Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 91

Thread: Thank god this season is done

  1. #1

    Default Thank god this season is done

    This last game sums up the misery of this season. Glad it's all over - Ralph did what he needed but my god, he has a challenge on in the summer.

    Utterly forgettable season again and we have an absolutely dire squad. Another season of struggle beckons next season without a radical overhaul of the squad.

  2. Default

    Absolutely. I know people will say the last few games didn't matter but I'd have expected better results from the run-in that we had. 6 points from 6 games against, Wolves, Newcastle, Watford, Bournemouth, West Ham and Huddersfield is very poor. A major overhaul is definitely needed. The last 2 seasons have been ****e.

  3. Default

    ^ agreed. Another forgettable season for sure.

    Those crisitising RH for finishing 16th need to remember that he wasn't manager the full season.

    In fact if you look at the table since he arrived we would actually be 15th!!

    Big clear out needed. Same position as a year ago. But we now have RH over Hughes and importantly no Les Reed killing us.

    Onwards and upwards

  4. #4

    Default

    3 points better off than last season. Progress.

  5. #5

    Default

    Two more games we would be down! Form has gone totally since that wolves game culminating in home draws with udders and a bournemouth team that have been on the beach for months

    We need a complete overhaul and to cut out the many mistakes we make to keep giving leads away.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Shanghai
    Posts
    171

    Default

    **** me more whinging fans - this forum is the dictionary definition of a half glass empty. Enjoy the Summer and let Ralph get on with his job.

  7. #7

    Default

    A very poor end to the season after the Wolves win. A lot of work to do in the summer to avoid another relegation battle.

  8. #8

    Default

    We are the fu cking Dons when it comes to drawing football matches.

    Three seasons of it.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    27,606

    Default

    Poor end to the season
    But the job was done a couple of weeks ago and that was the main aim for Ralph.
    I have no doubt that we would be bottom of the league had the 'stuck' with Hughes.

    Ralph looks like a good manager but he does prefer 4222 formation. We clearly do not have the players to play it
    and despite what the dinlows say here, we require a decent chunk of changes to the side and actually sign some quality, to break into the top 10 next season.

  10. Default

    Yep, these last few games have underlined what a painfully average set of players we have at the moment and also what a great job Ralph has managed to do in the second half of the season to drag us out of the mire.

    The positive thing is nobody at the club should be under any illusions now about the amount of work that needs doing to the squad if we want to become a decent top half prem side again. I have faith in Ralph but he will need good support from above in the summer if we are to progress much next season.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    in clover
    Posts
    2,196

    Default

    Really disappointing finish to the season.
    We looked crap.
    Create chances but can't score them.
    Gunn's poor first touch just cost us 1.9 million and our pride - we couldn't even manage 40 points

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Fulchester
    Posts
    9,122

    Default

    Not a great season for various reasons, imo. That's not just with my saints hat on, but there is something fundamentally wrong with a league where 2nd/3rd place are separated by 25 points and 6th/7th by 11 points. Can't see that changing any time soon, the big boys really didn't take kindly to Leicester spoiling their cartel at all, did they....

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Without a Halo View Post
    Two more games we would be down! Form has gone totally since that wolves game culminating in home draws with udders and a bournemouth team that have been on the beach for months

    We need a complete overhaul and to cut out the many mistakes we make to keep giving leads away.
    Desire and urgency went once we won a game that made us virtually safe, shock horror!

  14. #14

    Default

    1 win at home against the teams 9-20....

    That's got to be a record in itself.

    Hopegully an unrepeatable one.

  15. Default

    Man city have picked up more points (19 in two season than we have in last 4 seasons (184)

    They have also scored more in 2 seasons (197) that we have in 4 seasons (182)

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sussex - previously New Milton & Kingsclere
    Posts
    3,751

    Default

    Sitting in the car, glad I’ve got to drive home because I wouldn’t want a beer in Wetherspoons after such a miserable afternoon.
    OK, so the Huddersfield goal was down to a silly mistake by Gunn, but the performance was dire. Ralph can only play the players he has and it’s worth remembering that when he came here, Saints were below Huddersfield in the table.
    The club has to unload half the squad at least and rebuild from the ground up.

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Liverpool/Winchester
    Posts
    1,400

    Default

    Austin looks like Aguero's fat dad with that haircut.

    Did the pitch invader try and poo in the goal.

    Can't wait for the summer clearout.


  18. #18

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Stalking Theo's Missus
    Posts
    12,759

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    ^ agreed. Another forgettable season for sure.

    Those crisitising RH for finishing 16th need to remember that he wasn't manager the full season.

    In fact if you look at the table since he arrived we would actually be 15th!!

    Big clear out needed. Same position as a year ago. But we now have RH over Hughes and importantly no Les Reed killing us.

