Charlie Austin - Sold to West Brom - 4M

Give it to Ron

Overall, he was an okay signing (although the degree to which he was taking the **** with his fitness seems to be on a parabolic trend). My only concern is that we're now lacking someone in the dressing room who is prepared to kick opposing goalkeepers in the face.

Overall, he was an okay signing (although the degree to which he was taking the **** with his fitness seems to be on a parabolic trend). My only concern is that we're now lacking someone in the dressing room who is prepared to kick opposing goalkeepers in the face.

I think PEH has got it in his locker.

As I have said many times - that debut goal at Old Trafford instantly repaid the £4m we paid for him - to get that back after a couple of years and him being older and slower can only be considered as a bit of a result, get the wages off the balance sheet a bonus.

Up until very recently he put a much needed buzz in the crowd when he was on the pitch, because most of us knew a mere sniff was all he needed to put the ball away.

Speak for yourself. I'm not sure how he gets this natural goalscorer tag on the back of 16 goals in 3.5 years.

Good luck to him in the Championship, if he stays reasonably fit he should be able to get double figures this season. Overall I'm just glad he is (mostly) off the wage bill.

Hi guan. Any update on things?

Most of the moves that i said would happen in the summer if they didn't happen in Jan have panned out. Shame about the full back. However I wouldn't get my hopes up for anymore incoming.

Too late in the day to turn interest into action IMHO.

In my opinion, with the wages he was on, that should green light us for at least one new signing. I imagine they would have been waiting for this to be confirmed before moving ahead with any signings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Trouble is there's no time to get someone in for a medical now :-(

Good signing for them

Glad it's all over.

Sums it up really. He wasn't going to play & its' great to get those wages off the books.

With all said and done, his Saints career is book-ended by the winner @ Utd & the Winner vs Arsenal & those were 2 pretty fantastic moments.

Limbs in that away end when he scored at OT. Sadly it didn't really work out here imo. He'll do well there if he avoids injury.
I forgot about the goal against Arsenal, that was the trigger for our safety and so those 3 points were worth millions to us

Most of the moves that i said would happen in the summer if they didn't happen in Jan have panned out. Shame about the full back. However I wouldn't get my hopes up for anymore incoming.

Too late in the day to turn interest into action IMHO.

I suppose there's a difference between interest in a player and terms being agreed in principle in the even that we manage to sell a player further up the 'chain'. That's the hope anyway!

So that ****er who wouldn't take a paycut to **** off his contract, has done just that.

Quelle surprise.

I think our fans have treated him pretty shabbily over the last few weeks, after the club did initially.

I can’t see what any party has done wrong here, including the club.

I can’t see what any party has done wrong here, including the club.

Yeah, what's all the fuss about? Footballers are mercenaries and he scored a few goals for us. As mentioned above, thanks for the goal at Old Trafford and the winner against Arsenal.

Time for everybody to move on.

Speak for yourself. I'm not sure how he gets this natural goalscorer tag on the back of 16 goals in 3.5 years.

Good luck to him in the Championship, if he stays reasonably fit he should be able to get double figures this season. Overall I'm just glad he is (mostly) off the wage bill.

Hey I'm not claiming he was the Messiah, when we bought him I did think Eh? especially given his injury history, but for £4m that was loose change even then, his natural goalscorer tag came from his days with Swindon, Burnley, and QPR with strike rates of 57%, 50% & 55% thats a record not to be sniffed at, even if he wan't prolific for us based on previous reputation his mere presence on the pitch before this past season made defences a little wary..........he did score a few goals from nothing for us.

I was gonna say Wesley, but in reality he's more likely to kick ours.

I think it's more the 117 goals in 218 games before he signed for us that earned him the natural goalscorer tag.

Surprised he passed the medical - when he injured his shoulder and was sent to Colorado it was operated on and fixed, but he was told that one more bad landing resulting in further damage or a repeat of the injury would finish his career. Personally I think that it was after that injury that he started to go downhill.

Surprised he passed the medical - when he injured his shoulder and was sent to Colorado it was operated on and fixed, but he was told that one more bad landing resulting in further damage or a repeat of the injury would finish his career. Personally I think that it was after that injury that he started to go downhill.

Can't blame him if he was told that. It would always be nagging at the back of the mind.

Good shout That’s definitely when he started to go down hill

I remember him getting the ball in our half the running toward their goal but by the 18 yard area he had run out of steam and under pressure could only toe poke it for a goal kick ! For the first 50 yards it looked like a certain goal .................................

Was that the time he broke clear one on one from the halfway line and pulled up 20 yards later with a torn hamstring / calf / other ?

Was that the time he broke clear one on one from the halfway line and pulled up 20 yards later with a torn hamstring / calf / other ?
That was the same game he randomly kicked Lossl in the head.

Just when he had built up a bit of form. He was banned for 3 games but missed many more injured.

Poor signing.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

The sad thing is I reckon Saints fans generally went quite easy on him - valued his eye for goal and generally wanted him to get more gametime. Obviously when he did well he was popular but even when struggling many fans were reluctant to get on his back. Over time his fitness/effort/contribution just got increasingly worse and even the most supportive of fans found it difficult to justify him starting games.

His comments are more like someone who was a constant whipping boy of the fans, but it was far from it. He is clearly just a bit of an imbecile.