LD Sports

EBS1980

I dont get the squirrel stuff

Look at the picture in the thread; 5 happy, smiling faces. At least I think the squirrel is smiling..

Anyway, perhaps the new company is one of those crowd sourced thingummyjigs, and being Chinese it was a big crowd? It all seems a bit odd. Presumably if they are going to do a proper launch it will be after the European finals?

I've heard that the Chinese government has some strategic aims with regard to football, but this all seems a bit amateurish.

Remember when everyone shot ericb down, when he suggested that Mr Gao wasn’t interested in the club per say, but the surrounding area........

It’s one academic speculating about the deal -and frankly his theory is bit of a reach.

Remember when everyone shot ericb down, when he suggested that Mr Gao wasn’t interested in the club per say, but the surrounding area........

If that's true then it's not Mr. Gao that's interested and he is just a stooge.

And if was part of a state initiative then he wouldn't have struggled to cobble together the purchase money.

Unless he has come under state influence since the deal was first done.

Edited by benjii

And if was part of a state initiative then he wouldn't have struggled to cobble together the purchase money.

Unless he has come under state influence since the deal was first done.

Indeed and that’s why he had to resort to elaborate offshore and presumably expensive financing arrangements to fund the purchase of the club.

Even if the purchase is state-funded -no doubt of interest to PL authorities- and we accept Chadwick’s theory for the sponsorship deal, it doesn’t really lend support to those who believe its about getting a foothold in the infrastructure market (again no explanation why you need to buy a football club to do so - just ask Huawei). Rather Chadwick is speculating that something else is going on here, that sponsorship is ultimately about gaining control of PL and media distribution rights. Then again, Chadwick has taken the OS description of LD sports at face value and hasn’t interrogated the company’s absolute s**tshow of a backstory on its now defunct Chinese site.

Edited by shurlock

This deal is awesome. We now have a dodgy, invisible Chinese sponsor to add to a dodgy, invisible Chinese owner. Good thing we don't have all our eggs in one basket when it all goes tits up.

I am in China at present and this makes great conversation. Nobody here has ever heard of the aforementioned dodgy owner and he is as big a nobody in his home country as he is in Southampton. A quick search on the Chinese internet yielded quite a few smirks from those doing the searching.

The squirrel is our big summer replacement for Charlie Austin.

Cabbage_Face = ITK

Just imagine for a second that we do actually spend a load more money net this summer than we have previously. I predict now that you'll get a load of people on here saying how great it is but the reality is that it will be another sign that something dodgy is going on here and ultimately its going to be detrimental to the club I love.

Out of interest and probably ignorance, is state ownership

1 - against PL / FL rules?

2 - a bad thing? Surely they’d want to keep the club in the PL for maximum exposure and would have more funds than a Gao?

2 - a bad thing? Surely they’d want to keep the club in the PL for maximum exposure and would have more funds than a Gao?

Depends what you think a football club should be, I guess.

But either way, the lack of transparency, the weird websites, the silence over strategy, the initial failing of the owner's test....

Imagine if Ralph hadn't worked out and we'd been relegated. The club would be in an absolutely awful mess and these issues would be in the spotlight. Just because we got a manager who worked well doesn't mean these concerns aren't valid.

Leaving aside the fact that the club forcefully denies these links, let’s remember that the lander stake was sold to a state agency at the municipal or city-level, Chengdu State Assets Administration Commission.

Of course, China being China, Chengdu’s economy is big but it shouldn’t been confused with the Chinese state as a whole, not least as local government in China has always enjoyed a significant amount of autonomy.

Not according to the club. They’re claiming that the club is funded by the Gao family’s own private wealth.

Would be interesting to know in what entity the 200m to mcquarrie bank is written up to ....lander or Mr Gao ? I suspect its Lander and not nellie and daddy

Leaving aside the fact that the club forcefully denies these links, let’s remember that the lander stake was sold to a state agency at the municipal or city-level, Chengdu State Assets Administration Commission.

Of course, China being China, Chengdu’s economy is big but it shouldn’t been confused with the Chinese state as a whole, not least as local government in China has always enjoyed a significant amount of autonomy.

How does the tax system work over there in relation to where finances for local Government comes from? If they have decent autonomy I assume they tax residents themselves in the same way we would with council Tax, rather than paying into states and handouts to the provinces?

I'm with the people who are asking questions here.

We have an owner who has never said a thing, we have no idea what his intentions are.

We now have a new shirt sponsor, supposedly the biggest sponsorship in our history, by a company who is from China, yet to exist, and has links to Gao.

It absolutely reeks and stinks and I hate it, I’ve hated Gao being in charge from the day it was announced as it stunk even whilst they were negotiating.

This has probably made my mind up about renewal to be honest.

How does the tax system work over there in relation to where finances for local Government comes from? If they have decent autonomy I assume they tax residents themselves in the same way we would with council Tax, rather than paying into states and handouts to the provinces?

The big problem in China is that tax revenue is far more centralised than spending. Local government collects about 60% of total taxes (though it has very little say over how the base or rate is defined or set). By contrast, local government accounts for roughly 85% of general government budgetary spending -everything from health and education to the public pension system and unemployment insurance which is virtually unique in the world.

Many local governments are therefore reliant on transfers from central government which can be highly unpredictable and politicised. Not surprisingly many have significant deficits -and have turned to various activities -offbudget borrowing, speculative investment and predatory taxation etc- to finance their spending. Unless there’s real fiscal reform in China to address these imbalances, some of this will likely end in tears.

Edited by shurlock

We have an owner who has never said a thing, we have no idea what his intentions are.

We now have a new shirt sponsor, supposedly the biggest sponsorship in our history, by a company who is from China, yet to exist, and has links to Gao.

It absolutely reeks and stinks and I hate it, I’ve hated Gao being in charge from the day it was announced as it stunk even whilst they were negotiating.

This has had the exact same effect on me with my renewal.

Who the hell is our money going to right now?

The problem, even back then, was there was hardly good intel on him either. It was all slightly murky & hasn’t ever stopped.

?type=responsive-gallery

The takeover seemed a bit shady from day 1, but how it has played out so far had calmed my nerves a little. However this sponsorship agreement brings my initial fears back and looks dodgy as **** tbh.

It seems a few may know a bit more, but are keeping their cards close whilst carefully dropping hints. A lot of cloak & dagger.

I understand keeping certain footballing topics like transfers etc. non-committal, but if there is something going on which threatens the future of the club then put your ******** on the table. I have been in the same situation in the past on 1 occasion and have zero regrets.

The port of Southampton isn't owned by anyone in Southampton. It's owned by a consortium that includes the Kuwait government and a Canadian pension fund, so buying the local football club is unlikely to be part of any sensible acquisition strategy.

Yes, I do. What's happening to prove him right?

If anyone wants to invest billions in property development in Southampton, they need to buy some land and then cosy up to the council.

Buying local football club: utterly utterly irrelevant.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I've just handed over £1440 to a company who I don't really know who the owner is, nor who the backers are, nor what the intentions are. I know the product, but what standard I'll get is somewhat unknown.

I was obviously joking.

TBH the standard is nearly always unknown.

I've just handed over £1440 to a company who I don't really know who the owner is, nor who the backers are, nor what the intentions are. I know the product, but what standard I'll get is somewhat unknown.

isn`t this the same every season....you could to an extent, say this every time that there is a change in ownership.

Friends, friends, what is the issue here?

It all seems perfectly straightforward and above board to me.

Any club worth its salt would come out and soothe any underlying misgivings ASAP. And our club is well run, yes?

Also, I hear the five pledges will be listed on the front page when the website goes live, so there's always that. :lol:

isn`t this the same every season....you could to an extent, say this every time that there is a change in ownership.

Of course, but usually there are some platitudes to hang on to, whether they turn out to be hollow or not.

Yes, I do. What's happening to prove him right?

If anyone wants to invest billions in property development in Southampton, they need to buy some land and then cosy up to the council.

Buying local football club: utterly utterly irrelevant.

The council have turned the club down from buying land near the stadium and they were too slow getting in an application to buy the concrete works.

?type=responsive-gallery

Ah good old Kirk and his friend.

Out of interest, are you content and happy with what's going on? I just feel slightly uneasy about shelling my money into what potentially looks like becoming some sort of financial vehicle. It’s all shady and has been since we first heard about the ‘potential’ takeover.

The council have turned the club down from buying land near the stadium and they were too slow getting in an application to buy the concrete works.
So a completely pointless exercise.

If all they wanted to a achieve is a failed attempt to buy some land in Southampton then they could have very easily done that without going through the whole rigmarole of buying the football club.