    Onwards and upwards
    Well 15th is still dire.

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ex Belgium, now IoW (I think it's still part of Europe, though!)
    Posts
    4,542

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Man city have picked up more points (19 in two season than we have in last 4 seasons (184)

    They have also scored more in 2 seasons (197) that we have in 4 seasons (182)
    They have also spent the best part of a billion pounds since the Arabs took over !
    Not exactly a ‘like for like’ comparison, eh ??

  20. #20

    Default

    A few positives today. Redmond... spectacular. Ings, some promising touches and constantly fighting to win the ball... just not clinical in front of goal. But given we're stuck w him, I felt a little happier at what i saw today. Long also some great interplay, just not in the penalty area. Valery, a couple of glorious moments. I like our midfield. And when our defense is healthy, Bednarek, Vest, and Yosh are a strong base. So... i don't think the rebuilding project is quite as hard as some make out. The main thing we need: a striker with killer instinct.

  21. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkSaint View Post
    A few positives today. Redmond... spectacular. Ings, some promising touches and constantly fighting to win the ball... just not clinical in front of goal. But given we're stuck w him, I felt a little happier at what i saw today. Long also some great interplay, just not in the penalty area. Valery, a couple of glorious moments. I like our midfield. And when our defense is healthy, Bednarek, Vest, and Yosh are a strong base. So... i don't think the rebuilding project is quite as hard as some make out. The main thing we need: a striker with killer instinct.
    Pretty much every team needs a striker with killer instinct and ones who can do it in the PL are rare. I’m not sure it’s a realistic thing to hope for. Obviously it’s possible and would be brilliant if we could, but I think we’re better off focusing on a type of striker to suit our style of play. Is that a quick striker who doesn’t have the first touch or eye for goal of a Shlong, or one who can hold the ball up and be a threat from crosses?

    While I agree that there are some players in the squad who are decent enough, I also don’t look at the same players you’ve listed and think they are excellent. They’re just ‘ok’. Even our best players don’t ooze a different class - Hojbjerg is arguably one of our better players but if we put him up for sale who would be interested? I’d say at best Everton/Wolves, hardly a glowing representation of our squad if we have hopes of matching those clubs next season.

    The main thing is we stayed up and now have a manager who is capable of getting more rather than less out of a group of players. That in itself isn’t enough, but it is the single most important piece of the puzzle.
    Last edited by mrfahaji; 12-05-2019 at 05:34 PM.

  22. #22

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    22,327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by washsaint View Post
    This last game sums up the misery of this season. Glad it's all over - Ralph did what he needed but my god, he has a challenge on in the summer.

    Utterly forgettable season again and we have an absolutely dire squad. Another season of struggle beckons next season without a radical overhaul of the squad.
    Why do people just ignore the maths of it? Ralph is a good manager. So since he came in an average premier league squad has performed as it should.

    We were only in a relegation fight because of a dire manager. Hughes wouldn't have won more than a couple of games all season if he'd stayed, it was pathetic.

    So if we sign no one, we'd probably be lower mid table under Ralph. Sign a few good players and we could have a really good season.

    It's overhauls that just waste millions and get you in the mess in the first place. We need a couple of good attacking options and a CB. That's probably it. Gunn, Bertrand, Bednarek, Vesterguard, Valery, Romeu, Hojbjerg, JWP, Lemina and Redmond all have plenty to offer.

  23. Default

    Not at the game but the response says it all.

    This side is unfortunately the end result of Reeds influence over the last few years and we are now left with the dregs of a squad and a big majority of them not worth a bean.

    The damage done is going to take some time and investment to put right, whether or not Gao is up to it or not god knows. I am not exactly optimistic.

  24. #24

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    6,676

    Default

    For the third season running, delighted it's all over.

    See you in August for (hopefully) a far more enjoyable season.

  25. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shanghai Saint View Post
    **** me more whinging fans - this forum is the dictionary definition of a half glass empty. Enjoy the Summer and let Ralph get on with his job.
    - - - - me more glass full when clearly it is empty. Say it as it is, today was really poor again - no ifs, no buts just poor....
    You are not a better fan if you try to dress that up as something more positive than that.

  26. #26

    Default

    Yeah hopefully major restructuring in the summer because it’s been depressing again.
    Also Hopefully i’ll Never have to see the likes of Austin in a saints shirt again.

  27. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkSaint View Post
    And when our defense is healthy, Bednarek, Vest, and Yosh are a strong base. So... i don't think the rebuilding project is quite as hard as some make out.
    Delusional. Vestergaard can't play in a back four because he can't move. Bednarek has been all right - but is again wildly exposed in a back four due to poor mobility. No defence in the history of football with Yoshida in it has ever been described as a "strong base".

    Given that Hasenhuttl wants to play a back four, the fact that two centre backs don't have the attributes for it, and the other barely qualified as our third choice in the days when we had good defenders, I'd say the rebuild (not that I have any faith in it happening) is going to be extremely hard.


    Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

  28. #28

    Default

    People thinking a top 10 finish is near are deluded today was bad and shows we are light years away from 12th let alone top 10, tough job coming up but maybe with a few better players next year we may get to this point. one things for sure with this lot is the blind panic in the whole team with a simple punt up field good luck Ralph.

  29. Default

    That's the third dire season thanks to the management recruitment after Koeman left us, hard to stay interested to travel and watch a lot of the dross,last week at West Ham and today being typical of the season.

    We need a leader in defence and a goal scorer and no more "water carriers".

    Now we have Ralph on board we are due a decent season next time around. Unlike the previous three incumbents , I think we can put our trust in the manager and his efforts over the summer recruiting / shipping out and a strong hard working pre season.

  30. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by qwertyell View Post
    Delusional. Vestergaard can't play in a back four because he can't move. Bednarek has been all right - but is again wildly exposed in a back four due to poor mobility. No defence in the history of football with Yoshida in it has ever been described as a "strong base".

    Given that Hasenhuttl wants to play a back four, the fact that two centre backs don't have the attributes for it, and the other barely qualified as our third choice in the days when we had good defenders, I'd say the rebuild (not that I have any faith in it happening) is going to be extremely hard.


    Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk
    Spot on. None of our CBs are really good enough, but I have little faith that we'll be able to do much about it. If RH wants to play 4-2-2-2 and we can only make one CB signing, it'll need to be someone quick, with great leadership qualities, who also never, ever gets injured.

  31. #31

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Deepest Darkest Wiltshire
    Posts
    460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LGTL View Post
    For the third season running, delighted it's all over.

    See you in August for (hopefully) a far more enjoyable season.
    "Its the hope that kills you".......

  32. #32

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    5 metres outside the detailed bit on Google Earth
    Posts
    3,482

    Default

    We don't have one player I'd be that unhappy about losing. Not one.


    I've read occasionally people saying that PEH/JWP/Bednarek/Redmond are good, but they aren't good. We know they aren't good, we've had them a while and they have never stood out until the rest of the team was sufficiently poor to make "average" look good. Ralph has very little to work with and I can't imagine he'll be able to rebuild enough to make a huge difference next season. This is going to take a bit just to raise us from a poor team to an average team.

  33. #33

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South of the middle of Mid Devon
    Posts
    630

    Default

    Yep, roll on next season.

    Hopefully RH will get the backing he needs and get some decent players in who will be able to play his style of football.

  34. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by qwertyell View Post
    Delusional. Vestergaard can't play in a back four because he can't move. Bednarek has been all right - but is again wildly exposed in a back four due to poor mobility. No defence in the history of football with Yoshida in it has ever been described as a "strong base".

    Given that Hasenhuttl wants to play a back four, the fact that two centre backs don't have the attributes for it, and the other barely qualified as our third choice in the days when we had good defenders, I'd say the rebuild (not that I have any faith in it happening) is going to be extremely hard.


    Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk
    Nail on the head regarding our CB options.

    Massive improvement needed there and the amount of points we've dropped from winning positions throughout the season proves this.

  35. Default

    Thank god it's over. That's all I can say.

    Get rid of the majority and start again, it's the only way to fix it. Sadly, we will struggle to get anyone to take them as they're so bad and paid so much!

    God, what a mess.

  36. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkSaint View Post
    A few positives today. Redmond... spectacular. Ings, some promising touches and constantly fighting to win the ball... just not clinical in front of goal. But given we're stuck w him, I felt a little happier at what i saw today. Long also some great interplay, just not in the penalty area. Valery, a couple of glorious moments. I like our midfield. And when our defense is healthy, Bednarek, Vest, and Yosh are a strong base. So... i don't think the rebuilding project is quite as hard as some make out. The main thing we need: a striker with killer instinct.
    There was nothing positive in what I saw today, one of the worst displays of the season. If that's the standard, then we'll be following Huddersfield.

    Defence for me is where the big problems are. Yoshida is a decent squad player, but play him regular and you do leak goals. Bednerak is decent, but needs better and more mobile players around him. I'd say we need a RB, and at least one, if not two quick/powerful CB's in the summer who are suited to this league.

    Long is just average, has a purple patch every couple of years, but we need to be tough on guys like him. Is he really good enough? Sadly, for all his running and effort, his quality is very poor. Ings needs to step up very, very quickly for me - really want to like him, but I'm finding it very hard to enjoy his displays - if we didn't have an obligation to buy him I'd hand him back to Liverpool in the morning.

  37. Default

    Fans are not completely blameless in this whole mess.

    During all the Les Reed sales, duff replacements and during all the manager hires and fires and horrible performances, not a single protest or grumble at the board.

    Too polite, weak or just simply lack energy, ambition and passion on and off the pitch.

    As demonstrated on this forum it's frowned upon even now to critisise anything SFC.

    The weak "happy to have a club" fans have the club they've allowed.

  38. Default

    Textbook

  39. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Fans are not completely blameless in this whole mess.

    During all the Les Reed sales, duff replacements and during all the manager hires and fires and horrible performances, not a single protest or grumble at the board.

    Too polite, weak or just simply lack energy, ambition and passion on and off the pitch.

    As demonstrated on this forum it's frowned upon even now to critisise anything SFC.

    The weak "happy to have a club" fans have the club they've allowed.

    Yes but you, Cabbage Face and all your other sign ons do nothing but criticise. That is what makes you all so tedious.

    Perhaps stop being a "fan" and become a "supporter". The clue is in the name.

  40. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tamesaint View Post
    Yes but you, Cabbage Face and all your other sign ons do nothing but criticise. That is what makes you all so tedious.

    Perhaps stop being a "fan" and become a "supporter". The clue is in the name.
    FYI you can support the club without supporting the way it's managed.

    You don't have to be sappy, weak and submissive with all things SFC to be a fan

  41. #41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    FYI you can support the club without supporting the way it's managed.

    You don't have to be sappy, weak and submissive with all things SFC to be a fan

    …. and all your posts only criticise the way that the club is managed ?????

  42. #42

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    27,606

    Default

    cant wait till our top 10 squad is supplemented with Hoedt, Carillo, Cedric and Clasie.
    exciting times


  43. #43

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton, United Kingdom
    Posts
    8,455

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    cant wait till our top 10 squad is supplemented with Hoedt, Carillo, Cedric and Clasie.
    exciting times

    Just a few tweaks mate. No need for an overhaul.

    Top squad, this.

  44. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tamesaint View Post
    . and all your posts only criticise the way that the club is managed ?????
    You and many others remained completely silent during the clubs poor "management". You're now venting and looking for someone to blame.

    You have the SFC you've allowed.

    The real "fans" have been happy to sit silently and allow the clubs decline.

    The "trolls" have been angry, frustrated and vocal


    MLK: lives begin to end the day we become silent on things that matter.

  45. #45

    Default

    Get a decent goalscorer and those draws turn into wins, we move up the table and fans are happy(ish).

    Ralph didn't do a good job this season - he did a near miraculous one. We were on the verge of being cut adrift by a long way when he came, 9 points at the half way point was looking quite possible when Hughes was sacked. He steadied the ship very quickly, got us playing with energy and enthusiasm and managed to squeeze a few decent performances from the team.

    I think next season will be a lot better - as long as Ralph stays + he has a decent kitty to spend.

  46. #46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    cant wait till our top 10 squad is supplemented with Hoedt, Carillo, Cedric and Clasie.
    exciting times

    No place for Boufal then?

  47. #47

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ex Belgium, now IoW (I think it's still part of Europe, though!)
    Posts
    4,542

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    You and many others remained completely silent during the clubs poor "management". You're now venting and looking for someone to blame.

    You have the SFC you've allowed.

    The real "fans" have been happy to sit silently and allow the clubs decline.

    The "trolls" have been angry, frustrated and vocal


    MLK: lives begin to end the day we become silent on things that matter.
    As per every home game this season, I was sat in the Kingsland with ‘real fans’ who have opinions (sometimes positive, sometimes negative but always supportive) !
    Trolls like you do the club a disservice and do not share the passion and dedication of those who truly care !
    Take a look in the mirror some day and ask yourself if you really are a Saints fan because many posters on here suspect that you are not !!
    Ps. Hopefully you had a cheeky bet on a 1-1 draw today !

  48. #48

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bartonia 2, 000, 000 years ago
    Posts
    6,983

    Default

    Another one like these last 2 and I think I'll be done !

  49. #49

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ex Belgium, now IoW (I think it's still part of Europe, though!)
    Posts
    4,542

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simo View Post
    Another one like these last 2 and I think I'll be done !
    You’ve got a point, I shouldn’t rise to the bait, he gets up my nose and sometimes I can’t resist !!

  50. #50

    Default

    Some ups and downs, ups were definitely beating Spurs and Arsenal , actually winning some home games.

    Lows - some unbelievably shlte performances, Cardiff home / away, Huddersfield home, going out of both cups on pens and missing out of an away day to Accrington Stanley, we've got some very average players in the squad, tragic waste of wages with players out on loan and over reliance on youngsters from the academy, lucky Valery was able to step up

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •