Expectations for Next Season

miserableoldgit

I love Ralph and I think the job he’s done improving the mentality of both the players and then by proxy us as the fans is incredible. I still think tactically the jury is out somewhat, there’s been a few odd decisions with substitutions, a few questionable starting line ups, and some of our defending has still been poor. My main hope is that we make the most of this preseason to build and work upon the squad to make it into Ralph’s image, so when the season starts we as fans can understand the plan and get on board with what the team are trying to achieve in terms of style.

I don’t like to use table position as a definition of success because so much depends on the congestion of the teams around you, as Puel’s season proved, 8th place doesn’t necessarily mean a brilliant season. In my opinion if we can get to 50 points I’d be ecstatic. But any sort of progression and not looking like we’re in trouble, whilst playing with a positive style and competing in every game will be good for me.

Ralph amassed 5 points less than Spurs (for example), since he took over from Hughes. Under Ralph we were 1 point shy of being a top 10 side* (thanks a bunch Angus... ;) )... Ergo... Assuming we improve our decidedly average squad, logic would suggest finishing 10th or higher is achievable.

* "Yeah, but, Ralph said blah blah blah" © Batman 2019 ;)

In the same period of Ole being united manager, he ahs sat above pochettino in the form table. (some stat found online)

Do you think man United are better than spurs?

Neither do I

In the same period of Ole being united manager, he ahs sat above pochettino in the form table. (some stat found online)

Do you think man United are better than spurs?

Neither do I

I think this is where the esteemed Glasgow 'Saint' would introduce the momentum curve philosophy into the conversation...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non_sequitur

Edited by trousers

Survival again next season I’m afraid. Anyone thinking top half of the table didn’t watch us out played by Huddersfield last week! In reality there’s huge amount of rebuilding to do and I don’t think there is the money or people at the top to do it. However if Ralph is still here at kick off for the first game we should be ok

Going to be tougher next year with the promoted teams. Had we won at home to Cardiff and Man Utd not collapsed on the final day, we could have stayed with 5 wins and 13 draws, or six wins and 10 draws. That's how terrible the bottom three were.

Next season, on the face of it, there are no ultra-weak teams - expect maybe Sheff Utd?

Could be a lot more to stay up next season, I'd take 15th/16th if offered right now, I think.

Edited by SaintBobby

Mid table and Ralph will be off in summer to spuds....

Do you think Ole will last till january then?...............and if spuds win champions league why would he want to move on?.....maybe ralf to utd...?...hope not just say no Saints and build something meaningful here, not just one or two season wonders.

Going to be tougher next year with the promoted teams. Had we won at home to Cardiff and Man Utd not collapsed on the final day, we could have stayed with 5 wins and 13 draws, or six wins and 10 draws. That's how terrible the bottom three were.

Next season, on the face of it, there are no ultra-weak teams - expect maybe Sheff Utd?

Could be a lot more to stay up next season, I'd take 15th/16th if offered right now, I think.

Admire your persistence peddling this horsesh1t.

You realise Cardiff won 10 games and still got relegated. 5 should do it though.

Expectations depend on who goes and who comes in. Get rid of the dross, sign a pacey forward, attacker and CB who are first team ready starters and we will be okay, 12-16th.

Spend cheap on more unproven unknowns and we will be skirting with disaster again.

I think two of three who come up will go straight down again. Norwich, Sheffield and Derby/ Villa are nothing special.

A season of mediocrity awaits I fear. Which is an upgrade on the below average of the last three years!

A good transfer window (front man, attacking midfielder and CB in whilst offloaded the deadwood) and there is no reason we can’t be up there challenging for 7th/8th. Outside the top 6 there is not much between any of the mid table sides.

If we don’t strengthen then it will be a struggle again, we’ve been lucky in the last two seasons with the bottom three being as bad as they were, can’t see survival being that easy next year.

Admire your persistence peddling this horsesh1t.

You realise Cardiff won 10 games and still got relegated. 5 should do it though.

Not next season. 8-10 probably. Obviously, 38 draws might be enough. But I doubt that next season, could be nearer 40 than 30 to stay up.

All depends. We have a top half coach, but we have a dreadful squad. All of our best players are distinctly average. With new players, somewhere mid table, with largely the same team, lower half, probably avoiding relegation. There's only so far you can go with a team like ours.

I don’t think we’ll see the type of player turnaround that we’re all hoping for and even incoming players will likely need time to adjust. I like Ralph and yes he’s made a difference, but there have been cracks - large ones. For me I think theres a chance of another relegation struggle, but overall I’m in the 14th group.

Not next season. 8-10 probably. Obviously, 38 draws might be enough. But I doubt that next season, could be nearer 40 than 30 to stay up.

I'm not sure you can say that as any more than a hunch really. I don't think many expected Fulham to be quite so bad as they were. Although Huddersfield were one of the favourites to go down, doubt anyone saw them being quite so awful. Are Sheffield United and Derby (if they win) obviously stronger than Cardiff and Fulham?

I'm not sure you can say that as any more than a hunch really. I don't think many expected Fulham to be quite so bad as they were. Although Huddersfield were one of the favourites to go down, doubt anyone saw them being quite so awful. Are Sheffield United and Derby (if they win) obviously stronger than Cardiff and Fulham?

Yep, it is just a hunch. It seems to me - as a very early guess - that the teams coming up maybe look better equipped than those going down. Also, looking at the 17 staying up, I can’t really name any that I’m super-confident we will finish ahead of.

Yep, it is just a hunch. It seems to me - as a very early guess - that the teams coming up maybe look better equipped than those going down. Also, looking at the 17 staying up, I can’t really name any that I’m super-confident we will finish ahead of.

Norwich aren't anywhere near as good as Wolves were, Sheff Utd might be about the same as Cardiff, Derby and Villa will lose their loanees and I don't think Derby aren't very good at all.

Burnley - effective but dire and don't have a great squad

Brighton - not very good but new boss could improve them

Bournemouth - usually too good for a relegation battle but might struggle if they lose Wilson and Fraser

Newcastle - always rumblings of Benitez leaving, but if he stays they will be fine

Palace - think they will be fine under Hodgson but they have a couple of stand out players they'd struggle to replace

Watford - not convinced about their squad but they always seem to be effective. Feasible they might not do as well next season.

I think to overhaul Everton, West Ham, Wolves & Leicester we'll need to see something drastic. The other teams we could feasibly match but much will depend on our (and their!) transfer activity.

I'm certainly not super-confident either, but I don't think 11th-14th is an unreasonable ambition.

Expectations ? We'll probably lose more games than we win, be lower mid-table and maybe have a bit of a league cup run.

Our squad isn't good enough really and I doubt that that will change.

Agree top 15 at the moment may change if we get in decent players

Agree top 15 at the moment may change if we get in decent players

Don't really see who we're likely to get that would improve our group with reference to the very top clubs. We need to make sure that we have what's necessary to beat the real dross and not lose twice to whatever crap replaces Cardiff, Fulham and Huddersfield.

What should worry us all is that Ralph doesn't really believe in us being anything other than a mid-table team, I was surprised to hear him say in his big interview that the "privilege" of us being able to play 12 matches per season against European League status teams was his/our champions league. That to me smacks of lost hope of us ever being a top six challenger again which isn't much of a prospect to look forward to and certainly not what most fans want to hear.

You can't settle for mediocrity these days as others with more ambition will rightly take our place and there are plenty of them. WE either keep improving and looking upwards or we are dead meat.

What should worry us all is that Ralph doesn't really believe in us being anything other than a mid-table team, I was surprised to hear him say in his big interview that the "privilege" of us being able to play 12 matches per season against European League status teams was his/our champions league. That to me smacks of lost hope of us ever being a top six challenger again which isn't much of a prospect to look forward to and certainly not what most fans want to hear.

You can't settle for mediocrity these days as others with more ambition will rightly take our place and there are plenty of them. WE either keep improving and looking upwards or we are dead meat.

But it's also totally realistic for every team outside the top 6. Even Everton finishing 6th takes some imagination. With the vast amounts of money at the top it's hard to see how it can change in the near future. They will probably be the top 6 after 5 games and there will be no looking back.

I liked our model of aiming to be the 'best of the rest' and being in a position to take advantage of any slip ups from the top teams (as happened under Koeman, even if we were overshadowed by Leicester!). Unfortunately we are a long way off that at the moment, and even in the space of 3 years breaking into that top group has become so much harder.

Probably. You will get the odd season it all comes together for a team, no injuries, surprise 20+ goal scorer. But rarely.

For me that's more reason to play good football, bring through youth players and be more patient, not less.

That's the key...challenging at the top is a non-starter now, so play entertaining football with players the fans can identify with and take the cups as seriously as possible, that's all the other 14 clubs can do.

But it's also totally realistic for every team outside the top 6. Even Everton finishing 6th takes some imagination. With the vast amounts of money at the top it's hard to see how it can change in the near future. They will probably be the top 6 after 5 games and there will be no looking back.

I liked our model of aiming to be the 'best of the rest' and being in a position to take advantage of any slip ups from the top teams (as happened under Koeman, even if we were overshadowed by Leicester!). Unfortunately we are a long way off that at the moment, and even in the space of 3 years breaking into that top group has become so much harder.

This is about it. How much money have the current top 6 spent since Leicester won the title? Probably somewhere approaching a billion quid or so. It used to be possible to get good results by developping players and some astute trading. These last few years that's gone out of the proverbial window. The top side is the one that's spent the most money and I'd not doubt that the second side is the second biggest spender.

Edited by Window Cleaner