Charlie Austin - Sold to West Brom - 4M

Give it to Ron

I read it somewhere at the time and Koeman also left because of lack of investment / ambition . It came out while LaLa was throwing his toys out of his pram because he wanted to go to his spiritual home of L pool.

All "apparently" then but I cannot remember either

I read it somewhere at the time and Koeman also left because of lack of investment / ambition . It came out while LaLa was throwing his toys out of his pram because he wanted to go to his spiritual home of L pool.

Evidently he left because he had peaked here within two seasons and with players wanting to leave, it was only going to go backwards.

Whoever ends up buying Charlie has to play him right and he'll bag the goals. Forget through balls to run onto, get it in the box and he's and excellent weapon up front.

I still think 10M is about OK.

In the Championship he may do ok.

£10m is a pipe dream IMO.

He's got his contract which doesn't guarantee him a starting spot, and as they say, you're paid to train and be ready to play match day. If he can't accept that, then that's his decision as to whether he seeks to make a move or not.

And maybe it's because I am older than some, but wtf is all this pathetic cryptic tweets people do? Ffs just call a spade a spade.

I assume the article about him snubbing the West Brom transfer in favour of seeing out his contract was leaked by the club to apply some pressure. Could get messy if he keeps up with this sort of childish crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I assume the article about him snubbing the West Brom transfer in favour of seeing out his contract was leaked by the club to apply some pressure. Could get messy if he keeps up with this sort of childish crap.

He is a parasite. As I said stories leaked to the press and him being frozen out. Not too far off what I was saying earlier about how to treat someone we want to get rid off a la Forster.

No I don’t believe everything I read but I read more than once that Poch told the players if they want to win things/play in european competitions then move to a bigger club. It was plain to see at the time that Saints were planning to spend less to remain financially viable while Kat was looking to exit the club . This turned out to be the case and hasn’t changed much under Gao.

I think we've treated him pretty badly myself.

"Thanks for your efforts, but find yourself a new club on less money as you've got no future here. Cheers."

Or “you are at an age where you will want to be playing regularly, we can’t give you that so you are free to spend the next few months looking at other options”

Of course the player would rather sit on his arse, watching the horse racing and watching his wages arrive in his bank account every week.

As some have said in the past couple of months or so he has acted like a ****. Shame.

I think we've treated him pretty badly myself.

"Thanks for your efforts, but find yourself a new club on less money as you've got no future here. Cheers."

"Thanks for your efforts, but we aspire to play above the level of pub football and need players who have more than 20 minutes of light jogging in the tank."

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Or “you are at an age where you will want to be playing regularly, we can’t give you that so you are free to spend the next few months looking at other options”

Of course the player would rather sit on his arse, watching the horse racing and watching his wages arrive in his bank account every week.

As some have said in the past couple of months or so he has acted like a ****. Shame.

"Thanks for your efforts, but we aspire to play above the level of pub football and need players who have more than 20 minutes of light jogging in the tank."

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

See, neither of them seem to be saying "oh, and by the way, we will be freezing you out of the squad and make you train with the youth teams unless you agree to take a 50% paycut and **** off".

I know some people on this forum are of the "they're footballers, they're well paid so **** em" school of thought, but some of these people still have financial commitments that they rely on their contracts for.

Would you quit your job for a 50% paycut cos your company wanted to end your contract early cos they made a mistake hiring you? **** no.

Think some of you guys need a little perspective in life TBH.

See, neither of them seem to be saying "oh, and by the way, we will be freezing you out of the squad and make you train with the youth teams unless you agree to take a 50% paycut and **** off".

I know some people on this forum are of the "they're footballers, they're well paid so **** em" school of thought, but some of these people still have financial commitments that they rely on their contracts for.

Would you quit your job for a 50% paycut cos your company wanted to end your contract early cos they made a mistake hiring you? **** no.

Think some of you guys need a little perspective in life TBH.

But he doesn't have to leave. He can stay and still earn the same money.

I think this is a little different that a standard job. You can’t compare someone earning millions (for hardly any work) to someone in a regular job. I don’t buy that capitalist viewpoint. It’s an obscene amount of money. You take the rough with the smooth. Nothing would induce me to have any sympathy for him. I’ll save that for people in real financial difficulty.

I think this is a little different that a standard job. You can’t compare someone earning millions (for hardly any work) to someone in a regular job. I don’t buy that capitalist viewpoint. It’s an obscene amount of money. You take the rough with the smooth. Nothing would induce me to have any sympathy for him. I’ll save that for people in real financial difficulty.

So you think it's reasonable for him to take a 50% paycut and move to another club because Saints have asked him to? And potentially have to move to another part of the company or spend large amounts of time living away from his family and friends?

People talk about the lack of loyalty in the game, yet I bet you lot were bleating at the first sign of Lallana and Van Dijk wanting out.

He's totally within his rights to sit and take his money. That has no bearing on whether or not he's a bit of a tool, though.

Saying that, even if he was to be paid a reduced wage by whichever club took him on, I'd expect that we'd end up subsidising his wages until the end of his contract anyway.

So you think it's reasonable for him to take a 50% paycut and move to another club because Saints have asked him to? And potentially have to move to another part of the company or spend large amounts of time living away from his family and friends?

People talk about the lack of loyalty in the game, yet I bet you lot were bleating at the first sign of Lallana and Van Dijk wanting out.

Whilst earning £40,000 a week before bonuses? Absolutely. I'd be over the moon. If I got offered £160,000 a month to move to Birmingham for 4 years my family and friends would all shout at me to **** off up north asap.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

There isn't a professional bone in his body. Unfortunately he still thinks he works on a building site playing non-league, so he's actually done well to survive in the PL as long as he has. I know someone who played with him at Burnley, and you wouldn't believe some of the stories or the nickname they had for him (well you probably would).

Coupled with the fact he regularly cheats on his Mrs, he's just a rather unpleasant gypo.

He’s perfectly entitled to stay and see out his contract, as long as he trains hard, conducts himself appropriately and is ready to play if needed.

What he shouldn’t do, is act like an unprofessional ***.

Unfortunately, I’m not sure he’s got it in him to behave appropriately.

There isn't a professional bone in his body. Unfortunately he still thinks he works on a building site playing non-league, so he's actually done well to survive in the PL as long as he has. I know someone who played with him at Burnley, and you wouldn't believe some of the stories or the nickname they had for him (well you probably would).

Coupled with the fact he regularly cheats on his Mrs, he's just a rather unpleasant gypo.

He cheats at Monopoly too! The utter, utter scoundrel.

Whilst earning £40,000 a week before bonuses? Absolutely. I'd be over the moon. If I got offered £160,000 a month to move to Birmingham for 4 years my family and friends would all shout at me to **** off up north asap.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

What, even if you were earning £80k per week before bonuses where you currently live? That's very odd. I assume your family and friends don't like you very much if they'd encourage you to do that.

He’s perfectly entitled to stay and see out his contract, as long as he trains hard, conducts himself appropriately and is ready to play if needed.

What he shouldn’t do, is act like an unprofessional ***.

Unfortunately, I’m not sure he’s got it in him to behave appropriately.

Have we ever actually heard that he doesn't train well, or is this something that people assume because he's not that fit?

Because he's been frozen out and left behind. I'd be doing exactly the same as it's a pretty ****ty thing to do by Saints.

Do give over. He was told, as happens to many many players, that he doesn’t fit in to the managers plans - in January. He’s had plenty of time to sort a deal elsewhere, or he can sit on his contract. Don’t feel sorry for him, feel sorry for kids of 15/16/17 who get told they’re not being retained and don’t have his millions to fall back on.

Do give over. He was told, as happens to many many players, that he doesn’t fit in to the managers plans - in January. He’s had plenty of time to sort a deal elsewhere, or he can sit on his contract. Don’t feel sorry for him, feel sorry for kids of 15/16/17 who get told they’re not being retained and don’t have his millions to fall back on.

This

Just comes back to my loyalty comment - it seems that we're more than happy to show no loyalty, yet when a player does the same he gets roundly criticised.

My point is that he has every right to sit out his contract - my issue is people criticising him for doing that.

Edited by Unbelievable Jeff

That’s a pretty fair assumption to deduce isn’t it?

I don't think so - players have different fitness levels and the vast majority train to the level they are trained to - hence why we were so unfit under Hughes. If he wasn't training hard enough I would presume we'd have heard about fines being issued etc.

My point is that he has every right to sit out his contract - my issue is people criticising him for doing that.

I think people are simply highlightling that there are two ways of "sitting out a contract":

(a) sit out contract whilst not stirring things on social media

(b) sit out contract whilst stirring things on social media

Yes, it could be argued that the club aren't treating him "fairly", but a player has two options if he thinks he's being treated unfairly.... lower himself to his perceived level of the club (i.e. tit-for-tat) or rise above it and maintain a mature and dignified silence. Austin appears to have taken the first approach. Nothing wrong with that of course, his choice.

Yours observingly...

I fail to understand some of the support that he is getting on here.

I think we nearly all agree that he is not good enough to play for our first team.

That said he is no longer going to be in squad for this season.

How a player not deemed up to required standard is then said to be frozen out by the club baffles me. If said player is up to it he is wanted if not then he is let go.

I understand him and also FF wanting to stick with us as they are on such good contracts though undeserved. But his overall mannerisms are those that unless of similar ilk the majority of us dislike.

To close.

If he aint good enough to be in the squad he won't be included. That doesn't mean he is being frozen out in my book. It simply means he will collect his money for doing very little to earn it.

I don’t think he has been treated badly. He clearly doesn’t fit in with the current regime and it is obvious that a move is in the best interests of both parties. He is still being paid (handsomely). He is within his rights to see out his contract but at his age and experience you would think he would rather go somewhere where he will get a game every week. If he is struggling to find a Premier club to take him now it will be more of a struggle next year. We aren’t asking for a Kings Ransom for him. Where we have gone wrong is to pay him a massive wage. What bastards eh?

Isn’t there a compromise where we can loan him out whilst paying a % of his wages?

Unless he actually thinks that might harm & expose his chances of a big move next summer?

I think this is what he is doing- why move to another PL club now- he is already on top dollar and if he rides out this one last year with us then he can get a signing on fee and decent wages at another PL club who just will almost certainly take a punt on him.

It is risky for him now to move to say Villa or Sheffield on reduced wages- if he does rubbish (which I am certain he will) then he it almost certainly means no PL team touches him with a barge role- whereas freezing himself out and staying out of the limelight means it is likelier someone just might take a chance on him next season in the PL.

not hating or anything- he is purely doing what is rational for him.