The small things in life that annoy you

whelk

Pet peeves about driving:

- drivers who indicate a lane-change with a single flash of their indicator-light, when they are already half-way into that lane, or who indicate a turn, when they have already begun that turn. Why even bother? You should indicate to give advanced notice of your impending move, not decorate a move you are already engaged in.

- drivers who brake suddenly and then indicate a turn. Indicate first, in plenty of time; then use your brakes just before you turn.

- drivers who use the off-ramp on a major highway (motorway) to overtake vehicles in the slow lane.

- drivers ("lane-hoppers") who constantly change lanes on a congested three-lane road.

- slow drivers who insist on staying in the middle lane of a three-lane road, because they don't want to deal with vehicles in the on-ramp entering the road. Really? Is it that difficult to slow down or speed up occasionally, in order to adjust to road conditions?

- drivers who do not come to a complete stop at a red light, merely slowing down a bit before turning right AND simultaneously neglecting to yield to the traffic that has right-of-way, forcing those vehicles to slow down.

- drivers who do not cross from the fast-lane to the slow lane of a three-lane road in stages, as they move over towards the exit-ramp, but insist on crossing those three lanes in as short a distance as possible, forcing other vehicles to brake in the middle- and slow-lanes.

- drivers who have the front windows of their cars so darkly tinted that you cannot see them and, therefore, cannot communicate with them or fathom what their intentions are.

- drivers who follow too closely, even when the traffic is congested. It's not as though you are blocking the way, or slowing down traffic.

- drivers who begin texting, when they are waiting at traffic lights

- generally speaking, drivers who turn into a selfish ego-maniac behind the wheel--not able, apparently, to imagine that the other vehicles on the road are not solely inanimate objects, but are operated by human beings similar to themselves

Edited by Hamilton Saint

Drivers turning right from a side road or driveway, who nudge out into their nearside lane, forcing traffic from their right to stop whilst they try to bully their way into the stream of traffic they seek to join.
It's worse when they do that and then thank you as if you had any choice in the matter.

Game shows on TV ie Pointless.

The word "Amazing".

The puerile news subjects on local TV.

Songs of Praise.

Low life's that spit on pavements etc.

Pointless is glorious. Amazing I’d say.

People who respond "I'm good" when you ask them how they are. Bloody Yank speak! I was inquiring about their health and well-being, not their behaviour. In the case of girls, I'm inclined to think, that's a shame; bad girls are much more fun.

Middle lane hogs on a three lane motorway, when there is nobody for miles in front of them.

Massed convoys of Caravans causing traffic chaos on the roads in the summer.

Wing mirror spiders.

Loud hailers (should require a licence imo).

Sauce sachets.

Oven chips that won't cook in a reasonable time.

Loud exhausts.

"Powered by fairy dust" car stickers.

Things that hum.

Cats.

Ebay sellers that say they're from the UK but aren't and never were.

Car sun visors that leave a big gap.

Modern Tills working out the change for the Shop assistant, which results in them placing the shiny plastic £5 0r £10 note on your palm first then £4.97 of loose change on top of the note which has zero surface resistance. ("sorry we have run out of £1 coins so theres 8 50p's")

Who actually keeps notes and coins screwed up together in the same pocket or purse.

Drivers who think that because they are doing 69.5mph in the outside lane of the motorway "you can stay behind me matey" because I am doing the national maximum speed, yes but the same little book that you got that nugget from also states that you should always be in the left hand lane unless overtaking. Those 2 inside lanes have been empty for the last 2 miles and that lorry you intend to overtake in a minute is still 2 miles down the road.

4 bloody cars going through Woodmill Lane, when the last 18 cars through have clearly been in blocks of 3!!!

Drivers who think that because they are doing 69.5mph in the outside lane of the motorway "you can stay behind me matey" because I am doing the national maximum speed, yes but the same little book that you got that nugget from also states that you should always be in the left hand lane unless overtaking. Those 2 inside lanes have been empty for the last 2 miles and that lorry you intend to overtake in a minute is still 2 miles down the road.

To be fair, if you are speeding you are just as bad.

I would never deny that, but being sat in the outside lane of an empty motorway just because you are doing 70mph is not the lane to be driving in if you believe you are being a law abiding citizen tip top driver by adhering to the speed limit alone.

I drive 35k+ miles a year, its bloody amazing how when you stick a police car on the motorway (I slow down :uhoh:) everybody all of a sudden re-discovers lane discipline and is getting left!!!?????!!!! Even those numpties who sit at 60mph in the middle lane for mile after mile on a pretty empty motorway, if people adhered to lane discipline motorways and dual carriageways would flow so much better.

True, but how many speedometers are accurate?

The police view is that it is not the job of the individual to police the motorway. In any case motorways only operate properly if everybody keeps to the left and if there is a variation of speeds otherwise bunching occurs which is dangerous.

The speed limit is set at 70 in the full knowledge that speeds between 70 and 80 are common. There is speeding and there is dangerous driving which are not necessarily the same thing.

if people adhered to lane discipline motorways and dual carriageways would flow so much better.

If people stuck to the speed limits then those that sit in the middle lane would be more inclined to move in because they would be less likely to be stuck behind a truck because a load of aggressive arseholes are doing 90 in their outside lane.

If people stuck to the speed limits then those that sit in the middle lane would be more inclined to move in because they would be less likely to be stuck behind a truck because a load of aggressive arseholes are doing 90 in their outside lane.

That is complete horse poo!! Drive on the German Autobhan my friend, lane discipline is nye on faultless over take and get over into the inside lane and there you have people coming at you from behind at 120mph plus. And you have wagons trundling along at 55mph, they seem to cope. The one thing you don’t get is ditherers ambling along at 60-65 in a middle lane fixed stare stupor. Like I say the amount of miles I drive, not aggressively, not at 90mph, and I have moved in a civilised manner from the inside lane to the outside lane to overtake these people and have more than enough distance to the next vehicle to move back into the inside lane again, I have seen 3-4 cars make the same move in convoy either in front or behind me and that car still sits in the middle lane like a chicane.

Something tells me that you are one of these people who enjoys life in the middle lane even on an empty motorway and is part of the problem. Actually you will be amazed at how few people travel at 90 on a motorway those mostly “.being naughty” are travelling at tops 80mph. If you feel intimidated by that on a 3 lane motorway and feel that being in a middle lane bubble is the safest place for you then you should reconsider the using of the motorways as a last resort.

That is complete horse poo!! Drive on the German Autobhan my friend, lane discipline is nye on faultless over take and get over into the inside lane and there you have people coming at you from behind at 120mph plus. And you have wagons trundling along at 55mph, they seem to cope. The one thing you don’t get is ditherers ambling along at 60-65 in a middle lane fixed stare stupor. Like I say the amount of miles I drive, not aggressively, not at 90mph, and I have moved in a civilised manner from the inside lane to the outside lane to overtake these people and have more than enough distance to the next vehicle to move back into the inside lane again, I have seen 3-4 cars make the same move in convoy either in front or behind me and that car still sits in the middle lane like a chicane.

Something tells me that you are one of these people who enjoys life in the middle lane even on an empty motorway and is part of the problem. Actually you will be amazed at how few people travel at 90 on a motorway those mostly “.being naughty” are travelling at tops 80mph. If you feel intimidated by that on a 3 lane motorway and feel that being in a middle lane bubble is the safest place for you then you should reconsider the using of the motorways as a last resort.

Lol, I’ve driven across Germany plenty of times. I know how to drive thanks I just don’t get this big issue with middle lane hoggers, IMO those who get most annoyed are just speeding tossers. If you are doing 70 you generally get very few issues.

People who rattle change in their pockets.

Nail varnishing on the train

Can I get

When you've asked someone a question and someone else wants to join the conversation with the phrase 'oh can I play'

See you anon

Moody work colleagues

Sports drink squirty caps especially on water bottlea

The noise made from crunching a water bottle with a sports cap

Cutting in to a stationary queue on a slip road off the motorway and just sitting there blocking the motorway lane

Calling a slip road an off ramp

Outage

People saying nice things about people you dont like

Lol, I’ve driven across Germany plenty of times. I know how to drive thanks I just don’t get this big issue with middle lane hoggers, IMO those who get most annoyed are just speeding tossers. If you are doing 70 you generally get very few issues.

So over the course of this tete a tete we have established that you are a middle lane hogger, and believe that it’s your god given right to sit there in you little metal encased world. Whilst I am fully aware that on the odd occasion that I could lapse into being a “speeding tosser” I am fully aware of the concequences should an officer of the law wish to discuss my momentary lapse. However in the statement you made that I highlighted you are obviously unaware that middle lane hogging is a motoring offence with the penalty of £100 on the spot fine and 3 points on your licence!!

Hey I guess that probably makes you a tosser too! :D

So over the course of this tete a tete we have established that you are a middle lane hogger, and believe that it’s your god given right to sit there in you little metal encased world. Whilst I am fully aware that on the odd occasion that I could lapse into being a “speeding tosser” I am fully aware of the concequences should an officer of the law wish to discuss my momentary lapse. However in the statement you made that I highlighted you are obviously unaware that middle lane hogging is a motoring offence with the penalty of £100 on the spot fine and 3 points on your licence!!

Hey I guess that probably makes you a tosser too! :D

I'm not a middle lane hogger, I just don't have much issue with them. Try sticking to the speed limit, chill out a bit and you will probably not get yourself so stressed out and maybe drive a bit safer too.

I'm not a middle lane hogger, I just don't have much issue with them. Try sticking to the speed limit, chill out a bit and you will probably not get yourself so stressed out and maybe drive a bit safer too.

Middle lane joggers turn a three-lane motorway into a two-lane motorway. They should be pulled over and summarily executed (without blocking the hard shoulder, obviously)

Woman doing their makeup in the car whilst driving.

Drivers who don’t say thank you if you’ve pulled over to let them through.

Political correctness taken to extreme.

Nanny state.

Two faced people.

Council refuse centres charging for you to leave refuse when you are already paying extortionate amounts of Council Tax to cover these sort of costs. No I don’t fly tip!.

The fact that using a mobile phone is deemed a 6 point offence (which I agree with totally), but it's not illegal to smoke whilst driving.

Not sure how holding something that is essentially on fire whilst driving isn't deemed dangerous.

The fact that using a mobile phone is deemed a 6 point offence (which I agree with totally), but it's not illegal to smoke whilst driving.

Not sure how holding something that is essentially on fire whilst driving isn't deemed dangerous.

Everyone knows fire is dangerous and treats it accordingly, plus a fag doesn’t answer you back or say anything to wind you up. Might be killing you slowly, but when your Mate WhatsApps you with a funny video of girlies with big boobies you are more likely to be unable to wait to take a quick peek, and terminally vanish up the backside of that Wagon that has suddenly stopped in front of you.

Most folks have been managing to find their mouths with their hands since before they were born.

Edited by John Boy Saint

A piece of advice to those who are concerned about cyclists, road hogs and dodgy 'old biddy' drivers :

"DO NOT COME TO THE ISLE OF WIGHT" - it will not be good for your health !

Ps. exclude 'middle lane hoggers' cos we've not got no motorways :):)