it to send it over the defender's head.[emoji6]

Long was both lucky that his goal took a small deflection and the missed rebound came to him very fast. I wouldn't be too critical of that miss and at least he's now getting into scoring positions and getting shots on target.

Armstrong obviously made one very poor decision which led to their third, but how was he otherwise? I assume he was brought on as a more solid option than Lemina.

Credit to Ralph. He got the team starting with high intensity and we should have killed the game early on. And then he changed the shape, and momentum at half time.

Entertaining game, a bit scrappy, defending awful at times but some very attractive attacking but we're safe and can enjoy the last two games.

Happy days!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Well we are safe and well done Ralph with this lot in tow....

I predicted we would concede bringing Armstrong on and we did. He is just not at the races at all. He is lazy and or not aware what’s going on around him. Ralph is obviously very unsure about him and rightly.

The fans fav who is of a similar ilk and should be moved on is Bednarek. It’s not surprising that we conceded three with him and Stephens at the back who of course is also needing to be shifted on.

So two Centre Backs needed, cover or competition at right back though Ramsey looks very useful and a forward.

You're mental, overall bednarek has had a good season the guy is 22 without any premier League experience & will get better & better! He is in a defence with Jack Stephens who just isn't ready or good enough at this point

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Well we are safe and well done Ralph with this lot in tow....

I predicted we would concede bringing Armstrong on and we did. He is just not at the races at all. He is lazy and or not aware what’s going on around him. Ralph is obviously very unsure about him and rightly.

The fans fav who is of a similar ilk and should be moved on is Bednarek. It’s not surprising that we conceded three with him and Stephens at the back who of course is also needing to be shifted on.

So two Centre Backs needed, cover or competition at right back though Ramsey looks very useful and a forward.

I am used to reading some drivel on here from time to time but this really wins the prize.

I can understand you're bitterly disappointed that Saints are safe and we can be optimistic about next season.

Apart from that, can't decide whether your post is extremely amateurish low quality trolling, a pathetic attempt to undermine one of our best players this season or just a demonstration of an inability to analyse and assess.

Not really, he's saying he wants to get to 40 points BEFORE we did it this time. Not that he wants to get 40 points next season.
Exactly. Getting 40 points after 14 games would be earlier than this season.

anyone rate Ings' performance?

I thought he was pretty crap and has been for a little while.

That shot when the ball dropped to him about 10 yards out with the keeper to beat and he tried a volley on the outside of his right foot was very tame.

Seemingly, can only manage 60-70 mimns per week

:?

That shot when the ball dropped to him about 10 yards out with the keeper to beat and he tried a volley on the outside of his right foot was very tame.

He did exceptionally well to win the ball in the area which led to Targett’s goal.

To be honest it’s only when watching the game back - both this one and Wolves the other week that I notice some of the work he does, he’s a clever player with a football brain.

My only concern is his fitness. Whether you like him or not we are stuck with him.

Just for posterity as it still rings true to this day;

Dear Bucket Rattlers

Stop it, just stop it. Enough is enough.

Your infatuation with us has surpassed even the mildest mannered of Saints supporters now. Those whom, like me, went along to support and contribute to one of the money spinning friendlies between the two clubs when you were in dire financial straights – only to be abused remorselessly for the duration of the game. “Scummers! Scummers!” you shouted at us as we stood there, completely bemused as to where this hatred had come from. Many, like me, had always looked out for Bournemouth results and had cheered whenever the tannoy announcer at The Dell or St.Mary’s announced that the Cherries had won.

You have left us feeling rather confused and if truth be told, a little angry. I know I am.

You accuse us of arrogance. That’s an incredible statement coming from a side that has dwelled beneath us for decades. Sure, some Saints fans have in the past alluded to the fact that we are probably too big a club for this league. That’s the truth. If you’d take the time to look at the facts then you might agree, too.

