Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 320

Thread: The Gao Thread

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    After moving around Kent, Surrey and Sussex have now settled on the edge of Romney Marsh
    Posts
    13,307

    Default The Gao Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Chez View Post
    you are right, if you don't like people moaning on forums, don't go on a forum
    There is not person on this forum who knows whether Gao or the new sponsorship will be good for the club or not, but there is a massive assumption based on nothing that they are bad. Let’s hope you miserable sods are all proved right and then you can have a mass “I told you so” love in. Enjoy!

  2. #2

    Default The Gao Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by sadoldgit View Post
    There is not person on this forum who knows whether Gao or the new sponsorship will be good for the club or not, but there is a massive assumption based on nothing that they are bad. Let’s hope you miserable sods are all proved right and then you can have a mass “I told you so” love in. Enjoy!
    there is probably a thread to talk about this, and if you visit it you will find me absent because I'm too busy here taking the **** out of UA for their lack of shirt design skills.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    17,778

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sadoldgit View Post
    There is not person on this forum who knows whether Gao or the new sponsorship will be good for the club or not, but there is a massive assumption based on nothing that they are bad. Let’s hope you miserable sods are all proved right and then you can have a mass “I told you so” love in. Enjoy!
    It's not "based on nothing", is it?

    It's based on:

    - sponsor being an obscure start-up
    -sponsor having a website full of palpable bull

    As for Gao, reservations about him could be fairly based on:

    - reported to have been involved in criminal corruption
    - struggled to complete the initial purchase and reportedly incurred a lot of debt in doing so
    - Chinese business appears to have gone down the pan and been subject to hostile take-over
    - convoluted SFC ownership structure involving companies in Hong Kong and BVI
    - has barely uttered a peep about why he bought the club or what his plans are

    If we hadn't appointed Ralph H and had got that wrong, we'd probably be looking at financial ruin right now and a slide down the league.


    Actually, no, you're right. Everyone is an unreasonable reactionary and you, Fair Soggy, Arbiter of Moral Righteousness, Bringer of the Calm Head, Scrutineer of Evidence, Pied Piper of Maidstone, are correct when you say it's 50/50.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rothschild and Soros HQ
    Posts
    19,402
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by benjii View Post
    It's not "based on nothing", is it?

    It's based on:

    - sponsor being an obscure start-up
    -sponsor having a website full of palpable bull

    As for Gao, reservations about him could be fairly based on:

    - reported to have been involved in criminal corruption
    - struggled to complete the initial purchase and reportedly incurred a lot of debt in doing so
    - Chinese business appears to have gone down the pan and been subject to hostile take-over
    - convoluted SFC ownership structure involving companies in Hong Kong and BVI
    - has barely uttered a peep about why he bought the club or what his plans are

    If we hadn't appointed Ralph H and had got that wrong, we'd probably be looking at financial ruin right now and a slide down the league.


    Actually, no, you're right. Everyone is an unreasonable reactionary and you, Fair Soggy, Arbiter of Moral Righteousness, Bringer of the Calm Head, Scrutineer of Evidence, Pied Piper of Maidstone, are correct when you say it's 50/50.
    This and

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    17,778

    Default The Gao Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by sadoldgit View Post
    Ok fine. Have you actually asked Gao any questions though? If so, what are they?
    I have no means to communicate with him.

    Initial questions would be:

    - why have you never made the slightest attempt to engage with the UK fans?

    - why did you buy the football club?

    - what are your plans for the football club?

    - who is in charge of football at the club? Ie. Who is Les Reed's replacement?

    - it was reported you needed to borrow money to complete the purchase; are you reliant on club income to repay that money?

    - why did Kat retain 20%?

    - how did the club choose LD Sports as it's sponsor? Are you concerned that their website was full of bull and infringed the IP of various news organisations?

    That would do for starters.

    The fact the club hasn't addressed any of this previously, suggests to me that there is no real communication between the owners and the people running things on a day to day basis. This is supported by the reports that the club couldn't answer the recent PL questions about the hostile investment in Lander: they simply didn't know and weren't given the information.
    Last edited by benjii; 21-05-2019 at 05:56 PM.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In the doghouse...again
    Posts
    3,076

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by benjii View Post
    I have no means to communicate with him.

    Initial questions would be:

    - why have you never made the slightest attempt to engage with the UK fans?

    - why did you buy the football club?

    - what are your plans for the football club?

    - who is in charge of football at the club? Ie. Who is Les Reed's replacement?

    - it was reported you needed to borrow money to complete the purchase; are you reliant on club income to repay that money?

    - why did Kat retain 20%?

    - how did the club choose LD Sports as it's sponsor? Are you concerned that their website was full of bull and infringed the IP of various news organisations?

    That would do for starters.

