West Ham v Saints - Build-up

SuperSAINT

Yep, it's a no brainer. McCarthy won't take the gloves off Gunn. Neither will Forster. McCarthy has value. Forster doesn't, and is costing a fortune.

Agree with this. Obviously might not happen if Fraser is wobbly, but I imagine there would be a lot more suitors for Alex.

Only just got called up to England, younger & fresher in peoples minds.

I hope Macca only moves onto playing 1st team football. Would be sad if he goes to sit on a bench somewhere.

This is it. Ralph knows he is unlikely to be able to shift Forster in the summer with the contract he is on, so he will use these couple of games to gauge whether he can be relied upon sufficiently to be No2 to Gunn next season. If he thinks he can, it would help Ralph as could potentially get some cash in from McCarthy that can be reinvested elsewhere without needing another keeper.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

And what if the experiment proves that "FF CAN'T be relied upon"? Then we can't find a buyer for Forster, and we need to keep Macca as #2 to Gunn. That supposes Macca will want to stay and play 2nd fiddle. He was our #1 and may want to be #1 elsewhere. If he goes, we are likely to have to spend a few million on another keeper. Unless the #3 GK is ready to step up to be #2??

Jesus Christ people make some stupid posts on this forum.

He's a professional footballer who has played for England and played in the Champions League for Celtic, IIRC the guy has a clean sheet at the Nou Camp. He's also had some superb performances for us and earned us points on his own.

You are making out like we are playing the kit man in goal or something.

The guy at least deserves a chance to see if he is not completely shot of confidence. I am sure if Ralph is considering playing him then he has seen enough to warrant that and I trust his judgement.

Watch his ‘highlights’ reel from his Celtic days. He saves nothing. Everything basically hits him. That’s his highlights. He lacks the basic fundamentals of being a top four division keeper, let alone a team with aspirations to be ‘best of the rest’ in the top league

I think Forster's only real problems as a keeper are a tendency to stay on his line for far too long, poor distribution with either foot and lack of a long throw out, hesitancy in catching any crosses that are either driven or floated, that he's a slow to get down to shots, and that he normally gets beaten by anything on target from within 35 yards of his goal that's hit with any power.

Apart from those slight issues he's excellent.

Watch his ‘highlights’ reel from his Celtic days. He saves nothing. Everything basically hits him. That’s his highlights. He lacks the basic fundamentals of being a top four division keeper, let alone a team with aspirations to be ‘best of the rest’ in the top league

That was most of his saves for us too. I genuinely can't remember him ever diving to make a save. Apart from maybe the the LC Semi at Anfield but that all came about from HIS mistake!

Maybe better to give FF a runout v Huddersfield at home where he should : a) be less busy b) have less chance to lose us the match c) give him a bit more confidence !

WHU could tear him to shreds and kill any prospect of us selling him at all !!

Maybe better to give FF a runout v Huddersfield at home where he should : a) be less busy b) have less chance to lose us the match c) give him a bit more confidence !

WHU could tear him to shreds and kill any prospect of us selling him at all !!

Maybe better to give FF a runout v Huddersfield at home where he should : a) be less busy b) have less chance to lose us the match c) give him a bit more confidence

The reason he's playing in an away fixture is likely because some of our more dopey 'supporters' will have less of an impact with their booing and ridiculing at his first wobble.

Those same dopey ****s have proven their f*ckwittery already this season with Redmond, Long and Prowsey. If ever a player needed his confidence rebuilding....

No Vest or Yoshi so I think Targett to come in and Bertrand to slot into back 3. Lemina to start. Can't see the point in picking Forster for the sake of it.

I'd go:

Gunn

Bednarek

Bertrand

Stephens

Valery

Lemina

Hojbjerg

Targett

JWP

Redmond

Ings

No Vest or Yoshi so I think Targett to come in and Bertrand to slot into back 3. Lemina to start. Can't see the point in picking Forster for the sake of it.

I'd go:

Gunn

Bednarek

Bertrand

Stephens

Valery

Lemina

Hojbjerg

Targett

JWP

Redmond

Ings

That looks a decent bet to me, though with Bertrand on the left and Stephens in the middle. We saw how a back four went without Maya and vesti last week and (despite the greater attacking threat) it wasn't pretty. Ramsay is the only other option, having missed last night I think he must be in the plans for the squad today, if not the starting 11.

I know Ralph said about 1 or 2 opportunities for younger players, but with the play-offs it means Jones, Johnson and Vokins won't feature - don't think any others might have been considered ready even without the clash of games, although o'connor looks a very interesting prospect. Our Declan rice in a year or so?

I Suspect slattery and sims will feature at some point today. Not sure about Gallagher, think Ralph has already made his mind up on him. And think lemina should play the majority of today and next weekend IMHO.

That looks a decent bet to me, though with Bertrand on the left and Stephens in the middle. We saw how a back four went without Maya and vesti last week and (despite the greater attacking threat) it wasn't pretty. Ramsay is the only other option, having missed last night I think he must be in the plans for the squad today, if not the starting 11.

