Theresa May and the death of the Tory Party

sadoldgit

Who knows -only two go through, both dislike Johnson and have ruled out proroguing Parliament and Hunt is a plodder.

And it would be good. My two "favourite" candidates - Stewart would be getting my ballot vote at the moment if he made it, so on the same ticket (Stewart as Chancellor I'd presume) they would definitely get it.

Rory Stewart is a liberal conservative. As obvious by his votes against banning smoking etc.

I hope most other current conservatives are fiscal conservatives.

Like Rory Stewart you mean? The only one not making expensive and gratuitous promises on tax like your boy Raab. Commiserations by the way.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-06-05/stewart-swipes-at-tory-rivals-johnson-raab-over-u-k-tax-cuts

https://www.ft.com/content/b7dac52e-8b8a-11e9-a1c1-51bf8f989972

Edited by shurlock

Or who happily cites alt- or far-right websites.

Indeed!

It was a mess last night, but then it was always going to be. Brexit remains a minefield for whoever gets the job and it is clear that none of them has a clue how to take us forward. Stewart makes a refreshing change in that he is trying to be the kind of politician we would all like to see more of - someone who tries to answer question without resulting to b/s or lies. It was nice to see Jarvis give him a hug at the end. Two candidates who showed some humanity on the programme unlike the other three political robots. Stewart won’t win sadly as he is not an amoral ar5ehole. The Tory Party will get the leader they deserve and the rest of us will go on suffering under their discredited and anti-social policies. Boris looks home and dry, a PM that you wouldn’t buy a used car from. Two narcissistic, empty headed buffoons running two major world powers, truth can often be stranger than fiction. Even Charlie Brookner would struggle to come up with anything that the western world is having to endure at the moment. If this isn’t bad enough we have a no deal Brexit to look forward to. That’s when the fun will really start.

If you ever thought that the Tory membership were bonkers, the latest YouGov poll confirms it.

46% would be happy with Farage as their leader, 63% would accept Scottish independence as a price for Brexit, and 59% would take a united Ireland (so much for the "Unionist" bit of their name).

Significant damage to the UK would be accepted by 61% and 54% said that the complete destruction of the Tory Party would be a price worth paying for Brexit.

Apparently, 2 of those who asked questions last night have lost their jobs today.

BBC had an absolute mare last night

You’d think Guido and his band of fluffers whave better things to do than snitch on the ordinary public. Wonder what he’s got lined up for the slightly odd woman from Soton. If he comes up emptyhanded, it won’t be for want of trying. Equally odd.

If you ever thought that the Tory membership were bonkers, the latest YouGov poll confirms it.

46% would be happy with Farage as their leader, 63% would accept Scottish independence as a price for Brexit, and 59% would take a united Ireland (so much for the "Unionist" bit of their name).

Significant damage to the UK would be accepted by 61% and 54% said that the complete destruction of the Tory Party would be a price worth paying for Brexit.

I'm surprised that their carers allowed the pollsters to pose their questions.

Nigel is more of a Tory than half the wets in the parliamentary party.

The sooner the sweaties **** off the better.

NI is a throwback to the last century. Ireland should (and will eventually)be united.

Personally I’m not a Unionist, but the establishment should be grateful that Nigel is. The biggest unfairness in politics at the moment is the inbuilt anti English bias of our institutions. The West Lothian question wasn’t solved, it was ignored. One day English resentment will build and someone like Nigel will lead the movement for change. After Brexit it’ll be the next big storm hitting the pinko establishment. They can’t understand Brexit, they won’t understand English nationalism either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nigel is more of a Tory than half the wets in the parliamentary party.

The sooner the sweaties **** off the better.

NI is a throwback to the last century. Ireland should (and will eventually)be united.

Personally I’m not a Unionist, but the establishment should be grateful that Nigel is. The biggest unfairness in politics at the moment is the inbuilt anti English bias of our institutions. The West Lothian question wasn’t solved, it was ignored. One day English resentment will build and someone like Nigel will lead the movement for change. After Brexit it’ll be the next big storm hitting the pinko establishment. They can’t understand Brexit, they won’t understand English nationalism either.

Balkanisation will not improve anything.

I think it will come down to Gove v Johnson.

If Rory Stewart shifts all his votes to Gove which was touted today, then yes. But likely Johnson will lend some of his support to Hunt or Javid -seen as easy touches- to block that. Depends how coordinated and organised the Johnson camp is.

Lost votes after last nights debate. Despite pinko & media love in, the more this electorate saw him the less they liked him.

This electorate? Conservative MPs? Given where he’s come from -basically from nowhere, his campaign has been a clear success which stands him in good stead for a crack later on. It was always about the long game pal.

He’s just said it doesn’t count unless there’s a second confirmatory vote.

Sounds like the sort of thing he might say actually, along with "everybody else jack it in in my favour and let me take on the favourite". That probably cost him some votes.

Less votes than yesterday then. Little Weasel obviously got too pushy and some ditched him.

He performed badly yesterday but a one-off TV performance is hardly going to determine his long-term future.

What you miss is that Stewart was delivering a bitter message on Brexit -the Tories still have their heads buried in the sand on what can and can’t be achieved and are not willing to listen. That will change once reality bites on October 31.

If I were you, I’d stick to making up numbers about illegal immigration in France than commenting on UK politics :lol:

Now that Stewart the clown has received his marching orders, they can take down the Big Top and allow the circus to move on without him. It is a pity that a lot of the entertainment value will leave with him. A shame that we won't see some flesh added to his bizarre citizens' assembly plan. It would have been fun seeing how it would all have been arranged, who would have been chosen, what bizarre solutions that they would have come up with, and what authority that decision would carry over the House, when they can't even be entrusted to enact the clear instructions given to them to leave the EU in the Referendum. Why would they then accept the decision of a few thousand of the electorate when they have chosen to ignore 17.4 million of them?

But there is some sunshine on the horizon for Stewart's political career; he could yet fulfil his ambition to lead a political party. The Change UK Party, (or whatever they are called this week), should be a pushover for him when his main opposition is Sourbry.

Now that Stewart the clown has received his marching orders, they can take down the Big Top and allow the circus to move on without him. It is a pity that a lot of the entertainment value will leave with him. A shame that we won't see some flesh added to his bizarre citizens' assembly plan. It would have been fun seeing how it would all have been arranged, who would have been chosen, what bizarre solutions that they would have come up with, and what authority that decision would carry over the House, when they can't even be entrusted to enact the clear instructions given to them to leave the EU in the Referendum. Why would they then accept the decision of a few thousand of the electorate when they have chosen to ignore 17.4 million of them?

But there is some sunshine on the horizon for Stewart's political career; he could yet fulfil his ambition to lead a political party. The Change UK Party, (or whatever they are called this week), should be a pushover for him when his main opposition is Sourbry.

Les as long as you’re still voting for Johnson, then life is good.

What??? Boris not telling the truth and not having full comprehension of the facts !!! I refuse to believe it !! Who would have guessed??

God help us all if / when he becomes PM.

The GATT 24 error/ignorance last night was astonishing. Can the bloke put his cream cake down or stop having an affair for five minutes to read? His responses on the Iran and Islamophobia questions were also woefully inadequate. Boris must have some serious, serious dirt on the Barclay Brothers or Moore to justify the false and crazy support there. It isn’t justified by last nights performance, his prior disappearing act and certainly not by his pathetic performance as Foreign Secretary.

Gove-Stewart or Javid look like the best options now (almost a contradiction in terms), Hunt sucked up to Trump too much and he just doesn’t stand out.

Boris's big problem is that the contest to replace May was supposed to be a straightforward coronation that put him into position to lead the country into the brave new post-Brexit world. Unfortunately, because of May's arrogance and intransigence, her successor has been left with a total shambles, and an almost impossible conundrum to solve - and Boris looks totally ill-equipped to deliver the necessary clear leadership.

Probably Hunt vs Johnson. Javid’s on good terms with Johnson, so once he’s eliminated, will be asked by Johnson’s handlers to transfer his votes to Hunt. Hopefully those who voted for Javid show a bit more independence.

Does it really matter who gets in? No one will be able to square the circle and a general election is virtually inevitable.
Yes it does.

We've had a 'manager' the last couple of years not a leader.

Does it really matter who gets in? No one will be able to square the circle and a general election is virtually inevitable.

Quite. I wouldn't feel in any way comfortable with any of the candidates up for the job. It's obviously going to be boris, which would be hilarious if it wasn't so terrifying.

A generally election where both main parties are led by unelectable cretins and no other party represents a credible alternative in a FPtP system most likely resulting in another weak goverment.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk