LD Sports

EBS1980

Are you not missing the point?

My understanding is that; those asking questions about this deal are not worried about LD going pop and SFC missing out on some sponsorship income, but whether there is something a little more murky going on. i.e. is LD just going to become a conduit for money to escape from the club...or is the club being used to clear dirty money, with or without the knowledge of those in power at SFC.

I want SFC or LD to explain why there was a website that made some clearly spurious claims about the nature of LD's operations in the Southampton area. Who was that website aimed at and why?

Personally, I wouldn't even say it's anything as complicated that. I'm mostly concerned that if such a dubious sponsor is a) the best we could do & b) managed to get through our due diligence process with such glaring issues, it doesn't make me very optimistic about the running of the club and our future prospects.

Not sure if this was spotted earlier in the thread, but digging into the HTML of ldsports.uk reveals some more freaky things.

The HTML description is:

LDSports乐动体育是一家创新的体育媒体内容经营机构。通过对赛事的运作经营及按球迷需要制作的外延节目内容,成为各大体育赛事在中国地区最可信赖的合作者,各种媒体最有价值的体育内容供应及合作伙伴,共同为中国观众带来丰富、精彩的体育娱乐体验.

A quick google shows this is just this article with "Xinying Sports" replaced with "LDSports".

This is surreal

Are you not missing the point?

My understanding is that; those asking questions about this deal are not worried about LD going pop and SFC missing out on some sponsorship income, but whether there is something a little more murky going on. i.e. is LD just going to become a conduit for money to escape from the club...or is the club being used to clear dirty money, with or without the knowledge of those in power at SFC.

I want SFC or LD to explain why there was a website that made some clearly spurious claims about the nature of LD's operations in the Southampton area. Who was that website aimed at and why?

Cos that point is ridiculous based on nothing, i mean ffs you dont think money going OUT of the club to a sponsor, who money is supposed to come in from would be very obvious.

Until we have any evidence these are all just wild speculations being made on very little.

Not sure if this was spotted earlier in the thread, but digging into the HTML of ldsports.uk reveals some more freaky things.

The HTML description is:

A quick google shows this is just this article with "Xinying Sports" replaced with "LDSports".

This is surreal

Nice spot

Found this on Xingying sports launching a service to watch premier League last year.

http://westdollar.com/sbdm/forex/news/1611,20180807920854375.html

Edited by Convict Colony

The HTML description is:

This is surreal ��

The link is broken - not sure how you’ve jumped from LD Sports to Xinying Sports.

Edited by shurlock
link is working on a laptop.

Cos that point is ridiculous based on nothing, i mean ffs you dont think money going OUT of the club to a sponsor, who money is supposed to come in from would be very obvious.

Until we have any evidence these are all just wild speculations being made on very little.

It would show in the accounts eventually, yeah. So what? Doesn't mean it can't happen. It's happened to other clubs in the past.

If there is a complete absence of communication from the owners then of course people will speculate. The club should see that there is plenty of negative speculation and do something about it.

The fact that there continues to be zero communication is itself indicative of a problem, IMO.

It would show in the accounts eventually, yeah. So what? Doesn't mean it can't happen. It's happened to other clubs in the past.

If there is a complete absence of communication from the owners then of course people will speculate. The club should see that there is plenty of negative speculation and do something about it.

The fact that there continues to be zero communication is itself indicative of a problem, IMO.

Sorry, which clubs have paid money out to their shirt sponsors?

Sorry, which clubs have paid money out to their shirt sponsors?

Plenty of clubs have had weird sponsorship deals.

LD Sports is, allegedly, a sports development company with great big campuses and super-duper coaches.

Let's say we pay them a lot of money to build us some development centres in China, for example.

No idea if that's the plan and I'm not suggesting it is.

My point was that the idea that financial irregularities or abuse of the community asset don't happen because there's a thing called accounts is clearly nonsense.

See Portsmouth etc

But the reason there is speculation is because SFC have announced that LD sports have just signed a record deal to be our shirt sponsors. This is despite the fact that there are/were claims on the LD sport website that they have these big training centres in the Southampton area and employ lots of people. These claims don't appear to be based on reality do they? A lie of that nature would not be that hard for SFC to spot, so how/why did the deal go through. Did the club not say, wait a min, there is something fishy going on here, why are you lying about employing lots of people at non-existent training centres? What do you actually do and where is this sponsorship money coming from?

One conclusion that you might draw from that, is that the club very much wanted the deal to go through, despite the fact that the deal smelled rather rotten. Why? What links if any are there between LD and Gao? Is any SFC money going to go the other way, to LD sports perhaps in some "partnership" deal?

Who was the LD website aimed at, Chinese investors perhaps, as it certainly was not going to fool many people from the Southampton area, was this a questionable fund raising exercise? What exactly do LD do, and how do they have the funds to lash out on our record sponsorship deal?

But the reason there is speculation is because SFC have announced that LD sports have just signed a record deal to be our shirt sponsors. This is despite the fact that there are/were claims on the LD sport website that they have these big training centres in the Southampton area and employ lots of people. These claims don't appear to be based on reality do they? A lie of that nature would not be that hard for SFC to spot, so how/why did the deal go through. Did the club not say, wait a min, there is something fishy going on here, why are you lying about employing lots of people at non-existent training centres? What do you actually do and where is this sponsorship money coming from?

One conclusion that you might draw from that, is that the club very much wanted the deal to go through, despite the fact that the deal smelled rather rotten. Why? What links if any are there between LD and Gao? Is any SFC money going to go the other way, to LD sports perhaps in some "partnership" deal?

Who was the LD website aimed at, Chinese investors perhaps, as it certainly was not going to fool many people from the Southampton area, was this a questionable fund raising exercise? What exactly do LD do, and how do they have the funds to lash out on our record sponsorship deal?

Yeah, but auditors and accounts. Stop with this wildness.

What we need is a local journalist with true investigative skills to find out for definite as there’s literally no communication from the club.

Oh.

Were talking China here, so any truthful investigative journno would probably very difficult to come across given the secerative nature of the country as a whole .

Were talking China here, so any truthful investigative journno would probably very difficult to come across given the secerative nature of the country as a whole .

Simple task: does Gary Diaz, a member of LD Sports senior management team, work at the Saints Academy as claimed on their now defunct website?

That would take 5 mins to ascertain but you’re more likely to find our local journos having a jolly with the curry club in a happy hot tub than doing serious work.

Edited by shurlock

The website may have been a test website which was up in error...quite often these type of sites are full of made up stuff.

Yeah, it wasn't a test website.

You'd publish a test website with dummy text, not specific text detailing out spurious claims about their links to Southampton.

I did a html review on the site and there is some hidden Chinese symbols somewhere which translates as "An innovative sports media content management organization. Through the operation of the event and the content of the extended programs produced by the fans, it has become the most reliable partner of all major sports events in China. The most valuable sports content suppliers and partners of various media will bring together the Chinese audience. A rich and exciting sports and entertainment experience"

I did a html review on the site and there is some hidden Chinese symbols somewhere which translates as "An innovative sports media content management organization. Through the operation of the event and the content of the extended programs produced by the fans, it has become the most reliable partner of all major sports events in China. The most valuable sports content suppliers and partners of various media will bring together the Chinese audience. A rich and exciting sports and entertainment experience"

That is basically a translation of the Chinese text posted by oldeuboi above (#354). It turns out that text is lifted directly from another company “Xinying Sports”, though that’s not uncommon in China, especially since business-speak is pretty formulaic.

That is basically a translation of the Chinese text posted by oldeuboi above (#354). It turns out that text is lifted directly from another company “Xinying Sports”, though that’s not uncommon in China, especially since business-speak is pretty formulaic.

Ahhh, missed that- cheers

The link is broken - not sure how you’ve jumped from LD Sports to Xinying Sports.
If I click on that link I first get:

3f999321dba5ec68ae6396865429766a.jpg

Then after 5 seconds it automatically redirects to:

e30c025a1157f661349e079a6d1f4f58.jpg

I initially thought those were squirrels in the top middle thumbnail but upon closer inspection they look more like shih tzus IMO. Shame.

Edited by trousers

If I click on that link I first get:

3f999321dba5ec68ae6396865429766a.jpg

Then after 5 seconds it automatically redirects to:

e30c025a1157f661349e079a6d1f4f58.jpg

I initially thought those were squirrels in the top middle thumbnail but upon closer inspection they look more like shih tzus IMO. Shame.

The link works on a desktop. It appears our friends have lifted (or plagiarised) the text from another company: that company Xinying Sports (新英体育) recently signed an agreement with iQiYi (爱奇艺), a huge video streaming service in China with global ambitions to bring together and consolidate all their sports content in a new entity, iQiYi Sports. That includes broadcasting rights to PL football in China.

The (unverified) version I have heard is that the sponsors are a Chinese SME putting all their marketing funds towards getting international coverage. No idea what they do, but if you think in terms of company size, they are Veho not Virgin. (No disrespect to Veho intended)

The (unverified) version I have heard is that the sponsors are a Chinese SME putting all their marketing funds towards getting international coverage. No idea what they do, but if you think in terms of company size, they are Veho not Virgin. (No disrespect to Veho intended)

Isn't LD Sports basically Lander Development Sports?

The CEO/MD seems to be the same person as the MD of the marketing agency the club have been using in China to raise awareness of Saints FC in the market.

Looks to me like we were all set for Virgin to continue as the main sponsor but disagreed on the price at the last minute. I am guessing they wanted to pay a lot less - and we couldn't find another sponsor at short notice. So they have dropped to secondary sponsor (sleeves and women's team and U23 team) and Gao and Co have created LD Sports to fill the hole.

I expect its also a way of Gao putting money in to the club for player signings and wages without breaking the FFP rules. If he loans or invests money directly doesn't it have to be for infrastructure?

Will they use LD Sports to promote Saints and try and make money out of football academies and other stuff in China - probably and it may be part of this larger plan for Lander Development that's been talked about. But primarily I think it was a quick fix to a sponsorship problem.

The CEO/MD seems to be the same person as the MD of the marketing agency the club have been using in China to raise awareness of Saints FC in the market.

Looks to me like we were all set for Virgin to continue as the main sponsor but disagreed on the price at the last minute. I am guessing they wanted to pay a lot less - and we couldn't find another sponsor at short notice. So they have dropped to secondary sponsor (sleeves and women's team and U23 team) and Gao and Co have created LD Sports to fill the hole.

I expect its also a way of Gao putting money in to the club for player signings and wages without breaking the FFP rules. If he loans or invests money directly doesn't it have to be for infrastructure?

Will they use LD Sports to promote Saints and try and make money out of football academies and other stuff in China - probably and it may be part of this larger plan for Lander Development that's been talked about. But primarily I think it was a quick fix to a sponsorship problem.

If this is the case, why did the club not say so? Why was the dodgy website put together? Are we sure that this is a method of bringing funds into the club, rather than the creation of an entity that would allow funds to exit the club?

No the club categorically stated that Ledong sports is not associated with Lander Sports Development or Gao. The guy you have in mind -Justin Tan- is not the same person as the MD of the marketing agency that the club have been using in China -same name, different people (Justin Tan is a pretty common name in China fwiw). At any rate, Justin Tan is not the CEO of Ledong Sports. A Daniel Knox reportedly is. Other than that you’re spot on :lol:

If this is the case, why did the club not say so? Why was the dodgy website put together? Are we sure that this is a method of bringing funds into the club, rather than the creation of an entity that would allow funds to exit the club?

Not you as well. How would this reverse sponsorship deal work? FFS GAO owns 80% of the club, he could just charge a management fee to the club and take money out that way. I’m not saying LD Sports is or isn’t legit, but some of the nonsense on here is, well, nonsense.

Not you as well. How would this reverse sponsorship deal work? FFS GAO owns 80% of the club, he could just charge a management fee to the club and take money out that way. I’m not saying LD Sports is or isn’t legit, but some of the nonsense on here is, well, nonsense.

. Edit.

Edited by benjii

Nope. Clubs can 'lose' up to £105m over three seasons as long as the owner is prepared to foot the bill by injecting equity into the club (i.e. paying off the debt). No need to dice around with dubious sponsorship deals - Gao could hand over an additional £35m per season in new cash (or the whole £105m in one season if he fancies it) without incurring any penalty at all from the Premier League.

But as someone said above, neither is this likely to be a way of removing money from the club - as the majority shareholder, it's not like Gao needs elaborate schemes to do that.

Mostly they just seem tin pot, and unlikely to be around for very long.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Interesting that yesterday Brighton announced a big 12 year extension to their deal with Amex, worth over £100m apparently.

Somewhat puts into context our deal with what is effectively a company that doesn't exist, into the shade.

Its also not just about money. I know Amex, as well as employing a few thousand in Brighton & Sussex, also do a lot in the local area, and are a key partner with Albion In the Community, the Brighton equivalent of the Saints Foundation.

Surely more will come out about LD and I would expect it to be a topic at next weeks fans forum.

A simple "How does our sponsor generate the money to pay us for the sponsorship?" would be an interesting start.

Last night I posed the question ‘Who are LD Sports?’ to Matt Le Tiss at his Football Chat evening at the Concorde Club. I figured he’d be able to provide a definitive answer, seeing as though he attended the launch in Macau.

I’ve tried my best to remember his answer word for word:

‘It’s an interesting concept. A new concept. One I don’t completely understand. I’m finding it rather confusing but they definitely exist as I’ve met them. I’m not sure how a new business with a few social media followers can be sponsoring a Premier League football team, but they pay the bills and that’s what matters.’

This answer might be more telling than a prescripted one from the club next Thursday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last night I posed the question ‘Who are LD Sports?’ to Matt Le Tiss at his Football Chat evening at the Concorde Club. I figured he’d be able to provide a definitive answer, seeing as though he attended the launch in Macau.

I’ve tried my best to remember his answer word for word:

‘It’s an interesting concept. A new concept. One I don’t completely understand. I’m finding it rather confusing but they definitely exist as I’ve met them. I’m not sure how a new business with a few social media followers can be sponsoring a Premier League football team, but they pay the bills and that’s what matters.’

This answer might be more telling than a prescripted one from the club next Thursday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt's never been the sharpest in the business arena.