    The fact the club hasn't addressed any of this previously, suggests to me that there is no real communication between the owners and the people running things on a day to day basis. This is supported by the reports that the club couldn't answer the recent PL questions about the hostile investment in Lander: they simply didn't know and weren't given the information.
    Just suppose you get some answers, what will you do next? All your worry and angst seems completely futile to me as it won't change a single thing.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    West of Fareham
    Posts
    12,947

    Default

    He’s got a point, Gao appears dodgy but there’s nothing we can do about it.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    17,778

    Default

    Seems like Newcastle will be added to the list of clubs we have very little chance of competing with.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by benjii View Post
    Seems like Newcastle will be added to the list of clubs we have very little chance of competing with.
    Not so sure seems there is a doubt about him he turned up at The Victims but failed to materialise with the money


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    17,778

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Give it to Ron View Post
    Not so sure seems there is a doubt about him he turned up at The Victims but failed to materialise with the money


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    True. I don't think he will have Man City levels of funds, on further investigation!

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Give it to Ron View Post
    Not so sure seems there is a doubt about him he turned up at The Victims but failed to materialise with the money


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Although the official line was that the yanks didn't want to sell. I've not read anything about insufficient funds but would be pleased to see it.

    Quote Originally Posted by benjii View Post
    True. I don't think he will have Man City levels of funds, on further investigation!
    Probably not in the Micky Fialka (or whatever his name was) pauper state either though.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    1,675

    Default

    Gao out from me (unless my instincts are wrong & he does a drastic turn around and allows the signings that Ralph was intimated to have been promised upon joining). If Gao or the club’s management’s dialogue with the manager over transfers is anything like the misleading and broken promises to fans over transfers, then I fear we will lose our manager and he will succeed elsewhere in the Premier League and I wouldn’t hold that against him. We seem to have descended into a dishonest and
    manipulative club with seemingly little integrity.

    I have no time for disingenuous owners with a divisive agenda. As a rule, if a business owner doesn’t outlay their plans it’s generally because the reactions would not be well received because those plans are bad to supporters/shareholders so instead, the owner chooses silence. Like Richard Gere in Pretty Woman only with a sh***er outcome. If Gao had good intentions with the club, he should outline them rather than appear to be using the club as a mechanism for expanding his property portfolio.

    The owner has done nothing for Saints yet other than shed staff but under his regime we have been constantly misled in every transfer window and he is, therefore, answerable. Fans deserve answers. If he continues to hold the fans in contempt, then Southampton fans should start voting with their feet. #GaoOut

  13. #13

    Default

    Remember when people wanted SISU to take Saints over, now Coventry are playing at St Andrews.

  14. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage_Face View Post
    Remember when people wanted SISU to take Saints over, now Coventry are playing at St Andrews.
    I don't recall anyone wanting Sisu to buy saints.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Billy View Post
    I don't recall anyone wanting Sisu to buy saints.
    Oh they did.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Amesbury
    Posts
    13,832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage_Face View Post
    Oh they did.
    Can you provide the evidence ?

  17. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Billy View Post
    I don't recall anyone wanting Sisu to buy saints.
    Jim Hone, Ken Dulieu & Andy Oldknow certainly did

  18. Default Gao Jisheng becomes Southampton chairman and Martin Semmens is CEO


  19. #19

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    17,778

    Default

    So the replacement for Ralph K is Gao and the replacement for Lesley is Wee Ross.

    #letsgaof-ingmental

  20. #20

    Default

    Nice.

  21. #21

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Amesbury
    Posts
    13,832

    Default

    Oh no! Wtf

    or something..

  22. Default

    https://www.theguardian.com/football...room-reshuffle

    "Southampton continue to invest in youth after Gao Jisheng’s reshuffle"

  23. Default

    A positive article?! Interesting we were in for Harvey Elliott.

  24. #24

    Default

    Well, we're certainly showing off the future in our China squad.

    It'll be interesting to see who is going to Ireland and who is left out completely..

  25. Default

    I'd completely forgotten Gao had an option for the remaining 20%.

  26. #26

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Gotham city
    Posts
    5,406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSAINT View Post
    I'd completely forgotten Gao had an option for the remaining 20%.
    Within 12 moths it says, how long has he owned his 80%?

    Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

  27. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr X View Post
    Within 12 moths it says, how long has he owned his 80%?

    Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
    14 August is when articles are time-stamped when it was announced.

  28. #28

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Gotham city
    Posts
    5,406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSAINT View Post
    14 August is when articles are time-stamped when it was announced.
    So he only has a few weeks left?

    Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

  29. #29

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fighting Messageboard injustice, Everywhere
    Posts
    2,878

    Default

    For those interested in such things, yesterday McQuarrie bank redeemed their chage against Southampton Football Club Ltd, and today have registered a new charge. The assumption is that this relates to the annual renewal of the cash flow facilities against EPL funds.

  30. #30

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broadwindsor, Dorset
    Posts
    1,924

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Faz View Post
    For those interested in such things, yesterday McQuarrie bank redeemed their chage against Southampton Football Club Ltd, and today have registered a new charge. The assumption is that this relates to the annual renewal of the cash flow facilities against EPL funds.
    Normally these charges have a "continuing security" clause so no need to renew in his instance . However, if fresh personal guarantees have been taken on basis of new board, the charge may well be renewed to avoid the incidence of "Victors Case" (Victor V Lingard 1926) unless Memo & Arts state otherwise.

  31. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSAINT View Post
    I'd completely forgotten Gao had an option for the remaining 20%.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr X View Post
    Within 12 moths it says, how long has he owned his 80%?

    Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr X View Post
    So he only has a few weeks left?

    Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

    The article says:

    What is clear is that the coming season will be instructive, mainly because of a contractual clause that gives Gao and his family the option to purchase the remaining 20% of the club within 12 months from Katharina Liebherr,
    I read this as he has 12 months from .. 14th August SuperSAINT advises... to complete the purchase. So until 14th August 2020.

  32. #32

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fighting Messageboard injustice, Everywhere
    Posts
    2,878

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rooney View Post
    Normally these charges have a "continuing security" clause so no need to renew in his instance . However, if fresh personal guarantees have been taken on basis of new board, the charge may well be renewed to avoid the incidence of "Victors Case" (Victor V Lingard 1926) unless Memo & Arts state otherwise.
    Ah, somebody who has studied banking. The purpose of ‘continuing security’ is to prevent credits paid in to an account, for example an overdraft, being used to extinguish the original debt, thereby rendering the security ineffective for subsequent increases. It has been the practice of McQuarrie to take a new charge each year, probably to reflect changes in their documentation than for any other reason - I’ve not read the charge, but suspect it covers current and future borrowing.

    I suspect PGs are not taken for this type of facility and for a company of this size. In any event, the key stakeholder has not changed over last year, and even if PGs are in place a change would not trigger a requirement for a revised legal change over the assets of the company.

    If you’ve read this far, you probably need to get a life.

  33. #33

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fighting Messageboard injustice, Everywhere
    Posts
    2,878

    Default

    Duplicate

  34. #34

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Bordeaux
    Posts
    273

    Default

    If we want Gao out, ie to sell up to someone with more interest in the club try embarrassing the Chinese state. Nothing happens in China without the approval of the State, and one thing the Chinese state hates is protest and a spotlight shone on their governance. 32k Saints fans waving Tebitan flags live on TV would see Gaos operation closed down faster than a buttered bullet.

  35. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Morse View Post
    If we want Gao out, ie to sell up to someone with more interest in the club try embarrassing the Chinese state. Nothing happens in China without the approval of the State, and one thing the Chinese state hates is protest and a spotlight shone on their governance. 32k Saints fans waving Tebitan flags live on TV would see Gaos operation closed down faster than a buttered bullet.
    Like this?

    http://www.ultras-tifo.net/news/6029...for-tibet.html

    Cant see our fans doing that but was highly effective it seems!

  36. #36

    Default

    Our fans are soft as s##t...... Can you see the likes of West Ham fans tolerating 9-0 defeats..... Mass uproar would ensue as for Saints fans they are on TV smiling taking selfies like a bunch of lemonade sandwiches..... That's the issue our fans have no swedes.....

  37. #37

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Was NI now Shropshire..!
    Posts
    8,348

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ally_uk View Post
    Our fans are soft as s##t...... Can you see the likes of West Ham fans tolerating 9-0 defeats..... Mass uproar would ensue as for Saints fans they are on TV smiling taking selfies like a bunch of lemonade sandwiches..... That's the issue our fans have no swedes.....


    Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

  38. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeG View Post
    Like this?

    http://www.ultras-tifo.net/news/6029...for-tibet.html

    Cant see our fans doing that but was highly effective it seems!
    Good idea. But, Hong Kong flags would be even more effective right now and most effective of all would be the burning of a Chinese flag. Of course, it would mean we'd never be able to attract wealthy Chinese owners like the ones at Wolves and Man City.

    "CFG turned to China in the latter half of 2015, first offering themselves as a host location for high-level business talks between the government leadership of the United Kingdom and the People's Republic of China before agreeing a £265m sale of shares to a consortium of Chinese state-backed investment firms China Media Capital and CITIC Capital. The deal made the two companies a combined 13% part-owner of CFG and therefore of Manchester City, giving in exchange a significant partnership allowing both City and CFG to expand into the Chinese market in a variety of directions."

  39. #39

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    stamping on peoples dreams since 2010
    Posts
    28,532

  40. #40

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Bordeaux
    Posts
    273

    Default


  41. #41

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Kitchener, Ontario
    Posts
    302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nordic Saint View Post
    Good idea. But, Hong Kong flags would be even more effective right now and most effective of all would be the burning of a Chinese flag. Of course, it would mean we'd never be able to attract wealthy Chinese owners like the ones at Wolves and Man City.

