Top Managers the fans wanted

Cabbage_Face

Are we still annoyed we missed out on

Emery

De Boer

Viera

Mancini

Silva

Listen if you said to me you could have one, two, three, four or possibly five of those managers, I'd have to say yes. I'd just have to say yes. It's not one of those where you say "yes but Hughes", "Yes but Pellegrino", "Yes but RaHa"... I'd like you to listen to me I'd say yes to those managers. It's not too late either.

I will be honest, I really wanted Rudi Garcia when he was heavily linked with us after Koeman left. Pellegrini too was my 2nd choice. In the end we got Puel

Amazing that we're still paying for that decision all these years later. Would love to see a proper study into how much £££ appointing Puel cost us in both the short and long term. Imagine where we'd be if we appointed a competent manager to replace Koeman :scared:

Amazing that we're still paying for that decision all these years later. Would love to see a proper study into how much £££ appointing Puel cost us in both the short and long term. Imagine where we'd be if we appointed a competent manager to replace Koeman :scared:

Maybe ask the same people doing your little study to do one on if we bought good players not bad players.

Before anyone gets too clever about their preferences, remember that the job a manager does at one club does not equal the job they might have done at another. Strachan was good for us, awful everywhere else, Koeman was good for us, a disaster at Everton, Burley was great at Ipswich, a failure with us, Redknapp has unarguably done well at certain other clubs, not so much for us.

You never really know how a manager will work out and we can't predict it from what's happened in their careers elsewhere.

Still would be happy with Silva. Everton had an odd spell but have looked good recently.

Ralph was a bolt from the blue mind, considering his reputation and our position it is amazing he took us on.

Possibly. But thats Saints. Better to be a good stepping stone than absolute ****e.

I was guilty of wanting Hughes because he was unlikely to leave however well he did. i regret that but still think the principle is correct; go for old timers who have enjoyed success at one club left to go to a bigger club and then failed there. Ralph is absolutely fantastic but we all know that come the end of next season, if we continue to progress he will be gone.

I was guilty of wanting Hughes because he was unlikely to leave however well he did. i regret that but still think the principle is correct; go for old timers who have enjoyed success at one club left to go to a bigger club and then failed there. Ralph is absolutely fantastic but we all know that come the end of next season, if we continue to progress he will be gone.
IMO this is madness and very nearly got us relegated.

If Ralph is poached, just like Poch Koeman, Mane, VVD etc it will be because he has made Saints good again.

Surely being good is what every fan wants? To enjoy watching a good team.

If Saints fans have learned anything in the last 7 years its surely to enjoy the good times, realise where we are in the food chain and that our way to punch above our weight is to be the PLs best stepping stone club.

That got us to 6th.

Your idea nearly took us down.

If Ralph is poached, just like Poch Koeman, Mane, VVD etc it will be because he has made Saints good again.

If Saints fans have learned anything in the last 7 years its surely to enjoy the good times, realise where we are in the food chain and that our way to punch above our weight is to be the PLs best stepping stone club.

That got us to 6th.

This is spot on but some will never understand or accept that the best players will be picked off, they will just rant at the club...

That got us to 6th.

The problem is when a manager leaves it rips the heart out of the club. The only positive is that it means that managers are more likely to be attracted to the club. I would still argue that a Hodgson or a Pellegrini might provide a longer period of stability. Well Roy is getting on a bit.

Emery - Would have done OK

De Boer - No. Disaster everywhere he's been.

Viera - A gamble

Mancini - No

Silva - Would have done better that Pelligrino.

Ultimately we all couldn't really be happier with Ralph, and we can all look forward to next season.

The experience of the last 5 seasons has been very up and very down. Koeman, Poch were great, Pelligrino and Hughes were awful, Puel was the in between.

Whilst having great managers who end up leaving us is a shame, it's certainly more enjoyable having them whilst they're here. Yes they may move on, as will players. Sadly, the Premiership is so divided now that I've finally accepted our place in it. At best we can be like Wolves. At worst we can go down. It can all go wrong very quickly, so our club has to continually be on the look out for the next gem, be it manager or player. We've tried to keep our best players and it never works, so let em go and move on quick.

Ralph has been magnificent, and for the first time since Koeman I'm looking forward to the next season.