Saints vs Huddersfield - Build Up

Lighthouse

Scrape a 1-0 win and all will be forgiven, usual farewell waves from players only for most to return next year. Surely 'though Plymouth Argyle can afford Stephens, he'd loved to go home to end his career and should do well in League 2

With the long term contract and attractive wages uncle Les Reed saddled us with there is no chance of another premier club being able to afford him short of the top six assuming they want to.

Never mind Plymouth!

Herein lies the main problem Ralph has inherited a club that wants to be financially self sufficient that carries a bloated squad of moderate to poor players most on lengthy contracts and top 10 premier club wages.

A drain on resources and finances for two to three years however you look at it.

It was Les’s greed to avoid losing out on big transfer fees for hidden gems coupled with a belief our recruitment and black box were never wrong that has led to this sad situation.

With the long term contract and attractive wages uncle Les Reed saddled us with there is no chance of another premier club being able to afford him short of the top six assuming they want to.

Never mind Plymouth!

Herein lies the main problem Ralph has inherited a club that wants to be financially self sufficient that carries a bloated squad of moderate to poor players most on lengthy contracts and top 10 premier club wages.

A drain on resources and finances for two to three years however you look at it.

It was Les’s greed to avoid losing out on big transfer fees for hidden gems coupled with a belief our recruitment and black box were never wrong that has led to this sad situation.

Quite so. For every thumping profit made on a VVD or a Mané there are plenty of losers to offset against it.

Never mind Plymouth!

I've always suspected that Les Reed had a sort of England mania. If you were playing for the England Unders at some level or other you were like a magnet to him and he'd offer you shedloads of cash and a long contract just to have you in the club. Whatever happened to all those lads who were top dogs in the England U17s and all that? Did any of them ever make good?

Whatever happened to all those lads who were top dogs in the England U17s and all that? Did any of them ever make good?

There's a few some may have heard of here - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46800068 :^)

I know Marc Guehi and his family (look up his "no step" penalty on social media in a Chelsea Youth european game recently!) so I watch out for his progress. He's a very humble, grounded bloke and I hope he makes it in the game, but it'll be tough breaking through at Chelsea at CB.

There's a few some may have heard of here - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46800068 :^)

I know Marc Guehi and his family (look up his "no step" penalty on social media in a Chelsea Youth european game recently!) so I watch out for his progress. He's a very humble, grounded bloke and I hope he makes it in the game, but it'll be tough breaking through at Chelsea at CB.

No chance at Chelsea. Jonathan Panzo has already given up and moved abroad in the hope of game time. For Guehi to get in the Chelsea back line, he's got to get past: Luiz, Rudiger, Christensen, Zouma, Tomori, Ampadu - five internationals and an u21 international.

Personally, I'd like us to try and exploit the elite clubs' stockpiling of more talented youngsters than they can ever use and try and pick off the likes of Tomori and Guehi by offering them a more realistic pathway to first team Premier League action.

(Regarding the Huddersfield game, the PL2 play off match has been confirmed as being on the Monday, so I doubt we'll see any youngsters feature on the weekend. Same squad as usual.)

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

I think Ralph goes back to his top side, wants to go out with a win. Hopefully the "last chance player saloon" tour is over, an guys like Forster and Mo can go back in the stands.

Gunn

Stephens Bednarek Bertrand

Valery JWP

Højbjerg Romeu

Lemina Redmond

Ings

I think Ralph goes back to his top side, wants to go out with a win. Hopefully the "last chance player saloon" tour is over, an guys like Forster and Mo can go back in the stands.

Yep, Hasenhuttl just said in the pre-match press conference that it's back to a more 'normal' starting 11 this week

Ralph presser

The all english european finals shows this league is currently the best in the world.

How all the teams got to their finals was great, we all enjoyed watching

A fantastic achievement by all

Not often that titles go to the last game of the season

It could be dramatic this weekend

Both teams deserve to be champions

The race for 15th is not as interesting!!

Im sure it is interesting for us as a team and our fans but not national interest

It is a special home game as we must make the final lap around the ground with a win

we must say thank you to the fans

When this club finished 7th and 6th, that cannot happen over night and we have to grow

The first steps have been made and we must make the right decisions in the summer

we must work hard in the break

there needs to be a few changes to this team

The sooner we have these changes the better

It may not be possible to complete all changes before pre season but we have already started

we are forcing the direction on this

I will not comment on any player and their future

we still have 1 game to go, we will revert back to the shape we know and the players

Angus will be back in goal

Nathan has made a big development since I have known him

I had a meeting with him yesterday and told him I thoroughly enjoy working with him

I told him next season, I want more and he really wants to give it.

we will work him hard in pre season

He may want to play No.10 but his best position is where ever he scores the most

he is a motivated person and when he feels comfortable, he plays well

I don't want to give any team news away as we want to win the game

both teams will play without pressure and it could be a great game

Huddersfield drew against man united so, we will know the players will want to show they belong in the premier league

we are taking this seriously as we must say goodbye in the winning way

I was very critical analysing the last game and do not want to see that again, the players were briefed

there were many reasons why we played like we did at west ham but wont go into that

we must show we are better, if we play like we did 1st half against bournemouth for 90 mins, I will be happy

Their manager has not taken an easy step to come to this league as a new coach

I can't say anything about him as do not know much about him

Pre season will not be much different to our training sessions that we have now

the key is that they all follow their training schedules

I will not want them sitting at home and expect them to come back at the level required to start quickly

I will not be giving them video clips over the summer, they need a break

but they must come back ready to go physically and that is fundamental. Lots of stabilising exercises.

We analysed a lot in my time. It was the best way to try and improve the team.

If you are not playing well, I or the coaches will tell you, help you.

you can be sure that this will continue.

what we must be able to do next year is be able to change the system in games and we will work on that.

Ralph presser

The all english european finals shows this league is currently the best in the world.

Im sure it is interesting for us as a team and our fans but not national interest

It is a special home game as we must make the final lap around the ground with a win

When this club finished 7th and 6th, that cannot happen over night and we have to grow

The first steps have been made and we must make the right decisions in the summer

It may not be possible to complete all changes before pre season but we have already started

we still have 1 game to go, we will revert back to the shape we know and the players

I had a meeting with him yesterday and told him I thoroughly enjoy working with him

He may want to play No.10 but his best position is where ever he scores the most

Huddersfield drew against man united so, we will know the players will want to show they belong in the premier league

I was very critical analysing the last game and do not want to see that again, the players were briefed

there were many reasons why we played like we did at west ham but wont go into that

we must show we are better, if we play like we did 1st half against bournemouth for 90 mins, I will be happy

I will not want them sitting at home and expect them to come back at the level required to start quickly

but they must come back ready to go physically and that is fundamental. Lots of stabilising exercises.

what we must be able to do next year is be able to change the system in games and we will work on that.

Thanks Bats!

Ralph presser

Cheers

When was the last time your manager told you they enjoyed working with you? We have a superb manager on our hands!

Thanks Batman.

Let's hope we have a similar result to the one against Coventry on the last day. Wasn't that 4-0?

Every sympathy to Hudds though: some cracking pubs there..

That was the win we needed to seal promotion wasn't it? From memory Lallana and Sir Ricky were on the scoresheet. Coventry were already relegated too.

That was the win we needed to seal promotion wasn't it? From memory Lallana and Sir Ricky were on the scoresheet. Coventry were already relegated too.

WGS and Savage were pundits for ITV coverage and Gabby Logan in the Chair. I remember WGS was clapped from dugout to the plastic perch studio in the Kingsland, much to the bemusement of Savage.

Ralph presser

Cheers.

Encouraging. Sounds like there is a strong focus on next season and making changes. Let's hope Ralph gets the support he needs.

Cheers.

Encouraging. Sounds like there is a strong focus on next season and making changes. Let's hope Ralph gets the support he needs.

Again, he was very open when highlighting the need to make changes to the side.

I hope the dinlows who say we are already a top 10 side take note.

Again, he was very open when highlighting the need to make changes to the side.

I hope the dinlows who say we are already a top 10 side take note.

We actually have a plan, which is encouraging.

Top 10 won't be easy at all. We have a top 10 attack but a bottom 3 defence.

WGS and Savage were pundits for ITV coverage and Gabby Logan in the Chair. I remember WGS was clapped from dugout to the plastic perch studio in the Kingsland, much to the bemusement of Savage.

BBC if I recall correctly?

agree.

I would like to know which top 10 side we have a better attack than?

To be fair, since Ralph took over we have scored 31 goals which leaves us.......10th in terms of goals scored. Had Ralph been here from the start of the season it is highly likely we’d be higher than that in terms of goals scored.

Personally I think we have a top 6 manager, so with some good business in the summer I can see us banging them in next year (and hopefully keeping them out too!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

To be fair, since Ralph took over we have scored 31 goals which leaves us.......10th in terms of goals scored. Had Ralph been here from the start of the season it is highly likely we’d be higher than that in terms of goals scored.

Personally I think we have a top 6 manager, so with some good business in the summer I can see us banging them in next year (and hopefully keeping them out too!)

so, which top 10 sides' attackers/forwards get the boot to be replaced by Ings/Long and Redmond?

so, which top 10 sides' attackers/forwards get the boot to be replaced by Ings/Long and Redmond?

I quoted the wrong post, it was in response to the post stating that only five teams had scored fewer than us which I felt was an inaccurate reflection of our attack.

Under Hassenhuttl's stewardship, we are already a top 10 side (just).

There again, I am a bit of a "dinlow".

How come are are fighting for the 15th place trophy tomorrow?

Ralph has said numerous times that to maintain the form over a whole season with this team would be too hard. Along with his statement that changes "need" to be made to the side.

It's weird, Ralph himself does not agree
He said it would be hard to become a top ten side next season without improving the squad, not that it would be impossible. (I happen to agree with him)

Do you think we would have scored more points this season with this squad if Hasenhuttl had been at the helm from the start of the season?

I believe we would have been good enough for a top 10 finish (just). You don't believe that. It's just a different opinion, that's all. No big deal.

We actually have a plan, which is encouraging.

Top 10 won't be easy at all. We have a top 10 attack but a bottom 3 defence.

Puel said our attack is world class. I remember he said "if anything, they score too many".

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I'm oddly nervous. Maybe it's because there's no football for three months after today :'(

Me too but then it must surely be the default condition of being a Saints fan - a mixture of bewilderment, confusion and nervousness. Nurse!!!

So oddly I’m supporting a fifth of the Premier League teams today, Us and Arsenal to see us jump a place above Burnley, and City and Wolves to stop the dippers winning the title.

Ultimately just seeing us finish on 40+ Points would be a nice end to the season.