Gao

Shance

It's actually not really Gao's fault where we are minus the pathetic January transfer window we had.

He has bought into a club with a shockingly bloated and very average squad. Les Reed is the man that has ****ed this club for a good few years now. We were victims of our own success. Our model was to buy potential, unlock that potential and then sell at a high price but that bit us in the arse with players like Clyne and Wanyama as they all entered the last year of their contracts and went for a pennies compared to what they were probably worth at the time. Reed panicked and started chucking out ****ing laughable contracts to any players that were having a purple patch. Fraser Forster had not long signed a new deal but Les gave him a 5 year contract on 70k a ****ing week. 70k!!! Jack Stephens, I said from minute one he wasn't going to be good enough, he has a purple patch and Les gets all excited and gives him a MASSIVE contract. Mo, Les thought we've got a good player here so offered him a ****ing MASSIVE contract and now he can't be ****ed to play as he even said when he turned up that it had set him up for life.

We are in trouble atm for a good few years. If we can stay up for the next three seasons I think we'll see some investment in the squad and we'll be ok but it's going to be a **** few years. What a ****ing dip**** Les Reed is. It's all well and good blaming Kat but she inherited this club, Les is supposed to be a football man and should know better than to do what he's done the tit.

I don't think anyone blames Gao for the current squad.

The criticism of Gao is:

- failed the owners test initially

- seemed to struggle to raise the cash or to get cash out of China

- zero evidence of any sort of strategy

-zero engagement with UK fans

That's the problem with Gao.

I don't think anyone blames Gao for the current squad.

The criticism of Gao is:

- failed the owners test initially

- seemed to struggle to raise the cash or to get cash out of China

- zero evidence of any sort of strategy

-zero engagement with UK fans

That's the problem with Gao.

Yep. The real test will not be whilst we scrape by just about staying up, it will be at some point over the next few seasons when we finally get relegated and have to be financed properly to survive. Edited by hypochondriac

Reed is ultimately responsible but let's not airbrush the fact that plenty on here were calling for the club to give out longer contracts to stop players leaving. He was getting a kicking for letting players leave for Liverpool and put in place a strategy to try to stop them. It was just a really bad one as players will leave if they want to regardless of contracts

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer

This is what will happen....:

We will have a decent season next season, finish 6th t 10th.

Ralph will ask for Backing

Board won’t give it

Ralph will leave

As will any players that perform

2-3 seasons of juggling managers fighting to stay in the league

Find another “Ralph”

Repeat, maybe with the odd relegation.

This is the “Southampton way”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Board won’t give it

Ralph will leave

Find another “Ralph”

Could well be right but the same could be said for 30 or 40 teams in the top flights. It is modern day football for all but a handful of teams.

This is what will really happen:-

The Board will be reshaped.

The squad will be reshaped within our financial constraints.

We will finish midtable.

The usual suspects will continue to snipe at every decision made by the club.

This is what will really happen:-

The Board will be reshaped.

The squad will be reshaped within our financial constraints.

We will finish midtable.

The usual suspects will continue to snipe at every decision made by the club.

... And soggy will get on his high horse in order to feel morally superior to everyone he comes into contact with.

Thing is, to sustain the self-financing model, you have to be extremely strict, and always sell two years before a contract is up, no matter how much of a fan favorite they are (unless they aren't worth much and selling wouldn't yield the funds to buy a suitable younger replacement).

Les Reed/the club hierarchy screwed up when he started to act like he believed we were different - if you declare that you're going to run the club as a self-sustaining business, then you can't get distracted by sentiment or nebulous ideas like image or legacy.

... And soggy will get on his high horse in order to feel morally superior to everyone he comes into contact with.

To be fair, it is not difficult to be morally superior to far right supporters like you hypo.

Funny too that you ignore the others who post supposedly “morally superior” posts. I guess you are afraid that they will give you are harder time than I do.

To be fair, it is not difficult to be morally superior to far right supporters like you hypo.

Funny too that you ignore the others who post supposedly “morally superior” posts. I guess you are afraid that they will give you are harder time than I do.

No one posts in such a supercilious manner or with such lies like you do soggy. Didn't you have me on ignore? Surely that wasn't just another on of your complete lies? Edited by hypochondriac

I have no real idea about Gao and what agenda he has but one thing I do expect is us to struggle over the next two years while we recoup and recover from the shambolic way the club was run under Reed. I just hope RK keeps faith long enough.
Absolutely. It's not something that will be a quick fix.

I have no real idea about Gao and what agenda he has but one thing I do expect is us to struggle over the next two years while we recoup and recover from the shambolic way the club was run under Reed. I just hope RK keeps faith long enough.

1 year max, IMO.

RACIST!!!

Edit - sorry, forgot to login to my Sadoldgit account :o

Is soggy banging on about yoshida again?

Re. the OP, we should have a true picture of Goa's motives and plans by the end of this window - more than any five pledges or fan communication could ever provide. To date, he's been able to piggyback off the VVD sale and other trading in the transfer market. This time he's going to have put in his hand in his pocket if he truly wants to strengthen the squad.

Edited by shurlock

Board won’t give it

Ralph will leave

Find another “Ralph”

Who gave you that idea

I have no opinion on him. Honestly don't get the hate towards him.

Me neither, but curious as to why he bought the club in the first place though? Best I can assume was that he was trying appease the former views of the Chinese leader, but those changed after he bought us and so now left with a very unpopular gift (bit like paying a fortune for a "Jim will fix it" gold medal prior to discovering his hidden secrets - now no one wants to admit owning one let alone trying to sell it). All very strange.

Maybe Kat has some interesting photo's of him?

For me it’s not a matter of hate but more a concern that the new owner’s blown his wad buying the club and is now skint.

Really ? We've spent a lot of money since Gao bought the club, only trouble being that most of it was just simply wasted on crap.

Me neither, but curious as to why he bought the club in the first place though? Best I can assume was that he was trying appease the former views of the Chinese leader, but those changed after he bought us and so now left with a very unpopular gift (bit like paying a fortune for a "Jim will fix it" gold medal prior to discovering his hidden secrets - now no one wants to admit owning one let alone trying to sell it). All very strange.

Maybe Kat has some interesting photo's of him?

I'm pretty sure the Chinese govt policy towards foreign sporting acquisitions had already changed before the deal went through. Gao pushed ahead anyway, using loan financing from HK rather than his mainland assets, which were restricted by the govt change of heart.

To me, this cements the idea that it was less about trying to fit in with regime policy, and more about trying to transfer wealth out of China and into a more secure European regulatory environment.

Nothing that's happened to Lander or Gao since the takeover (massive crash in stock value & net worth, effective takeover by state controlled funds) suggests much reason for optimism. The club may not be milked for debt payback yet (perhaps because our PL status has been so precarious since the takeover) but that doesn't mean we don't have that to look forward to, just like almost every other debt-acquired club in Europe.

Really ? We've spent a lot of money since Gao bought the club, only trouble being that most of it was just simply wasted on crap.

Yes really. You’re principally describing the money wasted by the club when its transfer budget was bloated with the VVD sale proceeds, not with any money invested by Gao to bring the club to the next level.

If the club is competently run, player salaries are reasonable once we get rid of overpaid hard-to-move assets like Hoedt, Carrillo and Moi, and we still have an excellent first team coach like Hasenhüttl, it should hopefully be OK but Gao will not be a good man in a storm, and he could potentially create a storm or two himself if he decides to use the club’s revenue to repay the debt he incurred in acquiring it.

Some communication from him would be a bonus, I have never felt so in the dark as far as saints are concerned as I do now, I couldn't even tell you who calls the shots.

Does it really matter as long as the shots are good? Since Gao took over, Les has been sacked and whoever is calling the shots hired Ralph, so far so good. This summer's transfer activity is the acid test to know where we are really going, so we wait and see.

This summer's transfer activity is the acid test to know where we are really going, so we wait and see.

This. It will be interesting to see how much Ralph is given to spend, particularly given that all we did in January is offload players and we’ve been told this summer is when we are going to rebuild.

Ralph came here with a good reputation, I doubt he would have taken the job unless he had been promised some sort of war chest.