    "CFG turned to China in the latter half of 2015, first offering themselves as a host location for high-level business talks between the government leadership of the United Kingdom and the People's Republic of China before agreeing a £265m sale of shares to a consortium of Chinese state-backed investment firms China Media Capital and CITIC Capital. The deal made the two companies a combined 13% part-owner of CFG and therefore of Manchester City, giving in exchange a significant partnership allowing both City and CFG to expand into the Chinese market in a variety of directions."
    Have a word with yourself. Unbelievable.

  42. #42

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    17,778

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeG View Post
    Like this?

    http://www.ultras-tifo.net/news/6029...for-tibet.html

    Cant see our fans doing that but was highly effective it seems!
    This is great. This, the Committee Pig Banner and something about the Uighur genocide.

  43. #43

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    1,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sadoldgit View Post
    There is not person on this forum who knows whether Gao or the new sponsorship will be good for the club or not, but there is a massive assumption based on nothing that they are bad. Let’s hope you miserable sods are all proved right and then you can have a mass “I told you so” love in. Enjoy!
    Seems to me the cynics were right. Maybe they actually had a bit of foresight or instinctively knew a rejected person from the fit and proper persons test that sold out people to get executed while saving his own bacon was bad news from the outset.

  44. #44

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    1,675

    Default

    This is brilliant and exactly what we need to do. Whilst the French may frustrate in many ways, they don’t put up with any sh*t and like to get their point across. It’s time we started making it clear that Gao isn’t liked or welcome down South if he intends to not invest and run us into the ground while pursuing his separate business needs.

  45. #45

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    1,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeG View Post
    Like this?

    http://www.ultras-tifo.net/news/6029...for-tibet.html

    Cant see our fans doing that but was highly effective it seems!
    We need to make this happen. Box clever

  46. #46

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    stamping on peoples dreams since 2010
    Posts
    28,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ally_uk View Post
    Our fans are soft as s##t...... Can you see the likes of West Ham fans tolerating 9-0 defeats..... Mass uproar would ensue as for Saints fans they are on TV smiling taking selfies like a bunch of lemonade sandwiches..... That's the issue our fans have no swedes.....
    You’re right. Remember when West Ham fans stormed the stand at the Olympic stadium? Newcastle fans give Mike Ashley grief every week, they says he’s a tight fisted cockney bas*ard despite the fact they’ve spent £120m more than they’ve made from transfers in the last 5 years when in same time as we’ve made a profit. It’s absolutely laughable that this is put down to agents fees, bonuses and national insurance by the cheerleaders amongst saints fans.

    Unfortunately as much as Goa and his team seems to be a bunch of jokers we’re stuck with him. It’s not like the days of Guy Askham when he was a local guy who could step down and be easily replaced, To get rid of Goa we need to find a buyer and if he was the best offer on the table last time of the few that were interested we were for sale then heaven knows what the others must have been like.

  47. #47

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Fine City of Southampton
    Posts
    3,260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
    he was the best offer on the table last time of the few that were interested
    I seem to remember rumours of interest from the US which coincided with all the promotion we were doing stateside, when Krueger was touting us as a growing Champions League bound club (is our US training centre still going?).

    But, of course, we had a sudden change of direction, Krueger stated that we were now "a small club" and Kat's promise to sell us onto someone who would take SFC forward fell flat on it's face. I guess this was the best deal on the table for her.

  48. #48

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    stamping on peoples dreams since 2010
    Posts
    28,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alehouseboys View Post
    I seem to remember rumours of interest from the US which coincided with all the promotion we were doing stateside, when Krueger was touting us as a growing Champions League bound club (is our US training centre still going?).

    But, of course, we had a sudden change of direction, Krueger stated that we were now "a small club" and Kat's promise to sell us onto someone who would take SFC forward fell flat on it's face. I guess this was the best deal on the table for her.
    Yes you’re right, I remember that too and we were setting up some academies out there. Didn’t we play a preseason friendly there too and visit Under Armours HQ? Then all of a sudden it was small club, we should be proud of seeing former players go to bigger clubs etc.

    If Goa managed to convince Kat and the FA he was the right person to take over this club then maybe he is a better sales person than we give him credit for.

  49. #49

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!
    Posts
    18,623

    Default

    Would protests actually bother our owner he doesn't even turn up to games does he?

    I can imagine that angry protests at SMS would probably be lost on him, sat 5000 miles away, while giving the score a cursory look on the internet at full time.

    The only way we are getting rid of this chump is if we get relegated a couple of times and go bust again.

    Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

  50. Default

    An empty stadium for a few games will hurt him but unfortunately it will hurt the team as well.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •