Charlie Austin - Sold to West Brom - 4M

Give it to Ron

I’ve seen Fitzhugh Fella tweet that Austin fancies staying put & seeing out his contract.

It doesn't take a genius to work that out. He'll never get a wage packet like it again, of course he would choose to stay and take the money

It doesn't take a genius to work that out. He'll never get a wage packet like it again, of course he would choose to stay and take the money

Well, this creates a real dilemma for me. I’m already focused on making Forster's life hell so not sure how much time I’ll be able to devote to Austin.

We shouldn't be angry with the players on ridiculous wages here.

More angry with the idiots that gave them these contracts.

Like I said at the time.... Les Reed was slowly killing this club and it could still take 2-3 years to recover from his mismanagement

We shouldn't be angry with the players on ridiculous wages here.

More angry with the idiots that gave them these contracts.

Like I said at the time.... Les Reed was slowly killing this club and it could still take 2-3 years to recover from his mismanagement

And hes where now........English F.Ahttps://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwi34-bFxqrjAhWBZMAKHZq9DJoQFjABegQIAxAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Ffootball%2F2018%2Fdec%2F21%2Fles-reed-appointed-fa-technical-director-dan-ashworth&usg=AOvVaw1lqCsBSVFESC_DwjWFlfiC

Think his ego would push him to go out and play, and if he didnt then I doubt there would be a queue of great clubs in for him in a years time, even as a free agent.

A club like WBA on a 3 year deal would be a great move for him.

If I'm Charlie Austin I'm running down my contract 100% unless a club will offer me the same salary for at least a 2yr contract.

Run it down and get a nice signing on fee next year to balance out the lower wages I'll get.

Can't fault him and he can still score off the bench.

If I'm Charlie Austin I'm running down my contract 100% unless a club will offer me the same salary for at least a 2yr contract.

Run it down and get a nice signing on fee next year to balance out the lower wages I'll get.

Can't fault him and he can still score off the bench.

Not if Saints don't have room to include him in the 25 man squad list for the Premier League!

There's loyalty for you, not like Lemina.

Is that loyalty, or is that because he (quite rightly) thinks he won't be able to get the same contract elsewhere?

Not a dig btw as at his stage of his career it's an important thing to consider.

If someone is out there offering him a two year deal on reduced wages, why would we not sell him and pay the difference.

Pay him £70k a week, or pay him £20k and get an £8m transfer fee, seems a no brainer.

Maybe Austin hates the fans that had a go about him being a Liverpool supporter and he's decided to spite them by refusing to move?

Gotta weigh it up ain't he, make a move now while there's still a slight demand and set himself up with a 2-3 year contract (probably his last) or see out the final year of his contract on his current big salary. Bit of a gamble, if he decides to stick around he'll get little game time and in another fairly inactive year his age and fitness levels will have deteriorated even further. He may have nowhere to go.

Maybe Austin hates the fans that had a go about him being a Liverpool supporter and he's decided to spite them by refusing to move?

He gave fans the two fingers last season, long before the Liverpool shirt episode

Gotta weigh it up ain't he, make a move now while there's still a slight demand and set himself up with a 2-3 year contract (probably his last) or see out the final year of his contract on his current big salary. Bit of a gamble, if he decides to stick around he'll get little game time and in another fairly inactive year his age and fitness levels will have deteriorated even further. He may have nowhere to go.

He could keep his current wage if we agreed to subsidise it for a year, that was my point. I can’t see why we wouldn’t try and do that.

Yeah because if Man United came in for Austin he would stay put.

Bantz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bait well and truly taken. It's amazing that it's the same one or two gullible people that fall for it just for the sake of entering a post.

He could keep his current wage if we agreed to subsidise it for a year, that was my point. I can’t see why we wouldn’t try and do that.

I understand and agree with your point, it's really about how much Charlie Austin wants to actually play regular football.

That'll be IMO what'll happen. He'll go out on loan for his final year, bit like what we did with Steven Davis.

If someone is out there offering him a two year deal on reduced wages, why would we not sell him and pay the difference.

Pay him £70k a week, or pay him £20k and get an £8m transfer fee, seems a no brainer.

Or just reduce the transfer fee so the buying club can afford his wages?

He isn't good enough for the PL. He will probably never play another minute in the PL for any club.

If he wants to stay he will just be joining Forster in being a non playing PL player, so thats up to him if he wishes to go down that route. I think if he does it will finish him as he will lose any sharpness he still has.

Adams has been given Austin's no10 in the friendly today. Sure Saints have been very clear with him that he needs to leave. But of course, he has the final say and is entitled to turn dow any move that doesnt suit him.

i have never understood the reasoning for giving him such a good contract. Even at his best he wasn't worth that much.

Scored 18 Premier League goals the season before, striker, prime age (27) and a low transfer fee. Plenty of suitors from other clubs. There’s no reason to question the club on this transfer..

Scored 18 Premier League goals the season before, striker, prime age (27) and a low transfer fee. Plenty of suitors from other clubs. There’s no reason to question the club on this transfer..

I'd agree with that and say we've had decent value for the £4m he cost plus wages. Now the transfers of maybe Elynoussi and Hoedt and particularly Carrillo and the extension to an already lucrative contract for Forster could do with closer inspection. Everything about those last 2 just don't add up.

I think the problem stemmed from the exodus in previous seasons so Les thought that issuing long term contracts on big money would keep the players at Saints and if they wanted to go meant a big transfer fee . Unfortunately it didn't work out that way . The exodus IMO was due to Poch telling the players that the money was drying up and if they wanted to make a name for themselves then they should jump now along with him !

I think the problem stemmed from the exodus in previous seasons so Les thought that issuing long term contracts on big money would keep the players at Saints and if they wanted to go meant a big transfer fee . Unfortunately it didn't work out that way . The exodus IMO was due to Poch telling the players that the money was drying up and if they wanted to make a name for themselves then they should jump now along with him !

When was this said? I don't remember reading that anywhere...

I read it somewhere at the time and Koeman also left because of lack of investment / ambition . It came out while LaLa was throwing his toys out of his pram because he wanted to go to his spiritual home of L pool.

Do you believe everything you read?

I read it somewhere at the time and Koeman also left because of lack of investment / ambition . It came out while LaLa was throwing his toys out of his pram because he wanted to go to his spiritual home of L pool.

Koeman left because Everton offered him more money than he could refuse!