Saints 3-3 Bournemouth - Reaction

Lighthouse

Safety and still Huddersfield at home to come. Shame we didn't win, i still feel looking at the goal differences that we could finish above Burnley. If you'd offered me 15th after the Hughes regime, I'd have torn your arm off for it.

Summer rebuild starts now, the sooner the better but most importantly...

...FFS KEEP RALPH HASENHUTTL!

We are staying up. Happy with that. Relieved with that. Estastic with that!

Ralph has turned us around. Not fully, but by utilising players that were wasting away in the reserves, and shipping out bad influences, we are markedly improved.

The next two weeks are going to be really boring aren't they! Haha i don't care. Now we can start planning for the summer.

Here's to next season. May our points be plentiful and our nuns be lucky. videoblocks-bad-nun-drinks-alcohol-and-smokes_hbhulagw_thumbnail-full01.png

Amazed by the negativity. To have stayed up with two games to spare given where we were is magnificent. We’ve secured some huge wins along the way. At times we attack like a top half team. A decent pre season and some shrewd recruitment and we can concentrate on looking upwards.

Annoying we didn’t win but mathematically safe and keeping the unbeaten record against Bournemouth at St Marys makes it a pretty good day all told.

Have we lost to them at Dean Court in the PL yet? I thought we were unbeaten against them full stop, but maybe I've forgotten a match.

We are staying up. Happy with that. Relieved with that. Estastic with that!

Ralph has turned us around. Not fully, but by utilising players that were wasting away in the reserves, and shipping out bad influences, we are markedly improved.

The next two weeks are going to be really boring aren't they! Haha i don't care. Now we can start planning for the summer.

Here's to next season. May our points be plentiful and our nuns be lucky.

All good valid points, but nun not sexy enough so that was a poor post. Please try harder.

Feels like 2 points dropped and a humiliation to me.

Never beaten at home by Bournemouth and had the chance to go above them to 14th.

Wasted so many chances to score and put the game to bed even in the first 20 minutes.

Ahead in the game twice and we couldn't see it out.

Spent the last 5 minutes taking the ball to the corner....and couldn't even do that properly as it soon went for a goal kick each time.

Roll on next season cos I've had more than enough of this one.

Little old Bournemouth were ****ing themselves at HT with the thought of beating us, although could have possibly been due to their age. Proper weird support they have. Still they can’t though, bless them.

Our season summed up in one game really. Glad it’s over, role on next season. Hassanhuttl is brilliant and we’ll be much better.

Thank you, Fulham!

Well, we got it done - somehow - with two games to spare. All credit to Hasenhuttl for keeping that rabble up. We'll be in the exact same trouble next season unless major changes are made - a few "tweaks" aren't going to solve our deficiencies.

Personally, I'd get shot of all our centre backs - not a PL player between them. Obviously that's not going to happen. A holding midfielder with more mobility than an asthmatic slug with a limp is also an essential change.

Is there any way to get out of the Ings deal? Can we Escape to Victory him, like they did with the keeper so Rocky could take over in nets; return him to Liverpool because he's broken.

Good game from Redmond in front of the England manager. If he's looking for a lad who cuts inside and blazes the ball 30 yards high and wide every time, he's a shoo in.

Come on, Newcastle - keep Brighton down there. They're appalling to watch: the league won't miss them.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Wow! Amazes me what some people see. "Not a PL player between them" referring to our CBs. Baffling comment!

This dude above clearly doesn't rate the young JB who has been solid and made very few mistakes since playing his 21 consecutive PL matches under Ralph. Nor JV who, after a dodgy start, has steadily improved and has clearly been missed in recent matches. Nor Yoshida, who has been consistent, steady and reliable since being frozen out in the first part of the season. Not to mention his excellent mentality and wanting to stay with us when he could be earning a fortune abroad. Stephens, I won't go into.

Apparently, all these guys wouldn't make a PL CB between them. Can this user explain/justify his thinking, please?

Thank you, Fulham!

Well, we got it done - somehow - with two games to spare. All credit to Hasenhuttl for keeping that rabble up. We'll be in the exact same trouble next season unless major changes are made - a few "tweaks" aren't going to solve our deficiencies.

