Greatest Saints Comebacks

Noodles34

Got to be done i guess after the last two nights:

Got to be 94, Norwich away, fighting relegation, came back 3 times before Kenny Monkou got a last minute winner (was it last minute?).

I was there, think i abused David Speedie that day cause he was a ******, not fit to wear the shirt. What a game!

And also, was it Newcastle at home, night game, again fighting to stay up, 90's at some point, maybe 2-0 down and came back to win 3-2, do i remember Neil Heaney scoring?

I guess some of the more seasoned posters can go back to better ones further back?

3-3 with Liverpool when Pahars equalised, also the 3-2 win from 2-0 down under Koeman.

It sounds silly now but beating MK Dons from 2-0 down was pretty special, as was beating Millwall when we went into stoppage time 2-1 down.

FA Cup Round 5. Notts Forest. We drew 1-1 away and in the replay at the Dell we were 0-3 down with 15 minutes left. We drew 3-3 and in the next replay (neutral ground White Hart Lane) we won 5-0. We reached the semi final but lost 0-1 to Man Utd, It was the year of the great ice-up 1964 I think

Best one for me was the FA Cup 6th Rd home game v Nottm Forest in 1963.

We were a middling 2nd Division club versus upper position 1st Division Forest.

We had drawn 1-1 at the City Ground in the first game

In the replay at the Dell we had been outplayed and were 3-0 down with approx 12 mins left when we pulled back what I thought was a consolation goal only to use this as a springboard to batter (and I mean batter thanks to our very physical centre forward, George Kirby) and went on to equalise.

The atmosphere at The Dell was probably one of the best I can remember

No goals in extra time so over 30,000 of us travelled to White Hart Lane for the second replay to witness one of the best attacking displays I have seen from a Saints team.

We won 5-1 and went on to play Man Utd in the semi final at Villa Park but lost 1-0 in a close fought game

Ipswich at home in 1981.

Fell 3-1 down to at least one dodgy goal, the crowd got fired up and so did the players.

I may be wrong but I recall them scoring with Graham Baker (?) laying injured for a while, ref played on, he lay there playing them onside - but it was a long time ago!

We came back to win 4-3.

:D

Best one for me was the FA Cup 6th Rd home game v Nottm Forest in 1963.

We were a middling 2nd Division club versus upper position 1st Division Forest.

We had drawn 1-1 at the City Ground in the first game

In the replay at the Dell we had been outplayed and were 3-0 down with approx 12 mins left when we pulled back what I thought was a consolation goal only to use this as a springboard to batter (and I mean batter thanks to our very physical centre forward, George Kirby) and went on to equalise.

The atmosphere at The Dell was probably one of the best I can remember

No goals in extra time so over 30,000 of us travelled to White Hart Lane for the second replay to witness one of the best attacking displays I have seen from a Saints team.

We won 5-1 and went on to play Man Utd in the semi final at Villa Park but lost 1-0 in a close fought game

Yes, and the Spurs hosts hadn't expected such a huge crowd and had shut off one stand so there was a crush outside and when we got in Saints were already 3-0 up

Preston away 2008: two down at HT, with McGoldrick scoring the winner in injury time. For a side in free fall on and off the pitch, it was a pretty amazing comeback.

Our win at Brighton in our promotion season -two goals in the last five mins against a side unbeaten at home all season with no less than 3 points necessary to keep Huddersfield off our backs- was another highlight.

Ironically Liverpool twice - 3-3 at the Dell with Pahars in injury time and 3-2 under Koeman from 0-2 and Mane missing a penalty (but he made up for it!). Bolton in the FA Cup and Horne's wondergoal. Newcastle home as Noodles mentions 3-1 having been 0-1 with 4 minutes to go and battered first half but Saints pinned them back second half. That stupid announcement for the Archers to sit down with 20 minutes to go really stirred up the fans ironically!

Preston away which Shurlock mentions notable for the difficulties the club was in at the time. Sheffield Utd home last day for similar reasons and pure drama.

The 3-2 vs MK Dons in League 1 was a vital win at the time... 0-2 down in the 65th minute, then three goals in ten minutes including the "Jonno Quick" double in 2 minutes - great times!

