Saints Greatest XI - Dave Watson's B-Team CB Partner

St Landrew

Choose Between Claus And Dean.  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Choose Between Claus And Dean.

• Claus Lundekvam
    • Dean Richards

Yes, there's been a tie. I've been wondering if it would happen, and I suppose it was bound to in the slightly minor area of equal 4th place. Dave Watson needs his CB partner. So, all those that have voted before, for other players, let's vote again to decide this one. There's a few stats to help you make up your mind.

Silky - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claus_Lundekvam

Deano - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_Richards_(footballer)

Once again, let me remind you. Vote for the player you believe to have been of higher quality, in terms of effective performance and contribution to the team. Put aside any legendary cult status please. That's for another poll, another time.

Voting ends tomorrow at 3pm

Edited by St Landrew

Deano. Despite the whole Spurs affair and Claus's long service to the club, I think it's fair to say Deano was better.

Deano's record when not at Saints?

And also the concept that Claus made his CB partner look better through his own quality?

My own thoughts are that Claus is oft underated for this...

For these reasons he gets my vote...

This is a toughie. Both are great defenders, and are very different in style. Both would ably perform in any great Saints team with the right partner. Claus's perfect partner was Michael Svensson, and Dean Richards never looked better than when he played alongside Claus. It's possible Deano's style might suit Dave Watson better, but we're not concerned with players fitting a team, at this moment. We're voting for best individuals. This is our Gerrard and Lampard dilemma.

I'm going for Claus. 40 caps for Norway is a huge statement about his quality, and no other Norwegian has played anywhere near so many top level matches in the English game. He just edges it for me.

Dave Watson was a big ball winning, fairly mobile, centre half, who went for most of the aerial challenges. Claus was mobile and more of a secondary sweeping centre half, I think they would complement each other. Dave Watson whilst stll an international, probably had his best years before joining Saints.

Deano. As peed off as we all were about his transfer to Spurs, I don't blame him. I was more annoyed at Hoddle who buggered off and then signed him.

You can't ignore that fact we made £8 million for him, and that he was a free transfer when we got him, and that he put in some good performances and solidified our defence.

Claus had his knockers in our relegation season, but as many people have said before, he was never the dominant centre-back. A good 10 years service, but Richards was better.

Dean Richards without a shadow of doubt. Claus was a decent player but he was always at his best with a more gifted, gutsy centre-back along side him and Richards was that defender.

Dont get me wrong, Cluas is a legend. At his best, he could have gone on to bigger things but remained loyal but Dean Richards was quality. Despite the circumstances in which he left in.

Thanks for your votes, people. Claus has done it by a huge margin. Can't say he was that much better, if at all, but then we could have all agreed, and he could have strolled it with not a vote against him. Perhaps Deano will be on the subs bench. Pop along here http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=5823 to see the line ups so far.

Edited by St Landrew