We average more than many Premier League clubs and likewise, Championship clubs. However, don’t be fooled; we KNOW implicitly that football is not decided on attendances alone. We know we must earn the right to get out of this division like everyone else. Don’t confuse “arrogance” with what is clearly an educated and correct assessment of the size of our club. We are a medium sized Premier League club and no amount of bleating and accusations of arrogance will change that.

Yet you must also remember that despite this, most if not all Saints fans recognise that we have no god-given right to be a Premier League side.

So, with that in mind, please dispel any misconceptions you have about us being arrogant.

Bournemouth, on the other hand, can be dutifully proud of their own snobbish and arrogant behaviour. One season at level pegging with us divisionally and you’ve gone into meltdown. You have the temerity to accuse us of arrogance while chomping on your sticks of rock.

Then, at another level, you are very quick to forget that we did help you in the times you needed financial help. Neil Moss, remember him? Advance payment. Loan players like Surman and Lallana in recent years… remember them? Friendlies, fundraisers and pitch maintenance equipment too – you even received help from our ground staff!

Is it me, or have you forgotten to thank us?

Christ, it’s like dealing with a spoilt child. And before you begin whining that I’ve mentioned that we’ve helped you and you accuse my comments of atypical arrogance that you’ve received from us, please remember one thing; Did you, or did you not receive that help?

Yes. Yes you did. If anyone is arrogant, it is you for completely bypassing those parts of your history.

But we’re not done yet. Oh no, I’ve still more points to make.

Let’s talk about your “plucky underdog” mentality.

“Big bad Southampton” are coming to visit. “Nasty, horrible Southampton” whose fans kill babies and rape women (and men, probably too – I’ve seen the scaremongering rubbish in your local paper from Neil Meldrum). Led by their evil mastermind, Don Cortese!

Give it a rest you morons.

You like to remind us that we too, are a “nothing club”. In terms of the top six or so clubs in the Premier League and a few traditional founding football members spattered across the leagues or now defunct, yes, you’re right. We’ve achieved nothing. Yet, if our best achievements include treading water in the top division for 27 consecutive years amongst the real big, bad bullies of the Premier League and a couple of cup final appearances, then I'd take that over "plucky Bournemouth". Remind us, what have you achieved?

Oh, that’s right. You’re a “plucky underdog”, I remember now. Still, teams of a similar size have achieved far more than you in recent times. Blackpool? Well, they’re in the Premier League. Hull? Swindon? Notts County? Oldham? They’ve all been in the top division over the past twenty years. Brighton? Colchester, S****horpe, Plymouth, Luton, Southend, Bury, Crewe, Walsall, Stockport, Doncaster? They’ve got further than you, too. That’s a lot of plucky underdogs not weighed down with a significant chip on their shoulders.

Hell, even MK Dons have won more in their short existence than you lot.

So that makes you a "plucky, underachieving underdog". Diddums.

So if you’re going to remind us that our existence in the Premier League was pointless than I am almost duty-bound to remind you that you’ve been nothing in the lower leagues too. Forgive me. Oh no, wait - poke it. I'm not done yet.

And by the way, I’d take our Matt Le Tissier memories to your Roger Boli moments every day of the week, ta.

At first, you reminded me of Portsmouth’s annoying little brother with all the “Scummer” comments. It was almost as if you were pulling at your big brothers coat tails and saying “Look, look, we called them a scummer too!”.

But over the past few days (possibly weeks), you’ve been frothing at the mouth, fantasising about playing us again and creating some sort of rivalry. From being Portsmouth’s annoying, perhaps retarded little brother you’ve transformed. Forgive me, but in my imagination now you’ve morphed into a crazed, wide-eyed stalker. You’re obsessed with us, yet you are convinced that despite our constant reaffirmation that we don’t care about you, it’s us who is stalking you.

Truth is you’ve been tailing us ever since the final whistle at Burton Albion.

“Que sera sera, whatever will be, will be, we’re going to St.Mary’s, que sera sera”

Remember that? How cringeworthy. Yet you say its our Cup final and not yours? Are you sure about that, or are you just being arrogant? Hang on, I thought you said you were the “plucky underdogs”? Which is it, Cherries?

So, from a benign if slightly annoying neighbour to a crazy, rabidly obsessed one. The type whom is always peering through his binoculars and into our garden. Dare we show any affection?

Cherries, you’ll never be our rivals for any long-term period of time. All that you’ve achieved from your continuous baiting, bickering and belittling of Saints is a loss of empathy and ultimately, support from Saints fans – which, if truth be told, you had in abundance up until a couple of years back. We feel more inclined to laugh at you now than help you but anyway, that's what you always wanted, right? You never wanted our sympathy, you keep reminding us. That's ok then - just don't ever come rattling your buckets this way again because it won't be money going in it this time.

Some of us who were present at one of those many fundraising games have never forgotten our “welcome” and how ungracious you were and continue to be. That said, most Saints fans have only come to realise in recent days in the build up to this game what prized pillocks most of you are. You have been spiteful and petty. You have been rude and arrogant. With any luck, you'll finally be put in your rightful place (sectioned, if I were to keep with the analogy I described above) tomorrow when the Premier League juggernaut rolls into your quaint, 12000 capacity but rarely full, field of dreams. How's that for arrogance?

Enjoy your Cup Final.

Afterthoughts...

PS: Many of your fans have arrogantly panned The Dell and/or St. Mary’s in recent times. Whatever your observation, at the very least our stadiums have always had four sides operational. Think about it.

PPS: You’ve also criticised our attendances. Have a think about that one… we get more than many Premier League and Championship clubs. Remind us of what you get again?

PPPS: Get your own radio station, you’ve been clogging up Radio Solent for years now and it’s getting as tiresome as your stalker-like advances towards us.

PPPPS: If I ever come into to any money I'm going to partner up with Marc Jackson, buy AFBC, demolish Dean Court and put a monkey chicken petting zoo there. At least it'll guarantee more than 5,000 visitors every Saturday.

He works his tits off every game, his movement off the ball is very good and he is a decent finisher in general to. Fitness is the issue though he is always going to struggle to get a consistent run of games and match fitness going with a season constantly interrupted by low level injuries.

We seem incapable of learning from our mistakes and glaring errors of judgement by Armstrong and Stephens nearly cost us.

Yes, we stay up for another year but not by any means in style. It's all very well hanging on by our finger tips year after year largely because of the poor performance of rivals rather than anything to do with our own efforts but frankly this performance like so many recently was just not good enough.

Unless Gao has access to a secret hoard of cash that he hasn't told us about before it is hard to see were all this is leading in the summer and one might reasonably feel that we have just put off the inevitable for another season.

This was, annoyingly, one game I couldn't get to so my impressions come from brief MOTD highlights, which I know can be misleading!

However, our defending was clearly poor at times which perhaps wasn't surprising with Yoshida and Vestergaard both out. Not sure how well Stephens was overall but he nearly lost it fir us at the end. Bednarek looked shakier than usual in a two, especially with Stephens as his partner.

Long was both lucky that his goal took a small deflection and the missed rebound came to him very fast. I wouldn't be too critical of that miss and at least he's now getting into scoring positions and getting shots on target.

Armstrong obviously made one very poor decision which led to their third, but how was he otherwise? I assume he was brought on as a more solid option than Lemina.

Credit to Ralph. He got the team starting with high intensity and we should have killed the game early on. And then he changed the shape, and momentum at half time.

What MOTD couldn't convey was that Saints were in total control until Bournemouth made it 1-1. Yet another occasion where we lose possession from an attacking position - in their penalty area - to be sliced open in midfield and defence.

Stephens was approaching Hoedt levels on occasion yesterday. Apart from giving Bournemouth their opportunity to nick it, the most telling moment for me was in the first half where in their half he was outjumped for a simple header in their half which enabled Bournemouth to break. Not sure who their player was but looked a few inches shorter, and I din't think Stephens feet left the ground. You can't imagine some of our previous CB's being left flatfooted like that, Fonte, and before... John McGrath would spin in his grave at that.

Armstrong showed why he's unreliable, needlessly lost possession. Not the first time this season.

Ralph has done a tremendous job. Having sorted our league status out, as he says start planning for next season. I've no doubt he'll look to clear out the deadwood, and some of their cards will have been marked- when did Elynouussi last feature ?. I expect RH will have targeted the players he wants.

Wish I could be confident that Ross Wilson and whoever can deliver on Ralph's plans.

Unless Gao has access to a secret hoard of cash that he hasn't told us about before it is hard to see were all this is leading in the summer and one might reasonably feel that we have just put off the inevitable for another season.

On MOTD Ralph seemed to think he will be able to rebuild the squad in the summer so I guess there is some money somewhere.

Hopefully, Gao has got rid of Reed and Kruger so he can bring in someone he can trust to spend his money. I agree though that unless there is some sort of war chest it will be another struggle.

like this?

imagine Pompey fans/players singing this? nope...

For any lurking Bournemouth fans - this is what you call tinpot!!!

[video=youtube;0q-njoDl7tE]

We can play for a draw as much as we like, celebrate staying up as much as we like, do a huddle in the centre circle as much as we like, time waste as much as we like. The point remains we always were , are, and always will be ****ing huge in comparison to bloody Bournemouth. I mean Bournemouth FFS. And they STILL haven’t won at St Mary’s.

All the above breaks their little heart, and is why they’ve such an inferiority complex.

That embarrassing moment when you stand up to celebrate the 3rd goal only to realise you've got one of those fuking clappers in your hand (was using it a sunshade).

Anyone tell me what Austin and others were doing hugging the corner flag towards the end? Looked like we were trying to see the game out at 3-3?

That embarrassing moment when you stand up to celebrate the 3rd goal only to realise you've got one of those fuking clappers in your hand (was using it a sunshade).

Anyone tell me what Austin and others were doing hugging the corner flag towards the end? Looked like we were trying to see the game out at 3-3?

Well I assumed the bench had told them Cardiff were losing so even if they levelled late on at Fulham the point we had was still good enough to ensure we would stay up (given the almighty goal difference advantage) For people to start booing was, to say the least, ignorant given the whole point of the season once RH came in was to keep the club in the Premier League after Hughes' pathetic 9 point haul.

That's exactly what they where doing guess they heard Cardiff where losing, and a point was enough to stay up, so rather than trust our defence not to throw away another game they went for seeing the game out in the corner bit embarrassing but the right call I guess.

Yes, we stay up for another year but not by any means in style. It's all very well hanging on by our finger tips year after year largely because of the poor performance of rivals rather than anything to do with our own efforts but frankly this performance like so many recently was just not good enough.

You do talk some ******** dont you ?

You do realise we, under RH, have taken 29 points out of 20 games so if that had been repeated over a full season we would have gained somewhere between 56 - 60 points.

Thats hardly because of poor performance of rivals :uhoh:

That's exactly what they where doing guess they heard Cardiff where losing, and a point was enough to stay up, so rather than trust our defence not to throw away another game they went for seeing the game out in the corner bit embarrassing but the right call I guess.

Fair enough I suppose, bigger picture and all that. A bit surprising to see that at home though, against a team we were playing better than.

Overall he didn't have too much impact, due to his obvious lack of fitness. But he did very well to win the ball and lay it off to JWP in the build up to the 3rd goal, and twice in the first 15 minutes (when we were heavily on top) he played Redmond in with a perfect through-ball, of the type we used to see Tadic play to Pelle.

Despite his fitness issues, he still makes a far better contribution than Austin is capable of.

Was at the match, good game of football despite both sides defensive frailties.

