Rule changes for 2019/20

https://www.90min.com/posts/6371766-premier-league-six-confirmed-rule-changes-to-come-into-effect-in-2019-20

Rule changes for next season. It'll be interesting to see how the handball one is applied and not allowing attacking players in the wall could make for some more inventive free kick routines. The substitution one will surely mean a slow walk from the centre circle from now on?

All sounds sensible to me. If anything I think a yellow should be accompanied by a 5 minute sin bin like they have in rugby.

Never liked the whole 'taking one for the team' by clearing a breaking player out on the halfway line. It's just cheating because the punishment is less than playing honestly; like if you robbed a bank and stole £1m, but the court let you keep the money and your punishment was a £100k fine.

Was the penalty one for keepers not a rule already, just one that everyone ignored?

At present the goalkeeper can move as much as he wants provided he stays on his line. Previously (many years ago) he couldn't move until the ball was kicked.

"The defending goalkeeper must remain on the goal line, facing the kicker, between the goalposts until the ball has been kicked."

I don't think the sub one will work too well. Players will just creep back towards the half way line rather than going off at the nearest point. Plus there is no punishment for doing so..... other than the ref pointing to his watch!

I heard on talk sport there was a new rule rule for offside where players must play to refs whistle rather than the linesman's flag which seems a recipe for disaster.

I don't think the sub one will work too well. Players will just creep back towards the half way line rather than going off at the nearest point. Plus there is no punishment for doing so..... other than the ref pointing to his watch!

I heard on talk sport there was a new rule rule for offside where players must play to refs whistle rather than the linesman's flag which seems a recipe for disaster.

Playing to the whistle will be a disaster?

Say that again?!

The handball one looks stupid. Should be one rule applied consistently regardless of attacking/defending context etc. Is the "attacking third" going to be marked on the pitch now too?

I think it's fair.

For example if someone cannons a ball at a defender from a yard away and hit his hand, it shouldn't be a penalty (assuming arms aren't in an unnatural position). If a 'keeper makes a save, the ball rebounds off an attackers hand, a yard away from the goal and goes in (even accidentally) it shouldn't count.

No-one see a problem with this...?

Agree, perhaps the rule should be that any suspected head injury should have to leave the field for 5 minutes minimum, in order to be assessed, whilst play continues. Not perfect but better.

Playing to the whistle will be a disaster?

Say that again?!

As a defender when you see the flag go up the natural reaction is to stop playing. To see the flag go up and carry on is quite a change in mindset.

At present the goalkeeper can move as much as he wants provided he stays on his line. Previously (many years ago) he couldn't move until the ball was kicked.

"The defending goalkeeper must remain on the goal line, facing the kicker, between the goalposts until the ball has been kicked."

But they're never on their line!

As a defender when you see the flag go up the natural reaction is to stop playing. To see the flag go up and carry on is quite a change in mindset.

I know many footballers aren’t the brightest but I think even they can cope with that.

I think it's fair.

For example if someone cannons a ball at a defender from a yard away and hit his hand, it shouldn't be a penalty (assuming arms aren't in an unnatural position). If a 'keeper makes a save, the ball rebounds off an attackers hand, a yard away from the goal and goes in (even accidentally) it shouldn't count.

Deffo one for VAR this - rules out the question of deliberate. Im not a huge fan really - if a defender trys to whack it clear and it hits an attackers hand and they go on to score its not a goal - a bit unfair really if they are in exactly the same position as the defender not giving away a penalty. Just a plan to bring some consistency in. Id like consistency but id prefer if handball was still deliberate all over the pitch - the fact its not really refereed like that already does mean it makes some sense to just make that law i suppose

With VAR the assistant on the line is told not to raise his flag for offside unless it is obvious. The 'thinking' is that te VAR referee can always sort it out later.

I don't like it myself.

then they are idiots

football coaching has come along way since I was a teenager in the 90s and even during those dark ages, we were always told to play to the whistle.

With VAR the assistant on the line is told not to raise his flag for offside unless it is obvious. The 'thinking' is that te VAR referee can always sort it out later.

