Charlie Austin - Sold to West Brom - 4M

Give it to Ron

Isn’t there a compromise where we can loan him out whilst paying a % of his wages?

Unless he actually thinks that might harm & expose his chances of a big move next summer?

He wont want a loan. His loan club would actually expect him to play. And that would expose him as the unfit carthorse he has become. Better to sit on the bench and take the cash.

Just comes back to my loyalty comment - it seems that we're more than happy to show no loyalty, yet when a player does the same he gets roundly criticised.

My point is that he has every right to sit out his contract - my issue is people criticising him for doing that.

How are we not showing loyalty? All we've said is he isn't in our plans and should look for another club. If he doesn't want to well then we still pay his wages for the duration of the contract.

Clubs show loyalty at the start by offering the long contract on big wages, players show loyalty by sticking to what the contract says - unless both parties agree they can move.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I don't think so - players have different fitness levels and the vast majority train to the level they are trained to - hence why we were so unfit under Hughes. If he wasn't training hard enough I would presume we'd have heard about fines being issued etc.

JWP’s fitness levels have improved since Ralph came in, but Austin has arguably gone backwards and struggles to fart around the pitch for more than 20 mins. What does that say about his application in training?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JWP’s fitness levels have improved since Ralph came in, but Austin has arguably gone backwards and struggles to fart around the pitch for more than 20 mins. What does that say about his application in training?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It helps that JWP has two functioning knees. Ultimately we gave an injury-prone player a generous contract in lieu of having to pay QPR a large transfer fee.

It's quite a simple problem to fix. Just do the same you would do to any employee you don't want to stay, increase workload, make impossible targets, drive them out..........

I suspect his contract will not include doing the "bibs and cones" at every training session or you must collect the tracksuit tops before kick off and do a 100 sit ups every night so intrigued as to what you had in mind?

Isn’t there a compromise where we can loan him out whilst paying a % of his wages?

Unless he actually thinks that might harm & expose his chances of a big move next summer?

Yes but he has to agree to any compromise / any move. He may not want that, and whilst you'd like to think he'd want to move to play, none of us know what he wants to do.

It is the nightmare scenario for the club. Austin holds all the cards and can negotiate a nice sign-on / good wages as a free agent next season, why would he want to risk that?

Exactly. All this nonsense that clubs have more power than players is nonsense. If he goes its on his terms. If not he stays and walks as a free agent.

Yes but he has to agree to any compromise / any move. He may not want that, and whilst you'd like to think he'd want to move to play, none of us know what he wants to do.

Unlike say Forster, Austin is at the tail end of his career, so securing playing time and putting himself in the shop window is of less value. Moreover, he’s likely championship-bound whether he moves this season or next, so playing well is unlikely to attract any new suitors. All in all better to do it on his terms as a free agent. He might even get the odd runout in the PL this season. Needless to say, this calculus doesn’t apply to all players, especially those with a longer shelf life and a wider range of career outcomes.

Unlike say Forster, Austin is at the tail end of his career, so securing playing time and putting himself in the shop window is of less value. Moreover, he’s likely championship-bound whether he moves this season or next, so playing well is unlikely to attract any new suitors. All in all better to do it on his terms as a free agent. He might even get the odd runout in the PL this season. Needless to say, this calculus doesn’t apply to all players, especially those with a longer shelf life and a wider range of career outcomes.

That assumes RH is prepared to give him a place in the squad.

It is the nightmare scenario for the club. Austin holds all the cards and can negotiate a nice sign-on / good wages as a free agent next season, why would he want to risk that?

Can’t see how he would be in a position to demand better wages next summer, compared to now. His current contract is his leverage, he would want a deal somewhere close to it, with Saints making up any difference for the next year.

Next summer he will be a 31 year old, free agent who will have done naff all 2 seasons. If he thinks clubs will be fighting to offer him £60kpw and a massive sell on clause, he may have another thing coming.

Can’t see how he would be in a position to demand better wages next summer, compared to now. His current contract is his leverage, he would want a deal somewhere close to it, with Saints making up any difference for the next year.

Next summer he will be a 31 year old, free agent who will have done naff all 2 seasons. If he thinks clubs will be fighting to offer him £60kpw and a massive sell on clause, he may have another thing coming.

A bird in the hand etc. Your post assumes that another club will give him something close to what he wants, and that they'll give him more than a year. None of us know that's an option for him. The reality is that he has his contract and will earn £3m + for seeing it out. He'll then get something else, perhaps nothing massive, but something.

I wouldn't think he'll be expecting £60kpw with any new club next summer, he probably wouldn't expect it now, that's why he'll likely stay put. He's no regular PL striker now, he'd probably struggle for a full season in the Championship. In another yesar without playing he'll do well to secure any kind of playing contract.