Thought Ings looked slightly either unfit or tired, particularly 2nd half. Redmond scared the life out of their defenders but finishing poor, but you cant always hit the top corner from 20+ yards. JWP, Hoj solid, Valery did well again, improving with every game. Centre backs shaky when they attacked. Good switch by Ralph for 2nd half with Bertie in the middle. Targett got his goal but isn't PL standard yet. Armstrong error led to their 3rd, but it was still a 2 v 4 situation. Bournemouth played well in patches to be fair, and their finishing was clinical.

Considering where we were with Hughes we can't complain too much, anyone would have taken safe with 2 games to spare. We've picked up points against 4 of the top 6 and picked up 29pts in 20 games (not counting Cardiff away), versus 12 pts in 16 games under Hughes. If we continue in that vein next season we'll finish top 10 easily. Don't think we need a mass clear out, but I think around 6 players need improvement or replacing, say Austin, Stephens, Moi, Long, Targett, and Forster needs to go outright. Another look at Boufal may be useful as well.

He works his tits off every game, his movement off the ball is very good and he is a decent finisher in general to. Fitness is the issue though he is always going to struggle to get a consistent run of games and match fitness going with a season constantly interrupted by low level injuries.

Remember, he also thought that Pelle was cr ap. Ings is a quality player and well worth £20m if we can keep him fit.

On my way back from the game. Yet another one of those frustrating Saints games where every molecule in your body is telling you that we wouldn't hold onto the lead (twice). So bloody annoying given we dominated the majority of the game. Why do we need 10+ chances to score a goal whereas our opponents seemingly score with every chance they get? Have faith in Ralph fixing this issue next season.

In more positive news, finally got to meet Fitzhugh Fella after all these years! Good to see you Sir.

We are staying up... Happy days :)

Good to meet you at last Trousers (and your nipper).

We live to fight another season. Just hope the manager's hands aren't too tightly bound by lack of finance. I think the last several windows are still catching up with us. Crazy season - we sacked our manager, our Chairman and our DoF and we still survived.

Well that was fun, I’ll happily settle for mid table obscurity next season versus this and last season, with a few bloody noses handed out to the top 6 along the way.

With my Saints shirt on that was hard work yesterday, with the benefit of knowing the result no wonder it was Sky Game of the Day, it was entertaining. When they went 2-1 up I did have a please don’t give us that Norwich game in reverse from all those years back with 2 games left, that was only a brief thought though.

Bournemouth have always looked quick in attack, and no wonder Ralph changed things at HT, from my seat the hole in the middle of the centre backs with Yoshi missing looked big enough to sail not one but 2 cruise ships through.

Must have been a tiring game for Bournemouth players as they seemed to have the need to lay down on the pitch whenever the chance arose.........and as we saw in the first half whenever they felt like it.

We so need to stop gifting the oppos chances with sloppy balls cut that out alone and Ralph’s early season 40 target can come up much sooner than planned next year, no wonder with knowing Cardiff were losing we were fannying about in the corner it kept the ball as far away from our goal and far enough to negate any brain fart mispasses.

Very pleasing to see Valery develop into a good player before our eyes, he has a bright future in the game especially when he tidies up his defensive work in his corner of the pitch, Ake certainly didn’t like it when he ran at him, and what a great bit of work to cross the ball over for Matty Targett to score a cracking header to open his Saints goal scoring account, as Blackmore said to him on Solent he scored the goal that kept us up! (Few haters won’t like that) With him being a Saints fan too, I’ll give him that.........to top that Matty goes in the book as the 1000th Premier League goal scorer of the season!

Also pleased to see JWP’s development under Ralph, and that was a sweet strike for his goal, just needs to give Redmond a few tips on composure....................Hey this new Irish lad we have had playing for us these last few weeks looks to have goals in him and a bit useful, shame he missed that sitter.

Someone please screw Ralph’s feet to the Southampton carpet.

You do talk some ******** dont you ?

You do realise we, under RH, have taken 29 points out of 20 games so if that had been repeated over a full season we would have gained somewhere between 56 - 60 points.

Thats hardly because of poor performance of rivals :uhoh:

Au contraire mon amis, c'est vous qui parle B&ll&ks! Your reply has nothing to do with what I wrote.