Personally, I'd get shot of all our centre backs - not a PL player between them. Obviously that's not going to happen. A holding midfielder with more mobility than an asthmatic slug with a limp is also an essential change.

Is there any way to get out of the Ings deal? Can we Escape to Victory him, like they did with the keeper so Rocky could take over in nets; return him to Liverpool because he's broken.

Good game from Redmond in front of the England manager. If he's looking for a lad who cuts inside and blazes the ball 30 yards high and wide every time, he's a shoo in.

Come on, Newcastle - keep Brighton down there. They're appalling to watch: the league won't miss them.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Accurate post,however regarding the first three paragraphs,I fear we may well be disappointed.

Amazed by the negativity. To have stayed up with two games to spare given where we were is magnificent. We’ve secured some huge wins along the way. At times we attack like a top half team. A decent pre season and some shrewd recruitment and we can concentrate on looking upwards.

We do - but we finish like a blind man in a storm. How many chances do we actually need in order to convert one - bloody loads.

Good game, with terrible defending but not unexpected given the lineups.

Job done from Hasenhuttl and he has also seen exactly what our issues are in, and they were on display here as well.

The hard work to reshape the squad starts now and has to be successsful.

Thought Valery was excellent today, great assist for Targett and he has really improved. Should remain a starter next season.

Delighted to be staying up and so impressed with Hasenhüttl - can't wait to see what he does over the summer.

However ...

Conceding three goals by the same player at Newcastle (with Yoshi in the team) and nearly doing so again today (with Yoshi out) suggests that there is something seriously wrong - not just with the quality of our defenders but also with our defensive set up and tactics.

Hat tricks are rare these days but to nearly concede two in three games is shocking.

Definitely have no recollection of that one. Interesting comment in the article though, "Saints will need to play like champions for the rest of the season to match their 60-point tally of 2014/15." :)

Wow! Amazes me what some people see. "Not a PL player between them" referring to our CBs. Baffling comment!

This dude above clearly doesn't rate the young JB who has been solid and made very few mistakes since playing his 21 consecutive PL matches under Ralph. Nor JV who, after a dodgy start, has steadily improved and has clearly been missed in recent matches. Nor Yoshida, who has been consistent, steady and reliable since being frozen out in the first part of the season. Not to mention his excellent mentality and wanting to stay with us when he could be earning a fortune abroad. Stephens, I won't go into.

Apparently, all these guys wouldn't make a PL CB between them. Can this user explain/justify his thinking, please?

He's absolutely right. We need a massive upgrade at CB, otherwise we can look forward to another season of throwing away record numbers of points. JB is worth keeping, but the rest are pretty toss.

Valery was ****ing brilliant I thought, how on earth did Cedric keep him out of the team for so long. Prowsey also excellent, and congratulations to Shane Long for completely transforming his form of the last couple of years and being back to being a real (unrefined) pain in the arse for the opposition, really pleased for him. A game that completely summed us up this season, the first 20 minutes was as good as i’ve seen us play in years, we were incredible, they didn’t leave their half until the goal. Hey ho, we did it, we go again next year.

Thought Valery was excellent today, great assist for Targett and he has really improved. Should remain a starter next season.

Indeed. Kudos to Hassenhuttl for putting his faith in Valery and shipping out Cedric, amidst some angst from a few on here...

JB is nowhere near as good as his hype actually.

So is it tactics or players, defensively. And is it just the defenders who are at fault, or also our midfielders?

We need to ship out a few, for sure, including Stephens(!)

Ultimately I feel we need to bring in a strong defensive midfielder to give Romeu a contest and ultimately try and edge him out. We also need a reliable centre back! Our centre backs have some brilliant positives about them, but are far too prone to lapses in concentration; a seriously problematic trait in their role!!

Don't even get me started on our strikers! Long is so hot and cold he beggars belief and Ings isn't up to much. Austin runs in treacle and Gallagher isn't doing enough to earn even a few minutes on the pitch....