This! That was a pivotal moment in our promotion. Had we lost that game, I think we would have probably ended up in the playoffs with the promotion race being so tight

That feeling from coming back from a lost cause is as good as it gets on match days, we've had a few as mentioned (seems more throwing it away!) but one less significant one I remember was 2-down at home to Villa, must have been early 80s, but the crowd just got louder and louder as we pushed forward. What sticks in my memory was the raw gut-wrenching roar as we attacked (something you just don't seem to get anymore sadly) that was fantastic from all 4 sides of the Dell and drove us back into the game and to 2-2.

I've been fortunate enough to have been at some of the games referred to ( 4-3 Ipswich, 2-2 Newcastle, MK Dons) but I can't say any game comes near to the legendary Notts Forest cup tie. I wasn't there as too young, but from what older relatives told me, it really must be the ultimate.

Honourable mention though to the 1-1 v Villa in January 1976 with Hughie Fisher's last minute goal. Okay not spectacular in 'just geting a late equaliser' but look where it ended.

2-2 League Cup S/F First leg at Elland Road in 1979 worth a mention also.

Mentioned before a game at the Dell - think having tiny tots saw me missing the game. Teletext had us at 0-1 down v Newcastle in the 90th minute - page refresh 1-1 - page refresh 2-1, page refresh full time 3-1 Saints. South Today played the Solent commentary over the footage absolutely superb.

In the 60 odd years that I've been watching Saints the Forest and Liverpool games are the only ones I can remember us coming from 3 down. Against us there were the cup games at Watford over 2 legs and Tranmere. I think there was another league game at the Dell in Alan Ball's time but I can't remember who it was against, possibly Spurs.

To see it twice in 2 nights is remarkable.

That feeling from coming back from a lost cause is as good as it gets on match days, we've had a few as mentioned (seems more throwing it away!) but one less significant one I remember was 2-down at home to Villa, must have been early 80s, but the crowd just got louder and louder as we pushed forward. What sticks in my memory was the raw gut-wrenching roar as we attacked (something you just don't seem to get anymore sadly) that was fantastic from all 4 sides of the Dell and drove us back into the game and to 2-2.

Remember this one well. Two very late goals to get it back to 2-2, and Moran had a shot cleared off the line in the very last minute

In the 60 odd years that I've been watching Saints the Forest and Liverpool games are the only ones I can remember us coming from 3 down. Against us there were the cup games at Watford over 2 legs and Tranmere. I think there was another league game at the Dell in Alan Ball's time but I can't remember who it was against, possibly Spurs.

To see it twice in 2 nights is remarkable.

These games should be in a Saints worst ever collapses rather than comebacks thread, but since you mentioned it.

The Spurs match was an Easter Monday - lunchtime - fixture c 1979 I think. Saints 3-0 up at half time, gradually allowed Spurs back into it. Eventually 3-3. Could have been worse, Spurs player went round our GK in the last minute, and rolled the ball against the post from a tight angle (looked easier to score, but not as easy as Long v Bournemouth the other week).

Add Leeds 4-3 in Championship to the collapses (along with Villa at home the previous season 2-0 to 2-3, Boro 2-0 in the 89th minute, to 2-2, and Spurs in the cup, Ronny Bastardrosenthal).

Yes I think the 5-4 at Norwich was the best in a match where we were 3-1 down at one point and defeat would have meant almost certain relegation.

After that I would go for the 2 Liverpool games - 3-3 at the Dell when we were 3-0 down with about 20 mins to go, and more recently the 3-2 win against Klopp's side after being 2-0 down and missing a penalty.

Yes I think the 5-4 at Norwich was the best in a match where we were 3-1 down at one point and defeat would have meant almost certain relegation.

After that I would go for the 2 Liverpool games - 3-3 at the Dell when we were 3-0 down with about 20 mins to go, and more recently the 3-2 win against Klopp's side after being 2-0 down and missing a penalty.

...and Klopp having an enthusiastic conversation with Mané on the pitch after the final whistle, before Mané joined the scousers a few months later.

'99 (20 years ago!!!) we came back from 3-1 down to draw 3-3 with Blackburn. Pretty sure pahars got the equaliser. Helped keep us up and the noise at the dell turned me into a saint. So a special one to me at least.

Also, last game at the Dell vs arsenal was pretty good.