Charlie Austin - Sold to West Brom - 4M

Give it to Ron

Steve Bruce might just be stupid enough to take Austin to Newcastle. He'd fancy that move too.

If not, Villa might be the only (feasible) show in town.

Does the manager at Newcastle have much say in the transfers there? I thought that's partly why Benitez didn't want to stay.

Does the manager at Newcastle have much say in the transfers there? I thought that's partly why Benitez didn't want to stay.

I think it was because Mad Mike didn't share the same vision and aspirations for the club that Rafa did in terms of signings. Mind you, lets face it, a signing like Charlie Austin would be a real show of intent for this season - toon army would be blown away.

Austin was apparently close to a Newcastle move before coming here, so possible they look at it again (hopefully)

All the social media stuff doesn't bovver me - hes at the end of his Saints time now (either way) so anything he does now will upset some.

He knows his time is up too, so is trolling a little. Hes probably bored and a little torn. Does he want to take a wage drop? does he want to uproot and move again?

Hes 30 now so this next move is big and potentially his last - don't begrudge him taking some time to get that right.

If we didn't have 6-7 in a similar positions we wouldn't care too much - its not Austins fault that our recruitment has been horrible last few years.

Austin was apparently close to a Newcastle move before coming here, so possible they look at it again (hopefully)

All the social media stuff doesn't bovver me - hes at the end of his Saints time now (either way) so anything he does now will upset some.

He knows his time is up too, so is trolling a little. Hes probably bored and a little torn. Does he want to take a wage drop? does he want to uproot and move again?

Hes 30 now so this next move is big and potentially his last - don't begrudge him taking some time to get that right.

If we didn't have 6-7 in a similar positions we wouldn't care too much - its not Austins fault that our recruitment has been horrible last few years.

Can't argue with any of that.

Best we can hope for is a subsidised loan move. He isn't going to take a pay cut, no other club will offer him the same wage on top of a transfer fee. Try and get some of his wage off the bill this year and cut ties next year.

If there is an option out there for him for a 'longer term' contract, he'd be mad not to take it. He won't get that sort of security in 12 months time - not that he needs the money of course.

Steve Bruce might just be stupid enough to take Austin to Newcastle. He'd fancy that move too.

Hang on, I've been away. Is Steve Bruce the Newcastle manager?

:lol:

Best we can hope for is a subsidised loan move. He isn't going to take a pay cut, no other club will offer him the same wage on top of a transfer fee. Try and get some of his wage off the bill this year and cut ties next year.

If there is an option out there for him for a 'longer term' contract, he'd be mad not to take it. He won't get that sort of security in 12 months time - not that he needs the money of course.

would be naive for him to do that too though- he knows he is a busted flush so moving somewhere and doing cr*p jeopardises any potential move for him this time next year. By staying on the sidelines, he can convince another naive PL club next season to take a punt on him, providing he merely passes a medical.

would be naive for him to do that too though- he knows he is a busted flush so moving somewhere and doing cr*p jeopardises any potential move for him this time next year. By staying on the sidelines, he can convince another naive PL club next season to take a punt on him, providing he merely passes a medical.

That's nonsense. "Busted flush" ffs

He's 30. He will do a great job for someone but simply doesn't suit our (RH) style.

He will score goals and do very well if played to his strengths. He just isn't going to work effectively under RH.

See, neither of them seem to be saying "oh, and by the way, we will be freezing you out of the squad and make you train with the youth teams unless you agree to take a 50% paycut and **** off".

I know some people on this forum are of the "they're footballers, they're well paid so **** em" school of thought, but some of these people still have financial commitments that they rely on their contracts for.

Would you quit your job for a 50% paycut cos your company wanted to end your contract early cos they made a mistake hiring you? **** no.

Think some of you guys need a little perspective in life TBH.

UJ, it DOES happen in real employment. I have had my contracts cut short, with both the contractual notice period and with no notice (despite the term). We'd probably give him compensation for loss of office ie. severance pay. Charlie should accept the club is under new ownership and management and accept revised terms or look to find a new employer himself. Digging his heels in and expecting the new club management to honour his contract is stretching his employment terms. In the real world, we can all be given notice. Only in football is there a "deal cannot be ended by employer" term.

Surely we should be pointing our finger at the people who gave him a £80k pw contract (if indeed that is what he is on) It is scandalous what contracts Les etc was handing out. Hopefully now he is gone there is a bit more sense going on

That's nonsense. "Busted flush" ffs

He's 30. He will do a great job for someone but simply doesn't suit our (RH) style.

He will score goals and do very well if played to his strengths. He just isn't going to work effectively under RH.

As long as he doesn't have to run or move further than a barstool is to a bar. It is obvious he cant sprint anymore and is constantly worriedhis hamstring willgo at any time

As long as he doesn't have to run or move further than a barstool is to a bar. It is obvious he cant sprint anymore and is constantly worriedhis hamstring willgo at any time

He's never been a sprinter or particularly fast

He's a poacher and scores goals. He will again. Just unlikely for us

Like you said above... He's still here as club gave him a ridiculous contract, not because of abilities

I guess we all remember the time when good players didn't want to stay because we didn't pay well enough. Now we pay so well nobody wants to leave... ironic isn't it.