He’d be perfect for us, would love to get him but expect he’ll do better than us now and cost £30m Quick, strong, good finisher, cost c £3m FFS, they are there if you look hard enough.

Agreed, he would fit our system perfectly, as would King, Brooks and Fraser. Have to coach them not to fall over at the merest contact though.

Au contraire mon amis, c'est vous qui parle B&ll&ks! Your reply has nothing to do with what I wrote.

I thought that he answered your points perfectly and gave you more respect than you deserve.

Are you sure that you are not getting a little grumpy because your beloved Arsenal are cocking things up big time under their wonderful new manager??

Weird game really, but a proper entertaining end of season fare. Nothing to really play for, but flaws of both sides out on full show!

We started so well, pressed, harried, first to the second balls, getting in behind numerous times and playing in between the lines. Their midfield were just too slow in the opening stages and we were just 'on it' - just not clinical enough, we should have been 2 or 3 up based on that first 20 or so mins.

Bournemouth’s goal was a breakaway and came from absolutely nowhere in terms of the pattern of play, but it was poor defending and highlighted the real issue through the core of the side - a lack of pace. We wilted after that, similar to what we did in the first half of the season - and Bournemouth were on top for the rest of that half and deserved to go in ahead, no doubts about it.

2nd half he changed it, pushed the full backs further forward (with the introduction of Targett) and it helped - we stretched them more and got down the sides more, JWP was picking up space in the middle as illustrated by his very clean finish. It was a bit frantic for a while, but Valery did exactly what we wanted the full backs to do - advance the play and provide the width, and Targett did the same from the left.

Thought we'd close it out, especially when Bournemouth had to lose another couple of players. But another one of Ross Wilson's masterstroke signings, Armstrong, came up with the goods. He's done this before in the dying embers of games (giving away penalties). Absolutely brainless and that just sums him up really, need to dump him back to Scotland, hopefully with Ross.

Overall, an entertaining game, frantic and full of both teams’ problems - defending. Hopefully the last game we'll see from Stephens, for all his technical ability and smoothness on the ball at times, as an out and out defender he is absolutely disgusting. Not going to go anywhere with him on the pitch, needs shipping out - don't want the possibility of him being near the squad next year, if he is then we’ve got problems and Ralph has been let down.

Ings was poor, touch was poor, looked heavy in his movement and not very dynamic. Slow to get the ball away and slow to get a shot off - needs to improve massively for me, otherwise he's a big waste of money.

Let's just draw a line under this season anyway, hopefully the last we'll see from a few of the 'stalwarts' of the last couple of years - and we can start a fresh with some players of genuine ability with a manager who knows what to do with them.

Armstrong lol. **** me that pathetic bit of ‘football’ that led to the 3rd goal.

He's done pathetic stuff like that before. Really don't rate him, doesn't offer a thing.

He was in a team beaten by Kazakhstan, so that really says it all

Weird game really, but a proper entertaining end of season fare. Nothing to really play for, but flaws of both sides out on full show!

We started so well, pressed, harried, first to the second balls, getting in behind numerous times and playing in between the lines. Their midfield were just too slow in the opening stages and we were just 'on it' - just not clinical enough, we should have been 2 or 3 up based on that first 20 or so mins.

Bournemouth’s goal was a breakaway and came from absolutely nowhere in terms of the pattern of play, but it was poor defending and highlighted the real issue through the core of the side - a lack of pace. We wilted after that, similar to what we did in the first half of the season - and Bournemouth were on top for the rest of that half and deserved to go in ahead, no doubts about it.

2nd half he changed it, pushed the full backs further forward (with the introduction of Targett) and it helped - we stretched them more and got down the sides more, JWP was picking up space in the middle as illustrated by his very clean finish. It was a bit frantic for a while, but Valery did exactly what we wanted the full backs to do - advance the play and provide the width, and Targett did the same from the left.

Thought we'd close it out, especially when Bournemouth had to lose another couple of players. But another one of Ross Wilson's masterstroke signings, Armstrong, came up with the goods. He's done this before in the dying embers of games (giving away penalties). Absolutely brainless and that just sums him up really, need to dump him back to Scotland, hopefully with Ross.

Overall, an entertaining game, frantic and full of both teams’ problems - defending. Hopefully the last game we'll see from Stephens, for all his technical ability and smoothness on the ball at times, as an out and out defender he is absolutely disgusting. Not going to go anywhere with him on the pitch, needs shipping out - don't want the possibility of him being near the squad next year, if he is then we’ve got problems and Ralph has been let down.

Ings was poor, touch was poor, looked heavy in his movement and not very dynamic. Slow to get the ball away and slow to get a shot off - needs to improve massively for me, otherwise he's a big waste of money.

Let's just draw a line under this season anyway, hopefully the last we'll see from a few of the 'stalwarts' of the last couple of years - and we can start a fresh with some players of genuine ability with a manager who knows what to do with them.

If you watch back Ings was part of pretty much all the chances we ceeated in the first 20mins - great vision.

Also a good contribution for the 3rd goal.

Sure he isnt fully up to speed but he is a creative player and if surrounded with mobility can be really good.

If you watch back Ings was part of pretty much all the chances we ceeated in the first 20mins - great vision.

Also a good contribution for the 3rd goal.

Sure he isnt fully up to speed but he is a creative player and if surrounded with mobility can be really good.

Agree, thought Ings had a decent game to be honest! In fact, attack wise everyone was pretty good. Yes there was the usual Shane Long open goal miss but we scored 3 and could have had several more. It's at the other end we need to focus most attention on in terms of improving in the summer (although accept we also need another striker due to Ings injury concerns).

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

The issue with Ings is his injury record. It's not that he isn't a decent player but his constant injuries suggest he will never reach his full potential every time he starts to find form and match fitness he gets injuries again. The price we are paying for him would be a good price if we where getting a full season of games out of him it's not so good if we are only getting a third of a stop start season out of him. Let's hope next season he stays fit history isn't on his side though..

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

He's done pathetic stuff like that before. Really don't rate him, doesn't offer a thing.

He was in a team beaten by Kazakhstan, so that really says it all

Hmmm I've quite liked him as an attacking option. He has always been quite direct, has a bit of pace (surprisingly) and has a good shot on him (and isn't afraid to shoot). However this was more noticable in the earlier part of the season when the rest of the team were all playing super cautiously. Now everyone is playing with a bit more confidence Armstrong doesn't necessarily stand out.

I appreciate however that even attacking players have to be responsible when it comes to defending and it's no use having someone who is a liability and costs a goal every few games. Is that something that can be coached out/improved? Not sure, both United penalty (even though Rashford played for it) and Saturday was Armstrong being overzealous in his play. Seem to remember the Wolves one was him being weak/not committed (he was also pretty weak for the incident on Saturday).

Ings is probably a good example of our change after RH - he arrived from Liverpool match fit after a pre season there, and started the season looking very sharp.

The Hughes lethargy in training kicked in mid season, and he got the injury.

Now he is getting back to his best.

Ings is probably a good example of our change after RH - he arrived from Liverpool match fit after a pre season there, and started the season looking very sharp.

The Hughes lethargy in training kicked in mid season, and he got the injury.

Now he is getting back to his best.

It’s easy to blame Hughes for things like that but I think this is just Ings being a walking sick note. He just happened to be fit for a few weeks when we bizarrely agreed to pay £20m for him. He would have been injured under any manager and will continue to be so under Ralph.

Anyone think that Danny Ings is really an old fashioned inside right who would fit in well with a big target man.

Since Pelle left we have no real presence in the opponents box nor an outlet when the keeper has to kick from hand or goal kicks

Funnilly enough, this is where he played for Burnley in the Championship (when Austen was there) and also where he played for Bournemouth - never an out and out forward.