I know Ralph said about 1 or 2 opportunities for younger players, but with the play-offs it means Jones, Johnson and Vokins won't feature - don't think any others might have been considered ready even without the clash of games, although o'connor looks a very interesting prospect. Our Declan rice in a year or so?

I Suspect slattery and sims will feature at some point today. Not sure about Gallagher, think Ralph has already made his mind up on him. And think lemina should play the majority of today and next weekend IMHO.

Slattery won't be playing he did 90 mins last night. Might see Ramsey though as he was the one missing last night I think.

Slattery won't be playing he did 90 mins last night. Might see Ramsey though as he was the one missing last night I think.

Ok, many thanks, I missed that. In which case you're right he won't feature.

Obviously be excellent to get the academy team promoted, but a bit of a shame we now have two crucial games for them clashing with games we could offer a chance of playing in. On balance think it's right to prioritise the play offs for the young fringe players.

If targett does start and we play a back three we'll have a very offensive bench! If the team above was correct it would leave 6 from Ramsay, Romeu, Armstrong, Ely, long, Austin, sims and Gallagher I think. Guess Ely and Gallagher would miss out from those?

Some of the posts about Forster have been completely over the top. Yes he was poor for us for a long time and deservedly got dropped but he's not incompetent, and if he's worked hard in training to improve his game and has got his confidence back then good for him.

I guess if he wants to have a look at Ramsey then he could play instead of Valery or Stephens.

I agree about Gallagher. If he was rated he would have had more game time by now. I think the striking plan for next season is:

Long

Ings

Obafemi

[New]

Some of the posts about Forster have been completely over the top. Yes he was poor for us for a long time and deservedly got dropped but he's not incompetent, and if he's worked hard in training to improve his game and has got his confidence back then good for him.

His head’s gone.

Agreed really.

I think some people are being slightly harsh.

He was generally an above average keeper I would say in the 2014-15 and 2015-16 season- including one incredible month where he was given Player of the Month (the last GK to win that mind!), and even broke our clean sheet record. Of course, having an excellent defence and midfield in front of him helped propel his ability further. Might I also add that in the 2014-15 season, we only went on to win 2 of our last 8 games after Forster got injured against Burnley and we had to have Kelvin Davis in goal!

2016-17 was where more of his deficiencies were exposed understandably, and he turned, let's say average. 2017-18 was terrible really, and that's what sticks in everyones mind.

No one complained about the 2016 contract extension, as he was actually fairly involved in our success. 2017 was a mistake to offer him a new one of course

For a big guy, Forster has never commanded his area particularly well and he's always been very slow to come off his line.

He wasn't too bad when he had an excellent defence and midfield to cover for his shortcomings, but after we lost Van Dijk to injury Forster was exposed as very, very poor.

The opposition started hitting more hopeful long shots around about then and I can't remember him getting anywhere near any of them if they had any power behind them at all.

I'll still support him when he plays for us, and there's no way that I'd sarcastically cheer him or have a go at him, but unless the break has given him time to work on his shortcomings and confidence and he actually starts trying to show for crosses or close the angle if a player is running through he'll never be a particularly good keeper.

Fraser Forster is a League One keeper, at best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

League One keeper don't play for England. Let us hope he is recovering from whatever causes the crisis in his form, whether he returns to being a viable alternative or simply good enough that he is an attractive option for another side it is no-one's interest that he continues as he has.

Slattery got 75mins under his belt last night so if he does feature I can't see it being for long.

His head’s gone.

No idea what that is supposed to mean? If people keep telling a kid that he's bad and no good, guess what? He ends up being bad and no good!

Fraser Forster should get away from here as fast as possible and build his career again elsewhere.

League One keeper don't play for England. Let us hope he is recovering from whatever causes the crisis in his form, whether he returns to being a viable alternative or simply good enough that he is an attractive option for another side it is no-one's interest that he continues as he has.

I don't think you can recover from being genuinely sh1te.

Crazy that, redmond, jwp, romeu, Gunn all dropped yet still no youth getting a chance.

Forster

Valery Bednarek Stephens bertrand

Armstrong lemina Hoj Elyounoussi

Ings long

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

Last chance for Moi and Forster. Suspect it’s too late for Stephens.

Clear that we will be going into next season playing 4222.

Can’t see a win in this one, comfortable 2-0 West Ham.

Shame I was hoping gallagher would be given one last chance saloon start to try and impress

I think we now know we've seen the last of him, and to me it makes sense. He's a saleable asset but not first team material.

Dear god that team why? I know where safe but we should be looking to finish the season as strong as possible. Another place or two in the table is worth a fair bit of money and I can see no point in giving some of those players time on the pitch when the clearly have no future here. Also what's this clamour to play 4-2-2-2 we look much better with three at the back. bit disappointed with that team selection :(