Is this what we wished for, perhaps we should have taken more care?

I think you'll find that is why Les Reed was removed from office! Fans of other clubs ask me why we haven't spent the VVD money. I explain we have - on doubling the wages of those left here!!

As you say, now they are sat pretty on megabuck wages.

UJ, it DOES happen in real employment. I have had my contracts cut short, with both the contractual notice period and with no notice (despite the term). We'd probably give him compensation for loss of office ie. severance pay. Charlie should accept the club is under new ownership and management and accept revised terms or look to find a new employer himself. Digging his heels in and expecting the new club management to honour his contract is stretching his employment terms. In the real world, we can all be given notice. Only in football is there a "deal cannot be ended by employer" term.

And that's fine, but his severance pay would be the full amount remaining on his contract. It's like signing a 12 month FTC, with no option to give notice from the employer. As a contractor myself, I've had 2 week, 4 week and 3 month notice periods. On any of those, if they expected me to leave my role immediately I would expect full payment of the notice period - this pretty much what we are expecting him to waive.

He's never been a sprinter or particularly fast

He's a poacher and scores goals. He will again. Just unlikely for us

Like you said above... He's still here as club gave him a ridiculous contract, not because of abilities

Was it a ridiculous contract really?

Not really. What was it a 4.5 year deal? So would be akin to signing a £14m player and paying him £30k.

Quite. I’m sure there were people saying he’d earnt his entire salary just for his debut when he scored the winner at old Trafford!

Not that I agree but I also couldn’t say he’s been a waste of money either. His performances in the early days had him getting talk of an England callup

Surely we should be pointing our finger at the people who gave him a £80k pw contract (if indeed that is what he is on) It is scandalous what contracts Les etc was handing out. Hopefully now he is gone there is a bit more sense going on

Were you pointing the finger at the time he was signed?

Most people wanted us to 'show ambition' by trying to keep players. We are in the same position as a lot of English clubs in that players are being paid too much to countenance a move.

As far as I know, he wasn't actually. There was rumours about Newcastle but nothing to it.

Doesn't mean it couldn't happen this time. From what I understand Austin would prefer a move closer to home (Birmingham max) but at the end of the day - to use a classic footballer's phrase - it will, unsurprisingly, come down to money.

Pretty sure Bruce was Hull manager when they tried to get Austin, but he failed the medical.

Maybe a little input but not much. They don’t like spending big on older players.

If Newcastle were interested, I’d imagine it would be a loan.

Austin is incredibley thick.

How can he see Adams and Djenppo and think, yeah I have those attributes and will work in this side.

Go back to laying bricks, and hairdressers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hairdressers [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

That would probably be an 80% subsidy.

I'm not so sure. QPR have some mega rich dudes around.

Just finished Joey Bartons autobiography and he talks about his move from Newcastle to QPR. Says he really didn't want to move as felt settled at Newcastle. Goes on to say that he was earning £30k pw at Newcastle and thought he'd go proper ridiculous with his wage demands expecting QPR to say no chance

Says he asked for 80k pw and that Tony Fernandes paused for about 1 minute then says err would you take 76k pw

Also covered large % of Bartons wages during the Marseille loan.

Appreciate that's a few years ago and they may now be a little wiser/better at negotiations but across the QPR owners there is some serious wealth

I'm not so sure. QPR have some mega rich dudes around.

Just finished Joey Bartons autobiography and he talks about his move from Newcastle to QPR. Says he really didn't want to move as felt settled at Newcastle. Goes on to say that he was earning £30k pw at Newcastle and thought he'd go proper ridiculous with his wage demands expecting QPR to say no chance

Says he asked for 80k pw and that Tony Fernandes paused for about 1 minute then says err would you take 76k pw

Also covered large % of Bartons wages during the Marseille loan.

Appreciate that's a few years ago and they may now be a little wiser/better at negotiations but across the QPR owners there is some serious wealth

It caught up with them...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/44980113

Seems to be a bit of noise about Austin to NUFC for £8m. For him, if he can get a 3 year contract, it would be good even if at a slightly lower wage. Might suit all parties.

I think we’d take £4m at this rate. There’s no real credible link to Newcastle, though.

Fair comments. He just needs to keep his trap shut and make his choice. What i can't understand is him getting wound up by a few fans on twitter but then he is a bit of a hothead.

I don't begrudge any of the players sitting & taking the money if we were stupid enough to give them a contract. Hopefully the new team in place aren't as stupid as dear old Les. He got caught up in the success of previous transfers and thought he was better than he was.

Charlie is stuck between 12 months of a high wage and no football followed a much lower contract / standard of footty or maybe getting a 3 year contract somewhere in the middle. Tough choice, i guess its down to how much of the cash he has earnt over his career he has spunked up the wall and how much he loves money.

Funny thing is, how him and Lemina are acting on ****ter and Instasham..............will only damage any transfer.

Footballers, sometimes, are dumb.

It wont make any difference at all... social media should just be laughed at for what it is, attention seeking