Theresa May and the death of the Tory Party

sadoldgit

Have a lot of time for Rory Stewart. He’d be my choice for leader. Doubt he’ll go down with the swivels infesting the grassroots Tory membership though.
He seems to be a very good politician and very popular in his local area.

I'm sure I read somewhere he voted remain and with the Brexit party about to savage tory and less so, Labour voting share in only a few weeks.... I can only see the next PM being someone who voted for Brexit.

Have a lot of time for Rory Stewart. He’d be my choice for leader. Doubt he’ll go down with the swivels infesting the grassroots Tory membership though.

Agree. He's too honest though. Amber Rudd has played her hand better, positioning herself to be kingmaker and secure the second top job as Chancellor.

He's a sopping wet pinko commie snowflake etc.

Saw this nice clip today

Good one Bertie. Because complex problems that have systemic causes and built up over time can be resolved in no time at all.
No one forced him to offer to quit if he didn't sort it out in a year.

Rory Stewart Lol. I’ve more chance of going to the moon in a shoebox than him becoming leader.

He’s a no mark pinko, us members won’t vote for him. You only need to look and listen to to him, and you’ll see he’s a frigging weirdo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There was absolutely no reason at all why we couldn't have insisted on discussing our trade arrangements simultaneously with the Withdrawal Agreement. The Maybot was totally spineless in letting Barnier set the agenda as to how the talks would proceed. Had a FTA been negotiated from the start, then the likelihood was that the problems of the Irish border wouldn't have been a problem. I am aghast that you don't realise this. Or perhaps you do realise it, but choose not to accept it.

So the EU would not do this without assurances to their citizens, the divorce settlement etc, as it all changed the EU's negotiating starting point. As we have previously garnered from conversations on here, you are not well versed in negotiations and negotiating techniques, and luckily when we have a Brexit PM in the next couple of months, he'll be able to prove you wrong as well...again.

So the EU would not do this without assurances to their citizens, the divorce settlement etc, as it all changed the EU's negotiating starting point. As we have previously garnered from conversations on here, you are not well versed in negotiations and negotiating techniques, and luckily when we have a Brexit PM in the next couple of months, he'll be able to prove you wrong as well...again.

For Les, Brexit isn’t a complex negotiation but has always been a religious experience. Of course, he’s going to spout absolute shîte. Did you see Farage blinking away on Sky News in the face of the gentlest questioning? All the complexities, trade-offs would melt away if only people believed in it. And gullible coffin-dodgers happily send him money or have him as their avatar :lol:

Edited by shurlock

Got to be Matt Hancock.

Well educated, got a first from Oxford, worked in the family business before becoming an economist, chief of staff to George Osborne (a very underrated politician).

The only blip on his record is a stint as the ludicrous and reprehensible "Minister of State for Portsmouth". Apart from some dalliances with the outer reaches of the Ministerial Code and launching his own dodgy app.

Still, he's not Gove, Boris or Raab.

Got to be Matt Hancock.

Well educated, got a first from Oxford, worked in the family business before becoming an economist, chief of staff to George Osborne (a very underrated politician).

The only blip on his record is a stint as the ludicrous and reprehensible "Minister of State for Portsmouth". Apart from some dalliances with the outer reaches of the Ministerial Code and launching his own dodgy app.

I like Hancock from what I have seen of him.

Looked at odds of him to be next leader a few months ago and wasn’t even quoted. Long shot though.

Hancock is a scary prospect. His non definition of "online harms" could leave us with some of the most draconian internet laws in the world.

His lack of detail in proposals transposed into a pm role could be disastrous.

Got to be Matt Hancock.

Good CV but found him to be a bit lightweight in practice.

Hancock is a scary prospect. His non definition of "online harms" could leave us with some of the most draconian internet laws in the world.

His lack of detail in proposals transposed into a pm role could be disastrous.

Who would you like to see as PM? Getting all excited for Dominic Raab?

Edited by shurlock

Raab has a weird temple vein and says ‘hold on’ too much. Is that the new ‘let’s be clear’ that will now pepper political interviews?

This was the Brexit minister who was surprised to hear that the Dover-Calais crossing was important for UK trade. he than resigned because he couldn't support an agreement that he negotiated.

At least it sounds like Hammond is sane enough to no confidence the lunatics if they get picked.

Hammond should put up or shut up. He’s chancellor, why doesn’t he stand. Come to that, why won’t Grieve, Morgan or Rudd stand. They’re all full of pony, they’ll get crushed if they stand and that’s the reason they won’t. The sooner they sling their hook and join Soubry at Cringe UK the better.

Who would you like to see as PM? Getting all excited for Dominic Raab?
Raab has been my pick since December.

He has insider insight of the negotiations (even though he was constantly overridden by May and Robbins).

Not to mention he studied (and won prizes) international law at oxbridge.

Hammond should put up or shut up. He’s chancellor, why doesn’t he stand. Come to that, why won’t Grieve, Morgan or Rudd stand. They’re all full of pony, they’ll get crushed if they stand and that’s the reason they won’t. The sooner they sling their hook and join Soubry at Cringe UK the better.

No confidence voting the imbeciles seems very much put up(taking action to me) thankfully

No confidence voting the imbeciles seems very much put up(taking action to me) thankfully

Pony.

He won’t want an early election. Nigel’s army will decimate him and his pinko cronies. You only have to see what’s happened to Cringe UK to see where his soaking wet policies take you.

Raab has been my pick since December.

He has insider insight of the negotiations (even though he was constantly overridden by May and Robbins).

Not to mention he studied (and won prizes) international law at oxbridge.

The insider who couldn’t come up with a credible plan and then did a runner :lol:

Everyone wins prizes at university pal.

Pony.

He won’t want an early election. Nigel’s army will decimate him and his pinko cronies. You only have to see what’s happened to Cringe UK to see where his soaking wet policies take you.

Hm. I wonder who will be most keen to avoid a no confidence vote. The MPs voting down a policy they despise led by a PM they disagree with, or a new PM who has only just climbed the greasy pole and got the job they always dreamed of.

Hammond should put up or shut up.

Perhaps because the post of Leader of the Conservative Party is still, in his eyes, the poisoned chalice it was at the last leadership vote. Trying to unite the 2 wings has never been easy, but at the moment it may, to him, appear to be an impossible ask, given the total mess that currently exists within Westminster, courtesy of the Maybot's disastrous tenure.

Esther McVey for me too.

About time I fancied the Prime Minister.

Liked her in the old days on GMTV.

Us Wirrallites will stick together!!!

Not misleading Parliament not that high up on your list of requirements then?

Not misleading Parliament not that high up on your list of requirements then?
Enquiries into Amber Rudds handling of the Windrush scandal was down to misinformation by Civil Servants.

I wouldn't be surprised if Esthet McVey was similarly misled.

Enquiries into Amber Rudds handling of the Windrush scandal was down to misinformation by Civil Servants.

I suppose it depends on whether she actually read the NAO report in question. The first line of the report body says "We think that there is no practical alternative to continuing with Universal Credit.", which McVey reported to Parliament as saying that the roll-out should "continue at a faster rate and to be speeded up.".

The NAO report

https://www.nao.org.uk/report/rolling-out-universal-credit/

Mcvey's 'correction' in her statement to the House

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/universal-credit-and-national-audit-office-report

Yet you have no evidence that’s the case with McVey and the circumstances are very different. Good lad.

I suppose it depends on whether she actually read the NAO report in question. The first line of the report body says "We think that there is no practical alternative to continuing with Universal Credit.", which McVey reported to Parliament as saying that the roll-out should "continue at a faster rate and to be speeded up.".

The NAO report

https://www.nao.org.uk/report/rolling-out-universal-credit/

Mcvey's 'correction' in her statement to the House

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/universal-credit-and-national-audit-office-report

Not the type of error that civil servants would make. It was a highly politicised misrepresentation of the NAO report for a flagship ideological policy and it bears all the fingerprints of McVey and her advisors.

Do ministers write their own statements? Or do pps' or civil servants do it?

I'd personally assume the latter but don't know for sure.

Civil servants will typically prepare a draft covering the basics but it will be revised and often rewritten by ministers and their spads with an eye on the political optics. Civil servants fully agreed the contents of the NAO report days before - there is no evidence that they are responsible for McVey’s transgressions.

Stick to the fruit and veg pal.

Edited by shurlock

Mind you

article-2455471-18ACD58000000578-794_634x512.jpg

article-2455471-18ACD5CC00000578-288_634x672.jpg

Being a modern man I’m really tempted to cast my vote for a bird. Put her up against Jezza & that old fool Cable and some of the Gammon comments will be a bit obsolete. Priti Patel is also quite hot but need to shed a lot of timber and Penny looks a bit naughty and is a sound Tory. It’ll be interesting if a fit filly can get on the membership ballot.