I really hope we see some determined action in the summer as our squad is bereft of quality

Anyone feel this comment from Ralph is little underwhelming?

"This summer we will rebuild. We can start planning for next year tomorrow and the target is to get 40 points [next season] earlier than this year. A bit less stress would be nice.

Yes clear of relegation would be great but surely we have to aim a bit higher, even if we miss it?

"This summer we will rebuild. We can start planning for next year tomorrow and the target is to get 40 points [next season] earlier than this year. A bit less stress would be nice.

Yes clear of relegation would be great but surely we have to aim a bit higher, even if we miss it?

Massively underwhelming but what can you expect given the backing he will receive?

I'm happy with a dose of pragmatism. Most, if not all, teams outside the Top 6 get to 40 points relatively late in the season, so stating that's our aim is no different to saying "we're aiming to finish 7th" in reality.

Not really, he's saying he wants to get to 40 points BEFORE we did it this time. Not that he wants to get 40 points next season.

Nothing underwhelming, he wants to get to 40 points much quicker than we did this season. For a mid table club that's pretty normal I suspect.

Indeed. Kudos to Hassenhuttl for putting his faith in Valery and shipping out Cedric, amidst some angst from a few on here...

Angst?? I think that is a bit of an understatement. Remember "dead wood?"

More like a bed wetting torrent. I am just surprised that we didn't lose one or two supporters through drowning.

Examples of this "hype"?

Most posts I've seen describe him as a good prospect who has improved considerably under RH as the season has progressed.

Bednerak is 22, and has 24 PL appearances to his name and barely 80 games in professional football full stop, in a position that generally needs time to learn.

He is going to have bad games as he is learning and needs more experience. But he has been excellent IMO since coming into the team, plus he had Stephens next to him today, who is just not as good, partnerships are important.

Important player for us next season as I reckon he'll just get better, but people need to temper their expectations, he is not going to be the new Van Dijk overnight.

To me saying that sort sets out a target of just staying up comfortably and potentially creates a 'Charlton' who just got to 40 points each year and then pretty much downed tools.

Hope I am wrong, but I hope the ambitions for the club are higher than just comfortably avoiding relegation as if that is all the target is, then how much investment in the squad will happen.

We potentially could be in a good place again next year, a top manager, some good young improving players to build the squad around, but lack of investment will just throw the chance away.

Weird game which could have been any score. Great save by Gunn at the end from Wilson to secure a point. Thought Valery had a storming game and Ward Prowse was everywhere.

Really looking forward to next season, reckon we will be in for a lot of exciting games.

To me saying that sort sets out a target of just staying up comfortably and potentially creates a 'Charlton' who just got to 40 points each year and then pretty much downed tools.

Hope I am wrong, but I hope the ambitions for the club are higher than just comfortably avoiding relegation as if that is all the target is, then how much investment in the squad will happen.

We potentially could be in a good place again next year, a top manager, some good young improving players to build the squad around, but lack of investment will just throw the chance away.

Does RH give the impression of a manager with little ambition?

If he means 40 points by the mid point of the season I have no problem with that statement. ;)

Also bear in mind that we have to try and compensate for players who we are already committed to buying (Ings, 20million), and the targets i mentioned in January who we bid for but did not buy, most notably Joakim Maehle and Che Adams, are now known publicly and their price will no doubt have gone up. Indecently, Birmingham's gamble in taking the points deduction after rejecting multiple bids has paid off handsomely.

We have Loan players coming back to ship out again. We have 'squad' players who need to become part of another team's squad.

But that is for another day. I'm off for many, many drinks. Evening all!

Just back.

Assume Yoshi was ill as not in the match day squad.

RH mentioned on the radio we were 5 points below Cardiff after we lost there, we are now 7 above them.

With an RH pre season and a few new players hopefully we can leave all these mistakes behind and have a mid table season with a cup run, just like before Puel arrived and killed the spirit.

"The south coast is Bournemouth's"....

We've had a pathetic season and they've had their plaudits all season, calling it a "great" one, yet there's just four points between the two sides and the possibility of us still finishing above them.

Levels.