AGunn

Cabbage_Face

Remember when people were calling for him, best keeper we have.

Our fans.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji1419][emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every new keeper who arrives here is until Dave Watson gets to work on them. I remember how good Forster and McCarthy used to be.

Some stats:

Gunn save percentage is 0.646

McCarthy save percentage is 0.639

So Gunn's is very marginally better. As for clean sheets:

Gunn has 3 from 12 games a ratio of 0.25 clean sheets per game

whereas McCarthy has 4 from 25 games a ratio of 0.16 clean sheets per game

Here Gunn has a good edge but one could argue our defence has improved with the arrival of Bednarek and loss of Hoedt, something Gunn benefitted from over McCarthy.

For me the most important numbers is age though, Gunn is 22 and will improve with maturity and time. McCarthy is 28 and, whilst still in his prime for a goalkeeper, is much less likely to improve.

From this, along with watching both players, I think Gunn is the keeper we should continue to start in the future. One error doesn't change this too much for me to be honest, Allison made a similar error against leceister earlier in the season so it happens to the best of them.

Gunn is a quality young keeper !

One howler doesn’t change this and he’ll learn from it !

McCarthy is a good backup to him and the ‘statue’ needs to be moved on (if anyone will take him !!

We have many pressing problems in the squad which need to be addressed but this is not one of them !

All IMHO, of course!!

Some stats:

Gunn save percentage is 0.646

McCarthy save percentage is 0.639

So Gunn's is very marginally better. As for clean sheets:

Gunn has 3 from 12 games a ratio of 0.25 clean sheets per game

whereas McCarthy has 4 from 25 games a ratio of 0.16 clean sheets per game

Here Gunn has a good edge but one could argue our defence has improved with the arrival of Bednarek and loss of Hoedt, something Gunn benefitted from over McCarthy.

For me the most important numbers is age though, Gunn is 22 and will improve with maturity and time. McCarthy is 28 and, whilst still in his prime for a goalkeeper, is much less likely to improve.

From this, along with watching both players, I think Gunn is the keeper we should continue to start in the future. One error doesn't change this too much for me to be honest, Allison made a similar error against leceister earlier in the season so it happens to the best of them.

Fair enough, but I'm just wondering how someone who is younger has a guaranteed upwardly trajectory in terms of ability?

Gunn is a quality young keeper !

One howler doesn’t change this and he’ll learn from it !

McCarthy is a good backup to him and the ‘statue’ needs to be moved on (if anyone will take him !!

We have many pressing problems in the squad which need to be addressed but this is not one of them !

All IMHO, of course!!

Spot on!

Fair enough, but I'm just wondering how someone who is younger has a guaranteed upwardly trajectory in terms of ability?

I mean, it's a good point, some players go sideways but barring a major injury the effect of playing regular premier league football is atleast very likely to improve him. Especially considering that last season was his first season of regular first team football. I could be wrong, and I'm sure there are exceptions (normally due to a massive drop in confidence or aging) but I think it is worth the chance. This is likely a similar reason as to why RH has been starting and putting faith in Valery even though when he first came in he looked proper shaky and Cedric was the safe bet.