Ticket prices 19/20 season

Shroppie

Just took a look at these. Having a ST I'm not really in touch but £65 for seats around me in Kingsland North for Cat A" and A games seems steep. Is that as big an increase as it feels?

I'll accept there is quite a big differential around the ground.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Agree that the price rise is crazy especially considering the quality of football for the last few years. Big fan of the new 18-25 price bracket - I'm just in that for next season!

The A* band really is a p1ss-take, £50 for behind the goals or Northan/Kingsland corner.

What will form an A* game, Liverpool, Man Utd ? Boxing Day, last game of the season ?

That'll destroy any atmosphere.

The A* band really is a p1ss-take, £50 for behind the goals or Northan/Kingsland corner.

That'll destroy any atmosphere.

Agree that the price rise is crazy especially considering the quality of football for the last few years. Big fan of the new 18-25 price bracket - I'm just in that for next season!

Maybe it won't destroy the atmosphere then. Just make it more expensive for an old f^cker like me to enjoy it though...

Cashing in on what will be a good season next term. Joke club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thought/hoped you weren't posting any more. Or was that just made-up transfer non-news? I struggle to keep up with your personae and proclamations.

I doubt the price hike is on the basis of expectations, more likely a marketing strategy to sell more season tickets which are now at an attractive differential per game.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

There is a new ticket office manager !

Some of the pricing is just bonkers but if people are paying and those areas get sold out straight way then its 'job done' in the ticket office.

But i wouldnt be surprised if these centre block prices are to compensate for the cheaper season tickets esp in the itchen corner.

In my eyes the pricing and cateogries simply should remain the same from around four seasons ago.

To be honest i hate the games against top 6 clubs where you get tons of day trippers at St Mary's, so might as well charge them a fortune and reward fans who turn up for mess popular games like Burnley etc with cheaper tickets. Adult £20 price for C games should be applauded, just hope we have at least 5 games categorised as C.

The "premium " - £65 seats. To be honest there are very few of those sold on a match by match basis, those areas are heavily dominated by season ticket holders.

Club defo trying to push ST's. Some of those prices are eye watering but the CAT C prices are good value. Will be interesting to see which teams fit into which catergory. I can see Cat B games struggling to sell (Prob teams like West Ham, Everton etc.

overall though I think the club are taking the p1ss.

I'm in Kingsland Premium and ST renewed at same price as last year.

To give a slightly different view. I do buy the odd extra ticket when wanting to take friends over and above the 2 STs we have, and think that the difference between the average price per game on the ST, and the extra (non-ST) ticket makes you question why buy a ST?? I pay an already huge £737 for 19 games = £38.79 a game. Apart from Derby home game, I think the last one I bought was a £49 one for the Arsenal game, which I presume would now be £65 for the 19/20 season, either as a Cat A* or Cat A. I guess these new pricings incentivise buying a ST. But having said all that, all ticket prices are too expensive. and the other way of doing things could have been keeping non ST tickets the same price, and lowering the cost of a ST. But it would be naive to think that that would happen. At least they haven't brought in the ridiculous idea of paying up to £1500 for a ST as per that stupid questionnaire at the back of last year.

Club defo trying to push ST's. Some of those prices are eye watering but the CAT C prices are good value. Will be interesting to see which teams fit into which catergory. I can see Cat B games struggling to sell (Prob teams like West Ham, Everton etc.

overall though I think the club are taking the p1ss.

The overall "value" will depend on how many games are allocated to each category. The prices for A* and A are mental. The Category B and C prices are what most games should be priced at.

I'm not sure how the numbers stack up in terms of what the club claims you can save by having a season ticket - they claim that an adult will save on average £250 (more than £360 in premium areas), so if we assume that the "goals/wings" blocks are essentially the "average" price, with an adult renewal coming in at £530, that means we need to find total matchday pricing of £780. That's quite difficult without there being either very few Category C games, more Category A* and A games, or a combination of the two.

With the Championship playoff winner still unknown, we won't know exactly who we're playing next season for a few weeks yet, and there's probably a range of categories they'd fall under - you'd expect Leeds and Villa to be in a much higher category than West Brom, Derby, Middlesbrough or Bristol City. For the sake of argument, we'll put all three promoted teams into Category C, but this is likely to change with the aforementioned playoffs and when the fixtures are released. There's no way that the final game of the season will be Category C, for example, and the club surely won't luck out with having some of the least attractive games played midweek again, as was the case with Palace and Fulham.

So, assumption time, based on attractiveness of opposition:

Category A* (£50): Man City, Man United, Liverpool

Category A (£40): Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham

Category B (£35): Bournemouth, Brighton, Crystal Palace, Leicester, Newcastle, West Ham, Wolves

Category C (£25): Burnley, Norwich, Sheffield United, Watford, Playoff Winner

The total matchday price in the wings/goals for that arrangement is only £680, £100 short of the "average saving" the club is claiming, so obviously we're going to have to shift a few teams around.

Perhaps they deem the Bournemouth game as a bigger game, so bump that up into Category A. That's only £5 extra. Maybe Watford aren't unattractive enough to be Category C, so let's move them up. Another £10. Let's assume Leeds win the playoffs (given their abysmal playoff record, that's highly unlikely, but whatever...), they'd probably go straight into Category A, so that's another £15. I hope they're not looking at "big away following" as a metric to decide what category each game fits into, considering they'll all be paying £30 (or £25 for Cat C) regardless, so that means the likes of Newcastle, West Ham and Wolves wouldn't automatically be more attractive. Maybe Brighton goes up one, and then Spurs get bumped into A*, so that's another £15. So we've already moved 5 teams up a category, but only saved season ticket holders another £45 - still £55 short of what the club claims!

Let's look at the premium prices instead, where they claim "value extending to over £360 in premium areas". So a season ticket in the Itchen Premium is £759 for renewals, which means we need to find matchday pricing of at least £1,119. Using the same original category placement as above, that comes to £1,030 - £90 short. Making the changes as detailed, that alters to £1,085, still £35 short!

So despite the extra categories, it seems as if matchday prices must be skewed pretty heavily towards the top categories, because otherwise the savings that the club claim fans would make by buying a season ticket just aren't accurate.

Steve, are you factoring in fees? Web sales is £1 a game, so an extra £19 Not sure of "over the phone" extras.

same as online (is it a quid?). but sometimes I dont get charged for over the phone. Depends hwo answers the phone I think!

£20 to watch a cat C game in the Itchen South is good value.

It is...but £50+ to see the "big boys" is just ripping your fans off. Quite a few ppl I know have already said they won't bother by the big sides, just go to the lower priced games. No-one should have to pay more than £40 to watch football.

I go to St Mary's to watch Southampton play, not the other team, so it doesn't bother me too much about category A prices. In a way you could argue that all this does is increase the income that the club takes from fans of the top 6 ;-)

Steve, last home game of the season is usually Cat A.

But as for prices, I like to compare to other forms of entertainment, namely the Mayflower theatre. I am in Kinglsland Premium at just shy of £39 average per game. Now if you compare that to the price of a show, it is pretty much in line with them. I guess the difference is that I am buying 18 games worth, as opposed to going to the Mayflower 2 or 3 times a year (or less if I can avoid being dragged there by the Mrs).

Ah yes, from memory the cheapest Rolling Stones tickets at St Marys were £80, a great live show and without the angst of late goals by the opposition.

As I said, you buy 1 ticket to the Stones, and 18 to the Saints, hence why it seems so much more expensive.

It is...but £50+ to see the "big boys" is just ripping your fans off. Quite a few ppl I know have already said they won't bother by the big sides, just go to the lower priced games. No-one should have to pay more than £40 to watch football.

not a chance I would spend that sort of money for a league game. Cup final or Milan away, count me in, but £50+ to watch Saints vs Man City, no thanks

All away fans will pay a maximum of £30 next season. Including Saints fans we we travel away.

Next season is the 4th season of the £30 gap. It was for 3 seasons initially then extended this year. Its 'always' £30 though! clubs hardly ever charge less!