I don't like it myself.

VAR is going to be a disaster for the game, i can already see myself attending more non league football instead of saints.

Makes absolute sense when on an attack now to ignore the officials, put the ball in the net then let VAR decide. If you are running through on goal don't stop if flag is raised.

I think it's fair.

See your point but still disagree. Preventing a goal and scoring a goal are both worth the same. Why is one allowed to happen accidentally and the other one isn't. How long will we keep playing for after an accidental handball by a striker to confirm that it didn't result in a goal?

I guess anyway let's see how they get applied in practice, because - just like with the rest of the laws around fouls and handball - there will be some generally accepted interpretation of what is considered "handball" and we'll all still be arguing about it even with VAR to help.

(e.g. Spurs' winning goal in the CL QFs against City)

Surely all the ref has to do is stop his watch when the substitution board goes up and start it again only when the subbed player has crossed the touch line. Then it doesn't matter how long it takes although the momentum of play will be lost of course.

They should introduce "rolling subs", no need for the player to have left the pitch before the sub comes on, easy enough for the 4th official to ensure the change happens.

I love the way that a player standing in the wall created by the opposition is deemed to be not within the spirit of the game...standing on the pitch where they have every right to be, and yet diving, moaning, wining, swearing etc isn’t highlighted.

They should introduce "rolling subs", no need for the player to have left the pitch before the sub comes on, easy enough for the 4th official to ensure the change happens.

Talk to Rob Harris about this and you might change your mind. He was in charge of Tranmere v Sunderland in the FA Cup in January 2000 when Tranmere ended up with eleven on the pitch despite having a man sent off. I met Rob a few months later at a referee’s meeting when he came over from the Isle of Wight to talk to us. He accepted total responsibility for the incident but felt that he was entitled to some help from the other officials.

Talk to Rob Harris about this and you might change your mind. He was in charge of Tranmere v Sunderland in the FA Cup in January 2000 when Tranmere ended up with eleven on the pitch despite having a man sent off. I met Rob a few months later at a referee’s meeting when he came over from the Isle of Wight to talk to us. He accepted total responsibility for the incident but felt that he was entitled to some help from the other officials.

Other sports with significantly less funding than football manage rolling subs fine, so if it’s too much for football officials to deal with then that speaks volumes as to their general competence.

It really isn't difficult. Gives the 4th official something to do. Other sports do it without any difficulty, grass roots kids do it. It's a very simple solution to one of the most annoying problems in the modern game.

It really isn't difficult. Gives the 4th official something to do. Other sports do it without any difficulty, grass roots kids do it. It's a very simple solution to one of the most annoying problems in the modern game.

How does rolling subs take place in practice eg with kids games?

if both have to leave/come on at halfway line with 4th official present its not hard - you can guarantee they will be running to make the change quickly, play isnt stopped and substitutions in the last few minutes will have far less impact which all has to be better for the game really. Injuries you just do as normal and perhaps thats what would just end up happening - no more tactical subs just lots and lots of cramp when the ball is out of play in the last 5 mins.

then they are idiots

football coaching has come along way since I was a teenager in the 90s and even during those dark ages, we were always told to play to the whistle.

Can't believe that suggestion either

The flag is a signal to the ref not the players. Defenders should be concentrating on where the ball is, where the attacker is, where he's going etc. Forward should be concentrating on where the ball is, where the goal is, where the keeper is etc. Neither should even notice a flag going up (look to see if it's gone up after the event yes, but not whilst play is going on).

That's the reason linesman (sorry AR) has a visual flag, referee has an audible whistle.

Sin bin's at grass root level from next season as well!

10 mins a time for dissent to the ref with no limits on how many players can be sin binned.

Should be interesting :)

Some leagues trailled it last season, I saw 2 players from the same team sin binned in one incident at my local club last year - they lost a Cup Semi Final 1-0 with the goal coming while they were off the pitch because of their dissent.

It does apply to Youth games, but it is 8 minutes in the sin bin for games that are not 90 minutes long (10 minutes for the 90 minute games) - I had one of my U13s sin binned last season (I told him he wasn't coming on again even after the time expired as I wasn't having dissent).

I don't really get the penalty one, as I always assumed that rule was already in place.

Are they saying that they will be having penalties retaken if a keeper moves off his line, whether he saves it or not? That seems pretty absurd to me. If it's saved then obviously he has gained an advantage, but if it goes in then it really doesn't matter.

Sin bin's at grass root level from next season as well!

10 mins a time for dissent to the ref with no limits on how many players can be sin binned.

Should be interesting :)

It's 45 minutes for misusing an apostrophe.

See your point but still disagree. Preventing a goal and scoring a goal are both worth the same. Why is one allowed to happen accidentally and the other one isn't. How long will we keep playing for after an accidental handball by a striker to confirm that it didn't result in a goal?

I guess anyway let's see how they get applied in practice, because - just like with the rest of the laws around fouls and handball - there will be some generally accepted interpretation of what is considered "handball" and we'll all still be arguing about it even with VAR to help.

(e.g. Spurs' winning goal in the CL QFs against City)

I think a far simpler solution to the whole handball issue would be direct free kick for intentional, indirect for unintentional. Wouldn't need to worry about any of this 'unnatural position' stuff, and whether attacking or not, just one means direct (and penalty if in box), the other doesn't.

I think a far simpler solution to the whole handball issue would be direct free kick for intentional, indirect for unintentional. Wouldn't need to worry about any of this 'unnatural position' stuff, and whether attacking or not, just one means direct (and penalty if in box), the other doesn't.

doesnt solve the unnatural position problem though - its the distinction between about 75% of handball shouts these days - the v deliberate ones are easy but the unnatual position is at the v heart of the deliberate or not debate - eg the star juimp defense technique is without doubt using your hands to an advantage - that said i dont believe you should have to have your hands down by your side as nowhere else on the pitch is that a thing other than in the box highlighting how silly it is - if anything running with your hands by your side is the unnatural position. Unless your saying only v obvious deliberate are pens and rest indirect?

I'm not sure there's a "right answer" for the handball dilemma so the search should probably be for the rule that produces the most consistency in terms of decisions.

However, that would probably be a strict-liability interpretation where any contact is a foul. I don't like that because people will look to engineer contact and there could be way too many soft goals as a result.

Again, borrowing from rugby but I think a penalty goal would be apt in some scenarios. If a ball is on its way in and gets blocked by a defenders hand, a goal is given instead of a penalty. I don’t mean for any old handball, I mean instances like Wan-Bisaka for that handball against us at Selhurst, or Suarez against Ghana at the WC.

Any handball preventing 100% goal - penalty goal

Deliberate handball otherwise - penalty

Accident handball otherwise - nothing given

Attacker hand balls in the box - Free kick

People are talking about changing the sanction. The sanction isn't the problem.

The problem is clarity over what constitutes the offence.

There will always be divided opinion over what is deliberate and accident and I'm okay with that as a matter of contention. Personally I think the ref. should have the authority to decide what he believes to be a deliberate act and what isn't, as there are too many variables to have a concrete rule.

I'd much rather have that and some controversy, than the blatantly unfair situation of an attacker smashing a shot into a defenders arm, by his side, from a yard away and being given a pen.

There will always be divided opinion over what is deliberate and accident and I'm okay with that as a matter of contention. Personally I think the ref. should have the authority to decide what he believes to be a deliberate act and what isn't, as there are too many variables to have a concrete rule.

I'd much rather have that and some controversy, than the blatantly unfair situation of an attacker smashing a shot into a defenders arm, by his side, from a yard away and being given a pen.

I agree with you.

My concern with VAR is that slow-motion can make an accidental handball look deliberate and that the more times you see ar eplay then the more it looks as though the defender could have got out of the way.

I agree with you.

My concern with VAR is that slow-motion can make an accidental handball look deliberate and that the more times you see ar eplay then the more it looks as though the defender could have got out of the way.

VAR will still get more right that wrong in those instances in my opinion, is that not the overall goal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro