New contracts priority over the summer

stevy777_x

Redmond, PEH and Yoshi should be a priority. Bertrand too, providing he wants to be here.

Maya?? Let him run down his contract and leave next year; just because the rest of our defence isn't up too much (not good enough or too inexperienced) doesn't mean he's suddenly become irreplaceable. Do you remember the good old days when he was back up to Fonte + whoever (Lovren, Toby, Van Dijk). We used to shudder when one of them was out and Maya had to play. He's not got that much better to be honest.

PEH definitely at pretty much any cost, Redmond & Bertrand at a sensible level, but if they want too much I wouldn't be held to ransom. Redmond's had a very good season, and we definitely need him next season, but wouldn't want us committing to paying him a fortune for another 5 years - he's not that good.

Maya?? Let him run down his contract and leave next year; just because the rest of our defence isn't up too much (not good enough or too inexperienced) doesn't mean he's suddenly become irreplaceable. Do you remember the good old days when he was back up to Fonte + whoever (Lovren, Toby, Van Dijk). We used to shudder when one of them was out and Maya had to play. He's not got that much better to be honest.

PEH definitely at pretty much any cost, Redmond & Bertrand at a sensible level, but if they want too much I wouldn't be held to ransom. Redmond's had a very good season, and we definitely need him next season, but wouldn't want us committing to paying him a fortune for another 5 years - he's not that good.

Not even sure I'd go that far to be honest. I always had faith that he could be a good player when he was being widely slated, and I may have even voted for him as Player of the Year (either him or Redmond), but while he's had lots of good performances this season, I haven't been thinking that he's different class and that he's destined for a top team. Sure, he still has potential to improve and seems a good character too, but "at any cost" is pushing it.

Yoshida might not be to the standard we'd ideally like to have but as things stand he is the only centre back that offers any pace, so we miss him if he doesn't play. I'd probably go as far as saying he is our best central defender. Not by much, and indeed that is not saying a great deal, but surely we'd be silly to let him go at this point, even if we just extended by 1 or 2 seasons - if we do manage to sign someone to replace him at least he will probably be happy being on the bench too.