Exactly. All this nonsense that clubs have more power than players is nonsense. If he goes its on his terms. If not he stays and walks as a free agent.

Agree, but the compromise I described gets him playing football AND getting the same money.

A bird in the hand etc. Your post assumes that another club will give him something close to what he wants, and that they'll give him more than a year. None of us know that's an option for him. The reality is that he has his contract and will earn £3m + for seeing it out. He'll then get something else, perhaps nothing massive, but something.

I would assume that there is a club out there willing to offer him a reasonable 2 year contract. If I were Saints I’d be willing to pay the difference, so Austin wouldn’t be losing anything this season. That way he’d be much better set up for the future than chancing it next summer with no leverage.

Then again, in the world of footballers, agents and clubs, when has common sense ever been relevant.

I get the distinct impression that Hasenhüttl is not a man to cross. If Austin doesn't fit into his plans and is obstructing a move (undermining further squad improvement), I can see Ralph telling him that he won't be seeing much of the pitch (match or practice) because most of his time will be spent with the conditioning coaches. Given Austin's questionable appetite for hard work, that would be a prospect he wouldn't fancy one little bit. Sure, he could resist by claiming that his body is breaking down, but that doesn't help him get another club when his contract runs out. Given his lifestyle, he'll need one.

Yes, Austin has a lot of power in this situation, but in an eyeball-to-eyeball contest, I'll go with Ralph. Time will tell.

Forcing out, or being honest with him? "Chaz, you're not in my plans this season, so you may want to consider finding another club. "

I thought this was meant to have been amicably discussed in January, and at that point he wanted to go to play more.

Don't really like this forcing a player out stuff. If we do it then we can no longer complain when players want to leave mid contract and kick up a fuss. All you can expect of a player is that they train hard and make themselves available for the duration of their contract. We can't expect loyalty from players if we don't show it in return. It's our fault we gave him a massive contract, not his.

What forcing out? Telling him he's not part of the plans is hardly forcing him out. It seems that the club is being honest with him. Do you think that he should get a starting spot or be in the squad just because he has a contract?

No sign of him or Lemina in the Staplewood training pics, ditto Clasie and Carrillo.

Thats telling when they arent training with the rest of the squad even at our own training ground.

Different situations, but Armstrong & Reed training with the main group.

Didn’t see Danny Röhl though.

From what I'm told, hes great to have around when he is in a good mood but a massive drain on everybody when he's not happy. Very disruptive and full of himself. Willing to kick up a fuss. Sounds like a complete beIIend

Sounds like me.

From what I'm told, hes great to have around when he is in a good mood but a massive drain on everybody when he's not happy. Very disruptive and full of himself. Willing to kick up a fuss. Sounds like a complete beIIend

Like a child?

From fan event at Staplewood today:

@TheDanJames: Big points on the tour. In the first team dressing room there is no place for Austin or Lemina. MS emphasised that they’ve been told they aren’t part of plans. Neither have any association with first team activities at present (training, fitness, food etc) #saintsfc

MS being Martin Semmens.

I got that impression from the pre-season tour video last year. A bit tiresome with his banter and doesn't know when to stop, and if he is aware of it he doesn't care about other's feelings.

I live quite near to Hungerford, where Austin lives

He was apparently heard telling people in the pub recently

that he’s going nowhere, and will sit out the final year of the contract.

“ I’m on £70k a week -so what”

Can see it from both sides but he would now

struggle to start at most championship clubs

I remember being at the Saints Quiz at St Marys last season, supposed to be hosted by Le Tiss and Austin, start was delayed for quite a while as Austin hadn't shown up, then announced he wasn't going to make it due to personal issue, very odd and clearly organisers had no idea what was going on.

We won't miss him, just hope there is a club out there gullible enough to buy him.

At a guess, Austin was probably given a fitness regime to follow over the holidays. If he didn't follow it, he's probably been left behind. RH doesn't suffer any fools. You're either on the bus or thrown under it!

I live quite near to Hungerford, where Austin lives

He was apparently heard telling people in the pub recently

that he’s going nowhere, and will sit out the final year of the contract.

“ I’m on £70k a week -so what”

Can see it from both sides but he would now

struggle to start at most championship clubs

:D :D :D

He has always come across as an unprofessional, irritating, unfit bell end. But at least he would occasionally score goals and looked like he enjoyed playing.

Now he's just coming across as a bitter, unprofessional, unfit bell end that won't get any game time. I don't blame him necessarily for wanting to sit on his arse and get paid for it, but what a boring and unfulfilling life to live (even if you do have a ridiculous amount of money).

Hopefully he doesn't become a cancer to the rest of the team with his attitude. I know he's mates with Redmond (or appears so on the pitch), but from what I've seen on social media over summer they are different ends of the professional spectrum with regards to their commitment to fitness etc.