John Gittens

ecuk268

I knew him when he used to drink at Burridge Sports Club. Nice enough fella who played for both clubs. His story about Branfoot’s first team talk and the ‘WTF’ reaction the team had was a real insight.

RIP, 55 no age. Thoughts with his family.

I knew him when he used to drink at Burridge Sports Club. Nice enough fella who played for both clubs. His story about Branfoot’s first team talk and the ‘WTF’ reaction the team had was a real insight.

RIP, 55 no age. Thoughts with his family.

What was that story?

Very sad, was he ill? Very young, especially for someone who appeared fit and healthy.

The first game I saw him play at the Dell he was up against Ian Rush and he had him his in his pocket all game. I thought we had got ourselves an absolute gem, a CB with both pace, power and positional play. Not sure why he didn't because a mainstay in our defence, but there were other decent CBs at the club I guess. That fantastic performance has stuck in my mind and is how I will remember him. 55 is no age.

Very sad. A very solid centre back and had two spells with us, which is rare.

Another defender lost to an early death. I've been supporting Saints since 1971 and I can think of 6 centre backs and 2 full backs who I have seen play for us who are now dead and 5 covering all other positions. Not a scientific study - and anyway I may have missed some.

RIP Jon (and all the others).